Caves Beta - November 10th Update

Not sure if this explains it, but if you search for a specific server, it will show results gathered from all servers, ignoring the server intention filter.

I'm not referring to that. When I say buggy I mean I cannot type the name of the server in the search bar without holding the left mouse button down. Before I was able to click the search bar and type the name of the server. Now I have to hold down the left mouse button and type the name of the server.

Oh it seems like the search bar isn't the only thing affected by this. Most text fields such as trying to enter server name, server password etc are also acting like this.

So after you visit some particular other screen and come back, you can select it normally without having to hold down the mouse? Is a controller enabled?

No controller. I think the screen thing was a coincidence or misattribution. After testing it a bit more, I can reliably open the fields by keeping my cursor hovered over the field, and then scrolling a mouse wheel or a laptop trackpad. Clicking disengages no matter how many clicks, and switching screens does nothing; I must have unknowingly scrolled yesterday and mistakenly attributed it to switching screens. Also, it works fine in regular don't starve together, so it's something with the caves beta.

I'll second Tiax's comment about the boomerang, and note that I think it's pretty old.  Wish I'd thought to note it when it happened.

Regarding the Server Intentions you're trying not to talk about:  I'm not sure but I think the Social and Cooperative settings will probably attract trolls and griefers.  If I was a griefer I surely wouldn't go to the Competitive or Madness worlds, griefing people who can fight back via PvP wouldn't be high on my list of desirable things, and griefing other trolls and griefers is pointless -- the reason to grief in the first place is to piss off someone who wasn't expecting it, if they don't get angry it's pointless.

I'm not sure it's a long enough time yet to support my theory with evidence, but I have seen griefing reports on my server post-intentions, as I had before, but I feel it's still too early to tell if that is meaningful or if it was just a random spike of probability of course.  I shall continue my general policy of "I ban for sexism/racism/homophobia/religious-bigotry, and I might kick you if you're rude or burning down bases."

Regardless of that, not requiring you to filter on intentions would be nice.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I predict that the social branch in particular will be an attractive target for griefers. There is a really tiny subset of the community that despises people who play sub-optimally and/or with mods, and these servers will be beacons for ruin.

• Developer

Anyone? :(

Whoops! I missed this one on my first pass through. We've seen this happen before but haven't found a solution yet, sorry. Still looking for the problem.

I'm not referring to that. When I say buggy I mean I cannot type the name of the server in the search bar without holding the left mouse button down. Before I was able to click the search bar and type the name of the server. Now I have to hold down the left mouse button and type the name of the server.

Oh it seems like the search bar isn't the only thing affected by this. Most text fields such as trying to enter server name, server password etc are also acting like this.

Ah, interesting, so same problem as Arctica. So it just started happening with this latest update? Super strange. I'm trying to reproduce it now.

Ah, interesting, so same problem as Arctica. So it just started happening with this latest update? Super strange. I'm trying to reproduce it now.

Yup just started happening with this update. Looks like it's an OSX only issue. I just tried to reproduce on Windows 8 with no luck.

• Developer

Something is not right with Character Select Screen (e.g. CSS), when I join server and send message, CSS chat shows blank messages to people already on server. Additionally when Enter is pressed to send the CSS chat message, Steam profile of first person in server list is pulled up for no reason.

It also appears that server crash frequency increased, I will try to provide more crash logs in future

I'm not sure about the empty chat message, but by any chance is the Steam profile opening related to your mouse cursor being on a button when you press enter? 

@Ipsquiggle, I will take a screen capture for you when I play next. Is there a specific area of the screen where this information is displayed so I can capture just that area; no reason posting a huge screen capture with useless information.

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

Edit:

Forgot to mention, but I think it was made clear that we're talking about dedicated servers.

• Developer

@smallishbird, @absimiliard, We've got it happening in the office now, thanks! :) Working on a solution.

@Ipsquiggle, I will take a screen capture for you when I play next. Is there a specific area of the screen where this information is displayed so I can capture just that area; no reason posting a huge screen capture with useless information.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, but I think it was made clear that we're talking about dedicated servers.

Naturally, this is meaningless on dedicated though, sorry. :\ However, it may just be more efficient to link me the save file (let me know the location of a laggy spot, also)

I'm not sure about the empty chat message, but by any chance is the Steam profile opening related to your mouse cursor being on a button when you press enter? 

Hmm, good point!

I was not tracking my mouse cursor at the time, unfortunately, but I will try to reproduce this again and report back.

It starts to make sense now that mouse was over "profile" button, that was in different tab (not visible in chat tab)

Whoops! I missed this one on my first pass through. We've seen this happen before but haven't found a solution yet, sorry. Still looking for the problem.

Ahw that is to bad.

And you can't like give me a quick command to enter so the map gets revealed?

Because when I enter the one stated on the wiki nothing really happens..

Thanks for reporting all these! I've logged them all. Just want to reply to a few:

1) Can you post a screenshot or a link of this happening? I must have missed your original post...

12) This one is really weird. Next time it happens, can you note exactly which part of the process it happens in? (i.e. right when Wilson jumps in, after the screen goes black, etc.)

1) my post is here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58565-graphics-menu-and-in-game-clouds-weird-graphics-glitch/

If you need more screenshots i can provide as many as you want

12) If i remember correctly it froze for me when i jumped out of wormhole (after black screen) and with tentacle hole on black screen (maybe when you jump out of tentacle hole the first second is black screen anyway) but i will go jumping to holes today and if it happens i will post again with logs, screenshots and more info

Is it just me or does the boomerang now just drop to the ground instead of dealing damage, when not caught?

It has been like that for a while.

Boomerang and Blow Dart now also has a chance of "missing the target". (It hits the target without dealing any damage.)

Build: 155931 155954

Some log error that may be serious.. here it is.

[AnimState] Error serializing symbol override count for entity wickerbottom[110297] - 32 symbols; exceeds maximum size of 31

[AnimState] Error serializing symbol override count for entity wickerbottom[110297] - 32 symbols; exceeds maximum size of 31

• Developer

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

Edit:

It was pointed out to me that we are once again shipping with the profiler, so next time it's happening on the server you can run TheSim:Profile(). This will create a profile.json in your settings directory that you could send us, which would definitely help. (It grabs a 3-second profile, so if the lag is intermittent, you will have to time it correctly...)

• Developer

Just found a bug while lighting nightlights with a fire staff.

About 1 in 3 attempts will completely crash the dedicated server. 2 in 3 attempts will successfully ignite the nightlight.

Cool, thanks for noticing this, we'll look into it. :) Just to be sure, you mean the one that you can craft from the crafting menu?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, new update has been posted! Please continue the conversation in the new thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59029-caves-beta-november-13th-update/

Archived