Weirdobob's Mega Thread Made of Suggestions and Bugs That The Devs Need to See or sumthin

WEIRDOBOB'S MEGA DST THREAD OF SUGGESTIONS AND BUG FIXES.

Hi. You know who I am.

I play this game a lot. At least, I like to think I do. I'm still a bit of a noob, however, just 420 hours in DST and 231 in the base game. I put the "Casual" in "Filthy Casual"

Anywho, As I've played this game, I've noticed some things. Of course, All those things I can't remember off the top of my head, so expect this thread to get lots of edits and additions. Also, feel free to call me out on anything you want at all - While some of these make sense for gameplay, some are my opinion. I am open to almost all criticism, just, as the rest of the forum goes, keep it polite, keep it classy, and don't get your knickers in a bunch, these are suggestions, not 100% implemented mechanics.

I also apologize if I say anything any one else of you already has (like, if I suggest something you have)

Also, I would really appreciate dev feedback on some of this, sort of reassurance that they actually read this. Maybe their thoughts & opinions.

Bugs:

• The Tallbird bug
Spoiler

Well, you saw the tags, (or didn't and you're looking now) and are probably wondering what the fabled "Tallbird bug" is that I'm known to rant about. Tallbirds, and by extension, teenbirds, are coded to kill each other. Seemingly on purpose.

This is bad.

Now, I know I'm a little bit of a loon when it comes to these things, seeing as the last time I accidentally hit a tallbird I was legitimately sick to my stomach and had to put the game aside for a while. But here's the deal. Tallbirds kill their own smallbirds that they're raising. And I know there's code to try and prevent it.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

1: It doesn't work.
2: It can be easily worked around by just making tallbirds not target smallbirds/teenbirds, instead of trying to add whatever foo-faw you're doing there.
3: No, it doesn't cut down on "Overpopulation", it's literally ruining a planned feature. If you don't want tallbird overpopulation, then just make them not hatch their eggs! It's super easy!

Anyway, there's my rant on that. Just had to get that out there as I've been talking about this thing for ages and have directly contacted devs to literally no replies, yet they'll reply to pretty much any other random steam bloop I do. Funny how that works!

• The smallbird bug

Spoiler

Alright, this one Isn't that bad. Simply, sometimes in spring, a smallbird will suddenly appear out of nowhere and follow your player.

I have no idea what causes this to happen.

• Frog/Lureplant Behavior

Spoiler

I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but when a frog attacks (or attacked, again, don't know if it was fixed) a lureplant with meat, it causes an extra meat to flop out each time, which means that you can just see a bunch of leafy meats sitting around and a very disappointed looking frog. This is (or was) a very powerful exploit.

• The tallbird egg issue

Spoiler

No, it's not the fact that a hatching tallbird egg is more stat-replenishing than a normal/cooked one. Even though that's insanely sadistic and evil and I hate it. The egg counts as a trigger for bunnymen, making them scream out "MURDERER!" to you despite you currently raising new life.

Or I mean, being sadistic and planning to eat it.

• The guardian issue

Spoiler

For some reason, and this is absolutely hilarious, sometimes the guardian in the ruins spawns with an odd Y axis point. I believe if you use the console to spawn multiple at a time, they actually stack on top of each other, to make it look even goofier.

Suggestions:

• Full Moon Stuff

Yeah, this event's been getting more attention, which I like, but I have some ideas for even more cool bits about it!

1: Bring back the mushtrees, I love these things, and the spores would make them look extra pretty on a full moon.

2: Make ponds on the surface into the ruins ponds - Just for the full moon night, I think it'd add some extra prettiness to the area. Maybe make it so you need to have activated the moon caller staff/mined the clockwork statues for these events to occur?

• Sketches/Rare Blueprints

Make these things not vanish on use. I killed the toadstool with a team and it sucks that only the 1 person given those blueprints is capable of using them, because when they're off the server, well whoops, now you gotta kill him again to do something with those shroom skins.

• Buildables

Alright, there's gonna be a lot of stuff here.

1: Salt lick. No big issue, just make it so it has the smaller effect area when building it, so you are capable of putting it in small pens for if you want a smaller pen rather than forcing people to make bigger pens to place it.

2: A new storage area for weapons/tools/armor - Well, it's either leave it on the floor or have each one take up a chest slot, so a nice display rack with maybe more slots that can only hold equipment would be nice. Or maybe just a fancy coatrack you can craft in the "Fashion" tab? Cheaper than a chest but can only store armor?

3: Meat effigy, again, going with the theme of armor storage, make it so you can put some on the effigy? It'd be nice, when you revive and break it the armor pops off and is right there waiting for you. Sure, same thing can be done by just placing armor next to it, but it'd still look nice. 

4: Doors - pls

• Reviving

Alright, I find this very annoying. You die late in the day. Night is coming. 4 seconds left on the timer. You find it- the touchstone. You use it.
Night time. You have no resources.
You die. Again.
The timer continues, your efforts were wasted.

Make it so when you revive, you spawn a small light, like the ones where when you connect in late day.

• Resources

I dunno about these as much.

1: Fireflies - Make these come out of tumbleweeds, or make the florid postern spawn them around it or something. Sometimes people go berserk trying to capture all these things and there's none left.

2: Fishing - Make it so if you go fishing, there's like a 1% chance to pull up a trinket/reed/something instead. It'd add more reason to go fishing, as hardly anyone does it as is. Maybe make it so there's also a rare chance to pull out a flup while fishing, to add a small fight and eyeshots? I dunno.

• Shadow Atrium

When in your inventory, causes you to survive a lethal strike (or instantly revive on death), with the sleeping effect the life giving amulet has, but also makes you revive with full stats, pardon sanity maybe, as it is a shadow item after all. 

• Guardian

Probably the most requested thing in Don't Starve Together history, make this big bundle of joy a little more tricky to fight - And also make him able to be respawned!

• Wigfrid

Couple of things about our wonderful wiggy here.

1: Some of her quotes still break her character. I made an old thread about this issue, but it appears I still missed some, such as the batcave, closed rabbit holes, and maybe some other things. Read my reasoning on this here. (And no @ImDaMisterL, it is not okay for a periodic character break in Wigfrid, seeing as she's so far wrapped up in being a warrior she literally refuses to eat anything but meat and seemingly heals/makes herself sane through sheer belief that she's a warrior alone.)

2: Change her starting items. - This would make her a little harder to play, sure, and that's kind of necessary. For a character as topsy turvy powerful as her, making her more challenging isn't an issue. But here's my idea - Either make her not spawn with the meat, or make her not spawn with her helmet/spear. You don't need both. The meat keeps you fed more than long enough to scrounge around and get enough resources for her gear. And if she starts with her gear, she doesn't need to start with a free meal. And if you think that means it's too tricky for if you join in mid winter or something, I guess it's your fault for trying to join a server where nobody wants to help you in mid winter...

• Webber

Change his starting inventory. Remove the spider egg from him. Please. Thanks. This is necessary. I'm tired of joining servers where the portal is surrounded by spider queens on day 4.

• Beefalo

1: Add armor for beefalo, maybe make it 4 times as expensive as normal player armors, just something to protect our beloved beefalo buddies.

2: When domesticated, give beefalo slightly bigger health. Yes, 1,000 is no laughing matter, but they can still get pummeled easily by lots of things due to their sometimes idiotic A.I.

3: Make it so when you ride a beefalo, you can see it's health/hunger. This would make management of the beefalo so much easier.

• Glommer wings

An entire section dedicated to glommer wings! What joy.

1: Make glomglom require them rather than glommer goop, it gives you something to do with those wings. Remember glommer always by having part of him follow you around making smallbird noises.

2: A special helmet. Maybe marble, nightmare fuel, and glommer wings, a powerful helmet with a powerful price. Sure beats the football helmet.

3: The glossamer saddle. Maybe instead of silk, make it require glommer wings.

• Tomatoes

I had this idea for a while, thought I'd mention it again. Farmable tomatoes - they'd just be another vegetable(or i guess fruit) you can grow, but, you could equip them and throw them at players. I think it'd be funny.

If you have any other suggestions and thoughts, feel free to post them here, I'm going to be editing my thread as I remember my suggestions/find more.

> Gloomer wings being ingredient for Glossamer saddle

> Thinks of Flying Beefalo.

Anyway i'm with you on the Beefalo part. But i wish we could see the domestication, health and Obidience level of Beefalo whenever u ride it (Like boats in Shipwrecked)

and a way to carry stuff with beefalo just like Cargo boat. Klei please

• Developer
27 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

it is not okay for a periodic character break in Wigfrid, seeing as she's so far wrapped up in being a warrior she literally refuses to eat anything but meat and seemingly heals/makes herself sane through sheer belief that she's a warrior alone.

Meh, comical relief.

Wigfrid should definitely break character, especially when she is also playing a Shepherd role (Wigfrid/Winnie statues.)

Nobody is going to hold that warrior crap ALL the time, naturally in DST she'd break character, but not in DS.

18 minutes ago, M.P said:

and a way to carry stuff with beefalo just like Cargo boat. Klei please

Storage beefalo. Gets 6 slots available, moves slower, doesn't deal as much damage. Might be a good idea, but how would it get this tendency? Maybe having it stay next to chests all day long? :p

5 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Meh, comical relief.

Comical relief is jokes, not broken character. The quotes aren't funny, they're just sort of... there. They also aren't intended to be jokes, or comical. C'mon L, I thought you read the quotes.

1 minute ago, Vargling said:

Wigfrid should definitely break character, especially when she is also playing a Shepherd role (Wigfrid/Winnie statues.) (what statues?)
Nobody is going to hold that warrior crap ALL the time, naturally in DST she'd break character, but not in DS.

Insanity is a crazy thing. It makes people believe the impossible. Wigfrid is downright insane at this point, because I mean, who would try to be a viking in the middle of nowhere, struggling to be alive, when you know full well of other survival capabilities. And also, some of these broken character quotes are in DS. Hi again, Danny!

Also, as for your first point, about Winnie. I wasn't aware Winnie existed in the game, and was thus, canon.

Just now, Weirdobob said:

Storage beefalo. Gets 6 slots available, moves slower, doesn't deal as much damage. Might be a good idea, but how would it get this tendency? Maybe having it stay next to chests all day long? :p

Comical relief is jokes, not broken character. The quotes aren't funny, they're just sort of... there. They also aren't intended to be jokes, or comical. C'mon L, I thought you read the quotes.

Insanity is a crazy thing. It makes people believe the impossible. Wigfrid is downright insane at this point, because I mean, who would try to be a viking in the middle of nowhere, struggling to be alive, when you know full well of other survival capabilities. And also, some of these broken character quotes are in DS. Hi again, Danny!

Also, as for your first point, about Winnie. I wasn't aware Winnie existed in the game, and was thus, canon.

She is canon. There are statues of a Warrior Princess (Wigfrid) and a Shepherd Girl (Winnie) with Masks to imply they are stage roles (ring a bell?) - So therefore, she is running two roles. She may be insane but even the insane have their sane moments.

18 minutes ago, Vargling said:

She is canon. There are statues of a Warrior Princess (Wigfrid) and a Shepherd Girl (Winnie) with Masks to imply they are stage roles (ring a bell?) - So therefore, she is running two roles. She may be insane but even the insane have their sane moments.

Those are wigfrid statues? I don't see any connection to Wigfrid rather than coincidence rather than "warrior". I thought they were just charlie's works of art. Does that mean the queen of Don't Starve is Wigfrid?

And Winnie still isn't shown anywhere else, specificaly by wigfrid, who you'd think would visibly act as Winnie for this theory to work, but wigg's quote for the baby ewecus is a bit of a nod to the theory, but isn't exactly solid evidence of any form. Until then, I don't think it's safe to say anything about Winnie.

1 minute ago, Weirdobob said:

Those are wigfrid statues? I don't see any connection to Wigfrid rather than coincidence rather than "warrior". I thought they were just charlie's works of art. Does that mean the queen of Don't Starve is Wigfrid?

And Winnie still isn't shown anywhere else, specificaly by wigfrid, who you'd think would visibly act as Winnie for this theory to work, but wigg's quote for the baby ewecus is a bit of a nod to the theory, but isn't exactly solid evidence of any form. Until then, I don't think it's safe to say anything about Winnie.

Should I also mention she got new sounds and content in DST? See: Yawn sound.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Weirdobob said:

I had the Pirate Hat in mind when I said this.

She could also be having lapses of her past self. Doesn't mean she won't stop acting the way she is, just means she has at least some of her old self intact, and isn't completely lost to madness.

1 hour ago, Vargling said:

Should I also mention she got new sounds and content in DST? See: Yawn sound.

Yes, I know. She got an edit. I saw, I was there during the huge flip-out.

She still isn't in the game, and even further, isn't said to be wigfrid.

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

Damn man, your signature is getting bigger and bigger :I

Yep! I can make it even bigger if you want! C:

38 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I had the Pirate Hat in mind when I said this.

She could also be having lapses of her past self. Doesn't mean she won't stop acting the way she is, just means she has at least some of her old self intact, and isn't completely lost to madness.

The pirate hat isn't in dst, and even then, is only one comedic line out of the series of broken character ones (One of the only comedic lines Wigfridge has, actually...)

And the quotes I'm talking about are saying things like "bla bla something is under the stage"

While thinking the world is a stage is loopy, it's the wrong loopy for wigfrid. I've grown to be alright with the florid postern quote for Wigfrid for the reason you mentioned, but even with that reason, some of her quotes are just... bad.

Unless.

The world actually is a stage... That would make these quotes mean that.....

.....Wigfrid is an awful actress!

23 hours ago, Weirdobob said:
  • Glommer wings

1: Make glomglom require them rather than glommer goop.

Lets also rework smallbirds as craftable pets and have you make it with a new item called the tallbird eye.

Is it fair to assume you would not approve?

I find it sad enough that to get a Kitty you gotta kill a Catcoon. I don't wanna have to kill Glommer for the same reason. 

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

Lets also rework smallbirds as craftable pets and have you make it with a new item called the tallbird eye.

Is it fair to assume you would not approve?

I find it sad enough that to get a Kitty you gotta kill a Catcoon. I don't wanna have to kill Glommer for the same reason. 

Glommer dies a lot man. And I farm the heck out of him for krampus. It just makes glom glom a little more challenging and something to do with that useless item.

21 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

Yep! I can make it even bigger if you want! C:

Maybe you can put all of this in a spoiler or something because once time to time is ok but sometimes it's pretty annoying.

On 07/11/2016 at 8:35 PM, Weirdobob said:

2: Fishing - Make it so if you go fishing, there's like a 1% chance to pull up a trinket/reed/something instead. It'd add more reason to go fishing, as hardly anyone does it as is. Maybe make it so there's also a rare chance to pull out a flup while fishing, to add a small fight and eyeshots? I dunno.

There is a mod doing this and i like this mod, i'm not agaisnt seeing something like this in game.

Also, sorry if i don't understand well, but isn't a forum for suggestion and one bug tracker ? Why this topic is so special and ask for special attention from dev ?

On 11/7/2016 at 2:35 PM, Weirdobob said:

WEIRDOBOB'S MEGA DST THREAD OF SUGGESTIONS AND BUG FIXES.

Hi. You know who I am.

I play this game a lot. At least, I like to think I do. I'm still a bit of a noob, however, just 420 hours in DST and 231 in the base game. I put the "Casual" in "Filthy Casual"

Anywho, As I've played this game, I've noticed some things. Of course, All those things I can't remember off the top of my head, so expect this thread to get lots of edits and additions. Also, feel free to call me out on anything you want at all - While some of these make sense for gameplay, some are my opinion. I am open to almost all criticism, just, as the rest of the forum goes, keep it polite, keep it classy, and don't get your knickers in a bunch, these are suggestions, not 100% implemented mechanics.

I also apologize if I say anything any one else of you already has (like, if I suggest something you have)

Also, I would really appreciate dev feedback on some of this, sort of reassurance that they actually read this. Maybe their thoughts & opinions.

Bugs:

• The Tallbird bug
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, you saw the tags, (or didn't and you're looking now) and are probably wondering what the fabled "Tallbird bug" is that I'm known to rant about. Tallbirds, and by extension, teenbirds, are coded to kill each other. Seemingly on purpose.

This is bad.

Now, I know I'm a little bit of a loon when it comes to these things, seeing as the last time I accidentally hit a tallbird I was legitimately sick to my stomach and had to put the game aside for a while. But here's the deal. Tallbirds kill their own smallbirds that they're raising. And I know there's code to try and prevent it.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

1: It doesn't work.
2: It can be easily worked around by just making tallbirds not target smallbirds/teenbirds, instead of trying to add whatever foo-faw you're doing there.
3: No, it doesn't cut down on "Overpopulation", it's literally ruining a planned feature. If you don't want tallbird overpopulation, then just make them not hatch their eggs! It's super easy!

Anyway, there's my rant on that. Just had to get that out there as I've been talking about this thing for ages and have directly contacted devs to literally no replies, yet they'll reply to pretty much any other random steam bloop I do. Funny how that works!

• The smallbird bug

Reveal hidden contents

Alright, this one Isn't that bad. Simply, sometimes in spring, a smallbird will suddenly appear out of nowhere and follow your player.

I have no idea what causes this to happen.

• Frog/Lureplant Behavior

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but when a frog attacks (or attacked, again, don't know if it was fixed) a lureplant with meat, it causes an extra meat to flop out each time, which means that you can just see a bunch of leafy meats sitting around and a very disappointed looking frog. This is (or was) a very powerful exploit.

• The tallbird egg issue

Reveal hidden contents

No, it's not the fact that a hatching tallbird egg is more stat-replenishing than a normal/cooked one. Even though that's insanely sadistic and evil and I hate it. The egg counts as a trigger for bunnymen, making them scream out "MURDERER!" to you despite you currently raising new life.

Or I mean, being sadistic and planning to eat it.

• The guardian issue

Reveal hidden contents

For some reason, and this is absolutely hilarious, sometimes the guardian in the ruins spawns with an odd Y axis point. I believe if you use the console to spawn multiple at a time, they actually stack on top of each other, to make it look even goofier.

Suggestions:

• Full Moon Stuff

Yeah, this event's been getting more attention, which I like, but I have some ideas for even more cool bits about it!

1: Bring back the mushtrees, I love these things, and the spores would make them look extra pretty on a full moon.

2: Make ponds on the surface into the ruins ponds - Just for the full moon night, I think it'd add some extra prettiness to the area. Maybe make it so you need to have activated the moon caller staff/mined the clockwork statues for these events to occur?

• Sketches/Rare Blueprints

Make these things not vanish on use. I killed the toadstool with a team and it sucks that only the 1 person given those blueprints is capable of using them, because when they're off the server, well whoops, now you gotta kill him again to do something with those shroom skins.

• Buildables

Alright, there's gonna be a lot of stuff here.

1: Salt lick. No big issue, just make it so it has the smaller effect area when building it, so you are capable of putting it in small pens for if you want a smaller pen rather than forcing people to make bigger pens to place it.

2: A new storage area for weapons/tools/armor - Well, it's either leave it on the floor or have each one take up a chest slot, so a nice display rack with maybe more slots that can only hold equipment would be nice. Or maybe just a fancy coatrack you can craft in the "Fashion" tab? Cheaper than a chest but can only store armor?

3: Meat effigy, again, going with the theme of armor storage, make it so you can put some on the effigy? It'd be nice, when you revive and break it the armor pops off and is right there waiting for you. Sure, same thing can be done by just placing armor next to it, but it'd still look nice. 

4: Doors - pls

• Reviving

Alright, I find this very annoying. You die late in the day. Night is coming. 4 seconds left on the timer. You find it- the touchstone. You use it.
Night time. You have no resources.
You die. Again.
The timer continues, your efforts were wasted.

Make it so when you revive, you spawn a small light, like the ones where when you connect in late day.

• Resources

I dunno about these as much.

1: Fireflies - Make these come out of tumbleweeds, or make the florid postern spawn them around it or something. Sometimes people go berserk trying to capture all these things and there's none left.

• Shadow Atrium

When in your inventory, causes you to survive a lethal strike (or instantly revive on death), with the sleeping effect the life giving amulet has, but also makes you revive with full stats, pardon sanity maybe, as it is a shadow item after all. 

• Guardian

Probably the most requested thing in Don't Starve Together history, make this big bundle of joy a little more tricky to fight - And also make him able to be respawned!

• Wigfrid

Couple of things about our wonderful wiggy here.

1: Some of her quotes still break her character. I made an old thread about this issue, but it appears I still missed some, such as the batcave, closed rabbit holes, and maybe some other things. Read my reasoning on this here. (And no @ImDaMisterL, it is not okay for a periodic character break in Wigfrid, seeing as she's so far wrapped up in being a warrior she literally refuses to eat anything but meat and seemingly heals/makes herself sane through sheer belief that she's a warrior alone.)

2: Change her starting items. - This would make her a little harder to play, sure, and that's kind of necessary. For a character as topsy turvy powerful as her, making her more challenging isn't an issue. But here's my idea - Either make her not spawn with the meat, or make her not spawn with her helmet/spear. You don't need both. The meat keeps you fed more than long enough to scrounge around and get enough resources for her gear. And if she starts with her gear, she doesn't need to start with a free meal. And if you think that means it's too tricky for if you join in mid winter or something, I guess it's your fault for trying to join a server where nobody wants to help you in mid winter...

• Webber

Change his starting inventory. Remove the spider egg from him. Please. Thanks. This is necessary. I'm tired of joining servers where the portal is surrounded by spider queens on day 4.

• Beefalo

1: Add armor for beefalo, maybe make it 4 times as expensive as normal player armors, just something to protect our beloved beefalo buddies.

2: When domesticated, give beefalo slightly bigger health. Yes, 1,000 is no laughing matter, but they can still get pummeled easily by lots of things due to their sometimes idiotic A.I.

3: Make it so when you ride a beefalo, you can see it's health/hunger. This would make management of the beefalo so much easier.

• Glommer wings

1: Make glomglom require them rather than glommer goop, it gives you something to do with those wings. Remember glommer always by having part of him follow you around making smallbird noises.

2: A special helmet. Maybe marble, nightmare fuel, and glommer wings, a powerful helmet with a powerful price. Sure beats the football helmet.

3: The glossamer saddle. Maybe instead of silk, make it require glommer wings.

If you have any other suggestions and thoughts, feel free to post them here, I'm going to be editing my thread as I remember my suggestions/find more.

Alrighty, One thing, the shadow atrium suggestion I 100% do not accept. Mainly because it's not even fully implemented in yet, and I much rather see what they do with it first before we start suggesting uses for it. Also your meat effigy idea, I love, however, it would be nicer and make more sense, if the armor you place on it, when you become revived from it, you have it auto equipped.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Maybe you can put all of this in a spoiler or something because once time to time is ok but sometimes it's pretty annoying.

There is a mod doing this and i like this mod, i'm not agaisnt seeing something like this in game.

Also, sorry if i don't understand well, but isn't a forum for suggestion and one bug tracker ? Why this topic is so special and ask for special attention from dev ?

1: You can hide sigs. I take pride in mine being the biggest ever!

2: I ask for dev attention because I can, and I'd like it.

Archived