Shipwrecked too easy, hard or just right after latest update?

16 hours ago, mitboy said:

I want harder Hurricane.

Basically, Huricane is nor nearly as dangerous as old winter. That's my problem with SW - Summer became even more horrible compared to winter, and I always wanted to have these seasons balanced.

DS Winter is only hard because of Deerclops, when the Hurricane Season will get its own boss that will come to destroy your base, it will be even harder than base/ROG/DST winter, with its pig house destroying wind, big boat smashing waves, permanent lightning strikes, hail, lack of butterflies/fireflies and rain,

but in my opinion:

1. hail should do damage again to the player if he gets hit

- can be lowered to 1-3 damage by using any kind of armor

- you won't get damaged if you stand under the Palm Leaf Hut, while you are in the tent, etc.

2. there should be a reason that you want to visit the dangerous deep ocean in Hurricane Season

- because you can just avoid the ocean in that season and the waves can do nothing against that

- glaciers could spawn in the deep ocean that you can mine for ice

(I am not a big fan of the ice make 3000,  you get so much meatball filler, that you can just survive with 1 spider nest or 2 snake spawners and some logs to fuel the ice maker, until you get bored and watch Adventure Time)

-  some big glaciers that spawn "Walrus Whale Wunters...I mean Hunters"

- they attack you with harpoons (because of them white whales have these things in there backs)

- if you kill them they drop:

1x Tusk (50%) - you could craft a walking cane

1x Harpoon (20%) - it would be a nice bonus, but white whales are still a better source

1x Meat (100%) - meat is tasty, more meat is more tasty

1x Whale Hunter hat (25%) - a high sanity gaining hat, with some water resistance that makes blue and white whales more aggressive to you (they do more damage and are tougher to kill, if they are near you while you wearing the hat, they won't loose that buff, even if you take the hat off) but if you kill them with the hat on, there bloating time will be lowered and it will change there droprate to your favour

- they also feed White Sharx (white sea hounds) with fish to lure them to there big glacier and the White Sharx will attack everything that comes near the glacier (they can drop blue gems, monster meat, fins and tooth)

7 minutes ago, grekon said:

Put a tiger and a dog in one cage. Do you really expect a dog to come out alive? Did you even see the TigerShark?

People can have irrational fears of small harmless creatures.

Tigersharks could have one too.

Dogfish don't really do anything, so I thought it'd be kind of cool.

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

DS Winter is only hard because of Deerclops

I think the same thing about it.

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

2. there should be a reason that you want to visit the dangerous deep ocean in Hurricane Season

- because you can just avoid the ocean in that season and the waves can do nothing against that

- glaciers could spawn in the deep ocean that you can mine for ice

(I am not a big fan of the ice make 3000,  you get so much meatball filler, that you can just survive with 1 spider nest or 2 snake spawners and some logs to fuel the ice maker, until you get bored and watch Adventure Time)

-  some big glaciers that spawns "Walrus Whale Wunters...I mean Hunters"

- they attack you with harpoons (because of them white whales have these things in there backs)

- if you kill them they drop:

1x Tusk (50%) - you could craft a walking cane

1x Harpoon (20%) - it would be a nice bonus, but white whales are still a better source

1x Meat (100%) - meat is tasty, more meat is more tasty

1x Whale Hunter hat (25%) - a high sanity gaining hat, with some water resistance that makes blue and white whales more aggressive to you (they do more damage and are tougher to kill, if they are near you while you wearing the hat, they won't loose that buff, even if you take the hat off) but if you kill them with the hat on, there bloating time will be lowered and it will change there droprate to your favour

God damn i love this suggestion , i like walking cane , whale hunting , and i 'd like more deep sea content and not only on hurrican season !

2 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

DS Winter is only hard because of Deerclops, when the Hurricane Season will get its own boss that will come to destroy your base, it will be even harder than base/ROG/DST winter, with its pig house destroying wind, big boat smashing waves, permanent lightning strikes, hail, lack of butterflies/fireflies and rain,

Winter was interesting  in RoG, now it is less interesting.

I really don't like the fact that hardest thing in season is the boss. It way more interesting to fight the weather instead of the boss, who has only 1-2 attacks anyway.

I haven't played since a few days after the previous hail-will-insta-kill-you patch, so I'm not sure if this is related to that one or the current version.

I currently have three clockwork boats turning up at my main base island every few days. Now I have an over abundance of gears. Gears should be reasonably difficult to come by in my opinion. Although I'll grant you they were too difficult to come by before.

The fight with them is way too easy as they cluster close enough together to allow you to just sail into the middle of them and tank them until you kill them (this is mentioned in a previous post).

Something else mentioned in a previous post is how easy it is to find food at the moment. You don't need to (or even feel obliged to) use the sea as a source of food. I think that detracts from the overall immersion of Shipwrecked; food on-land should be sparce and/or limited, but easy to get (perhaps only limited in the sense that it doesn't provide much hunger value, rather than finite, although both would be better I think) - food at sea should be bountiful, but much more difficult to get to and/or find.

53 minutes ago, mitboy said:

I really don't like the fact that hardest thing in season is the boss. It way more interesting to fight the weather instead of the boss, who has only 1-2 attacks anyway.

Honestly do you died in winter in ROG by freezing since you know what to do for prepare to this season? even if you don't have wearings for winter , just farm / replant tree , and figth tree gards for getting your living logs etc etc. Maye a pitch fork , burn turff or use manure or something. Winter in ROG is hard only when you are a new player ( and its the same for all season when you master the game , that's why boss are the only things you need to deal with )

41 minutes ago, 4zakken said:

Honestly do you died in winter in ROG by freezing since you know what to do for prepare to this season?

No, but I still have to wear clothes and stuff. Adding hail and winds could have made winter harder, but instead we got easier replacement.

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM, mitboy said:

I agree completely with this. The hardest part of a season should be the seasonal effects with other "things" there to make surviving even harder. 

Right now, I find SW pretty easy (then again, I find RoG, even as Wes easy, so it may just be experience with the game). My main complaints are that the Ice Maker makes food gathering stupid easy for what its price is, mind you, there are better recipes which can be arguably better, (Bacon and Eggs with 1 morsel, 2 eggs, 1 MM). Mind you, that takes a bit of effort to set up, needing multiple things (Birdcage, Monster Meat farms and methods to get morsels.) While with the Ice Maker, you build it once, slap a log in and you got food for a day with 1 MM.

Besides those, I generally find the seasons somewhat lacking with the lack of giants, and overall content in SW. Then again, that's because it's barely been implemented. However, each season besides Calm (or Autumn, in RoG) should have a bit of tweeking. As it stands, Hurricane season is a joke. It's more helpful than harmful by harvesting trees, grass, and bamboo for free. As for the bigger waves, you can either sail around them or just don't go to sea and sit around at camp, eating meatballs daily with the help of your ice maker and snakes. Even if they throw in the "Twister" boss from the files, it still will be rather easy to survive besides that one boss. For Hurricane season, I'd like to see the wind play a bigger, more hostile role. My suggestion is either do what someone else recommended and make the wind cool you to the point of potential freezing, or for my suggestion, make it so the wind effects YOUR structures, not just Wildboar Houses. Perhaps your structures would break / go flying away from the shear force of the wind if not Weighed down, maybe you could build something with Limestone to weigh down a structure.

As for Monsoon season, I'd enjoy seeing the puddle mechanic changed slightly. At the moment, it's way to easy to either have mass anger due to a puddle spawning on an important structure, or you just drop 1 sandbag on the puddles when they immediately spawn and you're done. I'd mostly like to see the puddle mechanic changed so it can't spawn right under a structure of yours. Perhaps some sort of waterproof turf made from materials from the Twister? At the moment, I feel that Volcano season is fine, besides the fact it lacks a boss that I hope will be added in the future, or maybe something to do with the Volcano itself.

Anywho, that's my take on the current state of Shipwrecked.

On 22/1/2016 at 8:20 PM, J20hawkz said:

Instead of seasons. Let's have ages i.e. Ice age?

The ages idea could be a nice way to add End Game content but let's not remove the seasons. You still have the four season but on top of that after each year a new age start which will add its gimmick to the season. So every Age will start every 72 days in default settings. Some ideas :

Normal : Default Age and seasons.

Ice Age : Most part of the sea is frozen (could have some special area unfrozen like around the Volcano), low temperature like Winter except for early Normal season and Dry season. Could have special items like Ice Skate to go faster on Ice. Tigger Shark wears a scarf :distrust:

Windless Age : All Winds stop. Sail lose their speed bonuses (but you can still use them to sail without rowing) and no wind during Hurricane. Dry season is even hotter with the lack of Wind.

Now to answer your original question

Things to change :

• More late game content
  • Sandbags : The way they work is ridiculous. We need a way to prevent puddle from forming into the base, for example Sandbags could prevents puddle from forming/spreading 1 "tile" around them (which will force the player to think carefully about base placement).
  • Ice Machine : Far too strong. I have already said it but Ice really needs to be removed from filler possibilities or limited (high priority recipe using 2 Ice similar to Monster Lasagna for Monster Meat)

Things to keep :

• Boat system : I like how the boat system is right now (although the Cargo Boat losing content when destroyed is annoying) with repair, sailing and all. Maybe add more items for the different slot but the base idea is nice.
  • Ape : Now that they are no longer super Poop machines I think they are pretty great. Can still be used to get massive amount of food but so can most mobs spawn.
  • The 4 Seasons : While they can still be improved (and I hope they will) I like how different each season feel from RoG.

Archived