Disappointed

I just said this is a different topic. Yes I am too. I feel like more could be and should be added. But hey lets all be happy they even made a shipwrecked or and ROG or a DST they dont have to make them. They do it for their fans. I love klei and i love shipwrecked it just felt to soon and rushed. In its current state i thought it was only 50% done till i read the roadmap. 

I don't know, I'm pretty happy with the amount of content we got; sure, some aspects of it aren't that great,especially the sea combat, but the seasons are better than the vanilla ones in my honest opinion, the new bosses are creative and fun and exploring on sea has a great feel and atmosphere to it. And honestly, I had some issues with the RoG features, so that DLC wasn't perfect in my opinion either. SW is just as good as RoG if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, Foe11 said:

I feel like there is so little when it comes to Don't Starve Shipwrecked. RoG brought a lot of content to the table and I feel that Shipwrecked could do the same.

Is this a troll thread? Given Shipwrecked has more than twice the new content of RoG, it must be right? This isn't a personal opinion, you can compare the size of the section in the wiki which lists new things introduced in each DLC, Shipwrecked section is more than twice as large.

2 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

Is this a troll thread? Given Shipwrecked has more than twice the new content of RoG, it must be right? This isn't a personal opinion, you can compare the size of the section in the wiki which lists new things introduced in each DLC, Shipwrecked section is more than twice as large.

If you cross the part of that section that are only reskins you get something different to compare. Just saying .)

40 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

I'm pretty sure RoG has more content than Shipwrecked. I don't know where you are getting your information from. :)

I really don't understand why people say this. I feel like the people who say RoG is bigger forget that 75% of the content in a RoG world comes from just the base game. (Edited in after mildcreams reply.)

If we compare SW to RoG, we got the same amount of new bosses, more new seasons, New mechanics that play a more central role in gameplay compared to wetness and overheating (Sailing, wind, poison, treasures, flooding, trawling), Plenty of new items including numerous new ways to increase speed, even if a bit OP (Looking at you, coffee), 4 vs 2 new characters, a brand new overworld consisting of 8 new biomes vs adding 2 to the original vanilla overworld, a new sub-section of the world (Volcano), Way more new mobs, more new crockpot dishes, even if 4 are locked to Warly, a method to worldhop while keeping all your loot without having to use a bug, thus enhancing endgame greatly.

Have whatever opinion you want on the actual content, but saying its smaller is just flat out wrong.

9 minutes ago, ConfusedCourier said:

I really don't understand why people say this. Compared to RoG, in SW we got the same amount of new bosses, more new seasons, New mechanics that play a more central role in gameplay compared to wetness and overheating (Sailing, wind, poison, treasures, flooding, trawling), Plenty of new items including numerous new ways to increase speed, even if a bit OP (Looking at you, coffee), 4 vs 2 new characters, a brand new overworld consisting of 8 new biomes vs adding 2 to the original vanilla overworld, a new sub-section of the world (Volcano), Way more new mobs, a method to worldhop while keeping all your loot without having to use a bug, thus enhancing endgame greatly.

Have whatever opinion you want on the actual content, but saying its smaller is just flat out wrong.

Except it is smaller, depending on how you look at it.

RoG is very closely related to vanilla, only adding to it. On it's own RoG would absolutely flop, but because it builds upon already existing content, it works quite well.

SW is standalone. It adds more because it has to, because with the amount of content RoG added, it wouldn't be a finished game.

RoG works a lot better for me, because it adds about half of the content shipwrecked has, upon a base game that already has more content than SW has. That makes RoG much better in my opinion.

Just now, Mildcream said:

Except it is smaller, depending on how you look at it.

RoG is very closely related to vanilla, only adding to it. On it's own RoG would absolutely flop, but because it builds upon already existing content, it works quite well.

SW is standalone. It adds more because it has to, because with the amount of content RoG added, it wouldn't be a finished game.

RoG works a lot better for me, because it adds about half of the content shipwrecked has, upon a base game that already has more content than SW has. That makes RoG much better in my opinion.

Well yeah, this is very true. But if comparing purely what the expansions added, SW wins by a landslide. I don't feel it's fair to credit RoG for what the vanilla game did. 

7 minutes ago, ConfusedCourier said:

Well yeah, this is very true. But if comparing purely what the expansions added, SW wins by a landslide. I don't feel it's fair to credit RoG for what the vanilla game did. 

The problem here isn't the amount of Content because yes SW wins that by a mile however the reason why most people are dissapointed with SW is that it doesn't add enought Content to make it worlds feel enought like RoG.

Here is the thing while RoG only added ontop of Vanilla it expanded the Vanilla worlds made them feel bigger and filled with even more content because suddenly you had things like Moleworms, Vultures or just Catcoons and Birchnuts and you find these things but just randomly exploring the Worlds.

SW on the other hand got a lot of Content however it heavily spreads its content out what makes the worlds feel less alive compared to RoG. The Ocean is the prime Example it's bleak it's barren and even the Desert in RoG got more things happening inside of it.

Lets make a good methaphor for both Expansions. Immagine RoG and SW are pizzas so to speak RoG basicly adds more spice and ingredinces to an already existing Pizza that's even by itself pretty good. SW on the other hand only scatters the toppings on a few slices and everything else is just bleak tomatosauce and some cheese to make it not taste as bleak.

That's the thing SWs content is to scatterd out for its own good and with the Ocean taking up about 75% of the entire WOrld it's less populated then any RoG. And a lot of people gave a lot of suggestions for so many Creatures in the Ocean as well as some other Biomes besides the Coralreefs but instead we got the bosses and some other items. TBH I would happly trade in all of SWs Giants for just more Creatures in the Ocean instead because you can tell that they are the part that got the most attention.

13 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

The problem here isn't the amount of Content because yes SW wins that by a mile however the reason why most people are dissapointed with SW is that it doesn't add enought Content to make it worlds feel enought like RoG.

Here is the thing while RoG only added ontop of Vanilla it expanded the Vanilla worlds made them feel bigger and filled with even more content because suddenly you had things like Moleworms, Vultures or just Catcoons and Birchnuts and you find these things but just randomly exploring the Worlds.

SW on the other hand got a lot of Content however it heavily spreads its content out what makes the worlds feel less alive compared to RoG. The Ocean is the prime Example it's bleak it's barren and even the Desert in RoG got more things happening inside of it.

Lets make a good methaphor for both Expansions. Immagine RoG and SW are pizzas so to speak RoG basicly adds more spice and ingredinces to an already existing Pizza that's even by itself pretty good. SW on the other hand only scatters the toppings on a few slices and everything else is just bleak tomatosauce and some cheese to make it not taste as bleak.

That's the thing SWs content is to scatterd out for its own good and with the Ocean taking up about 75% of the entire WOrld it's less populated then any RoG. And a lot of people gave a lot of suggestions for so many Creatures in the Ocean as well as some other Biomes besides the Coralreefs but instead we got the bosses and some other items. TBH I would happly trade in all of SWs Giants for just more Creatures in the Ocean instead because you can tell that they are the part that got the most attention.

I have to agree.

SW is great and so is RoG, but RoG is just the "topping". SW tries to be a vanilla game of its own exprience, but fails to do so because of imitating RoG, a topping.

2 hours ago, t0panka said:

If you cross the part of that section that are only reskins you get something different to compare. Just saying .)

All mob reskins(if not all) at least got a new perk. Fishermerms are awesome pals unlike merms, bores are mean and will aggro on you if you're near for too long, etc.

43 minutes ago, ConfusedCourier said:

I really don't understand why people say this. I feel like the people who say RoG is bigger forget that 75% of the content in a RoG world comes from just the base game. (Edited in after mildcreams reply.)

If we compare SW to RoG, in we got the same amount of new bosses, more new seasons, New mechanics that play a more central role in gameplay compared to wetness and overheating (Sailing, wind, poison, treasures, flooding, trawling), Plenty of new items including numerous new ways to increase speed, even if a bit OP (Looking at you, coffee), 4 vs 2 new characters, a brand new overworld consisting of 8 new biomes vs adding 2 to the original vanilla overworld, a new sub-section of the world (Volcano), Way more new mobs, more new crockpot dishes, even if 4 are locked to Warly, a method to worldhop while keeping all your loot without having to use a bug, thus enhancing endgame greatly.

It does add more, I entirely agree with you.

I feel like the hype train kinda got a hold of some people. The hype was built up for years now, and once people finally got there with such high expectations, it killed the expansion for them. I love Shipwrecked, it gives a grim world a splash of color while not intruding on the darker and gloomier side. People say that the end game is boring, but really, it's improved my end game. It gave me a whole world to explore, things to collect, goals to make, and holy poop coffee is insane.

Try this, if you will. Make a new Shipwrecked world, spawn or find the Seaworthy right away, and go straight into a Reign of Giants world. This by itself made getting to the islands and doing everything they have to offer way more enjoyable, not to mention made ways to improve my already snazzy RoG base.

Is it a little bit lacking? Kinda, but not as much as everyone's saying. Is sea combat kind of nasty? I mean, yeah. Are characters based around the Shipwrecked world and not the RoG world? I mean, it was planned as a standalone first, and I think maybe Walani should've the "can't be drowned" perk instead of Woodlegs due to her being a surfer and her surfboard having less durability than the Sealegs. There's always room for improvement. They might make Quacken more of a challenge and give it unique drops. They might make the seasons more fleshed out and given more challenge other than a grind, but that's what Don't Starve has always been about. A survival game with adorable characters using what they're given that becomes the same grind of picking twigs, grass, fight the occasional hounds, and find your next meal. I'm happy I can add another list of honestly refreshing concepts to my grind.

I'm not sure you guys realize how much you influence Capy on how to handle such a beloved cast of characters, and they clearly listen. They've done a damn good job so far, and just because there might be a tweak or two more that should be made, we should thank them for practically rewriting code, changing designs, and completely scrapping the idea of being standalone to listen to the community and please us. 

Your guys suggestions and opinions do affect these people. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to thank Capy and Klei for giving us something that refreshed the game for me and many others. Keep up the great work, you nerds.

I feel like perhaps one of the biggest reasons for wanting to merge a Shipwrecked world and a Reign of Giants world is the ability to explore the Caves/Ruins. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion, but I think it would be kinda cool if there were some islands that had sinkholes on them. That way players could enjoy all of the content provided underground without having to use the Seaworthy. I guess what I'm saying is that Shipwrecked misses out on some of that endgame content considering it as a standalone; the Volcano is somewhat similar to the Caves, but I don't feel the thrill of danger when I go there (I'd almost agree that during Dry Season without the hound attacks and because the Altar is there, it's a safe place to be). 

Of course, if you can go underground to avoid eruptions and perhaps other harsh weather effects, that could be considered a major balancing issue. Hmm...

PS. I have no major problems with SW, I think it's a great new way to play

I like SW (can't say I love it) it has nice ideas , can't say i'm disappointed in it . It's has a nice refreshing feeling to it and I love some parts of it . But I can see why ppl prefer RoG - RoG was old world + New stuff (additions to every part of the old content) while SW is kinda like new caves , another world with new content , but no new features to the old world . 

(not sure if i can explain what i really mean but i hope ppl get my point)

2 minutes ago, MeingroessterFan said:

Until I read this comment, I had completely forgotten that they actually got a different studio in to work on SW. Nicely said, and your profile picture is adorable.

A lot of people are giving Klei most the credit, and I feel like Capy should get more recognition for their efforts. Also thanks, I wish I could say I drew it, but that'd be a fib. Shoutout to spazzykoneko.

I'm a long time fan of "Don't Starve" series. "Shipwrecked" to me personally is the best. I just love this expansion. Should they add more stuff? Sure - but the big patch is coming. Lots of things will be repaired / balanced. I also agree that many great suggestions from this forum should be implemented. And maybe they will... who knows... Either way I wanna say that for me SW is amazing :-)

I played atleast 700 days (my 6-7 worlds) in Shipwrecked and I really enjoyed it.

Sure, there are still some balancing issues and like most of us, I would really like to see more content in SW,

(on his own was ROG quiet small, but it had everything from Vanilla too, SW has to stand on his own legs)

but all things considered the guys and gals of Klei and Capy did a fine job.

The art design of all 3 bosses, many creatures and of Woodlegs is amazing, the sound design of the 4 new characters, the Quacken, the Sealnado, the crabs, sharx, etc. is splendid and many new mechanics like strong wind, poison, floods, murder waves, etc. really ad to the challenge that I like about the DS games.

I think the developers don't get as much respect as they should, I am shure they worked very hard on SW,

a big thank you for that!

Of course I am a little bit sad, that we probably don't get some of the great suggestions of the Forum Members like:

Clockodiles, the Quackering Ram, Goonzilla/Dragoon Godmother,

a Tornado summoning Howling Conch or a Sail Surfboard for Walani,

but SW was still a fun vacation for Wilson and he really likes to eat Jelly-O Pop. ^__^

Like I said I prefer ROG but I've never been a fan of island or tropical settings in games. I dont really like ship wrecked. I still bought it and it was very fun for about 10 minutes then it got old since most the "New" content is reskined content. However there are things ship wrecked did beautifully. Exploration was perfection it was super fun to explore. Then again you can only really explore safely in 1 of the 4 seasons. I liked the bosses but they were all super easy. Except sealnado. Ship wrecked was average, id rate it 7/10 it was fun it was nice but i cant see myself enjoying it enough to get past day 45. I've been to day 210 more of a challenge to myself honestly. The characters while new were flawed. I rather Webber/Wigfrid then the 4 stale characters we received. Also why make the two worlds interchangeable when 1/2 the shipwrecked characters are completely useless in ROG. Klei/Cappy did a good job with the game and i can easily see why people would like it. I however dont I still support klei and Cappy games. They made a great expansion the price was amazing and it gave me a chance to support them again. If they ever make another expansion im buying it simple as that. Just because a game expansion isn't my favorite or i prefer a different expansion to the same amazing game doesn't mean its not a good expansion. Now forum members lets stop all this disappointing convos and focus on give a round of applause to the hard working devs at Cappy and Klei! THANK YOU guys for giving Don't Starve another expansion keep up the good work! 

23 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Shipwrecked replaced the entire main game though, if you compare the two there is less content even compared to the Vanilla game.

And what content is there isn't as good as the main game, which is why it should have been an add-on, not a separate experience.

RoG was an expansion pack, Shipwrecked is a standalone game.

Doesn't that some up this entire comment storm? If Shipwrecked was to match RoG in terms of pure content, they would basically have to redesign the entirety of Don't Starve as well as the DLC itself.

Archived