Game Update - 138091 & 138060 - 6/1/2015

@1v0, I tried that, and while my camera is rotating to a different direction the sign keeps the initial direction of west. 

-edit- Nevermind, it was from Geometric Placement. Holding Ctrl to disable the grid and autoplacing will make the signs move with the camera direction. So all's good. :)

• Developer

I am still not qutie sure why the compass is useful in any sense..... I mean it's great to know where North is, but why would you care to know?

I know when we play we constantly use the cardinal directions to give directions to other players on the server. Are you using a different method?

I know when we play we constantly use the cardinal directions to give directions to other players on the server. Are you using a different method?

That's a very good point. It's a lot easier to say head north from the swamp rather than "if you're at the swamp and the grasslands is to the left of you then head right". But why does the compass wear out if you aren't banging it on things?

I could see a use for a compass on a wilderness server, since there's no gate to orient to.  On a survival server though people generally assume "Up=North" on the basis of orientation when coming out the gate.  I'm not sure how endless spawns, so I can't comment on it's usefullness there.

(and, having just said it could be useful on a wilderness server I doubt it actually would be, I've never seen anyone give directions on my dedicated wilderness server, only ever on the survival server)

I am still not qutie sure why the compass is useful in any sense..... I mean it's great to know where North is, but why would you care to know?

It's easier for me to say "Pig King? Follow the cobblestone path east" instead of "If you follow the cobblestone path and you end up in a forest turf, go the other way. You should go through a deciduous forest."

Something I've learned in dst is that almost every people never turn camera, and thus use up as north. This has been very frustrating to me since I always turn camera as if it was obsessive, and I've never managed to force me into retaining the original orientation. So obviously I'm happy with the compass changes, I'll encourage people to use it.

I also support the idea of starting with a random orientation.

The problem is that you can tell which way is north if you just walk around it's hard for me to explain but if you move up and your character never looks to the left or right then that way is north if your going up and your character can look left and right while going up your going south.

The problem is that you can tell which way is north if you just walk around it's hard for me to explain but if you move up and your character never looks to the left or right then that way is north if your going up and your character can look left and right while going up your going south.

This is why we need a compass ^^ 

I just usually use the terrain to tell the direction... if the grass turf in the map has horizontal lines, and if the water's edges are not diagonal, then I turn them to what seems right... and the farm plots help(ed) too... but now that compass and stuff happened... my skills are now obsolete... curse you progress!! O__O

but signs FTW though...

The compass is useful for me because I frequently change the orientation of the camera. I've found that the majority of players never mess with the camera orientation, so for them 'up' is always north. When I enter a new world, I've learned to set a mental marker on the map that can orient me relative to the static camera people before I start changing anything; sometimes I forget to do this though, and then we need to set ourselves straight via landmarks, so in this situation the compass is great. But on a server where nobody changes the camera (which is the usual situation), the compass is utterly useless. 

Not sure if this was just a fluke on world generation, but when I created a world using my Dedicated Server, the ice hound trap bugged out.  The hounds weren't put to sleep and started running amok.

I remember the server saying something about failing to go to a state "forcesleep" so I sorta saw it coming.

I don't know if it happens outside of dedicated servers though.

Not sure if this was just a fluke on world generation, but when I created a world using my Dedicated Server, the ice hound trap bugged out.  The hounds weren't put to sleep and started running amok.

I remember the server saying something about failing to go to a state "forcesleep" so I sorta saw it coming.

I don't know if it happens outside of dedicated servers though.

That happened to me as well on my dedicated server. The hounds would just randomly wake up after hundreds of days of being dormant. I tried reverting to a previous session file, but for whatever reason the hounds' wakened state persisted through the rollback. I went into the save file and manually wrote them back in, and this fixed the issue temporarily, but then some dozens of days later the hounds randomly and inexplicably were awakened again. I was pretty disappointed because I was going to push them to my base and use them as decoration. 

Archived