Marriage/Children in Oxygen Not Included

Duplicates aren't really able to interact much with each other at this stage of the game.

I would love to see a feature that allows the Duplicates to marry each other and have babies. 

MARRIAGE

The marriage would require some sort of structure and would require a male and female duplicate who have lived around each other for a certain amount of days.

Benefits of Marriage could be

- Lower stress levels 

- Love bonus perk of some sort (maybe a slight speed boost)

When a husband/wife dies the duplicate it was married to will feel even more stressed then if a regular duplicate has died and have negative speed effects for a certain amount of time. 

CHILDREN

When married (given good conditions, good comfort levels, low stress levels and a nursery of some sort) the duplicates could have a baby. The baby will take a number of days to be born and will require care once it is born by a duplicate until it grows into an adult.

The baby can have a mixture of positive and negative traits from its parents and the presence of one will provide lower stress levels for the entire colony. 

That's all I have so far. Feel free to tell me your opinions on the ideas.

I'd prefer this game stay more as a base simulation than a social simulator. but marriage and children are annoying in EA's Sims games, but that's the market their aimed at. also children won't contribute to your base but will consume resources, so that's a reason not to have them.

unless they get rid of the Duplicant printer, there's no reason to breed your dupes. it would make it more like a high-tech ant farm.:shock:

14 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I'm just going out on a limb here and guess you've never been married.

omfg.. i just burst into laughter...

god damn it.

----

while I quite like the idea, i don't think having children really met with the game theme.

marriage or we could stop at "having intimacy relation" could work.

we just need to setup or have a room/building to do so, like in fallout shelter, they have a room for this kind of stuff.

i guess this is something they will look into far in the future, now is just too soon.

complicated dupe interaction is not the main interest of a lot of player

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

1 hour ago, Kruleworld said:

I'd prefer this game stay more as a base simulation than a social simulator. but marriage and children are annoying in EA's Sims games, but that's the market their aimed at. also children won't contribute to your base but will consume resources, so that's a reason not to have them.

unless they get rid of the Duplicant printer, there's no reason to breed your dupes. it would make it more like a high-tech ant farm.:shock:

Even if Klei don't make this I'm sure some modder will.

3 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

Remember, they are Duplicants, as in, they are printed out from a giant copying machine. They were not designed to be social, they were designed to be a resource that is expendable if that is what is needed.

They are also tagged as "duplicants" and it gives them a stat effect. So maybe they will plan on natural birth or other life forms being able to be controlled in your base. 

aging would be good mechanic i think. now things just dont have value, people arent really punished/rewarded. athletics for example go around 20-25 by cycle 100. everybody becomes a runner, ofc this can be fixed by higher values but having finite dupe life, would make specialized skills more valuable. game losing fun if you just rush trough in full speed, if they make animations, comedy of a situation and players dont even see it then game loses value. It could be optional/higher difficulty.

Duplicants are clones, they can be printed again if they die. The problem is:

-having more dupes not always an advantage

-we dont have requirements, we dont pay for them

Children could be better in some aspects, higher starting values, new  traits, stress responses. The printer using "basic data", and we could mix them into more complex ones. mutations could make generations better and some of them worse. some actions would be dangerous, players could send less valuable dupes to do it.

13 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

Remember, they are Duplicants, as in, they are printed out from a giant copying machine. They were not designed to be social, they were designed to be a resource that is expendable if that is what is needed.

I second this. They are indeed biological-robots (in the original meaning of the word: slaves) not-so-carefully designed, as they still have traits and weaknesses, very much like the early attempts of cars and planes in the past century.

Despite their flaws, their biggest advantage is that they are immediately ready to work once they are created. This production method puts the old way to shame. They maybe don't even come with the required peripherals as they are not needed. After all this is what DNA-engineering is all about: trim the unnecessary.

And... I don't know... marriage and raising children don't mix with their childish appearance and the fact that they weight 30kg, not much for a grown up adult if you ask me.

You know, it might be interesting if they did a sims/GTA mash up where the dupes are also peddling drugs and doing drive-by shootings on the asteroid, then they go home and change diapers.  Then again, I like the game the way it is.

14 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

I agree with Cyberboy2000 about how the Duplicants seem to fit in the setting and feel of the game. Expendable should probably be all of their middle names :)   

Also while marriage and children are an intriguing idea, I worry it might make the game seem (unintentionally or not) like it was leaning toward Fallout Shelter game mechanics.  

As you said, modders will probably come up with something and then we'll be able to witness Dup babies and the massive amounts of Contaminated Water and Dirt that will result. 

2 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

aging would be good mechanic i think.

I'm not having much time to play the game but, last week I was pondering something like this, if aging could be a feature... I think that, besides the obvious fact of timelapse in-game wouldn't be realistic to see a grandpa dupe, if aging would be implemented as a complexity factor, something you'd have to prepare or "counter" somehow, in the end, the effects would be minimal... As I read in the forums, people are already euthanizing dupes due to reactions to stress or stress itself in gas chambers, I believe the same would happen to old dupes.

The balance or safety of the colony as whole > a dupe with high stats. Maybe we need more harsh consequences regarding a dupe's death.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:37 PM, Cyberboy2000 said:

plus there is a material in the game called OOZE with the description reading that it's used to print dupes. 

I don't really like the idea of marriage in the game, Duplicants having some 'loving' and others who they like and hate would be cool. Children would be cool too, could have different skills and traits that duplicants don't have. But as Duplicants aren't really human other problems could show up, woman might not be able to give birth well, maybe give birth to other creatures or maybe ooze.

I'm just here to complain about 

On 3/14/2017 at 8:08 AM, Skaar said:

MARRIAGE

The marriage would require some sort of structure and would require a male and female duplicate 

Can't marry a girl even in space. 

Archived