[Game Update] - (BETA) 208516

8 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

I just don't see why you have to report on such small things that don't affect gameplay at all when there are game breaking bugs that can be addressed *cough* klaus deer spawning on ocean leading to enraged klaus *cough*. 

It isn't a small thing since it made you able to use, for example, lantern + pickaxe + tam o' shanter and mine rocks in the cave or lantern + walking cane + tam o' shanter to travel long distances. This makes you finish tasks faster and gives you a accumulative advantage at long term.

If I had seen the Klaus bug I would report it along with the lantern bug, like I did with a bunch others.

9 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

Being a veteran starver seeing some of these tactics taken away does hurt a lot of people and I don't know if the devs know this maybe cause we dont voice our thoughts on these changes enough.

I don't agree with this statment, because I consider myself a veteran starver and the lantern bug fix won't affect me since there's items like the miner hat that will give basically the same ability to use a tool and have light at the same time, costing one firefly and the head slot. 

What I can really say is if it doesn't hurt the game to where it makes it unplayable it should stay in as that just adds variety and quirks to play styles that people wouldn't think possible.

I also don't agree with this statment, because there was a lureplant bug who made you able to plant it and make it stantly spawn the eyeplantss, it doesn't made the game unplayable but it gave the player a 2 days advantage and for sure wasn't intentional.

Hence my reference to melee  16 years ago they came out with that game and still to today there are new things being found out that a normal player never knew were possible thus changing the way the game can be played amongst all forms of players being newbies casuals or veterans.  This can pretty much lengthen the life of their game  a lot more than expected.

For this there's things like the shadow/snow chester, I don't know how people discovered this (probably looking into the game files) but I believe that discovering things like this (along with some other things) is what is intended to be what makes you keep playing.

so im just saying things so small such as this shouldn't have to be "fixed" as they don't break game play and fall within the realms of the world  @V2C  and well to all the other devs of this game.  We love this game  but maybe have some thought or view on how these can affect how the game is played b4 slapping a hot fix on it

You can be sure they thought and waited a lot before hot fixing it because I wasn't the first one who reported this bug.

Ok, here's an idea: How about they revert the lantern change so it works as it did previously BUT they add a check to see if the player has an empty hand. If the player has something equipped in the hand slot then the lantern stops giving off light. This fixes the tool + lantern exploit but keeps the functionality the lantern had. Or instead of this, give an option to drop it on the ground from the hand slot via right clicking on it like you would use a bush hat.

@V2C, do you think this could be done?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Ok, here's an idea: How about they revert the lantern change so it works as it did previously BUT they add a check to see if the player has an empty hand. If the player has something equipped in the hand slot then the lantern stops giving off light. This fixes the tool + lantern exploit but keeps the functionality the lantern had. Or instead of this, give an option to drop it on the ground from the hand slot via right clicking on it like you would use a bush hat.

@V2C, do you think this could be done?

This is exactly what they did, it's better explained on the bug report xD

Edited by MatheusR31
added a nice comma
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MatheusR31 said:

This is exactly what they did it's better explained on the bug report xD

Oh, uhhhh... ok then. Just ignore me everyone. I have no idea what I'm talking about. (I skimmed over a lot of this cause I'm leaving for work shortly and never had the chance to test it out ingame. I thought the lantern lost it's ability to provide light when unequipped and held)

Edited by Sinister_Fang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MatheusR31 said:

You can be sure they thought and waited a lot before hot fixing it because I wasn't the first one who reported this bug.

i looked through a whole year of the bug tracker reports and saw no one else except you and carlzeph  reported this  and in the case of zeph  only reported after another player told him this in game

13 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

i looked through a whole year of the bug tracker reports and saw no one else except you and carlzeph  reported this  and in the case of zeph  only reported after another player told him this in game

I just said I wasn't the first to report it and I think a span of twenty day is enough to think if this should be fixed/changed or not.

Edited by MatheusR31
I mean "of", not "on"

11 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

It isn't a small thing since it made you able to use, for example, lantern + pickaxe + tam o' shanter and mine rocks in the cave or lantern + walking cane + tam o' shanter to travel long distances. This makes you finish tasks faster and gives you a accumulative advantage at long term.

yeah its a trick that veterans knew while new players didnt still providing a form of difficulty to all forms of players if a newer player came across some one doing they learn and get more experience

I don't agree with this statment, because I consider myself a veteran starver and the lantern bug fix won't affect me since there's items like the miner hat that will give basically the same ability to use a tool and have light at the same time, costing one firefly and the head slot. 

even with this people would still use the miners hat rather than this and I have seen it happen a lot in our server  so on the basis of making 1 item obsolete isnt the case cause there are still advantages to having the miners hat over using this.

11 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

Hence my reference to melee  16 years ago they came out with that game and still to today there are new things being found out that a normal player never knew were possible thus changing the way the game can be played amongst all forms of players being newbies casuals or veterans.  This can pretty much lengthen the life of their game  a lot more than expected.

For this there's things like the shadow/snow chester, I don't know how people discovered this (probably looking into the game files) but I believe that discovering things like this (along with some other things) is what is intended to be what makes you keep playing.

but im saying things the developers didn't intend staying in the game  im sure the whole chester thing is intended since it is in the game . As you said you should be a veteran starver so within the thousands of hours playing this game you should have came up with some interesting mechanics the game has to use with your advantage. that is just what comes with having experience in a game and a higher skill cap. TF2 can also be a culprit here in1 example of rocket jumping which is an exploit of the games physics engine but it is also marked as a higher level thing to do within that game even though it is an "exploit". such in the same as some of the stuff reported here yes some things do need to be fixed but there are also other things that should stay. marking the variety of choice the game has.

11 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

@V2C wow, a feature I suggested was actually implemented :o who would've thought! Also, I'll be a good boy and as a thank you report this niche bug that was recently discovered:

* Hounds and depth worms during their attacks won't spawn at all if the player is standing near an edge of the world.

Oh and another bug that has been RECENTLY occurring:

* ...pengulls don't respawn after a few winters, goddamit >:(

4PgeKbR.jpg

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

yeah its a trick that veterans knew while new players didnt still providing a form of difficulty to all forms of players if a newer player came across some one doing they learn and get more experience

even with this people would still use the miners hat rather than this and I have seen it happen a lot in our server  so on the basis of making 1 item obsolete isnt the case cause there are still advantages to having the miners hat over using this.

but im saying things the developers didn't intend staying in the game  im sure the whole chester thing is intended since it is in the game . As you said you should be a veteran starver so within the thousands of hours playing this game you should have came up with some interesting mechanics the game has to use with your advantage. that is just what comes with having experience in a game and a higher skill cap. TF2 can also be a culprit here in1 example of rocket jumping which is an exploit of the games physics engine but it is also marked as a higher level thing to do within that game even though it is an "exploit". such in the same as some of the stuff reported here yes some things do need to be fixed but there are also other things that should stay. marking the variety of choice the game has.

I better understand now why you want the exploit to stay in the game, but I don't think abusing the lantern drop mechanic when you have alternative choices (miner hat, moggles, even the magiluminescence) is the way to go. Take the exploit of using end table as walls for trapping mobs/closing an area since some mobs can't break it for example, there's walls for that and devs probably intended to use the walls as walls instead of using decorative tables as such, but when people find out that the end table can be used as walls for this kind of thing they don't use walls anymore since end tables are more efficient. The devs probably wanted you to feel the emotion of going to the ruins, crafting a staff and using this said staff to trigger an event, defeating the event and getting a cool reward for your effort, but instead you can stay still waiting for it to end table and easily collect the "reward" (for constructing tables, right? Because that's the only thing besides going into the ruins and getting the staff that you should be rewarded for (Still, both things aren't that hard for experienced players)). But, again, you'll probably just say that people who discovered the exploit should be able to use it for they own benefit or something like this and this discussion won't get anywhere so we should just stop this now (You is you and I don't have any right for saying what you should do but I won't answer any of your future posts about this, I think we are pushing this way too far).

Thanks for discussing with me, I think it's important to take other people opinion into account, but I also think I can't change my mind about this subject.

32 minutes ago, MatheusR31 said:

I better understand now why you want the exploit to stay in the game, but I don't think abusing the lantern drop mechanic when you have alternative choices (miner hat, moggles, even the magiluminescence) is the way to go. Take the exploit of using end table as walls for trapping mobs/closing an area since some mobs can't break it for example, there's walls for that and devs probably intended to use the walls as walls instead of using decorative tables as such, but when people find out that the end table can be used as walls for this kind of thing they don't use walls anymore since end tables are more efficient. The devs probably wanted you to feel the emotion of going to the ruins, crafting a staff and using this said staff to trigger an event, defeating the event and getting a cool reward for your effort, but instead you can stay still waiting for it to end table and easily collect the "reward" (for constructing tables, right? Because that's the only thing besides going into the ruins and getting the staff that you should be rewarded for (Still, both things aren't that hard for experienced players)). But, again, you'll probably just say that people who discovered the exploit should be able to use it for they own benefit or something like this and this discussion won't get anywhere so we should just stop this now (You is you and I don't have any right for saying what you should do but I won't answer any of your future posts about this, I think we are pushing this way too far).

Thanks for discussing with me, I think it's important to take other people opinion into account, but I also think I can't change my mind about this subject.

not really on the case of changing minds but remember that you are affecting other players by reporting things that are rather insignificant and that in itself can be considered selfish whenever we find something cool within the game mechanics we share it with other players so they can also engage the game better

of course there are things that the devs don't intend and its things the that the players find out about have you seen the dev casts on DST? most of the time they don't really know the ins and outs of their own game though they have created it

Edited by EsaiXD
  • Like 1

• Developer
4 minutes ago, ShadyPK said:

Not sure if this was reported but my friends server kept crashing everytime we started up, might be related to rolling back or killing birds/frozen birds

If your server is crashing from killing birds, then you may still be on version 208513.  Try updating to version 208516 to fix this issue.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

wow, a feature I suggested was actually implemented :o who would've thought!

I mean, you're not the only one to suggest ruin resource refreshing, so....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V2C said:

If your server is crashing from killing birds, then you may still be on version 208513.  Try updating to version 208516 to fix this issue.

It's been happening since this most recent update, I'm not sure what it is. but we're on the 3rd Autumn and after a few minutes or less the server disconnects/crashes. Might be related to frozen birds but I'm not sure. We also did roll back a couple times too

2 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

not really on the case of changing minds but remember that you are affecting other players by reporting things that are rather insignificant and that in itself can be considered selfish whenever we find something cool within the game mechanics we share it with other players so they can also engage the game better

What's more selfish, rightfully reporting what is a bug in the game's code, or shaming people for doing it because you want to bypass restrictions in the game?

If it concerns you so much, it might be worth creating a mod to make this 'official'. Heck, I'm tempted to do it, but there's no guarantee I'll get it done anytime soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Corvidae said:
2 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

What's more selfish, rightfully reporting what is a bug in the game's code, or shaming people for doing it because you want to bypass restrictions in the game?

If it concerns you so much, it might be worth creating a mod to make this 'official'. Heck, I'm tempted to do it, but there's no guarantee I'll get it done anytime soon.

well no we are in beta which means every update is open for testing and can be reverted if the masses desire so this is possible to change back as there was no real change and it is just taking out a playstyle that the game had to offer

I strongly disagree with taking out the lantern trick. I understand that it's not intended but if you don't like it you don't have to use it. If your siblings going to a party you don't have to go too just don't go tell mom and ruin the fun for everyone. It's clearly not ruining the game or glitching out any core features but for some reason someone felt the need to report that because they don't approve of others using it. I say put it back so the majority of players can continue to utilize it and the person who's uptight can play without it like they have been.

• Like 2

I always feel that the ability to hold an item on the cursor while walking (and doing many other things) is pretty weird.  It's like a free inventory coming from no where.

In single version, having something on the cursor doesn't allow you to work on other things by pressing the spacebar.

Why is that different in DST? I really want some information. (I hope I made it clear.;) )

• Like 1

I've always wondered about that one too...after playing DST for a while, I get _spoiled_ and forget I can't do that anymore on DS!  : P

EDIT:  I have no opinion on this bug/exploit/strategy/whatever, as I've never used it...but I _do_ know that I've always used a miner's hat whenever I know I'm going to be running around in the dark a lot, and have time to make one.  For exactly the reasons said in this thread:  to have my hands free for other tools!

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica

5 hours ago, Maestromatic said:

I understand that it's not intended but if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

No matter what the reason is, this is a terrible excuse when dealing with a multiplayer game. Other people can, and will, use whatever it is that bothers you. And if it's something that benefits you, then you're at a disadvantage for not using it.

Just want to be clear that I'm not referring to the lantern trick, but anything that you might use this excuse for. It might work fine for a singleplayer game, but not for anything with multiplayer.

• Like 10

On 3/1/2017 at 5:31 AM, yisishoujo said:

Now patch this

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av8871179/

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av8834588/

players get to the sea by placing a wardrobe/meat bulb/spider egg. (also possible sometimes by using a lazy explorer.)

And this:

hound/depth worm attack can be avoided just by standing by the edge.

No, they're too busy "fixing" silly stuff like the lantern "bug". Meh.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

No matter what the reason is, this is a terrible excuse when dealing with a multiplayer game. Other people can, and will, use whatever it is that bothers you. And if it's something that benefits you, then you're at a disadvantage for not using it.

like i said there are some downsides to using it that the miner hat moggles magi dont have which is why its unique in its own sense kind of explain more into it in my thread on this

and i know your post is not based off of the bug but this is just to give more information

Edited by EsaiXD