The unavoidable mechanic known as death

I too think that death should be permanent for entire party. Imagine you play with 2 or 3 of your friends. And you die trying to collect reeds. Waht would you do ? Sit on your computer waiting for your friends to get killed and start a new game ? When i will play with my brother with this system implemented he would have to wait weeks before i get killed.... maybe longer.

Perma death for whole party .... if you die you start a new world.

Or when you die, instead of dying you got resurrected to an infinite touch stone in a second island, it's an very hostile island and you have to go back to the teleportato in this island to get teleportatoed to the main island... Instead of waiting for the party to resurrect you, you have to be punished in a tough island with a way to get back but with price! And each death respawn teleportato... what do you think?

Neat little one we've come up with over myah~ (check previous page for discussion about it)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36103-how-to-rebalance-dont-starve-for-multiplayer/page-10#entry479789

Shadow Revive

When a player dies without means to revive themselves, they will respawn on next day as a 'shadow character'. This character will have fairly low, generic stats similar to a Wilson without a beard. They will also sport an appearance that resembles the nightmare creatures or a clone from the Codex Umbra, but be otherwise functionally identical to any other character you can play as but without the perks. As a shadow character, your main goal will be to find some means to revive yourself. If successful, you will be rewarded by becoming the character you were before you died and became a shadow. If you fail and die two more times as a shadow (totalling three strikes without a means of revival), then it will be counted as permenant death and you will be disallowed revival at that point.

They could have a joint pool of lives for all the players equal to the number of players.

Each time a player die, a life gets substracted from the pool.

When the pool is empty, some baddy comes and kills all remaining players :razz:.

This is such an interesting idea.

I think it should work like resurrection now works with the added aspect of a second person.   What I mean is that with amulets, touchstones, and effigies  they are kind of an insurance, you need to have them ready before you die or they don't help you.   In that way there should be a type of effigy that requires more than one player to build, and can't be used to help oneself.   The details can be worked out by someone who can balance it better. 

Perma-death certainly, however there needs to be a way people can revive you if you died without a respawn mechanic of your own. An idea I heard and liked was the ability to place player heads (dropped when you die) onto a meat effigy and it will revive that character. (could work similarly with touch stones) That way you are not completely done for if you screw up. I would post my idea here right now but I'll just wrap up this post.

EDIT: Heck why not... my idea transformed into: Players drop their heads on death as well as a headless skeleton set piece (and all their items). Picking up the head and burying it (you'll never guess what I was inspired by...) during a full moon will activate the "process". A cool errie sound will be head and lightning will strike the players skeleton reviving them. In all honesty though I think this is too easy and maybe should include beard hair, nightmare fuel, and or living logs. When a player is dead however they will be made into a ghost (maybe... could make Wendy even more useless (IMO)) and they can only do limited interactions. (They wouldn't have any inventory) This is what my original idea formed into.

Why do most of these ideas think waiting 30 minutes to rejoin a game is entertaining?

My idea has this flaw unfortunately... well the ghost aspect helps slightly...

Why not give some insight on what you would like it to look like?

My idea has this flaw unfortunately... well the ghost aspect helps slightly...

Why not give some insight on what you would like it to look like?

I have. Basically, you spawn as a different character and rebury the skull of your old one. Otherwise they remain locked for that server. Then you can use methods like the teleportato, with a small penalty, to change characters. A new monster would be attracted to dead characters to keep people from purposely dieing, and making the skull rather hard to quickly get back. 

You don't have to wait, your gameplay stratgey can dynamically change by consequence of death, you can change characters, teleportato gets a MP use, skulls, new monster, no feeling compelled to restart the entire server. It holds the near gravity of death, without wrecking MP.

I think, they should stay dead. It´s what the game is about, if there is no punishment for death, then Don´t Starve falls apart.

Once everyone dies, the world gets destroyed as normal.

I agree with you, once you die you shouldn't be allowed to join the same game save in which you died in. Your odds of survival should increase greatly as a team, or in some cases decrease if playing with less experienced players. There are ways to revive yourself anyway so I really agree that you shouldn't be allowed to come back once you die.

I am all for perma death. Maybe there could be an way to "revive" a fallen comrade  for example:

When someones Hp Reaches zero, the character is incapicatated  and drops his/her loot like normal but can still be revived. The character becomes less important to  monsters and is only really attacked by monsters that would normaly attack players if no other source of danger is nearby (for example a different player).

The player then continues to lose 2 hp per 5 seconds to bleed oud. Once hp reaches - 100 the player is officialy dead.

They way to revive players would be giving them items that give them enough health back to get to +25 hp.

I am all for perma death. Maybe there could be an way to "revive" a fallen comrade  for example:

When someones Hp Reaches zero, the character is incapicatated  and drops his/her loot like normal but can still be revived. The character becomes less important to  monsters and is only really attacked by monsters that would normaly attack players if no other source of danger is nearby (for example a different player).

The player then continues to lose 2 hp per 5 seconds to bleed oud. Once hp reaches - 100 the player is officialy dead.

They way to revive players would be giving them items that give them enough health back to get to +25 hp.

Left 4 Dead much? Let´s have something original.

Left 4 Dead much? Let´s have something original.

Its ok to have things inspired by.

I am not saying that is my favorite death mechanic idea, but it doesn't have to be totally oringal either.

This is starting to sound more like a zombie game then a survival, guess I am old fashioned but I think each individual is responsible for their own safeguard against death since there are several ways to prevent it. As a group you should all be responsible in helping each other to stay alive but not to come back from the dead.

Its ok to have things inspired by.

I am not saying that is my favorite death mechanic idea, but it doesn't have to be totally oringal either.

No mate, that is not inspiring, that´s directly coping a game mechanic from another game.

Plus, I don´t think it would work. What happens at night? Does the downed player survive Charlie? 

This is starting to sound more like a zombie game then a survival, guess I am old fashioned but I think each individual is responsible for their own safeguard against death since there are several ways to prevent it. As a group you should all be responsible in helping each other to stay alive but not to come back from the dead.

There is a difference between survival and zombie games, but I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

Or you know, the amulet which is already in-game...

Agree.

What if the ghost player had to travel back to the portal in order to be revived? Then the portal would be deactivated after use, in which the player would have to craft a special item/do a special action in order to reactivate the portal. This would also work as a way to introduce new players into a world, each time you would have to reactivate the portal to invite someone new or revive a player. While waiting to revive, a ghost player will almost be like a spectator, but will have an insanity aura on his friend. To keep players from simply disconnecting and waiting for the portal to be rebuilt, a ghost player can possibly fly over water and discover the map for friends? Maybe a different bonus can be implemented, but that to me seems the best balanced way to have fun while staying true to a multiplayer game and Dont Starve. I dont want to start playing with the idea of having fun with a friend and never being able to revive him again if he didn't set up precautions.

@TheKingofSquirrels

There are plenty of game mechanics already in the game that are a "direct copy" of other games. the whole aspect of dying when your reaches zero is one of them. Besides L4d is different in a lot of ways ( you can move, get only three, can do it without revive items!, don't lose a significant amount of food to prevent starvation). I admit that the concept of "incapacitation" is nothing new. But it could work.

Charlie just does what Charlie does  and that is attack until dead or until light, no different then falling into a burning fire.

The thing is. even perma death on getting your hp to zero would be okay depending on how the multiplayer works to begin with. I like the idea of being able to "save" each other in one form or another but I don't want it to be free, especially if there is some form of monster scaling.

The biggest issue I see is how the server will react to player death especialy if there is a "host player" after that we are probably in a better position to decide what the "length" of dying should be.

No mate, that is not inspiring, that´s directly coping a game mechanic from another game.

Plus, I don´t think it would work. What happens at night? Does the downed player survive Charlie? 

I really don't believe L4D was the first to come up with that concept. 

You just jumped out of a big shiny vortex, there could at least be some short amount of light. Just like when you exist a cave. Except this makes more sense then the cave light. 

What if there was a way to revive them.  Like a special meat effigy item.  Then it could let them back in, BUT make a time limit for it. (Some days or a day)  What about an item you dig up from a grave. (Ironic huh?) If anything, what about having a second wind?  Like a player could save another player while they are down. (Of course have a time limit) Though deaths like charlie, or lighting strikes can't be reversed. 

What if there was a way to revive them.  Like a special meat effigy item.  Then it could let them back in, BUT make a time limit for it. (Some days or a day)  What about an item you dig up from a grave. (Ironic huh?) If anything, what about having a second wind?  Like a player could save another player while they are down. (Of course have a time limit) Though deaths like charlie, or lighting strikes can't be reversed. 

Also you could make something really cool, like fight your way out of Maxwell's purgatory with the help of your friends. I also have a idea when you die you turn into a murderous shadow monster, and players have to purify you.(This could kill the other players quickly,so the game could restart) The difficulty could grow on how many times it happens.  (I guess a purification item could be fire, or an item you find or make.) 

Archived