How To Train Your Fluffball?

I'm sure everybody has noticed this and it's probably already been mentioned somewhere I'm just not seeing, but...your pets can have different adjectives now!  Mine became a _Crafty_ Kittykit halfway through my last session!

Okay, you wiki completionist secret-delver types....GO!  What are the adjectives?  Do all the pets have the same ones or is it tailored to the species ("Crafy" would seem to be a kitcoon-specific thing, but I dunno).  How do they get each one and, of course, what does this mean to their behaviour (and...abilities, in the future?)  Like with raising beefalo to come out chubby, warlike or fast.  There's gotta be a pattern to it.

...Notorious

Mine seems to be jumping in the air every now and then, but unfortunately every time he's done this was right when I was about to start moving again, which of course means he starts running after me again instead.  So...I think I'm cutting off part of the animation by accident.  Whoops.

I know mine isn't going to end up as a combat one.  He's a very sensible fluffball--the exact OPPOSITE of Abigail.  As in, he gets the hell _away_ from tentacles.  : P  (My real life cat, however, would basically try to beat up the world.)

As for what I've done...all I can think of is:  His diet is varied but nothing rotten/poisononus/raw meat--nothing I wouldn't feed my human character, in other words--I try to feed him whenever he starts acting hungry unless there's an emergency going on, and I pet him frequently because adorable. That's the only info I can add for now.  (shrug)

...Notorious

5 hours ago, Weird Wanderer said:

Combat, wellfed, playful, affectionate, and crafty are the traits. I don't know how to get them or what they do though :(

Combat? Well fed...

Hmmm... These must have some use in the future...

(Also, who's hoping for a Timber Wolf Varg skin? Like, a silvery one... Baby... Or a Calico Kitcoon!)

7 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

(Also, who's hoping for a Timber Wolf Varg skin? Like, a silvery one... Baby... Or a Calico Kitcoon!)

I myself want a Black Kitcoon ....I am curious how these strings will work in the future. (please stay out of danger Nightshade aka my Kittykit)

Well, mine's "crafty" too and I feed mine enough...I think?

As for the skins, my kitcoon ALREADY looks kinda like my real cat!  : P  He's a grey-and-black tabby.  The main difference is that my real-life cat has white on his belly and white paws.  Well, and no raccoon mask.

But yeah, he's already kinda similar.  :D

...Notorious

On 25/11/2016 at 10:54 PM, Weird Wanderer said:

Combat, wellfed, playful, affectionate, and crafty are the traits. I don't know how to get them or what they do though :(

Pet traits are dependent on the actions you perform.  Each relevant action gives or takes away "points" to a specific trait (actions related to the already dominant trait receives an extra 10% in "points").  The trait with the highest "points" value becomes the dominant pet trait, but "points" also decay over time.

The traits are as follows:

• Affectionate
    Petting your pet increases points
  • Combat
    Fighting/killing monsters increases points (small creatures don't count)
    Dying decreases points
  • Crafty
    Unlocking recipes, finishing work on an item (walls excluded), and building items/structures increase points
  • Playful
    Letting your pet play (by itself or with others) increases points
  • Wellfed
    Feeding your pet (favorite foods get a 50% bonus multiplier; freshness of food also affects values)
    Letting your pet go into the "perish" hunger state reduces points

The favorite foods of each pet:

"sheepington": {favoritefood="guacamole"}
"pupington": {favoritefood="monsterlasagna"}
"kittington": {favoritefood="fishsticks"}
"dragonling": {favoritefood="hotchili"}
"glomling": {favoritefood="taffy"} / playmatetags={"glommer"}

The dominant trait allows for a particular animation (i.e. critter emote) to happen.  Having a wellfed dominant trait also affects how your pet's hunger max/min values are calculated.  You can find some of the animations in this post.  

And here are the relevant tuning values:

CRITTER_TRAITS =
	COMBAT		= {inc=0.002, decay=1},
	WELLFED		= {inc=5.00,  decay=2},
	PLAYFUL		= {inc=0.20,  decay=1},
	AFFECTIONATE	= {inc=1.00,  decay=2},
	CRAFTY		= {inc=0.25,  decay=1},

CRITTER_TRAIT_DECAY_DELAY = seg_time,
CRITTER_TRAIT_INITIAL_DOMINATE_DELAY = total_day_time * 15,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_DELAY = total_day_time * 4,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_RETRY_DELAY = total_day_time * 2,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_DELAY_VARIANCE = seg_time * 4,

CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_COMBAT_EMOTE_DELAY = seg_time * 0.25,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_COMBAT_LOOP_CHANCE = 0.75,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIN_AFFECTIONATE_EMOTE_DELAY = seg_time * 0.5,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIN_PLAYFUL_DELAY = seg_time * 0.1,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_HUNGERTIME_MIN = total_day_time * 3.25,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_HUNGERTIME_MAX = total_day_time * 5.5,

@V2C There's a typo for the affectionate/playful delay in the tuning file; it says traiN instead of traiT.

15 hours ago, Instant-Noodles said:

Pet traits are dependent on the actions you perform.  Each relevant action gives or takes away "points" to a specific trait (actions related to the already dominant trait receives an extra 10% in "points").  The trait with the highest "points" value becomes the dominant pet trait, but "points" also decay over time.

The traits are as follows:

• Affectionate
    Petting your pet increases points
  • Combat
    Fighting/killing monsters increases points (small creatures don't count)
    Dying decreases points
  • Crafty
    Unlocking recipes, finishing work on an item (walls excluded), and building items/structures increase points
  • Playful
    Letting your pet play (by itself or with others) increases points
  • Wellfed
    Feeding your pet (favorite foods get a 50% bonus multiplier; freshness of food also affects values)
    Letting your pet go into the "perish" hunger state reduces points

The favorite foods of each pet:

"sheepington": {favoritefood="guacamole"}
"pupington": {favoritefood="monsterlasagna"}
"kittington": {favoritefood="fishsticks"}
"dragonling": {favoritefood="hotchili"}
"glomling": {favoritefood="taffy"} / playmatetags={"glommer"}

The dominant trait allows for a particular animation (i.e. critter emote) to happen.  Having a wellfed dominant trait also affects how your pet's hunger max/min values are calculated.  You can find some of the animations in this post.  

And here are the relevant tuning values:

CRITTER_TRAITS =
	COMBAT		= {inc=0.002, decay=1},
	WELLFED		= {inc=5.00,  decay=2},
	PLAYFUL		= {inc=0.20,  decay=1},
	AFFECTIONATE	= {inc=1.00,  decay=2},
	CRAFTY		= {inc=0.25,  decay=1},

CRITTER_TRAIT_DECAY_DELAY = seg_time,
CRITTER_TRAIT_INITIAL_DOMINATE_DELAY = total_day_time * 15,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_DELAY = total_day_time * 4,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_RETRY_DELAY = total_day_time * 2,
CRITTER_TRAIT_DOMINATE_DELAY_VARIANCE = seg_time * 4,

CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_COMBAT_EMOTE_DELAY = seg_time * 0.25,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_COMBAT_LOOP_CHANCE = 0.75,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIN_AFFECTIONATE_EMOTE_DELAY = seg_time * 0.5,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIN_PLAYFUL_DELAY = seg_time * 0.1,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_HUNGERTIME_MIN = total_day_time * 3.25,
CRITTER_DOMINANTTRAIT_HUNGERTIME_MAX = total_day_time * 5.5,

@V2C There's a typo for the affectionate/playful delay in the tuning file; it says traiN instead of traiT.

Chapeau bas for this!!!

Now, I'm rather perplexed by how I'm apparently worse-off NOT feeding my vargling monster foods. And petting her. Same with crafting. I'd also like to know how to play beyond petting.

10 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Chapeau bas for this!!!

Now, I'm rather perplexed by how I'm apparently worse-off NOT feeding my vargling monster foods. And petting her. Same with crafting. I'd also like to know how to play beyond petting.

I mean hounds and spiders love monster food, so there is some sense in that. I think having them near other pets is playing but not sure how to do it on their own.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

I mean hounds and spiders love monster food, so there is some sense in that. I think having them near other pets is playing but not sure how to do it on their own.

Time for a diet change then...

I guess I could get Sally near butterflies and see if she does anything. Sadly other people on that server are too busy eating up all the food I and I alone get to craft pets.

Heh.  I'm the only one who even _has_ a pet so far, in my current world.  I guess my kitty turned "crafty" because I was making a lot of improvements to the base that day? Interesting...

(And I'd totally make more fishsticks if the nearest ponds weren't obnoxiously far away.)

Anyway KUDOS, InstantNoodles, that is _precisely_ the kind of information I was looking for!  Way more comprehensive than I was expecting this early, too.  :)

...Notorious

Looks like tonight's patch changed pet traits around, mainly:

• Affectionate trait no longer exists (previous Affectionate points are transferred to Playful)
  • Crockpot foods now give bonuses
  • Spoiled food is now differentiated from stale food
  • Favorite food bonus greatly increased (to x5 from x1.5 before)
  • Pets can revert to a trait-less state if all traits have a negative point total
  • Some multipliers and formulas were altered

So, here's an updated and more-detailed breakdown of how traits work...

As noted before, player actions gives or takes away points to each trait.  The trait with the highest total becomes the dominant trait, but points also decay.  

The ceiling for a trait is 40 points while the floor is -12 points.  Each relevant action does the following:

Points Per Action = (Bonus) x (Action) x (Increment)

The bonus is 10% if the action is related to the already dominant trait (i.e. 1.1 in the formula); otherwise the bonus is 0% (i.e. 1 in the formula). The trait specific values are as follows:

• COMBAT | Increment = 0.003 (Note: Fighting small creatures don't count; only monsters)
    Dying = -5/Increment
    Hitting a monster = Damage Done
    Killing a monster = 100
  • CRAFTY | Increment = 0.25
    Building an Item = 0.5
    Building a Structure = 1
    Finishing Work = 0.2 (Note: Walls don't count)
    Unlocking a Recipe = 2
    Deploying an Item = 0.25 <-- This is commented out in the code, so it doesn't currently give points
  • PLAYFUL | Increment = 0.20
    Petting Pet = 1
    Petting Pet after it does its Nuzzle Emote = 5
    Pet Playing (by itself/with others) = 1
  • WELLFED | Increment = 0.66
    Pet goes into "Perish" state = -1

Feeding food is further modified by the type of food and freshness:
    Action = (Bonus) x (Food) x (Freshness)
    If a pet is fed while it's in the "Stale" state, it gets a 50% bonus (i.e. 1.5 in formula).  Otherwise, 0% bonus (i.e. 1 in formula).
    Favorite Food = 5 (see other post for each pet's favorite food)
    Crockpot Food = 4
    Other Food = 1
    Fresh Freshness = 1
    Stale Freshness = 0.5
    Spoiled Freshness = 0.1

On the other hand, points decay 16 times per in-game day, each time by:

Decay = (1/16) x (Trait)

Currently, Trait = 1 for each of the four traits, but this wasn't the case before tonight's patch. 

---

On 28/11/2016 at 5:36 AM, Arlesienne said:

I'd also like to know how to play beyond petting.

Petting isn't actually playing, but it does increase Playful points now.  Playing is when a pet does its playing animations.  It doesn't appear you can force a pet to play (at least not as of tonight's patch).  However, a playful dominant traited pet will play more often (and seek out playmates at a further distance) than a different traited pet.  

EDIT: 

On 28/11/2016 at 10:27 PM, GiddyGuy said:

@Instant-Noodles Is there any typos?...perhaps "scrafty"? Or something close to that?

12 hours ago, Kittydub said:

Quick question too, what does it mean when he's Scrappy? Am I not feeding him enough or something. 

https://postimg.org/image/pqgaoty61/

(Don't mind that spoiling tag, the Show Me mod is on and it's wrong anyway.)

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that the traits I listed are the internal coding names.  Here are the string equivalents (as seen as adjectives on pets):

CRITTER_TRAITS =
	COMBAT		= "Scrappy",
	WELLFED		= "Plump",
	PLAYFUL		= "Peppy",
	CRAFTY		= "Crafty",

@Kittydub In your case, you have a Combat Traited Kittykit.  
@GiddyGuy And by "scrafty", I'm guessing you mean Scrappy also?  If so, then you have a combat pet too.

EDIT #2:  Oops, I also neglected to mention when dominant traits are assigned.  As of Monday's patch:

• The first dominant trait is assigned 10 in-game days after obtaining a pet
  • After obtaining a dominant trait, dominant traits are reassigned every 1.75 to 2.25 in-game days
  • If a pet goes trait-less after having had a dominant trait, then it can next gain a dominant trait in 3.75 to 4.25 in-game days

Quick question too, what does it mean when he's Scrappy? Am I not feeding him enough or something. 

https://postimg.org/image/pqgaoty61/

(Don't mind that spoiling tag, the Show Me mod is on and it's wrong anyway.)

@Instant-Noodles Thank you for your quick reply! Good to know he's not scrapped for food like someone would be scrapped for cash. 

Archived