The Problems with Togetherness

I don't feel that this multiplayer addition to the game is going to mess the things in game up. I'm much more concerned about the Forums.

We're going to have hundreds of threads a day saying things like "Don't starve hngr games RP join noa and ply as Katniss :D"

(Sorry @Lord_Battal for taking your quote)

If this is going to work smoothly, then the Mods need to be efficient and crack down on pointless threads and spamming.

Your thoughts?

I......am kind of upset. Devs, DS isn't even DONE yet. It's missing a real conclusion, rather than an endless cycle for all eternity.

I had hoped this new puzzle would point towards an end, but I was wrong.

I can live with MP, for sure, but i'm kind of dissapoint. There's some other things that need your guys attentions, Joe, SethR, Kevin, the whole lot of you.

I don't feel that this multiplayer addition to the game is going to mess the things in game up. I'm much more concerned about the Forums. We're going to have hundreds of threads a day saying things like "Don't starve hngr games RP join noa and ply as Katniss :D" (Sorry @Lord_Battal for taking your quote) If this is going to work smoothly, then the Mods need to be efficient and crack down on pointless threads and spamming. Your thoughts?

I'd hope they will have a different board for multiplayer. Maybe a different board for RP even.

I......am kind of upset. Devs, DS isn't even DONE yet. It's missing a real conclusion, rather than an endless cycle for all eternity. I had hoped this new puzzle would point towards an end, but I was wrong. I can live with MP, for sure, but i'm kind of dissapoint. There's some other things that need your guys attentions, Joe, SethR, Kevin, the whole lot of you.

I feel your pain, but they never promised an end. There could be literally no way out. This game never seemed like a happy ending kind of game anyhow. 

I......am kind of upset. Devs, DS isn't even DONE yet. It's missing a real conclusion, rather than an endless cycle for all eternity. I had hoped this new puzzle would point towards an end, but I was wrong. I can live with MP, for sure, but i'm kind of dissapoint. There's some other things that need your guys attentions, Joe, SethR, Kevin, the whole lot of you.

First of all, I think it's intentionally open-ended with an endless cycle.

Secondly, based on the fact that the new guys have been working on multiplayer and the old team had little to no ability to do it, I highly doubt their attention and time has been used on it much if at all beyond considering if they should add it.

I agree. I am a bit disappointed that the puzzle really didn't add to the overall narrative of DS.

"So long and thanks for all the fish", as dolphins say. Course this time we don't have to worry about vogons destroying the world. don't expect to see a certan cave spide rhere for a while also.

that was funny.

Wish it will be only for a few players, I don't want a server full of annoying people burning all down.

While I hope that RP'ing will be incredibly difficult in this game, so much so that people wouldn't do it, I highly doubt it.

But as mentioned above, hopefully there will be a separate sub topic amongst multi-player forum for RP games.

I'm liking the idea of being able to scout out a few people on the forums to have a game with ... TS anyone? lol

Ending spoilers for Dragon's Dogma and Journey below the cut

Both Dragon's Dogma and Journey end with the revelation that the player's part of an endless cycle for all eternity, and both of those games felt satisfying at the end to me.

If they didn't put the damn thing in there about "WILL WILSON EVER ESCAPE?!" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Ending spoilers for Dragon's Dogma and Journey below the cut

Both Dragon's Dogma and Journey end with the revelation that the player's part of an endless cycle for all eternity, and both of those games felt satisfying at the end to me.

If they didn't put the damn thing in there about "WILL WILSON EVER ESCAPE?!" then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I call that: "A cr*p ending."

There's nothing in Don't Starve that feels like it justifies a lack of an ending to me.

Happy/sad endings are one thing. An ending that is quite literally an invalidation of everything you've done, on the other hand, is an entirely different boat sailing a completely different ocean.

And then, expecting you to go ahead and do further things is just an insult.

Happy/sad endings are one thing. An ending that is quite literally an invalidation of everything you've done, on the other hand, is an entirely different boat sailing a completely different ocean.

And then, expecting you to go ahead and do further things is just an insult.

Well on that one, we can respectfully disagree, I hope :D I notice such endings are fairly uncommon, and thus when I see them, I'm always shocked :)

I myself am a bit concerned about people doing....weird stuff with RPs, I've been on Tumblr, I've seen some of the more....interesting sides of the fandom and wouldn't necessarily want to hop on a NSFW server by accident :|

It always smacks of laziness when closure for a game has to be reached by the fans, rather than the creator.

You have a great point. I actually agree with you. But you become too miserable. Edit:No offense, just now we don't know how it will be realized.

"So long and thanks for all the fish", as dolphins say. Course this time we don't have to worry about vogons destroying the world. don't expect to see a certan cave spide rhere for a while also.

I'm half dolphin you know.

Maybe a should bump a moderator and see his response to this

Archived