Questions about playstyles

Hi,

I'm making a mod that i hope i'll be able to release one day. And between multiples things i would like to do a little balance. Like making some useless items useful, and all. So everyone has his own playstyle, and i was wondering what people could find useful/useless and why.

1. What is the resource you find the most useless ? Like, a resource you don't even pick up on ground or you let in chest and never use.

(For me the answer will probably be stingers, i usually end with a lot of them in spring and don't need them since i play wilderness most of the time)

2. What is the resource you find the most useful ? The one you would like to have more, the one always lacking.

3. Where is your favorite place for a base ?

4. What biome do you feel the most empty/boring ? Where is your less favorite place for a base ?

5. Are there structures you never do, and if yes, why ?

6. What is your main source of food ?

7. What is the thing you find the most broken, if there is one ? (A structure too powerful, a recipe too easy... Ice as a filler, for example)

8. What is the thing you find the most underpowered ?

Thanks for any answer, they'll all be useful :) You could answer multiple time for each question if you want (like your top 3 of useless items), answer with or without explanation, add questions if you feel like i missed some...

25 minutes ago, Lumina said:

1. What is the resource you find the most useless ? Like, a resource you don't even pick up on ground or you let in chest and never use.

Stingers, bone shards and broken shells. And to a lesser degree, bunny puffs (Still useful, but only for one, specific structure). Hounds teeth, while still quite useful, tend to stack up faster then they're used.

27 minutes ago, Lumina said:

2. What is the resource you find the most useful ? The one you would like to have more, the one always lacking.

Logs. These things are used for almost everything, and they're usually the primary fuel for fire pits. Nightmare fuel is also quite useful (but this is coming from a Maxwell main).

29 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Antlion desert and near or in the ruins. I usually migrate between two camps based on season (Summer and autumn in caves, winter and spring on surface).

31 minutes ago, Lumina said:

4. What biome do you feel the most empty/boring ? Where is your less favorite place for a base ?

Mosaic biome I guess. I'm not really seeing any real advantage for living in one.

32 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Basic farms. There's no good reason to make these. The night light is also kinda useless.

33 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Personally, I live off of bacon and eggs. So that's pretty much just lots of monster meat and normal meats. This can't be healthy in the long term...

34 minutes ago, Lumina said:

7. What is the thing you find the most broken, if there is one ? (A structure too powerful, a recipe too easy... Ice as a filler, for example)

Ice as filler obviously is one. Being able to give cooked eggs to a caged bird for fresh eggs. Bundled supplies stopping all food spoilage.

39 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Pick/Axe. This thing needs more durability at the very least. It feels like a waste of thulecite. The lazy forager is also very underwhelming. It needs significantly more durability, or be refuelable using nightmare fuel.

1. Spider glands and hounds teeth tend to build up for me.

2. Living Logs and Nightmare fuel. I love dark swords and the magi luminescence amulet.

Also volt goat horns.

3. Dragonfly desert.

4. Quarries and most of underground. (Not ruins obviously)

5. Farms, rainometer, giant thermometer and nightlight. They are all just not worth it.

6. Bacon and eggs. 3 monster meat and 1 meat somehow can be converted into a healthy breakfast.

- Hounds moles and koalephant. Low effort meat. One of which conveniently delivers itself to you.

7. Thermal stone is super easy to make and is all you really need for Winter or Summer which is dumb.

8. The Batbat is just too expensive. Either bump up the durability ALOT or make it cheaper to craft.

Night lights are just a waste.

All blow darts are just terrible.

1. Stingers indeed. I never touch those. I ended with three chests full of guano in my last game as well for some reason (bunnies around most caveholes, stacks up fast)

2. Grass, I'm always running around for grass. 

3. The place that has the wormhole to the swamp.. I'm lazy. :p

4. Since recently, that would have to be those big giant forests filled with spiders. I mainly build, so getting rid of that depressing dark green is a task I never want to do again. Mosaic as well of course.

5. Basic Farms

6. Dragonpie & Honey Ham

7. I'd say getting food is a little too easy in a game that has this name. 

8. No idea.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

Hi,

I'm making a mod that i hope i'll be able to release one day. And between multiples things i would like to do a little balance. Like making some useless items useful, and all. So everyone has his own playstyle, and i was wondering what people could find useful/useless and why.

(For me the answer will probably be stingers, i usually end with a lot of them in spring and don't need them since i play wilderness most of the time)

Thanks for any answer, they'll all be useful :) You could answer multiple time for each question if you want (like your top 3 of useless items), answer with or without explanation, add questions if you feel like i missed some...

1. Flint, stingers, and rot.
2. Logs for everything and Nightmare fuel, for swords, bone armor, and sts.
3. Oasis and moonstone for summer above ground
4. The grass biome with a mini meteor biome with no turf in it (It usually has 1 or 2 tall birds, but nothing specific to it that you'd want to reset a world to get like triple mactusks)
5. I never make Night Lights, they are useless when you'll never have an over abundance of fuel
6. Jerky, from pigs and bunnymen. Or honey from tons of bee boxes
7. Bunnymen and tentacles. They can solo beequeen and dragonfly with ease, farm spiders, and farmed easily for loots.
8. Tail o' 3 cats, I wish I could have a use for my 50 tentacle spots and cat tails, and an alternative weapon

2 hours ago, JJburner said:

1. Flint, stingers, and rot.
2. Logs for everything and Nightmare fuel, for swords, bone armor, and sts.
3. Oasis and moonstone for summer above ground
4. The grass biome with a mini meteor biome with no turf in it (It usually has 1 or 2 tall birds, but nothing specific to it that you'd want to reset a world to get like triple mactusks)
5. I never make Night Lights, they are useless when you'll never have an over abundance of fuel
6. Jerky, from pigs and bunnymen. Or honey from tons of bee boxes
7. Bunnymen and tentacles. They can solo beequeen and dragonfly with ease, farm spiders, and farmed easily for loots.
8. Tail o' 3 cats, I wish I could have a use for my 50 tentacle spots and cat tails, and an alternative weapon

Tail o 3 cats has long range and is made to avoid fights and make things re target 

55 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

reminder that glommer's wings, glommer's flower, and phlegm still have no uses within the base game

Not entirely true... glommer's wings and flower can be used as a fuel for fire pits. And phlegm can be eaten. But they're not particularly good uses...

1. Stingers

2. Nightmare fuel

3. Deciduous

4. Mosaic

5. Potted fern, because it looks terrible

6. Bunny farm

7. Wardrobe is too OP Wickerbottom (but I like it)

8. Cat cap, horn turret, and night lights

11 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

(but this is coming from a Maxwell main).

Me too, brotha!

12 hours ago, Lumina said:

Stingers, but I just feed them to the Lureplant.

Logs and nightmare fuel... Need... more... FUEL!

Forests, they look beautiful, so many logs.

Mosaic, It's so dull! And Oasis.

I love using ALL structures even the Thermal Measurer and the Rainometer.

Honey Ham, but I LOVE Guacamole!

Winona Scaled Furnace, but I guess it ain't easy to obtain, having to kill Dragonfly and then trying to kill each other to see who gets the blueprint.

Night Light, I wish the radius was larger OR the duration was longer.

Thanks everyone for your answer :) About the question 6, it was more like, do you use farms, rabbit trap, fight in swamp, spider farm, mushrooms, berries farm..., as your main source of food, rather than recipe, but favorite recipe is an useful information too.

20 hours ago, Lumina said:

Stingers, though they're more useful in DST and Shipwrecked.  Rot and manure for Wigfrid.  Broken shell fragments too, obviously.

Gears and goat horns.

Antlion desert or cave.  Close to MacTusk in winter, possibly even the same screen in DS.

4. What biome do you feel the most empty/boring ?

Rockylands.  No food, no plants, no ponds, no mushrooms, no pig king, no nothing.

Where is your less favorite place for a base ?

Right in the middle of the lava pools.  In between the frog ponds is second, since it's safe in winter and at least it won't all burn instantly.

Nightlight, rainometer and winterometer, obviously.  Although I do pre-build them in Adventure Mode, but that's so I can deploy them and hammer for resources if I need to.

Tent and lean-to: they cost food and time to restore health and sanity.  I could just cook something better than meatballs for the same benefit and save time.

Basic farms, unless I'm building an emergency seed bank.  Doesn't work so well in DST, though.

Improved farms and bee boxes tend to be a low priority, since I have a mostly carnivorous diet.  Drying racks quickly exceed 20, though.

Spiders, moleworms, butterflies, mushrooms and cactus.

Fire farms in DS.

Ice filler.  Shaving herds of 40+ beefalo for fire fuel.

Blow darts.  Very expensive for 100 damage.

Feathered pencils.  All that work for just one mini-sign?  Either make the pencils have 8 uses, or let me make mini-sign-sign-sign-sign-sign-signs again.

Archived