king of winter help!

Best tips I can give you for Adventure mode in Winter.

-burn trees to get heat and take the loot in order to use later.

-collect all food, don't make plans for farms

-collect all basic items until you get a stack(you wont get but is nice to have this target)

-if you have monster meat, put pigs to attack each other.

-if is not "game is a foot" use roads!! near roads you always find things.

-about "things" always 1 biome is empty, don't bother to explore all biome if you are sure is not a land bridge somewhere close.

when you discover science

-make a pitchfork, burn turf not logs!!!! It's blasphemy to put logs on fire in Adventure Mode.

-get a thermal stone if you can't make a puffy vest or a beffalo/winter hat.

-hunt Koalefant or put down a beffalo, attack period is 3 hits 1 dodge for beffalo.

-always carry a pre-fire.

-destroy pig houses for pig helmet for combat.

-track down a tusk, is a must! when you feel confident and map helps you with a tallbird or beffalo, don't be rambo if you don't know how to deal with them, this game punish you hard and you wont recover, you will just be push out of misery(death).

I wll come with edits if I remember anything useful.

Edit:

-Collect all green mushrooms (gives you: sanity, penalty: HP) and blue mushrooms (gives you: HP, penalty: sanity).

-collect all basic items until you get a stack(you wont get but is nice to have this target)

-about "things" always 1 biome is empty, don't bother to explore all biome if you are sure is not a land bridge somewhere close.

-make a pitchfork, burn turf not logs!!!! It's blasphemy to put logs on fire in Adventure Mode.

-hunt Koalefant or put down a beffalo, attack period is 3 hits 1 dodge for beffalo.

-track down a tusk, is a must! when you feel confident and map helps you with a tallbird or beffalo, don't be rambo if you don't know how to deal with them, this game punish you hard and you wont recover, you will just be push out of misery(death).

Edit:

-Collect all green mushrooms (gives you: sanity, penalty: HP) and blue mushrooms (gives you: HP, penalty: sanity).

thanks!

Edit:

Nicely done.

I am on day 3, i will manage to stay warm for 10 more days, i get an alright amount of food,  but i need help.

i read the wiki, but i need the map, and the thing locatons.

thanks.

Use your Diving rod; it will guide you to the pieces. Focus first on getting enough food to travel for a few days at least, as well as the before listed materials in Znsstr's tips.

Then go Thing Hunting. 

Understand also @RedReaper that in many KoW games, there are low sanity obelisk gates blocking your progress.

This means you need low sanity to pass through the gates. Raising  your sanity higher raises them again also

Unfortunately, most of the time the rocks you need are at the other end of this gate. However, you should find a couple of gold rocks somewhere on your starting end. Make the basic things like a new backpack (you can leave it just be able to prototype make it) shovel, hammer, spear and Log Suit (and Pigskin helmet if lucky)  to start. 

Having a pre-built science or Alchemy machine ready to place (with a new prebuilt fire pit) once you pass through and are on the mining end can allow you to prototype and raise your sanity level again (since mushrooms will be exceptionally rare and you can't make things like tents or sleeping bags without those gold rocks and prototyping.)

if in doubt, have armor/helmets ready to battle the Nightmares once crossed over.

It goes without saying make sure you have everything you need before moving to the next side, as raising/lowering sanity is difficult in the early stages in KoW. This includes all Thing Pieces found in each section blocked off until you find the Wooden Thing. 

But if you get really lucky, the sections may only be blocked by minable rocks instead. 

One more tip

If you have very low stats and a touch stone at least 1 biome near to the portal just kill yourself(exposing darkness, Charlie will be pleased to hug you, she's a great woman) above the touch stone, you will get all your items fast and you recover half your stats for next world.

Why?

Many reason:

-in adventure mode nights are not very short, because 4 worlds have winter, you don't want to waste time chopping logs. You need to have logs only for making a fire. Daylight and Dusk are for collecting stuff. Night for fire and crafting.

-when you land a campfire on ground you just take some turf and put on fire because anyway night is long and you have plenty of time for this. In light range you can get a nice stack.

-pitchfork is a very cheap item and have a long durability, 1 pitchfork can be enough per map. In adventure mode shovel not worth and axe is expensive enough because lack of time.

Some people burn trees and then take the loot and use for fire, it's nice too without science and you can heat your thermal stone in that fire anyway.

In adventure mode you anyway don't care about destroying turf.

I feel like we need a guide that is done up like a Dr. Seuss book now :eek-new:

about killing tusk? put pigs do your work or at least to keep hounds busy... plant spiders or pigs close to his house or just go with full armour and kill hounds first, then chase him until he give up running.

Kill everything, especially beefalo. If you get beefalo hat, you are ready to go.I can pretty much kill beefalo with an axe, without taking any damage. Then you should try and collect as much mushroom as possible(be it red, green or blue). Pro tip: put 3 stacks of red mushrooms on the ground when a gobbler comes out.

In king of winter, there are obelisks road blocks which could be a hassle. There is usually a cemetery nearby so you should dig some graves, then use cooked green mushrooms to raise your sanity after you cross. 

About kiting, always use mouse to navigate and use space bar, tab key and f(for hitting) when performing some tasks. For example: when fighting the tusks, come near the hounds and baiting their first bite, attack twice using F key and move away, then attack more. After killing the hounds, chase mac tusk until he walks back to his base. Then, hit him several times(he is stun locked in this situation) 

Archived