That one special creature.

In Don't starve theres a fair ammount of creatures that can end your life in a matter of seconds, but we all have that one special creature that makes you so scared you just want to close the game and never play again.

For me that special creature are the hounds, they scare me so much, they make those really scary noises,they are fast and worst of all, they come in groups.

So I want to know what is the creature that scares the living hell out of you and why!

Me. The player. I kill Wilson more often than anything else. I am horrible. 10 honey in my inventory, It's dusk, and I am surrounded by Tier 2 Spider nests... I accidentally light the forest on fire. Oops. But I run around like nobody's business, survive the night, and then, there are just a whole bunch of sleeping spiders. So I try to isolate a group, hack 'em up, run until the rest fall asleep, repeat... Still have 10 honey, but my health is getting low. What do I do? Pick another group to attack, of course.

Was on day 18. Had at least 3 meat at home, one pig-butt (also in my inventory), and already established that I can kill Tallbirds for meat, and even got a smallbird egg! Would have been a GREAT game... Found a pig house (one will do, if you're patient) and had everything I needed except poop, reeds, and the pig king. Haven't seen him since I started using the new world-generator. Could have just gone home, shaved, and become immortal, but no... I had to go after one more group. Did I need monster meat? Nope. Well, silk. Surely I was short on silk? No, had about 10 at home base, a handful in inventory, and spiders all OVER my map, including some who graciously would wander into my camp at night to offer me free silk and monster meat. But I had to kill one more group first.

The Pig Whisperer is death to Wilson.

Warrior Spiders. Just Warrior Spiders. That's all. The Darkness? Nah. He ain't got nothing on me and my automatic fires. But Warrior Spiders..

This.

I'm just now getting comfortable with kiting most enemies. But those warrior spiders are out for blood, and they take it. I'm using a lot of traps in a straight(ish) line now, running up, hitting the nest, and running through my traps to get the goodies. So far so good *knocks on wood*

Yes, I guess that's the way to do it now. Warrior Spiders are actually better now after the hotfix, before.. oh.. god. I do not even want to remember about these times. That was the day when I lost all my meat effigies.

T'was spider queens for about 6 minutes until I realised that they can be deaggro'd like the treeguard( therefore a high level neutral mob) and is actually really easy to kill if you're properly prepared.

That is to say either a spider hat, or a pig army...

or fire darts, everyone loves fire darts!

Fuckin' TREEGUARDS. I scream every time.

Or I end up surrounded by spiders and start running in circles screaming because I can't go anywhere and if one aggros, THEY ALL DO.

actually, I believe unless you attack the spiders as they come out of their nest at dusk, they'll only aggro you one at a time, it isn't until you actually start fighting back that nearby spiders will team aggro you.

That said, the warrior spiders are MUCH more aggressive and tend to aggro at a higher rate, so with a tier 3 nest, I can certainly see how multiple spiders could be gunning for you then, but the normally ones only team aggro if you attack a spider in their circle of awareness.

I'd like to think that made sense...

Edited by qwerm

That said, the warrior spiders are MUCH more aggressive and tend to aggro at a higher rate, so with a tier 3 nest, I can certainly see how multiple spiders could be gunning for you then, but the normally ones only team aggro if you attack a spider in their circle of awareness.

I'd like to think that made sense...

I'm fairly certain you are correct on this. I've found it not terribly hard to, say, survive a night in a highly spider-infested forest (or ex-forest, in one instance) by running around in circles around my campfire. It's not FUN, but you do tend to make it to sunrise alive. Any spider not aggro'd will either return home or go to sleep at sunrise, aggro'd spiders rapidly lose their attention span and then do the same. DO NOT take this as an opportunity to start picking 'em off one by one, until you've found the edge of the spider mass! :)

The warrior spiders are scary, and tend to kill me, but I am very poorly-skilled at the fighting, and I've killed a couple of 'em, without using darts or pan pipes or traps (probably a few with traps, too, come to think of it.) It seems to me that the basic trap is the winner for spiders, since it's an instant kill and the materials are highly available. I'm just guessing, but I suspect it does nothing for the Queen.

the monster that always, no matter what, scares the hell out of me. the effin grue (night monster :p. the thought of not being able to build a campfire or not enough resources for any light source gives me a chill every time dawn comes and i scramble to find something.

THIS IS THE ONLY KNOWN EVIDENCE OF WHAT A GRUE LOOKS LIKE

post-6147-13764589819415_thumb.jpg

THE FLIPPIN WORRIOR SPIDERS GEZAAAAAAAAAAZ DEVS WHY WHY WHY ARE YOU TORTURING ME SO ... at least make it so when they jump they can`t change in mid air theyr trajectories if they jump str8 then let them land str8 ok ? thank you

Didn't you just say you wanted the game to harder.;)

I got 5 or so on one little island, spider queens that is. I walked through my level 3 spider farms I had set up and was greeted by spider queens forming around me, funny though all the nests had shrunk or so I thought. Nek minnit I am running from 30+ spiders and the queens

Spider Queen for sure. I was playing a map pre-patch, and all the level 3 nests to my south came alive, one of the queens followed me all the way from the spider hotspot to the forest east of my camp, and I didn't even notice. Night comes and I'm starting the fire with I here the *click click click* of the spider queen movement, I immediately make a torch and get ready to run, not thinking about putting on the log suit. I run out into the dark and get killed by the army of warrior spiders that were following her. I die and revive with a effigy, and find that she has already infested my camp, and get swarmed by jumper spiders.

I'm able to get away and prepare to burn the spider nest down, and I realize that I don't have my axe, and I can't find it anywhere. I try to grab my dropped stuff without alerting the sleeping spiders (who are right next to and on top of some of my stuff). I manage to find the axe, go chop down wood, and make a fire to burn the level 1 nest. Then I realize I need twigs to make a spear, and the biome I was in had low saplings. It just turned dusk and I'm rushing back to camp and realize I forgot flint, and couldn't see any on the ground. At that point I said "screw it" and charged the army of pre-hotfixed warrior spiders and died after getting one hit in.

So yeah, screw spider queens, I burn nests now just to make sure it doesn't happen again, only keeping the far off ones alive

For me, it's actually the Gobblers :p

The fact that spiders, tallbirds, werepigs, angry beefalo or even fire hounds can all be easily enough disposed off with a swift slash of a spear makes them less scary and threatening to me than a destructive pacifist who is near impossible to catch up with and kill!