Does anyone use walls or flooring?

This might seem like a silly question to some but I am curious as it is something I always tend to ignore when making my bases. Hay and wood walls catch fire and higher tier walls seem pretty resource heavy. Floors I can't really get behind despite aesthetic appeal and even then I would rather be doing thing more productive then making my base all pretty with brand new floors.

I rarely use walls, but they can be useful for containing certain animals, such as Koalafants.  I do like floors, but I wish there was at least some use to them.  Maybe if less snow fell on them in winter so they wouldn't constantly be covered up.

Sometimes I like to put wallpaper on my floors and cover my walls with roof shingles. I don't usually build walls, but sometimes I need them. Like when I'm playing with one of my friends and they happen to go afk, it'd be a waste to do nothing to him; I have to grab a fire dart or fire staff, drop some gunpowder by his feet, and surround him in stone walls, ready to fire as soon as he gets back.

I've used walls to protect my camp from looters and ill-equipped griefers(only lighters/torches, no hammers) in a Wilderness Dedicated PvP Server. On the other hand if its a non-pvp server, I think I might just make use of walls for herding beefies or kfants. For floors, I'm on the same boat with you. I'd probably only ever use floors when I want to make the base fancy. If they had other uses i.e. increase sanity gain rate then maybe I'd change my mind.

I do like floors, but I wish there was at least some use to them.

Cobblestone floors allow you to move faster, allowing for custom roads to resources a bit farther from home. I personally just coat my camp with this once I am set on food.

Eyeplants also cannot grow on some terrain as well, making managing them easier. You could make a road to a single one and use Wickerbottom's Birds of the World, or you could plant a bunch of Lureplants on rocky turf and have Leafy Meat all summer long.

If you're lazy like me, throwing all your items on the floor instead of chests, eyeplants won't gobble them up while you're not looking, as a bonus.

i have a mate who plays webber and loves using spider , i play wigfrid and love using pigmen.    walls are not an option for us , they are a matter of war, life , death , and parties.

floors look awesome and help distinguish whats ur base and what isnt  easier, plus part of survival games is the  mincraftian build a shiny house  thing

Yeah I do, because there's this hidden game mechanic similar to sanity and temperature, called coziness. 

There's no such game in this game (nor DST nor RoG). You have been heavily misleaded.

If you aren't ironic that is.

Yeah I do, because there's this hidden game mechanic similar to sanity and temperature, called coziness.

@imsomony, @Pyromailmann,  I don't know if this is true so I'm gonna refer this question (well, observation) to you guys...

post-396589-0-03779300-1422843419_thumb.

So, here are my observations:

1. Rocky turf can absorb heat/cold - fire pit as heat source, rocky turf absorbs heat, fire dies. But even after a few day segments (about 8-12 from what I saw), just standing there keeps you warm. (the freeze over effect actually receded after stepping on it)
  2. Wood floors absorb a little heat and makes a good sound when walking on it...
  3. Carpet floor... ditto...

Is there any code to back these up or am I just overdosing on Green Mushrooms again?

O__O

@Asparagus, there's this neat little mod on the Steam workshop. ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249535672

Wood and Carpet Flooring have always been useless.

Now Carpets insulate, protecting you in winter and Wood Floors halve sanity loss at night.

-edit- forgot to mention, it's not for dst, bur for ds vanilla and rog.

We put up stone walls around our base if we have a plethora of stone. We like the walls for kiting hounds and cornering turkeys.

We also dig up whatever biom is under our base. We find it is easier to spot things and click on things when we desperately need to (like fighting hounds).

@Asparagus, Too many mushrooms, friend. I double-checked the files just to make sure, and yeah, turf/world tiles don't have properties of heat/cold absorption. I remember people asking for that sort of thing when Reign of Giants was still in development (such as making the desert warmer). The freeze-over effect you experienced may have been due to the season being in transition?

@Asparagus, Too many mushrooms, friend. I double-checked the files just to make sure, and yeah, turf/world tiles don't have properties of heat/cold absorption. I remember people asking for that sort of thing when Reign of Giants was still in development (such as making the desert warmer). The freeze-over effect you experienced may have been due to the season being in transition?

I was guessing that.

I do, haha. Part of the joy in playing to me is making a sweet-looking fort.

Even if it's essentially useless...

BUT. I have a feeling in the new dedicated, big, wilderness servers that people will be playing on, it'll be more of a thing. Make your fort, guard it. Who's got the best one? Etc.
If only we had gates, though, so this dream could be real... 

There's no such game in this game (nor DST nor RoG). You have been heavily misleaded.

If you aren't ironic that is.

But he is 100% right that coziness is a factor. It might not directly affect your character's chance of survival but comfort and security are things all human beings strive for. If you and your teammates are good at the game then there probably aren't any pressing matters that aren't allowing you to build your base.

First off making the flooring requires a lot of wood. When you're having sanity problems working on flooring materials by chopping trees with the pigs is a very efficient use of your time. Second the flooring provides safe spots where lure plants can't grow. Third during winter when the nights are a lot longer there isn't much efficient use of your time. While you're cooking food, sorting chests, and changing drying racks, it's pretty easy to work on the flooring.

Once you get to a spot in the game (I'm on ~day 80 on me and my BF's server) where you all of your food is constantly rotting because you can't eat it all, and you almost always have a chest full of every essential resource, there really isn't much to do if you're not going to work on your walls/flooring. Walls are good protection and you're so far in the game you want a little piece of land that looks nice and feels cozy. It's not like you go to work everyday and then want to come back to a dump, irl so why would you want your little Wilson or Wickerbottom or Wendy to have to come home to a fire and a chest and a bunch of soggy grass?

Archived