People its not rocket science

If you don't want people to join your servers dont make them public.  I've been on nearly 10 servers today and every time I join I get kicked right away.  WHen I try to return to tell them they are public I get kicked or banned. 

People this isn't rocket science!  Also if people keep showing up that you dont know or invite MAYBE your server is public and you should make it private, but stop kicking and banning when it is clearly you who is making the mistake here.

Agreed. I was actually watching Clwnbaby stream while this happened, and it was really frustrating to watch him just want to play and enjoy the game, but be kicked/banned constantly by people who didn't realize they left their servers open to the public. 

On another note, slightly-on but slightly-off topic, it might be nice to have servers that we have been banned from NOT show up on the list anymore. If we can't join them, why show them?

Sadly, its how it goes in all online-type games. People just leaves it open to public, and just kicks or bans if they feel like it or are 'reserving' for 'someone'. Nothing can change that, its the mentality that has been spreading to all online people.

But yeah, I agree with this.

this is not a DST exclusive problem, it happens to all the co-op games I have played, people just kick everyone off a public server because they are only playing with their own group

this is not a DST exclusive problem, it happens to all the co-op games I have played, people just kick everyone off a public server because they are only playing with their own group

Then why make it public?

When you join a server hosted by a player you know that the player has all the rights to kick/ban anyone that player wants, so I don't see how is this that player's mistake. Just like when you go to a "public" club and the bouncer just don't like your group and tell you to get leave it's not like it's their "fault". 

People with different tastes host servers with different purposes. Making a server "public" does not necessarily mean that they want you there to have fun with them in your way. If you are not the type of player the host is looking for then maybe just move on joining a different one, or create your own sever, or join a dedicated?!

I personally think it's just as hard as rocket science to know exactly what people really want and much harder to make it so that everyone achieves a decent "net-happiness". One common solution to this type of problem is communication. From my experience, you can get kicked/banned for all kind of reason: being too quiet/noisy, only doing your own stuff, being too good/bad at the game, etc. To better match people, just communicate effectively. either by making a better system with more "tags", descriptions to the sever or to simply greets the host and tell him/her what you want from joining the sever. 

People with different tastes host servers with different purposes. Making a server "public" does not necessarily mean that they want you there to have fun with them in your way. If you are not the type of player the host is looking for then maybe just move on joining a different one, or create your own sever, or join a dedicated?!

So, how, pray-tell, is the host deciding they're "not the type of player they're looking for" when they immediately kick them just for joining?

This is not a whine-thread about someone being banned for being bad or griefing. This is a thread about why we don't understand why someone would open a public server and then keep it to their friends by just instantly kicking or banning anyone who joins, when the option for a private server exists.

Kicking someone you don't know the second that they join is just rude regardless if you don't tell them why, just like it's rude to slam the door in someone's face. If you're waiting for a player who D/Ced or had to brb to get back, or you're trying to get a friend to join you, then just politely tell the new person that before you boot them. Sheesh, how hard is that? 

Common courtesy, so hard to find sometimes.

@LocHa, You're missing the point dude.  There is no series of actions that lead to the kick/ban.  Their kicking and banning people upon joining, meaning they dont want to play with the public.  @ryouryou gets whats being said here and if you need help figuring it out read his post above, it cant explain it any more clearly.

Lol, you know what kind of servers really grind my gears; the ones where those connected as LAN on the online server are the ones who can use hammers, chests etc. And it didn't matter if you've been on the server a day longer. But honestly there's nothing much we can do. If they wanna be douches, fine, I'll just host my own servers or join other ones. Simple as! Problem solved! Why does it matter if you find it "rude"? If it doesn't harm you, why would it matter?

Happened to me twice in a row yesterday but it's rare fortunately. Pseudonyms and second server's name made me guess that there was a certain community present, I expected to be asked to leave and it happened. Absurd and unfair but no big deal really.

@LocHa, so, you're saying that when they set a server to public, you're supposed to know if they want some guy like you or not in the server? And they are capable of seeing what kind of player you are in just a few seconds? Well, I want those powers, because to my puny human brain, that looks nigh impossible.

Making a server "public" does not necessarily mean that they want you there to have fun with them in your way.
you have no idea how much it hurts to spill hot coffee through your nostrils...

You're right, this is Crocket Science.

Understandably, some people have certain ways they like to play, but they should probably consider writing those in the server description. Granted, that doesn't stop people who don't speak the same language, but it's at least some sort of warning.

But from what I can tell, you're referring to people who ban new players on entry without as much as a "your name offends me?" I'm wondering if they even bothered to look in the server settings to find the Password/Friends Only setting.

I admit, I've only had this experience once; I joined a server as Wilson and the host who was Wolfgang stared at me pensively for a couple seconds before banning. :encouragement:

This happens to me quite often. I'm a very nice, helpful player. I never used Willow on DST either so it couldn't be a prejudice on Wickerbottom.

The reasons I've seen so far are:

1. High ping
  2. Language barriers

#1 isn't too hard to explain to a new spawn, so it still doesn't excuse the insta-kicking.

#2 is a bit complicated. I've joined servers hosted by kids*** who can barely speak English or are perhaps too shy to converse in English. They check your Steam profile for country or sometimes greet you in their language and kick you if you answer in English. For these ones, I guess we can't fault them for being unable to explain why they kick you.

It doesn't bother me a lot to be kicked immediately. Though like OP, I do wish people would edit the server description to reflect their arbitrary rules. (Or yeah, password protect the servers if it's not meant for strangers.)

***had to qualify "kids" because some non-English servers hosted by adults do try to say a simple "Sorry <country> only pls" before kicking you or waiting for you to leave.

I usually join servers with a ping of under 100. That means they are never further away than somewhere else in the western or central US. If nothing is available close to that, I host my own.

So I don't usually have an issue with either of those things, but I also rarely am instantly kicked (compared to OP) so it's possible that one of those things could explain some instances?

I also speak Spanish alright too and that's really the only alternate language that I could imagine a server having nearby me.

lol.

MAYBE, they do know you, and kick you was not a mistake for them.

there must be a reason, either a stupid one or not.

like maybe your name is smells like a troll, griefer, noob, etc for them, i dont know.

if it really bother you, why still bothering yourself by joining others.

just host your own public server.

you are a streamer, so i assume you got all of that is needed to host your own DST server.

talking it right here doesn't really help really.

those people that you are trying to reach perhaps doesn't bother to check the forum.

and perhaps all the people here don't do things like what you said.

so it got no actual meaning except getting sympathy from others

and like the other had been saying, this happen a lot in other co-op game.

I join lots of pub server too when i'm bored.

and never got kick right from the bat tho.

I only join server that got ping under 100, so it means it's within my own region.

so maybe my region is more civilized that yours, dunno

if it really bother you, why still bothering yourself by joining others. just host your own public server. you are a streamer, so i assume you got all of that is needed to host your own DST server.
well, because he is a streamer. I don't watch Don't Starve Streams(sorry guys, my time is too precious), but  I'm assuming that Streamers, due to their limited time and necessity to keep the audience entertained can't just create a world for themselves and spend all those boring first hours doing not much and losing audience.
Creating their own servers is not really very affordable from what I can tell.

so maybe my region is more civilized that yours, dunno
yeeeaaaah.... no. Don't do this.

I get instabanned a lot too.  I rarely ever join servers that have over 100 ping, and I never troll or grief.  Today I was banned twice back-to-back.  On the first server, I spawned in and immediately picked two saplings(nobody was around spawn).  BANNED.  So I joined another server.  Someone in the server said, "hello", so I responded, "heya." BANNED.

It's pretty ridiculous.

It'd be nice if admins were required to enter a reason for banning a player; the same for kicking. Yes, of course then they'd just have to spam a random key in the 'reason' text. As an alternative, there could be pre-set reason id's.

Or even better... put a timeout on entry to the server... say a 30 second minimum before someone can be banned. This, of course, nulled if the player takes an action.

As a last resort... the devs could add a ban-count to the server list.... that way you can see how many times people have been banned from that server, before connecting to it.

But yeah, as everyone has said... if people would make private servers private, there wouldn't be a problem.

My 1.125 cents.

-Crynux

Archived