Cheap Workarounds

You know whenever something is supposed to be really difficult, but you find that perfect way to nullify the problem? That's what I want to see here! We need to list all of the semi-bugs where painful problems just disappear.

Ultimate goal:

As we all know, Don't Starve is extremely "easy", so we need to make it as hard as possible by letting the devs know about our sneaky tactics!

I'll start us off. You can avoid spawning depth dwellers in the labyrinth by simply hugging the wall.

You can actually extend functions in Lua by storing them in a temporary variable and replacing them by a function which calls the original via the tempvar.

Oh wait, you mean in-game.

You can run up to a rabbit from its burrow to briefly achieve the same scenario as in early versions of the game (whereas the rabbits run into you, allowing you to hit them with your axe)

17 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

scenario as in early versions of the game

Don't remind of this. I miss that purple dusk so much.

20130325102037.jpg

Klei can we have option to get it back? Science Points would be cool too.

Just now, Erec said:

Don't remind of this. I miss that purple dusk so much.

20130325102037.jpg

Klei can we have option to get it back? Science Points would be cool too.

I don't see the research points as a reimplementation, but I would love see it as a mod, Also, the dusk were purple before? O.O I just knew the research, but I never used it cuz i started to play in strange new powers.

There are a lot of "cheap exploits", some of them clearly are bugs but they're considered expert strategies between the most experienced players. Ironic as it sounds, i think people would complain if they were removed.

15 minutes ago, Bahlsen said:

Bypass the end of the digging animation by moving.

I use it all the time, just WASD and SPACE. Helps with digging tree stumps.

You can dig magma piles (Shipwrecked) much quicker by rapidly right-clicking it in time.

In SW, you can throw manure at shadow creatures and they will attack you as if you were insane regardless of sanity. 

In ANY SERVER as a client you can do this command with the mouse pointer on yourself to duplicate yourself, your copy will die and drop your inventory, while you can pick it up. This results in a permanent ghost, however (and you will have to rejoin). Duplicating bug! Yes!

TheInput:GetWorldEntityUnderMouse():Remove()

EDIT: It might only work on dedicated servers, I need to try it out more. 

EDIT #2: The duping bug has been FIXED, it no longer works.

Spoiler

Don't do it you scumbag.

Nah, it's your choice.

2 hours ago, Dylan738 said:

In ANY SERVER as a client you can do this command with the mouse pointer on yourself to duplicate yourself, your copy will die and drop your inventory, while you can pick it up. This results in a permanent ghost, however (and you will have to rejoin). Duplicating bug! Yes!

Hide contents

Don't do it you scumbag.

Nah, it's your choice.

Tried it but all that happens is you get disconnected. 

Set on fire pinecones on the ground, then extinguish them(flig-o-matic, ice staff, ice,etc) will make them a tree sappling with a pinecone texture, they will grow normally. You can put them close so you can make tree walls!

3 hours ago, Dylan738 said:

In SW, you can throw manure at shadow creatures and they will attack you as if you were insane regardless of sanity. 

EDIT: It might only work on dedicated servers, I need to try it out more. 

Reveal hidden contents

Don't do it you scumbag.

Nah, it's your choice.

This post is a lie. :/

I always kill the moslings at night before killing the gmoose. They wake up and run away when hitting them but fall asleep again after a few seconds. The gmoose doesn't wake up when you hit them. This works best during full moon but also works fine with a lantern or morning star. 

4 hours ago, Michi01 said:

I always kill the moslings at night before killing the gmoose. They wake up and run away when hitting them but fall asleep again after a few seconds. The gmoose doesn't wake up when you hit them. This works best during full moon but also works fine with a lantern or morning star. 

Don't Starve or Don't Starve Together? Or maybe both?

On 3/24/2016 at 1:15 PM, Serph said:

There are a lot of "cheap exploits", some of them clearly are bugs but they're considered expert strategies between the most experienced players. Ironic as it sounds, i think people would complain if they were removed.

It's happened before, when the bug that let you hold backpacks in your inventory got fixed, a ton of people complained because they can't take the entire ruins with them when they world hop anymore.

3 hours ago, Bahlsen said:

I don't know if this is an exploit but to avoid having a feather from an alive bird, cook it directly on the fire.

Not a bug, but very likely a unintentional mechanic.

Dealing with Deerclops and Bearger is extremely simple if you have 2 treeguards somewhere nearby, most of the time even 1 is enough but I make sure I have at least 2 TGs at all times. Make the seasonal monster damage a treeguard with his AoE and then watch the two fight it out.

Also a really easy way to get rid of the Мoose/Goose and Moslings is to walk over to them when it's raining frogs (It usually rains frogs at least once every spring). Good way to get rid of the Goose and Moslings as well as stack up on froglegs without having to deal with the frogs directly.

Here's a fairly broken command, not sure if it's been patched yet but it probably needs to be: ThePlayer:PushEvent("nightvision", true) will let you see in the dark (you will still be attacked by Charlie) but it does basically give you molevision as long as you are holding a torch.

Archived