The Problems with Togetherness

I don't feel that this multiplayer addition to the game is going to mess the things in game up. I'm much more concerned about the Forums. We're going to have hundreds of threads a day saying things like "Don't starve hngr games RP join noa and ply as Katniss :D" (Sorry @Lord_Battal for taking your quote) If this is going to work smoothly, then the Mods need to be efficient and crack down on pointless threads and spamming. Your thoughts?

I agree with this.  I personally am not interested in multiplayer and feel that there is an overall push to make all games into social games when there is something to really be enjoyed about a well done single player game.  But I trust and respect Klei for both being responsive to fans and for taking a stand in not undermining single player play; In Klei We Trust. 

That said, I predict that the community will change, and the discussions about play and playstyle will change, with more emphasis on multiplayer (with it being seen as "endgame") and single player as "grinding" (i.e. learning how to play the game) or for the kooky hermits who are too sensitive to let themselves be murdered or griefed.  The game was so fun when I was in "discovery" mode, and I frankly had more fun dying 10 times a day than researching optimal strategies online; I shall remember those days fondly. 

I don't really know what the mods ought to focus on; the flavor of the community will simply change because the activity in game will be different (often times more antagonistic), and that will trickle into the forums.  I wish them luck, regardless.

Am I the only one who only sees multiplayer as a way to play with friends? This is not minecraft, were they have gigantic servers and griefing, its going to be a more personal multiplayer were basically everyone knows each other and if one guy is causing trouble is easy to spot and kick him, I cannot see how the forums will get more competitive since farming resources has always been there.

but what will happen to wickerbottom? well maybe people will all have to get in a tent so they will be able to spend the night faster but wickerbottom have insomnia so the whole server won't be able to sleep? 

but what will happen to wickerbottom? well maybe people will all have to get in a tent so they will be able to spend the night faster but wickerbottom have insomnia so the whole server won't be able to sleep? 

Valid question...

Maybe they would have like the advantages and disadvantages screen before you choose a character on that server

"Are you sure you want to play as Wickerbottom? If you choose her sleeping will be disabled on the server."

Valid question...

Maybe they would have like the advantages and disadvantages screen before you choose a character on that server

"Are you sure you want to play as Wickerbottom? If you choose her sleeping will be disabled on the server."

I like your idea, and then for the other characters, taking Willow as a example: "Are you sure you want to play as Willow? If you choose her you might cause massive fires." or something like that.

I think that advertising for servers would probably be better off in a signature or something, like how certain people put links to mods in their signatures.

As far as role-playing goes, I have a feeling that we will be seeing a massive flood of custom characters for multiplayer.  To take from the topic creator, there would probably be a Hunger Games server, and SOMEONE would make all of the cast from it.  It would be even worse if these characters were game-breakers, like having unrealistic stats, and the like.  When I do my character mods, I always strive to keep my art and the character's perks as close to the original style as possible, but unfortunately, not everyone does this.

But yeah, get ready for your Hunger Games servers, your Original Fursona servers, and general fandom servers advertised everywhere.

(I can just imagine a single server with Mario, Katniss, some random green fox, and Wilson all playing together.)  :I

But yeah, get ready for your Hunger Games servers, your Original Fursona servers, and general fandom servers advertised everywhere.

(I can just imagine a single server with Mario, Katniss, some random green fox, and Wilson all playing together.)  :I

*sobbing* Please no.

I myself am a bit concerned about people doing....weird stuff with RPs, I've been on Tumblr, I've seen some of the more....interesting sides of the fandom and wouldn't necessarily want to hop on a NSFW server by accident :|

Having been involved in fandom and RP elsewhere, I know your pain. What has been seen cannot be unseen (or unread, as the case may be) :hororr:

Am I the only one who only sees multiplayer as a way to play with friends? This is not minecraft, were they have gigantic servers and griefing, its going to be a more personal multiplayer were basically everyone knows each other and if one guy is causing trouble is easy to spot and kick him, I cannot see how the forums will get more competitive since farming resources has always been there.

For the sake of those who do participate in multi-player, and these forums, I sincerely hope it stays in the friends/friendly acquaintances/friendly strangers sphere. Griefers and trolls are the worst part of some MMO/multi-player communities.

You will be able to list your game through the system. If there is going to be people advertising their game, they will have to do it in a specific subforum. 

There's going to be a system, and server lists? I was hoping it would be an invite-only system.

The generally agreed upon solution is that sleeping shouldn't skip time, but will raise your sanity/health the longer your asleep, and you can wake up at any time. I personally think this is the only way they should go about it.

Archived