What "types" giants do you think will be in Reign of Giants?

What about a giant "Dark Spirit"? A giant monster made entirely out of nightmare fuel?

+1

Never would've thought of it, tho... Have you seen the shadow man that has a face like Egg man from Sonic X and he's really tall and slim? I think he's the main villain but Idk what the character's called!

haven't you thought of giant from the sea?

i think merms should add a little more backstory.

merm workship some sea monster 

have an altar , statue of sea monster

and pigmen sacrificial.

218.gif

Also, I'm expecting that one fire tortoise (who I will know dub HELLSHELL) to appear in Summer.

You might be onto something. The was some concept art featuring a bigger than usual hound on Jeff Agala's tumblr.

This may be off topic a little, but this was also posted fairly recently, less than a month ago.

tumblr_mz0eqw62s31s8bb9go1_1280.png

Any chance any of this will be in the DLC? I have no idea how far back this was made, since Maxwell is VERY different, but it seems interesting, especially the lamposts and stuff, big A and pawn.

Really want to see a giant merm emerging from the swamp, who will order all the mersm into an organized attack at the pig's homes. Should this happen, the pig king would finally get up and shout orders to the pigs, not actually partaking in the battle.

Also, some tentacle love, maybe? I mean, we never did found out what was in the bottom of the caves, sadly...

This may be off topic a little, but this was also posted fairly recently, less than a month ago.

tumblr_mz0eqw62s31s8bb9go1_1280.png

Any chance any of this will be in the DLC? I have no idea how far back this was made, since Maxwell is VERY different, but it seems interesting, especially the lamposts and stuff, big A and pawn.

Look at that, there's a pawn! I'd love a pawn! I want the pawn to be in the DLC now!

Also that giant meca. That thing needs to put itself together and show up.

Look at that, there's a pawn! I'd love a pawn! I want the pawn to be in the DLC now!

Also that giant meca. That thing needs to put itself together and show up.

The pawn looks cool, and would make the chess set feel more complete.

I just find it interesting how the whole picture is fairly different from what we have in our current chess biome. Either this is something totally different that wasn't added (yet) or just an early concept of the chess biome.

Really want to see a giant merm emerging from the swamp, who will order all the mersm into an organized attack at the pig's homes. Should this happen, the pig king would finally get up and shout orders to the pigs, not actually partaking in the battle.

Also, some tentacle love, maybe? I mean, we never did found out what was in the bottom of the caves, sadly...

Completely agree with all that. Something involving the swamp or possibly the ocean would really help the merms to be less boring. They're such a cool concept, yet sadly not all that fleshed out. Same goes for the tentacles.

Maybe something emerging from the ocean too. Like Cthulhu.

Completely agree with all that. Something involving the swamp or possibly the ocean would really help the merms to be less boring. They're such a cool concept, yet sadly not all that fleshed out. Same goes for the tentacles.

Maybe something emerging from the ocean too. Like Cthulhu.

or a giant extra loud pengull

+1

Never would've thought of it, tho... Have you seen the shadow man that has a face like Egg man from Sonic X and he's really tall and slim? I think he's the main villain but Idk what the character's called!

Mysterious shadow watcher should do so. He's realy mysterious character, i think they should make one of giants (or their servants) because he's realy tall.  :wilson_lightbulb:

I'm really, really hoping that the new giants are different and interesting.  Not just 'reskinned deerclops'.   Maybe even something other than bipedal.  And ideally, they could each attack specific points of the player's resources.   Deerclops is kind of a generalist in that he hates all buildings, and he's slow.  He's fairly easy to deal with once a player is experienced.  But consider:

The bear/honeybadger ("Beardger" for short) of the fall is interested in one thing: Honey.  He only appears in the fall because he's getting ready to hibernate for the winter.   He only spawns near beehives or bee boxes.  When he finally does spawn, he comes rushing in, rather than the slow plod of deerclops.  If he spawns near natural hives, he swats them (which does not destroy them) causing honey to splatter around, and also summons the killer bee defenders.  He is immune to them and ignores them.  However, this means the player has to fight the Beardger in a cloud of killer bees.  Beardger instantly slurps up honey lying around (ignores honeycomb).   Natural hives are finally destroyed on the second swat.    Beeboxes however are instantly destroyed on the first charge, just like a rook would, as are any intervening "defenses" such as trees or walls or whatever.   Beardger doesn't attack killer beehives, as that would be too exploitable.  He will also attack a chest or refrigerator that contains honey, and if they contain more than one stack of honey, he will prefer them over beeboxes or hives.

In this way the beardger has a different sort of combat mode (fast charge with melee, but no (or reduced) area attack) and that combat is probably conducted with killer bees in the mix, which will be a problem for the player after they kill the beardger. 

The Beardger specifically addresses the OP problem of huge beebox farms that players construct.  The chance of the Beardger appearing any given fall will increase dramatically the more  hives or beeboxes there are in a concentrated area, especially beeboxes.   So, whereas it's not too hard to deal with deerclops without damage, it would be very difficult to avoid at least one hive of damage from the Beardger.  But he's ONLY interested in beeboxes (or honey-containing chests/fridges), so the player's other resources are safe, unless they happen to be between the Beardger and a beebox when he charges.

There could be further giants to address large concentrations of jerky, or huge farm plots or berry farms.  Or one that attacks beefalo herds.  Or giant pig villages.  Try to incentivize diversification.

PANGADILO (something like an armadillo / pangolin cross).  What's it after?  Berries.  It rolls into your berry farm (in it's armored ball form it destroys tooth traps).  It uses it's giant claws to instantly uproot any berry bushes in a given area, as well as digging up the turf in that area.  Any structures or traps that happen to be in the area (lightning rod) are also destroyed.    It slurps up all the berries, and goes on until the player deals with it.  This can severely cripple giant berry farms (the bushes aren't just picked ala turkey, but uprooted!), but not permanently since the bushes can be replanted.  Like Beardger, it's not interested in anything else so as long as the player has other resources, they will survive even if they can't stop Pangadilo.  Also similar to Beardger, the more concentrated the berry bushes, the more likely he is to appear.  He will find your berries in fridges or chests!

The Jerk Beetle grabs all your jerky, rolls it into a big ball (like a dung beetle), and runs off with it.  You can kill him, but you cannot carry the giant jerky-ball on you.  You can roll it back to your base (but it's not easy, just like shoving around sleeping pigs), and you can eat jerky off of it until it spoils (it cannot be put into your fridge, obviously).  The graphic for the jerky ball gets larger depending on just how much jerky the beetle manages to get.

Just wacky stuff.  Its what I love about this game!

I'm really, really hoping that the new giants are different and interesting.  Not just 'reskinned deerclops'.   Maybe even something other than bipedal.  And ideally, they could each attack specific points of the player's resources.   Deerclops is kind of a generalist in that he hates all buildings, and he's slow.  He's fairly easy to deal with once a player is experienced.  But consider:

The bear/honeybadger ("Beardger" for short) of the fall is interested in one thing: Honey.  He only appears in the fall because he's getting ready to hibernate for the winter.   He only spawns near beehives or bee boxes.  When he finally does spawn, he comes rushing in, rather than the slow plod of deerclops.  If he spawns near natural hives, he swats them (which does not destroy them) causing honey to splatter around, and also summons the killer bee defenders.  He is immune to them and ignores them.  However, this means the player has to fight the Beardger in a cloud of killer bees.  Beardger instantly slurps up honey lying around (ignores honeycomb).   Natural hives are finally destroyed on the second swat.    Beeboxes however are instantly destroyed on the first charge, just like a rook would, as are any intervening "defenses" such as trees or walls or whatever.   Beardger doesn't attack killer beehives, as that would be too exploitable.  He will also attack a chest or refrigerator that contains honey, and if they contain more than one stack of honey, he will prefer them over beeboxes or hives.

In this way the beardger has a different sort of combat mode (fast charge with melee, but no (or reduced) area attack) and that combat is probably conducted with killer bees in the mix, which will be a problem for the player after they kill the beardger. 

The Beardger specifically addresses the OP problem of huge beebox farms that players construct.  The chance of the Beardger appearing any given fall will increase dramatically the more  hives or beeboxes there are in a concentrated area, especially beeboxes.   So, whereas it's not too hard to deal with deerclops without damage, it would be very difficult to avoid at least one hive of damage from the Beardger.  But he's ONLY interested in beeboxes (or honey-containing chests/fridges), so the player's other resources are safe, unless they happen to be between the Beardger and a beebox when he charges.

There could be further giants to address large concentrations of jerky, or huge farm plots or berry farms.  Or one that attacks beefalo herds.  Or giant pig villages.  Try to incentivize diversification.

PANGADILO (something like an armadillo / pangolin cross).  What's it after?  Berries.  It rolls into your berry farm (in it's armored ball form it destroys tooth traps).  It uses it's giant claws to instantly uproot any berry bushes in a given area, as well as digging up the turf in that area.  Any structures or traps that happen to be in the area (lightning rod) are also destroyed.    It slurps up all the berries, and goes on until the player deals with it.  This can severely cripple giant berry farms (the bushes aren't just picked ala turkey, but uprooted!), but not permanently since the bushes can be replanted.  Like Beardger, it's not interested in anything else so as long as the player has other resources, they will survive even if they can't stop Pangadilo.  Also similar to Beardger, the more concentrated the berry bushes, the more likely he is to appear.  He will find your berries in fridges or chests!

The Jerk Beetle grabs all your jerky, rolls it into a big ball (like a dung beetle), and runs off with it.  You can kill him, but you cannot carry the giant jerky-ball on you.  You can roll it back to your base (but it's not easy, just like shoving around sleeping pigs), and you can eat jerky off of it until it spoils (it cannot be put into your fridge, obviously).  The graphic for the jerky ball gets larger depending on just how much jerky the beetle manages to get.

Just wacky stuff.  Its what I love about this game!

Weelll, that jerky ball idea proobably would be a bit too wacky, but the general idea behind this concept is brilliant! That's really the thing Don't Starve had missing: something to cripple all the exploitable farms that keep you alive for 500 days with no issue.

Archived