Walls Around Camp

Walls don't stop either one.  Bees fly through walls regardless of size and werepigs tear them down quite quick.

Werepigs are stopped if you simply place a rot within your walls, they'll go straight to it and just keep running.

@Ghostmin, Go test it... Clwn's right.

i checked at SanFran Dedicated Survival now.

killer-bee can not fly over the wall

plz play DST. 

Posted Today, 05:28 AM

I never use walls around my base, it just traps you inside.

↑nvm...now i know you had not used wall at once.

Bees and killer bees will fly through walls if they are totally enclosed and want to go to a target outside them.

If you make an entrance/exit to the bees pen, the pathfinding will tell bees to go there, instead of going through the wall.

i checked at SanFran Dedicated Survival now.

killer-bee can not fly over the wall

plz play DST. 

Posted Today, 05:28 AM

I never use walls around my base, it just traps you inside.

↑nvm...now i know you had not used wall at once.

Maybe SanFran has something that makes killer bees not go through walls.

besides, I've had bees fly through walls, make sure they're still targeting you by the time you get to the walls.

Also, you don't think what you said to Rezecib is a bit rude? Every DS or DST player has used Walls at some point.

Why?  

because why not?

---

because you got nothing else to do/build.

because it feels cozy

because people saw it on the internet

because it make your camp looks more amazing

for some safety reason (they said)

because it's there to craft

to fill empty space (and the emptiness of your heart) - wtf

---

as for me. i dont usually put wall around my camp.

i use wall to protect some building/plant or whatever they are from getting burn (by fire hound, stop fire spreading)

and use to create panic room (trap room) to dealt with hounds

Walls are okay for funneling mobs into a Tooth Trap-filled farm area, but that isn't typically the base.

It depends on the location and positioning... you could even make your base the funnel-trap, sleeping area and base... you just need careful planning...

post-396589-0-46482000-1426494349_thumb.

So the "castle" has 3 entrances, each with teeth trap carpets... the other wall is flanked by the sea so you don't have to worry about things attacking there... as for shadow hands, the road turf can get you in and out the base/fort/house and track down the hands...

You could say I'm an advocate of walls and floors... but that's just me... O___O

Now roofs... hmm... I don't know... kinda indifferent about them... wait... what were we talking about? O__O

@Asparagus, Well, I've done stuff like that and all, but after doing it once, it was so much work, and wasn't any better (I would say it was a little worse, in practice) than just making a separate tooth trap field that you can run around. It also gives you a separate place you can go to fight giants and have the tooth traps do a bit of damage as you fight them, without the deerclops wrecking your walls.

@rezecib, this is just for those times when you just want to stay somewhere nice and protected especially when there's a hound raid at night...

But yeah, a trap field is ideal for giants... really... I just want to point out that building a castle-like structure is something like a goal... a long term project that you could do with your time after creating a self-sustaining camp and stuff...

So... basically, what I do is:

1. Make a base camp to learn stuff and make your self a little comfortable...
  2. Explore the entire map and find a suitable place to make your permanent base (I usually go for the Mosaic Biome but the Desert and Birch Forest is awesome too)
  3. Do some groundwork and layout your floors to give your base some shape...
  4. Gather rocks for walls while also trying to survive (hunger, sanity, health)
  5. Continue until you can build your ideal base shape...
  6. Protect it with traps... (you have probably lived long enough to build a lot of teeth traps at this point)
  7. Decorate!! :3
  8. Make a separate area for a "battle field" (a field of traps and stuff)

I usually make the battlefield as barren as possible and put in the odd fire pit or two and dot the area with large patches of teeth traps and bee mines

:) or make a giant screen-sized circle of teeth traps if I can afford it...

To do stuff like this...

It depends on the location and positioning... you could even make your base the funnel-trap, sleeping area and base... you just need careful planning...

attachicon.gifmycastleturfs.png

So the "castle" has 3 entrances, each with teeth trap carpets... the other wall is flanked by the sea so you don't have to worry about things attacking there... as for shadow hands, the road turf can get you in and out the base/fort/house and track down the hands...

You could say I'm an advocate of walls and floors... but that's just me... O___O

Now roofs... hmm... I don't know... kinda indifferent about them... wait... what were we talking about? O__O

O_O Such end game!

@rezecib, this is just for those times when you just want to stay somewhere nice and protected especially when there's a hound raid at night...

But yeah, a trap field is ideal for giants... really... I just want to point out that building a castle-like structure is something like a goal... a long term project that you could do with your time after creating a self-sustaining camp and stuff...

So... basically, what I do is:

1. Make a base camp to learn stuff and make your self a little comfortable...
  2. Explore the entire map and find a suitable place to make your permanent base (I usually go for the Mosaic Biome but the Desert and Birch Forest is awesome too)
  3. Do some groundwork and layout your floors to give your base some shape...
  4. Gather rocks for walls while also trying to survive (hunger, sanity, health)
  5. Continue until you can build your ideal base shape...
  6. Protect it with traps... (you have probably lived long enough to build a lot of teeth traps at this point)
  7. Decorate!! :3
  8. Make a separate area for a "battle field" (a field of traps and stuff)

I usually make the battlefield as barren as possible and put in the odd fire pit or two and dot the area with large patches of teeth traps and bee mines

:-) or make a giant screen-sized circle of teeth traps if I can afford it...

Drink up, @Ghostmin

Walls take a very long time and alot of effort to erect, there should be an option to like place 5 at a time or something :)

Hei, good point! I'm surprised none has yet made a mod where you can make a pattern of walls you want to be placed so that the character would automatically and quicker would place the walls around the selected perimeter! Fantastic! I would so want this in place!

Also, if we had roofs which could have a bit of protection from the elements, the walls would be used much more often, as you would need walls to build roofs! Making walls is way too much effort in terms of resource gathering, yet the reality is that the amount it takes to craft a few is nowhere near the real amount. I'd say that more loot from stuff would be more legit to make up if we had walls crafted of the right amount of stuff which one or some would require! It might be a bit tedious, but I would love a bit more realism to this game, it's magical, but non-sensial as well, which is kinda lame and lets you make the top progress in like a few hours of gameplay.

Conquering your world quite literally by day 200 isn't actually awesome. You have nothing to do afterwards! The difficulty and more life like crafting is something I'm planning for the... Damn it! Said too much... AGAIN!

I have to say I rarely keep playing "together" worlds long enough to amass resources for base decoration. Lack of endgame goals present right now after killing a Deerclops and crafting nice things mean that I often declare it "beaten" and go start a new one with harder settings.

RoG and caves are things I want with ALL of my want.

Then maybe I will pretty up the base. Until then, spending days mining rocks is not enough to keep the game interesting to me. I would rather reset, and start starving again. With less carrots and bushes and more deerclops and treeguards this time. 

I have to say I rarely keep playing "together" worlds long enough to amass resources for base decoration. Lack of endgame goals present right now after killing a Deerclops and crafting nice things mean that I often declare it "beaten" and go start a new one with harder settings.

RoG and caves are things I want with ALL of my want.

Then maybe I will pretty up the base. Until then, spending days mining rocks is not enough to keep the game interesting to me. I would rather reset, and start starving again. With less carrots and bushes and more deerclops and treeguards this time. 

Agreed! I desperately need RoG and caves to continue playing. I am playing cooperatively with friends and it's pretty easy after some time. Decoration is no endgame for me. I know RoG is coming soon... :)

And once we have mastered that, caves and adventure mode might be in sight... 

Archived