At the moment, the sanity mechanic is one of the most interesting in the game.

But I, in all honesty feel like it could use a great improvement.

The thing that bugs me the most about Sanity is that being insane doesn't have that many effects.

Therefore, I would suggest adding these concepts to being insane:

-Trees, Rocks and other harvestable resources would scream or yell in pain as you gather them or break them down.

-Tools and Weapons in your hand would talk to you and say rather discouraging and possibly bloodthirsty things

-Animals would talk, react to being hit and hitting you. The more insane you are, the more would they speak.

-The appearance of said animals would change as well, possibly having Beardbirds and Shaved Beefaloes that gain their fur as you shave them.

-The examination quotes of your characters would get messed up, with letters being scrambled the more you are insane.

-The boon skeletons would come to life and start attacking you if you take/took their items.

-You can see your reflection in ponds. Should you be insane, your reflection will start resembling Maxwell. Maxwell's reflection will start to look like Wes.

-Food will start to run away from you.

-Pig Heads and Merm Heads will jump from their sticks and start hopping after you. The heads will return once you get sane.

Stats:

Health: 100

Damage: 25

These additions would, I think, improve the insane feel a bit and make being insane a tad more challenging.

-The appearance of said animals would change as well, possibly having Beardbirds and Shaved Beefaloes that gain their fur as you shave them.

That part just really amuses me for some reason.

I completely agree with the notion of adding more to the sanity. I'm not completely sold on all of the ideas here, since I don't want the game to get too too gruesome, but most of it is good. I like the maxwell pond idea a lot. I'm thinking of trees grabbing you with their twigs when you walk past them, aswell.

I think this is a really cool suggestion. Something I've wanted for a while. I really hope they implement this at some point or another in the DLC. The idea of the DLC is a bigger challenge after all and adding some more challenge to the insanity mechanic would be quite good.

That part just really amuses me for some reason.

I completely agree with the notion of adding more to the sanity. I'm not completely sold on all of the ideas here, since I don't want the game to get too too gruesome, but most of it is good. I like the maxwell pond idea a lot. I'm thinking of trees grabbing you with their twigs when you walk past them, aswell.

The tree idea is really good, but in order to avoid them being extremely annoying, they'll grab you if you're wielding an axe.

Lucy the Axe would like a word with you.

But the thing about Lucy is that she's actually really friendly and gives you advice about the Curse.

These tools wouldn't help you; their purpose is to mess with you.

The thing that really drew me to this game is when the original insanity update came out. I thought it added a huge level of creepiness that made it resemble the Tim Burton art style. It still somewhat has it, but I think that there should be more of that added to the game.

In particular, I LOVED how creepy and anxious the shadow hands make you feel. And that music........ More of that sort of stuff please! I want going insane to be scary! Just like it is for the character.

Also liked that little nightmare guy who runs away from you. I forget his name, but seeing him out of the corner of my eye gave me some real chills at first.

Something else that would be a great edition would be more hallucinations/shadow creatures as there is only so much variety to them. Overall, I like most of the ideas the OP posted, and hope some of this is being considered by the devs.

Perhaps this is worth a bigger Mod? Like Insane Insanity. Which focus lies on all the nice suggestions about insanity which lie around on the forums.

I'm no modder, but why not "Crazy Insanity"?

It kinda works like "Venomous Poison".

I kinda wish there would be a level of insanity where there are nightmare creatures that will attack you, but they aren't as strong as the ones that exist now. Kind of like how at one level, every rabbit turns into a beardling, and then the one im suggesting, then those two big guys start showing up and wreaking face.

I dont like the idea of beard birds, they are a reliable source of meat when you are insane (since the rabbits start dropping beard hair or nightmare fuel instead of meat) - But the idea of more animations to disturb the player isn't bad.

When you start chopping a tree while insane it cycles through part of a treegard animation.

might be an easy add (since animation is already in the game)

All fuels added to the fire scream like living logs, - also might be an easy add

A color shift could also work - shifting things toward a purple hue

(similar to the moonlight view under a full moon, but not as severe and a violet color)

or maybe rotating the color pallet (greens become more yellow, yellows appear more orange, oranges appear more, red, etc.)

Archived