Walls Around Camp

I actually hate having walls.. I'm almost always insane and it's annoying trying to kill terrorbeaks/crawling horrors when there are walls in the way. Even moreso because I use ctrl + F to hit them, but then my character auto-targets the walls and I just end up breaking them myself in my insanity. I use them to protect my flowers though; can't have random fires destroying all my hard work, y'know?

Walls are annoying me , hard work and wasted time , just for some defensive..

Walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls...

O____O

And so the nightmare continues...

Walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... 

(Love the signature! :3)

I rarely do installing the walls because it's time consuming work and little rewards.

But sometimes you could find some advantage of them, like forcing hounds rush in a row of corridor made by walls so you can remove them one by one by weapon or traps.

And it will protect you from werepigs when you have your camp near guard pigs for a free safeguard lol(it takes reasonable time to break down whole walls by werepig strike, so you could get time to response).

Also somebody mentioned that many noob griefers don't know how to break down the wall with hammer, so it guarantees some protection from them too.

But what I like is making a wormhole surrounded by walls so forcing a misfortuned man without hammer gets suffer from mental damage from useless wormhole travel lol! But in DST RoG test version you can make hammer without the machines, so it will not be effective way of make fun.

And in bee issue, wikia said bees can fly over the wall in neutral state. I never tried it with killer bees.

First time I built walls around my base they were mostly a screen away from the fire pit, only covered the north half, and were just there to funnel the frogs away from my work space.  The base itself was built on savanna that extended south that bordered pond-infested grasslands on the north, y'see.  Just about every other time I've built walls, they've been an inconvenience and either I, pengulls or spiders have torn them down.  Usually by the time I realize a herd of beefalo in heat are about to migrate through my base, it's too late to discourage them with walls.

I have been making plans to add walls to my current base, but it's only so I can build a Glommer pen to keep it from straying into MacTusk or Deerclops a third time.  Also keep the goop in one place for easy collection.  Finding a good place where there's nothing in the way and pengulls won't charge through is a bit of a challenge, though.  And after that I need to find a second location to build a catcoon vomitorium.  At least if Glommer flies over the maximum height walls I can just repurpose it for the cat.

Walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls...

O____O

And so the nightmare continues...

Walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... walls... 

(Love the signature! :3)

walls everywhere.

(thank you :D )

Lets be real here...

Walls are a waste of time, for expert players taking out hounds is not that hard, Well i do agree making a trap room is not a bad idea, but walling your whole camp and only one enterance? just makes you walk all around and waste time if you want to go to the opposite direction of the camp, mostly useless, and its not worth the efford.

Yeah base can look cool with walls, but i am going for efficiency and survival, not for the cool looks of the base.

Wall belongs somewhere upthere in this Hierarchy of Needs.

I start building walls around days 50 in vanilla and 90 in RoG DST with 2 people. They feel like a must at some point where I need to round up all those bases, zoo, gardens and name them with a custom text board.

Or just to wall of the gate and build a maze trolling my newbie mate joining late. It's fun watching your friend suffers while you watch outside with bunch of fire/ice staff.

• If settling on savannah with lots of Beefalos, I use walls to keep red-butt beefalos out.

If you settle near frogs, walls keep them out. Same with spiders.

Other than that they are resource drain in early-game, and by late-game if you are building fancy forts that funnel enemies into trap fields, you've already proven you didn't need them.

Walls don't keep the spiders out.  Found that one out with Webber.  Instead of a safe base where Chester could hang out I got a base where the sound of spiders jackhammering the walls kept me awake all night.  That cobweb-infested ruin with crumbling walls look?  Priceless.  (or 8 days time and 240 rocks, but whatever)

I actually don't like walls because there'll always be at least 1 player with low sanity in the game any time and the walls will make dispelling night hands very difficult.

And walls are only to protect something, but the only time your structures need protection is against deerclops, and it tears down walls with no effort. So I only use walls to pen animals/panic room once I have enough tooth trap

I don't build walls around base myself, but have used other bases that have them.  Here's what I've learned: Beefalo in heat, frogs and spiders will tear them down.  I've not seen them keep out bees. They make it difficult to deal with night hands.  They get in the way when trying to pick up around a bird cage.  They can trap you when dogs come and in multiplayer at a large camp a lot of dogs congregate.  Plus when a lot of people are trying to use the same small exit it's a problem.  The only way i think they help is when the entrances are wide and covered in tooth traps.  Also, MacTusk doesn't destroy walls so you can build them in such a way to guide him in the direction you like.  I haven't seen him shoot over a wall.  I'm not pro wall.  Think they have more cons than pros.   

You can fight over the wall, which makes kiting easier against hounds. Walls are most effective against Krampus, since it will keep him out of your base. 

The best use for walls is to make little pens for smallbirds to hide in when the hounds attacked. Just make a stone wall pen around one stone wall on the inside, tell the small bird to attack it, then wall it inside the pen until the hounds are gone. The smallbird will keep trying to follow you, but it won't be able to leave.

Walling off the magma pools so your spiders or such don't easily catch fire, is another good use. However, you gotta watch out for the Dragonfly. She will sometimes start knocking down the stone walls, but at least it one rock will fix it back up enough.

Besides a tooth trap funnel, I have no idea why, other then to make the base look nice, but even if I do quite like the idea of base building and such, the walls are just too time consuming and worth little to me when I do set up a camp.

Archived