Shipwrecked too easy, hard or just right after latest update?

What do you guys think. We've been testing out Klei's latest DLC since early access so have seen major changes added since then, has SW become easier? Is it more fun, or do you think it's still a challenge? 

Edit: If there were THREE things you wanted changing what would they be? Maybe you want things to stay the same, well which THREE things in Shipwrecked would you like to stay the same?

I like shipwrecked a whole lot more than i do vanilla or RoG (maybe not more than DST though..). I think shipwrecked presents a bit more challenges throughout the seasons. RoG focused a lot on not freezing or overheating + the bosses which was fine, but staying at base would've kept you alive for the most part. I like the idea of hail, flooding, and the meteor storms (which forced you to stay away from base). I think map/ island generation plays a lot into how well you do especially early on. Right now i think SW is pretty friendly if you know what you're doing but still has it's unique charms and challenges. I'm sure the game will get harder as more updates roll out so I'm looking forward to that.

hi ! well here is my though :

• Add tiger shark and more set piece is cool ( i think we need more set piece )
  • Crate can help a little , but not broke the game
  • Map layout still beeing like a " flip a coin effect " ( some layout are very good , some are just awful ,i have no idea how to fiw that ).
  • Flood is defenitively not a problem ( in fact its just affect alchemy's machine or ice box , for the wetness just wear full snakeskin stuff )
  • Does SW is easier ? just a little more , but not waste game experience
  • Still nothing is intersting in deep sea exploration
  • More fun because dow dow and tiger shark ( and also Warly )
  • The challenge is still here , map exoploration and map layout have a great importance in your game experience.
  • Poison feature still good and balanced

Still a good DLC and can't wait for the lava cave and the world swap with ROG :D , i will be huge !

Well, I think it will inevitably seem more and more easy as we play it simply due to us getting used to everything. When I first played I got poisoned right away, and then went off on a frantic journey to find some coral. Now I know better than to tangle with yellow snakes in the early days. 

I do have to say though, I'm not too fond of the trend in which the devs are just nerfing everything. The game is supposed to be hard and unforgiving! OK maybe the meteors were a bit unfair, but now they aren't a threat at all. The sea nightmare creatures aren't a threat whatsoever and definitely need to be buffed. The clockwork knights need a melee attack because you can just go in and tank them without consequence. 

16 minutes ago, BluesyBuesy said:

Well, I think it will inevitably seem more and more easy as we play it simply due to us getting used to everything. When I first played I got poisoned right away, and then went off on a frantic journey to find some coral. Now I know better than to tangle with yellow snakes in the early days. 

I do have to say though, I'm not too fond of the trend in which the devs are just nerfing everything. The game is supposed to be hard and unforgiving! OK maybe the meteors were a bit unfair, but now they aren't a threat at all. The sea nightmare creatures aren't a threat whatsoever and definitely need to be buffed. The clockwork knights need a melee attack because you can just go in and tank them without consequence. 

The nerfs(some of them at least) are probably temporary as balancing will be the main focus in a later stage.

Too easy.

The Ice Machine makes starving even more impossible. Ice as filler in Crockpot was already a big balance problem in RoG but it is even worst in SW since it is so widely available. I think Ice should really be limited to Ice recipe.

Seasons are fairly balanced but could definitely get more unique resource or events (like Blue gem/Red gem, Mac Tusk, Cactus Flower). As other said if a way is added to counter Volcano it should probably be made a bit more powerful to justify its use.

Still no endgame content. Once you got past your first year there is not much to do. Guess it will come later.

Personally, I really want strong winds to sap player temperatures. As an equivalent to winter, hurricane season felt far too easy since you almost never are in any threat of freezing unless you've been playing badly. Considering it hails near-constantly, I was surprised when I found out I didn't even need a thermal stone.

Too easy for sure

IDK why Klei making SW easier. We have those OP characters for easy play right? WX and Wigfrid are ridiculously easy and now Walani and Warly are easy too (and boring sadly)!

KLEI PLZ this game is no longer standalone (for beginners) but SECOND DLC! So maybe lets think about that SW players should have already DS and probably ROG experience with this game! Thats why it is easy.

Also there is this HUGE problem that exists in DS, ROG, DST and now SW - NO LATE GAME FEATURES :(

Some interesting points I enjoyed reading them all so great job guys and keep them comments coming! 

Let's do something a bit differently here. If there were THREE things you wanted changing what would they be? Maybe you want things to stay the same, well which THREE things in Shipwrecked would you like to stay the same? 

3 minutes ago, J20hawkz said:

Some interesting points I enjoyed reading them all so great job guys and keep them comments coming! 

Let's do something a bit differently here. If there were THREE things you wanted changing what would they be? Maybe you want things to stay the same, well which THREE things in Shipwrecked would you like to stay the same? 

CHANGE:

1. late game

2. late game (and difficulty)

3. late game (and both characters)

STAY:

1. pirate hat

2. pirate hat (and puddles)

3. pirate hat (and poison)

5 minutes ago, t0panka said:

CHANGE:

1. late game

2. late game (and difficulty)

3. late game (and both characters)

STAY:

1. pirate hat

2. pirate hat (and puddles)

3. pirate hat (and poison)

I hear you mate! I've been waiting quietly for some type of late game crushing survival type experience since Don't Starve.

What I feel would be appropriate would be a way for the game to ramp in difficulty after a number of days. Probably in multiple of 100s for simplicity. 

So like we have volcano season. I would prefer that to occur say after day 500 or something. And meteors do some serious damage. Hail can be buffed. A way for the game to play out so it actually wants us to die lol. Maybe not 500 but at least a big target to want us to survive longer in one world. 

Instead of seasons. Let's have ages i.e. Ice age?

Change:

* Flooding (horrible RNG)

* Craftable Bottles (The worst balance decision from Klei so far. Making bottles from pretty worthy to just worthless trash in one update ... good job...  It would have been better to rely on bottlenosed ballphines which need a tweaking (tameable ballphines?) anyway.

* World Gen

In specific terms I'm unsatisfied by the island distribution. I would more likely prefer a more concentrated archipelago in the middle and then wider spread Island far away (exploring!). This would reduce endless raft paddling until you find enough gold and also reduces ship traveling time between non removeable resources.

Also Biomes are quit not that great. There is a large diversity but it's all in jungle which in my opinion is bad. The mushroom island-jungle could easily have a different skin (skins are easy to implement) or the boneyard island-jungle etc. On the other hand mangrooves and grassland need some tweaking. At least the grassland has been buffed with eye of the tiger shark because now beehives are spawning in it

Spoiler

(Can you believe that? Bees are now spawning in a biome which mainly consists out of grass and flowers! What a strange logic there. They should rather stay on beach biomes where there are no flowers and other plants, like they used to! *may contain sarcasm*)

So basically optimizing the worldgen.

Stay:

* Crabs (Whoever voiced them deserves a cookie)

* Prime Ape AI (Perfectly designed AI that is doing exactly what it should: Annoy the player)

* Poison (Deal with it!)

I want harder Hurricane.

Basically, Huricane is nor nearly as dangerous as old winter. That's my problem with SW - Summer became even more horrible compared to winter, and I always wanted to have these seasons balanced.

My biggest problem with SW is the food. One would expect a game called Don't Starve set in the ocean to actually use the ocean as the most important source of food. Instead I go all my playthroughs basically just using monster meat, berries, limpets and seaweed. Using the ocean for food is incredibly inconvenient compared to gathering monster meat and transplanting berries (especially since they grow so fast with rain), the ocean as a source of food is basically useless except for seaweed (which I also think the spawn of sea weed should be nerfed).

And after the first year there's literally zero incentive to ever leave your home island.

9 hours ago, J20hawkz said:

Change:
-Sandbags definitely. The way they work now feels off and boring.
-Hurricane season: I'm hoping the damage was taken out due to balancing issues but i really liked how hail worked. I actually hope the damage it does to the character would increase a bit?
-Puddle spawns are pretty terrible right now especially when the spawn point is directly under something (and you can't put a sandbag down)
-(i know this is more than 3 but) Poison! It's not a mechanic that carries well into late game so maybe a different poison or more mobs that can poison you?

Keep:
Well i can't think of what else I'd like to see change right now and everything else is okay by me so I'd keep everything else i guess

probably an unpopular opinion but at least for me everything becomes more annoying after the first ingame year

i just feel seasons getting harsher , especially dry season, in the beggining of the first dry season it took a little bit more than a full day for the eruption to occur after the first tremor, in the second year's dry season it takes a little more than half a day

floods used to start at the middle of moonsoon season , in the second year's moonson season they start after like 3 days

at least for me it takes away the satisfaction of surviving a whole year and it feels very tedious 

i mean it really breaks the cycle and stops feeling like a year , is it just going to get progressively harder and harder? :(

Three things i'd like to change in ship wrecked :

1.  Boat knigth behaviour , loot and spawn system ( and wild boar behaviour too )
  2. A better world generation for a better map layout and more set piece( for exemple , i had a tinny mangrove biome with only 2 beefalo , or only 3 tinny magama biome with hardly at all gold and there is nothing in deep sea and maybe 2 spot of beefalo).
  3. Hurricain wind should don't destroy pig house OR more pirate action.
  • I didn't talk about late game content or sandbox options, because obviously they will come later

Three things i don't want to be changed in ship wrecked :

1. The ape mechanics ( feeding ape , the stealing feature etc etc ).
  2. Don't want a nerf for poison.
  3. Don't want a change for the whale feature.

Three things I would like to see changed are:

1. World gen and layout. In vanilla and RoG there were hints to where most important features are (pig king, sinkholes, glommer, etc). In SW there are no or not very useful hints to important features. Yaarctopus is always going to be in a coral biome but finding coral seems like a crapshoot. Also, there should be many more set pieces and maybe a few more biomes (especially in the ocean), but I imagine that's something Klei/Capy is already working on.

2. Difficulty. To be fair I still think this is a major problem with RoG as well. Surviving is not that difficult once you've had a little experience. The game doesn't feel intense very often because rarely do you feel in serious danger. A big part of that is the food issues that Kuirem brought up earlier (ice as filler mainly).

3. Lack of endgame content. Which I think is also a problem in RoG but not nearly as much.

Archived