What would you like to see in shipwrecked?

• Developer

Just try and picture vacation Maxwell getting progressively more stressed as you proceed through a Shipwrecked version of adventure mode.

Chapter 1:

"Oh, you found my portal did you? You'd think you would've learned not to swim against the tide by now. Hmm. Let's try something a little more salty, shall we?"

Chapter 2:

"Well, would you look at that, you didn't drown. One down, four more to go."

Chapter 3:

"What? My storms haven't ended your life yet? Impressive, but you should probably wind down and relax while you can. These are your vacations after all."

Chapter 4:

"Say, pal. Bringing you to some vacations wasn't smart of me. I should've left you to starve back in the main island. I'm afraid I'll have to drown you, one way or another."

Chapter Two Worlds/Islands:

"Say, pal. My purpose was to give you a proper vacation. You're making this harder for yourself, so here. Relax, have fun, play some beach games. Just don't you dare sail ahead."

Chapter 5:

"How dare you disobey me? Your place is not here! Lights off, pal. And unfortunately for you, there won't be any lighthouse to guide you."

Last chapter's convo:

"Well, here you are.

The last stop, the end of your vacation.

Was it worth it to throw it all away...

Just so you could find me?

Well, I guess I kind of expected it.

You always were a stubborn little thing.

Oh well, this is the cycle.

And it will repeat itself again, and again...

... And again.

What can I say?

It's Their fault, not mine.

You can't really complain here.

They won't listen to you, or me.

They never do. They never had...

... And they never will...

... I think I've said enough.

..."

Behind the spoiler you will find my horrible attempt at Maxwell-ising the adventure mode of SW.

Chapter 1:

"Oh, you found my portal did you? You'd think you would've learned not to swim against the tide by now. Hmm. Let's try something a little more salty, shall we?"

Chapter 2:

"Well, would you look at that, you didn't drown. One down, four more to go."

Chapter 3:

"What? My storms haven't ended your life yet? Impressive, but you should probably wind down and relax while you can. These are your vacations after all."

Chapter 4:

"Say, pal. Bringing you to some vacations wasn't smart of me. I should've left you to starve back in the main island. I'm afraid I'll have to drown you, one way or another."

Chapter Two Worlds/Islands:

"Say, pal. My purpose was to give you a proper vacation. You're making this harder for yourself, so here. Relax, have fun, play some beach games. Just don't you dare sail ahead."

Chapter 5:

"How dare you disobey me? Your place is not here! Lights off, pal. And unfortunately for you, there won't be any lighthouse to guide you."

Last chapter's convo:

"Well, here you are.

The last stop, the end of your vacation.

Was it worth it to throw it all away...

Just so you could find me?

Well, I guess I kind of expected it.

You always were a stubborn little thing.

Oh well, this is the cycle.

And it will repeat itself again, and again...

... And again.

What can I say?

It's Their fault, not mine.

You can't really complain here.

They won't listen to you, or me.

They never do. They never had...

... And they never will...

... I think I've said enough.

..."

Behind the spoiler you will find my horrible attempt at Maxwell-ising the adventure mode of SW.

0/10 not enough pictures of sunburned vacation Maxwell

10/10 would drown while simultaneously dying of sunburn again

This is just a really rough idea/thought, but I was thinking of a dryness mechanic as the counterpart to the wetness one currently in play.

For summer / whatever the hot season in Shipwrecked would be, you would overheat quicker the more burned you are from staying out in the sun / unshaded areas, which would raise your dryness meter. Naturally of course to balance it out so that the hot season of Shipwrecked didn't suddenly become more brutal than the current summer season of Don't Starve & RoG, a low dryness would cause overheating to set in slower, and becoming wet from something would obviously cause dryness to plummet very quickly. How else this meter would interact with the world (like the volcanoes they have planned and such) is up to them.

Also, wooden decoys to draw the attention of enemies, assuming this doesn't make the game too easy (or make Wendy suddenly obsolete)

I want to make another point of view , sooner or later DST will have all of DS content (caves + ruins) and SW comes as stand-alone what happens to DS + ROG then ? Simple no one will play it anymore , why play it when you can as easily play DST (which will have more content than DS+ROG) but if SW is part of DS that's a reason to play DS not DST ! At the moment I don't play DS simply because there is nothing new in it and I have already mastered that world . And when all the content mix in one not only SW will be better and the old content as well , think about it . It will give DS a whole new look and way of playing (of course there should be option to disable it like ROG) .

Presuming this will be a stand alone game, I would like the minimum

New characters for SW, make the save games between DS and SW transferable, save for Wilson, Willow, and Maxwell, You can only way you can play as the other DS and RoG characters in shipwrecked is if you have DS and RoG and Unlocked them, and you can play as the SW characters in DS and RoG if you unlocked them in SW.

Edit: Also more puzzles

As for additional content. Snorkeling and If your going to continue your gimmick of having the name of every character start with "W," have the new characters names start with the letter "B" instead to fit with the subtle chess theme to the original game.

What I would like to see in Shipwrecked (some of those already mentioned, but I want to support those). List is big, but all of those would be awesome in game :). Some things could be added also after game releases - like updates to original Don't Starve, when it first came to the market.

1, Better transition between land and water (even Transport Tycoon in 90's had better transition from water to land)

2, Walkable shallow water at beach + some routes tying closer islands together accessible in the summer season (or whatever the hottest season would be named)

3, No less than 4 seasons

4, 1 more biome - rivers(piranhas?)+waterfall+mountain biome? (jungle, coastal/beach, ocean/deep ocean, volcano are already there)

5, New graphics for new things/mobs - don't reuse old (if it is standalone, it should be standalone with at least 90% everything new things)

6, At least 70% of new characters

7, Perhaps a quest mod like the screecher was - but not a horror mod, but something like Robinson Crusoe quest mod :)

8, Multiplayer support (maybe later after they release single player)

9, Add thirst as 4th thing we need to check + necessary craftables to collect water. People stranded on islands need water first, food later

10, Huge map support and good map generation options (including decision on how big/many islands there should be and if there should be 1-2 big ones)

11, Don't make characters drown when their boat crashes in the shallow/peaceful water - make swimming to coast possible, if they have lifevest on

12, Underwater biome + divint craftables (bamboo is already there :) )

13, Building better houses for permanent residence and lasting at least hundreds of days

14, Wild cougars and aggressive gorillas in jungle biome + almost constant rain in jungle biome

15, Make treasure hunt more interesting - in some dug out treasures, there would be another message, leading to another message and the size of the final treasure will be according to how many messages you need to go through to get to the final treasure

16, Season monsters - huge snake, king kong, kraken, lava dragon?

17, Periodic thieving attacks from monkeys, stealing your stuff at night + expensive craftable chest from which they can't steal

18, Expertise learning - for example if a person stranded on an island is there for 4 years, he/she learns to catch a fish with a spear very good. Perhaps some better luck at doing things or making them faster according to how long you were making them before? For example - you caught 10 fish with a spear, you get a Fisherman badge, which would give you some trait and you would be faster in catching fish from now on. This thing would be also usable in DST, since not everyone wants to do everything. Someone likes cutting trees, someone likes collecting food, etc. Expertise can be learnt. Or just making use of character specific differences and enhancing them by doing what your character is best at, to become even stronger (of course enhancements would happen over long periods of time)

19, Make it at least as challenging as RoG is

20, More traps (like the one with snake venom when snakes are chasing you)

I agree with everything @tinco, said but 18 might be more of a DST only thing, after all the single player doesn't need to be easier late game, it needs to be harder. Of course it could be worked to make something you specialty mid game but I don't know how to avoid late game getting too easy.

Firstly, kudos for reading the wall of text I wrote :). Secondly, the expertise could have a "max level" trait, so it wouldnt be easy in late game, but it would still add variety into the game. But I agree, it would make more sense in DST than sngleplayer

@tinco

Being only an expansion I hope they won't use it as an excuse to justify a lack of content.

I honestly don't think there will be as much content (not enough to justify it being a standalone, hem) as in Don't Starve, so I prefer to keep expectations realistic.

I see and too dont expect to be that much at launch... but I still would like to see it there, maybe in future updates. Remember when DS first came to life? Very simple and not nearly as close with content as opposed to today's vanilla. It had major updates, which added tremendous amount of content. I believe the devs still have that approach.

14, Wild cougars and aggressive gorillas in jungle biome

I really hope that they will bring at least another new creature to the jungle, beside snakes; and bacoons would perfectly satisfy the need of big cats in a jungle.

Red killer bees would also fit the biome nicely I think, and would make it quite more dangerous.

It would be nice too if when you're chopping a coconut tree, a coconut has a chance to fall on your head, like jungle trees drop snakes from time to time.

Bacoons : (see page 3)

post-236059-0-26789200-1417633186.jpg

Archived