Missing Set Pieces and Boons in DST

I'm sure by now that I'm not the only one that has noticed that DST is missing many set pieces and boons that were previously in the game such as the reed trap, winter/summer traps, Maxwell's cemetery, and many more. What I want to know is why were these removed from the game in the first place? I feel like they added a bit of excitement to the game, and there some cool interactions u can have with these set pieces.

So I know these were removed quite a while ago (probably sometime around July) but since I never saw a forum post about this I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on this decision was. 

I don't think it's official, Klei has never addressed it.  (to my knowledge)  But it's definitely real.

I hadn't thought in depth about it, but I bet XirmiX is right that it's about the various winter/summer-traps.  I'd figured it was so people wouldn't get equipment like the walking cane, or miner-hat, but I bet it's about those traps instead.  (and the easiest way to deal with it was just to remove them)

After all, I can't think of a time I've seen a winter/summer trap on my Survival server when someone DIDN'T eventually trigger it.  (sometimes a griefer, more often just someone being unaware of the consequences)

Winter and summer traps spawned quite often and were also often activated, but I don't think the removal was officially addressed indeed. My theory was that it occurred after they made carrots, trees, etc, spawned naturally and prevented them from spawning on road.

May we have some official infos ? No set piece makes the game a bit bland.

I'm having this experience too! I actually thought about making a topic, but then I forgot.

The only set piece I've seen in DST for the last month I think was the one with the frog pond, five berry bushes, carrots, birchnut trees, a few evergreens and the g/Goose nest thing.

And it's literally everywhere. In the grasland, forest, even in savanna and marsh. I don't mind the extra berries, but it did get quite boring after a while.

I started setting set pieces to 'more', but this only makes it worse. Then the world is completely overrun by that thing.

I'm not sure what all of you are on about. I'm looking at the code right now and all of these things are still there. It's not a certainty that you will see specific set-pieces no matter how long you play. It is randomized. 

I looked through the code as well and couldn't find anything out of place but there's definitely something stopping most set pieces from spawning - try starting a new world and using c_gonext("skeleton") and c_gonext("treasurechest"). The difference in the amount of finds between Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together is immediately obvious. The small RoG chess biomes and associated skeletons will still spawn in DST and I've found mushroom rings but other than that these past couple of months nothing else has been spawning. I made a post on the bug tracker a while ago and somebody confirmed the same with me, then another post flagging the same issue went up a little bit later so this is definitely an issue.

I looked through the code as well and couldn't find anything out of place but there's definitely something stopping most set pieces from spawning - try starting a new world and using c_gonext("skeleton") and c_gonext("treasurechest"). The difference in the amount of finds between Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together is immediately obvious. The small RoG chess biomes and associated skeletons will still spawn in DST and I've found mushroom rings but other than that these past couple of months nothing else has been spawning. I made a post on the bug tracker a while ago and somebody confirmed the same with me, then another post flagging the same issue went up a little bit later so this is definitely an issue.

Actually, looking in worldgen_main, it does look like they've changed how setpieces are generated. I don't recall this 'choicefile' business. If there is a problem, it's probably just a bug. It doesn't look like they've gotten rid of any of the old setpieces, unless they've added exceptions in the choicefile, but I don't have access to a search function at the moment. 

I hadn't previously looked into it so I have no idea how it used to look but the exact same code is used in the singleplayer version which as I said is working fine. The choice file just points to /map/boons. This is still a pretty helpful find though as I was searching for "setpiece" mostly, and I'd completely missed this because piece is incorrectly spelled "peice" here. 

I really hope Klei looks at this post und give us some Info on that. It´s sad to see so few Boons in DST now. Two months ago i got a reed trap in my world, thinks like that make the exploring interesting. But i also think there are less in my current worlds. 

When its a bug i hopefully gets fixed soon, because you have to gerenerate a new world to get them. So if you now start a world, you won´t have them :( 

Archived