Why do most people not like the shipwreck characters

During my poll when I took results the shipreck characters got no votes except one for warly and one for wilbur while most average around four votes to six votes. So I just want to know why people don't like the shipwreck characters is it just them or is it that you don't like the world of shipwreck so you don't like the exclusive characters. I'm curious so down below please explain your reasons I just want to know cause I'm a nosy snitch.

Other than the seemingly common distaste for Shipwrecked as a whole here a lot of people seem to agree on all 4 having weaker or 'uninteresting' stats compared to everyone else. Relating to that I feel like I understand why they may feel this way but along with you I'd like to see some more reasons, if any, from the people who don't enjoy the sw characters...

And honestly, I feel like the shipwrecked characters not canonically being in DST is probably a large factor here too.

@CheeseNuggets101 Well it could be a combintation of a poor launch with the bugs then when they saw the characters some on the stuff they messed with just looking at them I thought they would be bad like Woodlegs constant sanity drain on land I thought that was terrible unti i played him and the others and they are not that bad.

Now the only character I don't like is wilbur because his hunger maniplutation annoys me with his timed running if his running could be toggled with a key that would fix all my issues with him.

In short my opinion is bad launch with rumors of bugs and characters that messed with unfamiliar mechanics that most weren't used to.

They're just not as interesting as the base game or RoG characters, or just become obsolete later in the game.

Walani - Surfboard becomes useless as soon as you craft anything better than a raft. Faster dry speed is the only thing she has going for her at that point. Might as well be playing Wilson if you get past day 10.

Warly - Turns hunger from something you deal with occasionally into a complete chore. Faster drain rates offsets his bigger stomach, and penaltys for eating the same thing just means you have to scramble more for different ingredients. Crockpot is nice I suppose. Chef Pouch is the only big advantage he has otherwise.

Wilbur - An obviously rushed replacement for Watricia. Only real practical ability he has is his ability to run. Everything else is just a gimmick that doesn't really help much with anything.

Woodlegs - He's the only good character in Shipwrecked I'd argue. He was even OP when he was first added because he couldn't drown.

To me, they're way too much very two-dimensional as characters for Don't Starve. I think they could have been good, but as characters they really need improvements in their abilities and cons as well as some better ideas in aesthetics and concepts behind their creation.

Like, Walani is a hippy-like surfboarder... just... so generic!

Warly is an Italian cook. Cool, you're going somewhere, but then... that's it? I mean, I like the idea of a character being experienced in cooking with a portable crock pot, but it seems like he's based off of a cliche that isn't even that fun in a game like Don't Starve.

Wilbur... If there's any character which proves the idea that one of the Klei devs suggested with the whole "we don't want anymore weird animal or creature-like characters" is a good point, then Wilbur is the best representation of how bad you can really get. As a mod he might be quite fantastic, with the whole tail-holding thing while running, but as an original character of the game... I'm sorry, but no, at least not like this. The whole idea of him being "the monkey king" is just a bizarre childs-play and a bit cringey, if you ask me.

Woodlegs for me is probably a bit like Wilbur in his concept; the whole pun of "wood legs" and him actually having two peg legs for legs seems quite interesting, but as a character as a whole he's a bit too much of a childs-play pirate cliche. He's more like a worse replacement for someone like Wallace, if you asked me.

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Warly is an Italian cook. Cool, you're going somewhere, but then... that's it? I mean, I like the idea of a character being experienced in cooking with a portable crock pot, but it seems like he's based off of a cliche that isn't even that fun in a game like Don't Starve.

Random pointing: Warly is not an Italian cook.

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Wilbur... If there's any character which proves the idea that one of the Klei devs suggested with the whole "we don't want anymore weird animal or creature-like characters" is a good point, then Wilbur is the best representation of how bad you can really get. As a mod he might be quite fantastic, with the whole tail-holding thing while running, but as an original character of the game... I'm sorry, but no, at least not like this. The whole idea of him being "the monkey king" is just a bizarre childs-play and a bit cringey, if you ask me.

I think he's a good character, gameplay-wise. When the player learns to manage his hunger, his speed bonus becomes awesome in a RoG world. The reason he sucks in SW is because he barely gets to move around on tiny islands. If I remember correctly, his speed bonus does not apply to boats. He's great for RoG because he can uncover the map in less time than other players. I dunno, the manure is a very small plus for me. Dunno about the "cringe" factor, that's just subjective. I like him.

(Child's play? He's a task that is easily accomplished? Also, it's child's play, not childs-play.)

I hate him. What person in their right mind would turn down food in a survival situation? Plus, his portable crockpot isn't all that great. His hat looks nice, I guess. Also, he's not Italian, he's French. Warly: "No part of you will go to waste, cochon!" (Cochon being French slang for pig/piglet.) Although, I find his steel drum voice very fun.

Like, Walani is a hippy-like surfboarder... just... so generic!

I like her voice. The ukulele grew on me. I haven't seen a lot of surfer chicks in media lately, so I don't know what makes her stand out as generic.

Wait @EuedeAdodooedoe all the characters are cliche's all of the roster personaitly can be summed up in one sentence and I think woodlegs is interesting I played him on Rog and it was a lot of fun and him in shipwrecked is ALL THE EXPLOSIONS 

3 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

I find his steel drum voice very fun.

All yeah that is one thing I can agree on his voice is great I thought that warly was interesting to shake things up a new concept but he was kind of a dud because you had to know a lot of dishes to keep him happy but in early game where there isn't much food you can give someone he kind of falls apart especially if something happens and your stocks are destroyed but I like the idea I think his execution though was off.

Walni is an infinate sanity machine plus I like here surfing music plus she's the only one that can ride big waves which is so helpful in boss fights if you have to run away She is just very explortary with very subtle perks and I think thats why people don't like her because they feel like she doesn't impact the game at all

Wilbur is my least favorite just because his run is not toggable @TheKingDedede from what I know his speed is factored in so you have to be boating for three seconds for his speed boost to kick in but ship speed and land speed are two different things so his boost doesn't make that much of an impact on sea as of land. I can see why they added Wilbur though so they can have a creature commander like webber but the thing is monkey aren't as good as spiders especially since the spider warroires in shipwreck where they get poison which is really useful in that mode. Monkeys do have a ranged attack though they rarely use it on other mobs other then you. even though monkeys as wilbur will constantly give you things as wilbur I rather have an good attack force then servants and I think that is where Wilbur fell apart that doesn't mean he is bad though 

I can see wilbur manure being really good for me since i always have surplus of manure I won't have to make boomerangs or birdtraps again yay.

For me personally I never play any of the sw characters bc their perks/disadvantages dont fit into my playstyle.  I do like Woodlegs, his ability to spawn treasure with his special hat is a lot of fun and can make certain items renewable that are not generally renewable.

Probably down to them having very SW-centric perks.

I really like Walani and Warly's spoken lines though. each of them have more going on than their core concept lines.

Also I'd guess Warly is probably from a french-speaking country or perhaps just had some training in french cuisine. Few DS characters have their origin nailed down squarely but for most of them there's hints.

Archived