Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

PsiKid

The unavoidable mechanic known as death

lardi    45

I didn't really read the forum but

How about turning into a ghost?

Maybe turn into one till someone makes an effigy?

Kellyc764    50

I think making a meat effigy is enough, multiplayer shoulnd't be another hardcore thing, but a way to have fun with friends and overcome the current obstacles that some people might have problems with together.

I totally agree there. It shouldn't be too hard, inconvenient yes, but hard? Nah

I think the inconvenience factor would be way more fun than it being a mass amount of tricky resources that leaves you wondering "Do we really waste all this stuff on x person"

Instead, imagine "Goddamnit x, you had to die all the way over there!? You're on the other side of the map" "You're going to go resurrect him" "No you're going" "No I went last time, you can go resurrect him"

I think that sort of attitude is probably the most appealing endearing factor of multi-player.

So to summarise, probably using the Amulet to resurrect, but it has to be at their death location.

-Imagine the fun during winter or summer xD lol

PsiKid    11

-Imagine the fun during winter or summer xD lol

You'd get halfway to their body before you get attacked by a Deerclops.

"Okay, almost th- Oh god not AGAIN"

jangofet    45

Don't forget you have to also get 2 crows, a deerclops arm, a tallbird eye, and build it on a full moon while insane ;)

Wasn't it 17 crows that was written on the notes?

Relkofizz    10

I would think it would be some sort of "Revive other" Specific device, maybe a meat effigy near an obelisk + whatever thier character item happens to be? In the case of character without items maybe a "clockwork heart" for WX-78 and "Science notes" or something for wilson Etc. that would be dropped on death.

Warden    125

Wasn't it 17 crows that was written on the notes?

I was referring to the 2 crows that are tied up with silk used in the creation of the portal.

Endaskus    0

There are tons of ways that this could be addressed. The way that single-player handles death is an ideal solution for single-player, unforunately, I don't think there is any single solution that would be as ideal for multi-player. For that reason I think there should be several options made available through world preset settings.

Joshpro8423    45

I think, they should stay dead. It´s what the game is about, if there is no punishment for death, then Don´t Starve falls apart.

Once everyone dies, the world gets destroyed as normal.

Yep, like Minecraft's Hardcore mode. But, maybe have an option, that is off by default, that allows the dead player to respawn as a new char, but makes a giant spawn instantly or something else to counter that.

Or maybe sacrifice the life of a boss/giant to revive ur friend, like how it works for Abby.

GIJoke    30

they should die for good, but there should be a way for the other players to revive them within a limited time. 

cool idea on that, to actually make it difficult:

one player dies, which creates a tombstone and a sorta shrine. you have to go there within a time and dig the grave up. as soon as you do that, a new grim reaper like boss would spawn and you have to defeat him in order to revive the dead player. 

his strength could be determined by the days that have passed. also he could have minions spawning with him, the more people on the server, the more minions.

ALSO! this could be a way to put wilton into the game - dead player turns into wilton upon revival.

ALSO also! vote for krampus!

GIJoke    30

there will be different modes imo, like normal where you can simply be revived, and hardcore, death for good til maxwell won.

ALSO! Reelect president krampus, he's got charcoal!!

seeder    7

Lets face it, everyone in the game dies at one point or another regardless of how good of a player you are. The question I have is in regards to that fact.

What happens when someone dies in Multiplayer?

Will they be revived at the start of a new day provided that another player survives, will they be out of play permanently, or will they be out of commission until someone builds a Meat Effigy or places a Life Amulet on their corpse?

Maybe they will add a reviving item that is difficult to get like killing a rare monster that will give you that item while you are searching the dead friend will be a ghost until you give him the item.

GIJoke    30

Maybe they will add a reviving item that is difficult to get like killing a rare monster that will give you that item while you are searching the dead friend will be a ghost until you give him the item.

yeah, krampus could get a major buff and drop an item called "make a wish" which lets you revive ur dead pal.

go krampus, go krampus!

You know, I think that multiplayer will be unlocked with an item you craft. When a summoned player dies, he will be kicked back in its world like in adventure mode... But if the host player dies, wel, it's game over for him.

What daya think about it?

Yes that's what i thought that portal featured in 'the way' might be, the way to multiplayer. Kind of like the doorway to adventure but it places you in a multiplayer world.

orian34    534

Like a door like the adventure door that leads you to the server and when you die, you get back to the door....

brummbar7    513

Maybe they could put those skulls to use. You would have to bury one and use some magic device to revive a player.

This sounds good to me.  But I'm guessing in mp people don't want to have to do a ton of work - it's more about fun with friends after all.  How about just bury the skull in an open grave, and bam, they're back?  You're limited by the number of graves in the world.  Which is like, what, 20-30 on average?

I feel like if you built an effigy you could have an option to revive your friends.

Kinda like when you open Maxwell's door, a box will open saying, "Who will you revive blablabla >:3" or something like that.

TRENTOMINOUS    540

I'd love if you turned into a ghost(even if you were unable to attack) and the other player would have to make something and use it on your skeleton for you to revive.

And that is how you unlock Wilton

Cosheeta    361

This one is a rather silly idea but what if since players seems to enter through a portal to join each other (at least story-wise) then upon death they could be stuck in this limbo-place where the same portal back to life is hidden through some little odd challenges.

Maybe stack that with the more sensible ideas above, so that while deadguy is working on leaving limbo his friends are collecting enough stuff for a revive-effigy that insta-poofs him outta dere

V3nom    10

I would easily see a mechanism based on crafting a kind of healing tent (or something more voodooish), with the necessity to drag (maybe with a stretcher) the corpse into it, and the rest of the company have to wait something like 3 days before the dead/agonizing/wounded-to-death to be up again (maybe with degressive penalty over days after his comeback, like moving and attack speed, health, hunger and sanity cap lowered)

(time spent for revive and stuff to do this are for example)

All members dead/agonizing at the same time : end of the adventure.

And don't forget that Klei said they are planning to balance the game for the multiplayer, so don't bet too much into a mega easy game, or the impossibility to lose. And balancing my example can be easy just by tweaking the stuff required to build the "reviving tech".

Despite this fact, I really think that a kind of permadeath would be, if not optional (like any hack&slash, hardcore mode), a too big handicap for players who just wanna play together : at the first "terminated" player, they'll just leave the game and recreate one from the beginning, and this could be just pretty annoying and not as the "punishment" as some people are expecting (whishing ?). And I'm sure that Klei would avoid this.

And seriously I see the fact that the game is already vastly tweakable, and I bet that multiplayer will also be like this, so it will keep the quality to fit to anybody, from the beginners to the most insane hardcore players.

PS : the ghost thing could be a nice "parallele" game like the way Heroes of might and magic did in the 5th, exploring, haunting alive players maybe to streghten them... this kind of stuff. And why not revealing powerful loots impossible to locate in another way. (this would set the question of sacrifices ^^)

And why not allowed cannibalism, to pass through a bad winter... and maybe a duration beyond which the corpse is too rotten to be "revived" in the way I described at start (so needing a magic -and hard to get- way).

I'm thinking and writting at the same time... ^^

Monkey_BBZ    22

What happens when a player dies in Terraria? I guess that's how it's gonna work.

Well it depends on the mode. I'm assuming you're talking about hardcore mode, which in this case, the player turns into a ghost. The player can move freely around the map and can do what they want, but they cannot play as that character again, meaning they have to create a new character.