Giving us a method to grow farms in winter.

Now that we cannot use caves as a greenhouse for winter, any vegetarian characters (or people trying to go vegetarian) without the deep-freezer mod or realistic honey mod will find themselves very hungry very fast once all of their food has been eaten or rotted away. So, having a method to allow farms to grow in winter would be a nice touch.

This could be a number of things:

A Greenhouse that can be built on existing farms

Magical Heating torch that gives heat in an area (this method would be OP even if it ran of nightmare fuel)

Magical potion to pour on a plant to allow it to grow in winter

Higher tier magical/mechanical farm that can grow food during winter

Why give us an option to grow during winter? This will one, as said before, allow people to go vegetarian without having to bring in outside mods. Two, this will give players a different method to obtain food in the winter that does not require them to farm meat, because lets face it, what is the difference between farming vegetables and farming easy meat during the winter?

What if there is a way to preserve fruits/veggies more effectively?  Many cultures will dry or pickle vegetables and reconstitute them in the winter.  I've seen a pickling mod, but I wonder if we could just let the drying rack make dried veggies / fruit leather instead.  It doesn't quite fix the growing issue (I think a greenhouse upgrade to a farm plot is a great idea, especially since temperature dynamics are being reworked with summer), but that could offer a good balance of realism and gameplay.

You can actually download a mod, made by a user, I think, that allows you to make greenhouses. I too try and go veg while playing the game, which makes it much more difficult. I just survived my first winter (I'm on day 45 now) and I had a couple of greenhouses which helped.

I disagree with Rodoto. It certainly doesn't make it any easier. The greenhouses themselves are difficult to make. 10 boards, which is 40 logs, plus two heating stones and six manure. It took me days to make three of them. I made my camp right near the beefalo which helps of course, especially when the dogs come. I think the greenhouses should be part of the game in a more official way; for those of us trying to go veg in the game, it would make that possible. I highly recommend downloading the mod for it though.

A greenhouse will just kill any difficulty in the game what caused it to get boring fast for some people. If your running out of food, I would suggest going out your base and hunt some beefaloo. otherwise, plan ahead and ration if need be.

A greenhouse will just kill any difficulty in the game what caused it to get boring fast for some people. If your running out of food, I would suggest going out your base and hunt some beefaloo. otherwise, plan ahead and ration if need be.

I think these folks are trying to go vegetarian, on principle.  So in that case beefalo aren't a solution for them.

Define the difference of making the game easy between giving the player different options and methods for survival. A greenhouse in general would not make it easier in general. Fact is, the one thing in this game that no one seems to have an issue with is gather food, so giving players another method of getting food would not make the game any easier.

Now that we cannot use caves as a greenhouse for winter, any vegetarian characters (or people trying to go vegetarian) without the deep-freezer mod or realistic honey mod will find themselves very hungry very fast once all of their food has been eaten or rotted away. So, having a method to allow farms to grow in winter would be a nice touch.

This could be a number of things:

A Greenhouse that can be built on existing farms

Magical Heating torch that gives heat in an area (this method would be OP even if it ran of nightmare fuel)

Magical potion to pour on a plant to allow it to grow in winter

Higher tier magical/mechanical farm that can grow food during winter

Why give us an option to grow during winter? This will one, as said before, allow people to go vegetarian without having to bring in outside mods. Two, this will give players a different method to obtain food in the winter that does not require them to farm meat, because lets face it, what is the difference between farming vegetables and farming easy meat during the winter?

I know, maybe they should make it so if you put fire pits (in winter), the plants can grow, but at a snail's pace. Fertiliser can help, but with maybe less fertilising power (does that make sense?).

I know, maybe they should make it so if you put fire pits (in winter), the plants can grow, but at a snail's pace. Fertiliser can help, but with maybe less fertilising power (does that make sense?).

Manure + 2 grass > warm the earth, give a little heat for plant to grow, a short time ?

Define the difference of making the game easy between giving the player different options and methods for survival. A greenhouse in general would not make it easier in general. Fact is, the one thing in this game that no one seems to have an issue with is gather food, so giving players another method of getting food would not make the game any easier.

Normally I would agree, but farming is the easiest method of getting food, just plant a seed and spam fertilizer; especially with the new poop bucket. Not to mention that seeds (excluding the crop specific seeds as of now) can be renewed by giving them to your caged bird

That's not going to make it any less harder because RaspberrySwirlGirl made that argument for me without even knowing it

The greenhouses themselves are difficult to make. 10 boards, which is 40 logs, plus two heating stones and six manure. It took me days to make three of them. I made my camp right near the beefalo which helps of course, especially when the dogs come.

And you could make the green houses ahead of time and before you get started on tanning racks, there is a level of risk involved with hunting. As for not spoiling as along as long as it's on the rack, yeah I can't really defend that; that should go away. With farming, there is literally no risk involved and a green house would just avoid having to plan all together. That's not to say that farming should be done away with.

That makes sense.  Glad really, being able to freeze food sounded way OP to me.

I wouldn't say that because of what Zalyn said

What if there is a way to preserve fruits/veggies more effectively?

I like that idea because your actually preparing for something. Just have an extended perish time instead of stopping the perish time entirely.

I think these folks are trying to go vegetarian, on principle.  So in that case beefalo aren't a solution for them.

There shouldn't be any real strategy for playing. You can only adapt according to the situation.

This quote from Dwight D. Eisenhower summarizes everything I said.

"...Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

Normally I would agree, but farming is the easiest method of getting food, just plant a seed and spam fertilizer; especially with the new poop bucket. Not to mention that seeds (excluding the crop specific seeds as of now) can be renewed by giving them to your caged bird

That's not going to make it any less harder because RaspberrySwirlGirl made that argument for me without even knowing it

And you could make the green houses ahead of time and before you get started on tanning racks, there is a level of risk involved with hunting. As for not spoiling as along as long as it's on the rack, yeah I can't really defend that; that should go away. With farming, there is literally no risk involved and a green house would just avoid having to plan all together. That's not to say that farming should be done away with.

I wouldn't say that because of what Zalyn said

I like that idea because your actually preparing for something. Just have an extended perish time instead of stopping the perish time entirely.

There shouldn't be any real strategy for playing. You can only adapt according to the situation.

This quote from Dwight D. Eisenhower summarizes everything I said.

"...Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

Well then, maybe instead of introducing heat to the plants, maybe some special fertiliser can be used to make it grow. It would maybe need to be refined with 2 manure, 4 ash and 2 wet goop to make Plant Food or something.

Well then, maybe instead of introducing heat to the plants, maybe some special fertiliser can be used to make it grow. It would maybe need to be refined with 2 manure, 4 ash and 2 wet goop to make Plant Food or something.

1. those items are pretty easy to get.

2. Your not getting what I'm trying to say. Being able to farm in winter will make the game more like Minecraft where you do everything at your leisure. I don't think that's what the developers are aiming for.

Winter only changes the availability of fruits/vegetables; meat is just as available in the winter.  Therefore, I disagree with the assertions that allowing more veggies in winter would make it too easy; you don't get as full from eating veggie-only foods anyway, and I suspect all the people complaining about balance have plenty of meat stocking their larders.  I have no problem keeping fed in winter because I use a lot of meat; if I played vegetarian (especially without eggs), I would have much more trouble.

@pwhampton I'm not sure I'm understanding your reasoning. Can you elaborate? Winter lasts just as long as it does in the regular/vanilla game, so to me, the same gathering/planning strategy to survive it still applies whether eating meat or vegetarian?

We can still build an icebox to store food. We can still build a birdcage and feed fruits/veggies to the bird for seeds. We can still build farms and plants/harvest our crops prior to Winter beginning, and hopefully all of them are now Dragonfruit. We can still build multiple beehives for honey. We can still build crockpots (although the mechanics of hoarding pre-prepared meals has changed). All of these things exist above-ground as well as below.

I just wish we could break the ice over ponds in Winter

@glemmstengal, I've always wished this too! How fun would it be to do some ice-fishing, and perhaps have to run from polar bears trying to steal your food?

@imsomony  Having a method to grow veggies in winter is mainly for balance concerning vegetarian characters from mods, or possible vegetarian characters that Klei could always come out with (not saying they are, they just could) And while you have plenty of time to prepare for winter under normal settings, there are situations where you do not have time; winter only worlds, or very long winter turned on and you run out of supplies. Now, a lot of people are saying this can be very overpowered, but as a vegetarian character, trying to get your farms up, find seeds (tumbleweeds are the way to get seeds in a winter only setting), and dealing with everything else that winter has to offer, will still be a very, very hard task. For our meat-eating character doing a winter only, they do not even have to bother with farms, been there done that, and I can say trying to maintain farms during winter would be a waste of time. And, if Klei ever wants to release a vegetarian character at some point, getting fresh food during winter will be something they have to balance in.

Did that answer your question?

@pwhampton I'm not sure I'm understanding your reasoning. Can you elaborate? Winter lasts just as long as it does in the regular/vanilla game, so to me, the same gathering/planning strategy to survive it still applies whether eating meat or vegetarian?

We can still build an icebox to store food. We can still build a birdcage and feed fruits/veggies to the bird for seeds. We can still build farms and plants/harvest our crops prior to Winter beginning, and hopefully all of them are now Dragonfruit. We can still build multiple beehives for honey. We can still build crockpots (although the mechanics of hoarding pre-prepared meals has changed). All of these things exist above-ground as well as below.

Part of the problem is that (based on a cursory check of the wiki) you can't prepare/preserve veggies/fruits so that they have a longer spoilage time the way you can with meat.  Jerky lasts 20 days; all cooked veggies/fruits (other than corn) have a shorter spoilage time.  Even the champion, Dragonpie, spoils in 15 days. And now, with the DLC changes, even an army of crockpots (which i guess was a veggie strategy in the past) won't help now because foods will start to spoil once cooked. 

This means that vegetarian foods won't last as long as meat foods, and when you can't get more in the winter, it does mean a difference in playstyle viability.  Thus my advocacy of having a function to dry veggies/fruits to have the same spoilage as meat jerky - it still leaves vegetarian play challenging, but it at least allows a type of preservation that rewards preparation.

Archived