[Game Update] - (BETA) 211169

3 minutes ago, LePietatoLord said:

Don't also forget how the small statues in the normal Ruins have bug like features, and look similar to the shadows. The Head Statue looks a bit similar to Mr Skittish. Also, the mage statue looks like the Terrorbeak, but with a normal head and such.

I think the crawling horror looks like the new statue when it taunts, also the big mouth

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Is it just me or does the weaver have a third eye?

It does look like he does have a third eye maybe that's how he makes the shadow watchers appear, and also, how he can use the unseen hands.

• Like 1

I still find it really hard to believe the "Shadows are the Ancients" theory after this update. The Weaver clearly makes reference that it's an ancient, and it seems to be talking about Them as something different.

And a very interesting thing I'd like to point out for no particular reason: The Weaver seems to know Their true name.

STALKER_ATRIUM_USEGATE
        "Curse Their name!"

• Like 9

Actually I never liked the opinion that Them = shadow creatures either. Like how would be this possible for you to mass-kill many of Them (fuel farming) etc? More like shadow creatures are just their tools, or weapons.

• Like 8

I think its more like, the Ancients became shadows, but the source of power came from Them, the Gods of the world

The end product of using the fuel too much turned them into shadow creatures (Basically what he said was):

4 hours ago, LePietatoLord said:

Head=Skits

Mages=Terrorbeak

New statue=Crawling Horror

By being consumed by the fuel it made them easy to control for Them

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

More like shadow creatures are just their tools, or weapons.

Yea!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spaartan said:

"Metheus..."

If the name "Metheus" has been anagrammed there will be two words which are most likely to be related on Don't Starve Together's lore.

Spoiler

"THE MUSE"

WWbZIEx.png

• Like 10

My first thought was Prometheus.

"Prometheus (/prəˈmiːθiəs/ prə-mee-thee-əs; Greek: Προμηθεύς [promɛːtʰeús], meaning "forethought")[1] is a Titan in Greek mythology, best known as the deity in Greek mythology who was the creator of mankind and its greatest benefactor, who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to mankind."

• Like 3

I just discovered some new quotes in the speech files and have some ideas:

Spoiler

There are new announcements for the gateway as it is destabilising, most of them speaking about monsters approaching or that they (we) should leave. Could it mean that we will have to fight incoming waves of enemies? 

Also I saw that Wendy says about the charging gate "Take us far from here.". Could it mean that there will be really a new world or some new place where we can go?... But as she's the only one saying something like that, I rather believe that maybe she meant that after dying the'll won't be in the DS world anymore?

Also there are quotes that state that the ruins are reset. I find it nice to know when it will happen, I wonder how the auto-regenerating will work?

Oh, I can't wait to see what will happen next! :) 

Also sorry if someone already posted these infos on the forums, but as long I didn't see any such post or topic.

11 hours ago, Spaartan said:

I think the crawling horror looks like the new statue when it taunts, also the big mouth

With how similar the general structure is to the mage, I sorta saw the new statue as being halfway between 'Ancient' and 'Shadow'.

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

I just discovered some new quotes in the speech files and have some ideas:

Hide contents

There are new announcements for the gateway as it is destabilising, most of them speaking about monsters approaching or that they (we) should leave. Could it mean that we will have to fight incoming waves of enemies? 

Also I saw that Wendy says about the charging gate "Take us far from here.". Could it mean that there will be really a new world or some new place where we can go?... But as she's the only one saying something like that, I rather believe that maybe she meant that after dying the'll won't be in the DS world anymore?

Also there are quotes that state that the ruins are reset. I find it nice to know when it will happen, I wonder how the auto-regenerating will work?

Oh, I can't wait to see what will happen next! :) 

Also sorry if someone already posted these infos on the forums, but as long I didn't see any such post or topic.

Been thinking about that too...
Still hoping for something about Charlie. I could see both some sort of encounter with her and this happening, actually. But with all this stuff about a portal, possible invasions, a skeleton telling us that we shouldn't be doing what we're doing and making it sound like what comes afterward will be pretty bad/deserved...what if this whole thing is a roundabout way to world-hop?
Something swarms out and destroys the world, and we escape, taking what we can with us?
...though I'm not sure about that considering that I think everything in DST is now renewable. Even Mandrakes can regenerate now.

Maybe we're supposed to run from the Atrium area because the structure of it is changing. Part of another world dragged in through the portal? Ruins/Atrium just get a new floor layout along with a more complete regen? Who knows.
I remember a conversation a long time ago about complete ruins regeneration, and what could potentially happen to people who were in it at the time (one being that they spawn as ghosts at the nearest normal-cave land).

Sidenote: Max has an interesting quote about the Moon Dial in the caves. Still wondering if there's any significance to the """Moon""". Shadows are all over the caves, so I don't see it as being a reference to Them...unless Them and the Shadows aren't quite as connected as they seem. And given [ the new boss's death ], Charlie has influence in the caves.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Like 2

Thinking closer into it, we're starting to see a concrete distinction between The Ancients and the fuel. If the Clockwork pieces were used as the army and there are shadow versions of the clockwork knights, why didn't the Ancients use those? Unless the shadow pieces were tools made by Them and not the ancients, since it drops the shadow atrium, which has to be some tool that the ancients used in necromancy. It seems that steadily the Ancients used fuel only to create technology, and this whole other sort of living shadow thing is a different entity than conventional magic. I hope if there is a lorebomb drop in this it clears up the ancients so to a point where we don't have to guess everything about them because their line is just getting confusing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Escaped said:

If the Clockwork pieces were used as the army and there are shadow versions of the clockwork knights, why didn't the Ancients use those?

Maxwell made the clockworks, not the Ancients.

BISHOP = "I'm especially proud of that piece.",

BISHOP_NIGHTMARE = "They degrade without proper upkeep.",

ROOK = "A castle for my home.",

ROOK_NIGHTMARE = "The builders have left it in a state of abandonment.",

KNIGHT = "Such quality workmanship!",

KNIGHT_NIGHTMARE = "It looks beyond repair.",

So if Maxwell made them, we can only assume Charlie made the shadow chess pieces seeing as they showed up after Maxwell was dethroned. Charlie gave us the shadow atrium, and she strikes the final blow on the Ancient Fuelweaver. So she seems to know quite a bit of what's going on.

• Like 4

Has the topic of losing to the Ancient Fuel Weaver been discussed?

Once you die they walk to the gateway then it seems to shut off and they crumble. Their final words being "please...".

Am I misunderstanding or did they shut it off? It seems to work perfectly fine until they start messing with it.

Could it be they truly are trying to save the player by killing them? I'd say their fate is a fate worse than death...

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you're wrong here. I heard earlier that Maxwell found the broken clockworks of the ancients (so originally they created them) and he repaired and changed them for his own goals. So it's partially true that he created the clockworks, but they arleady existed in a more or less different form.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it happened this way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

My first thought was Prometheus.

"Prometheus (/prəˈmiːθiəs/ prə-mee-thee-əs; Greek: Προμηθεύς [promɛːtʰeús], meaning "forethought")[1] is a Titan in Greek mythology, best known as the deity in Greek mythology who was the creator of mankind and its greatest benefactor, who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to mankind."

When you mentioned the thing about fire and Mount Olympus, I flipped out. What if the Weaver is calling for DST's version of Prometheus? What if this "Prometheus" brought the nightmare fuel to the world? It could've been Maxwell, or a whole new character, or it is the Weaver themselves. As for Mount Olympus, this could be a whole other dimension or place in the DS world. We don't really know how the nightmare fuel was found, we just know that They got it... somehow. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

On 3/23/2017 at 3:27 AM, The Curator said:

Except thematically, on every level, the Clockworks bear no logical relation to the ancients.

The ancients built nearly everything from Thulecite, and had a very particular smooth and well cut shape to their architecture. The clockworks look like modern steam-punk inventions. The exaggeration of the horse-like faces on the Knight and the Rook, the bulging eye and dome cranium of the bishop, that style of design is absolutely nothing like anything the ancients have. And the metal as well looks nothing like what the ancients use, which makes even less sense since if they were using such a powerful material as Thulecite to build cosmetic statues because they had so much of it; why would they not use it to reinforce their own military. Only damaged clockworks drop Thulecite, fragments, and they are only found in the Ruins specifically. So the fact damaged clockworks are associated with Thulecite proves nothing because its presence is not even consistent and thus it is clearly not an actual material they use.

The technology as well, is nothing like that which the ancients use. The Ruins are extremely primitive, bare bones areas. Yet the Clockworks are made of, wires and clockwork. Why would the ancients build extremely complex machines, when they had magic to defend themselves. And why would this clockwork be used nowhere else in any of their civilization. The existence of clockwork in such a primitive, mythological and old society is completely illogical.

Which suggests that the clockworks came from another source, which is suggested to be far more modern and scientific then the ancients. Especially since the clockworks are based off chess; a surface world human game. Not an ancient subterranean horned magical being game. Meaning the clockworks were potentially used to invade the ancients, or at least the Ruins they left behind. However, because the clockworks in the Ruins are damaged, and do not fight with the nightmares, means that they likely did fight with something. Which in turns means, they probably invaded while the ancients were still there.

Edited by The Curator
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tylordian said:

When you mentioned the thing about fire and Mount Olympus, I flipped out. What if the Weaver is calling for DST's version of Prometheus? What if this "Prometheus" brought the nightmare fuel to the world? It could've been Maxwell, or a whole new character, or it is the Weaver themselves. As for Mount Olympus, this could be a whole other dimension or place in the DS world. We don't really know how the nightmare fuel was found, we just know that They got it... somehow. 

Yeep! That's exactly why it peaked my interest. It could be a coincidence, but if we assume it as truth and place it in the context... it works.

• Like 1

I didn't see anyone else post about this, but after I killed weaver, I keep having pulses, and the ball is growing bigger and bigger, and the red of the ground is glowing more and more, I am waiting it out, it was probably already seen though, I am just observing voice lines, and etc

Edit: Yeah its not doing anything

Edited by Tylordian

I used TMI fix to skip 20 days into the future, and the ball expoded, and now there are small spikes coming from the portal, Maxwell is observing it as "Best not to overuse this power" Also, the ancient key is gone, but the portal is still spiking, I cant put a key back in UPDATE: Skipped another 20 days, spikes are gone, I am going to go through 5 days at a time to see where it all peaks. When I skipped the second time, the spikes left, and a hole opened up, as if I were next to a sinkhole exit, there is light, and I can see the day cycle, but for some reason it is day 8 again? omg

Edited by Tylordian

8 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Which in turns means, they probably invaded while the ancients were still there.

Well, that makes sense. I must agree, it could have happened this way too. Then there is the question: who ruled these clockworks? Why did they invade the ancients?

Though I still think that the ancients could have made the clockworks and used them as their army. Even if the mysterious religion (?) and style of the ancients are so different from this (seemingly) modern technology, these could have been fused to make a super-strong empire. If Maxwell could give Wilson the knowledge to create a magical portal in our technical world They also could have been able to give technological knowledge to the ancients.

Also, if the ancients had such a great magical power, how could these clockworks still defeat them? I can't imagine brute power were stronger than the power of all the gems, thulecite and the fuel.

Similarly, if the ancients had clockworks as their army and protectors these couldn't stand a chance against the nightmares. Maxwell states that "The overuse of fuel was their downfall.", so the ancients were destroyed by the nightmares, not (only) by clockworks, that's why I believe that these were more possibly with the ancients, not against them.

6 minutes ago, Tylordian said:

I used TMI fix to skip 20 days into the future, and the ball expoded, and now there are small spikes coming from the portal, Maxwell is observing it as "Best not to overuse this power" Also, the ancient key is gone, but the portal is still spiking, I cant put a key back in

I really like to browse the speech files and found not long ago that there are new quotes for the gate, these describe that it can be on or off (just as earlier), but there are 3 new states: charging, destabilising, cooldown. I also fought the Weaver so I know that during the fight the gate is "charging", and upon Maxwell's quote you have reached the cooldown period.

I wonder what will (is?) it good for, maybe we'll se in the next update?

Edit: in Maxwell's speechfile: ANNOUNCE_RUINS_RESET = "The cycle begins again.",

Edited by fimmatek
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I really like to browse the speech files and found not long ago that there are new quotes for the gate, these describe that it can be on or off (just as earlier), but there are 3 new states: charging, destabilising, cooldown. I also fought the Weaver so I know that during the fight the gate is "charging", and upon Maxwell's quote you have reached the cooldown period.

I wonder what will (is?) it good for, maybe we'll se in the next update?

I have been skipping one day at a time now, and the nightmare cycle keeps switching, the spikes are still going. Weirdly enough, however, My day count is staying at 9. Unless that is something to do with TMI's skipping. UPDATE: Nothing happened when the spikes disappeared.

Edited by Tylordian