Nov 29 Hot fix!

Kevin

The grass tuft nerf is a bit harsher than it needs to be, really. Especially when compared to everything else that needs manure.

Farm Plots: 1 Food per manure (assuming none are used for fast-growing), which depending on the food can last you an entire day, and have no other uses.

Berry Bush: 4 (or 5? haven't counted) Berries per manure, which a player only needs 6 cooked berries per day to not starve, and have no other uses.

Compared to:

Grass Tuft: 3 Grass per manure, which considering it's high demand is rather cruel. (Campfire, Torch, Backpack, Trap, Farm Plots, Spear, Rope [Tent, Straw Roll, Log Suit, Pan Flute, Hammer, Bug Net], and pretty much all the hats)

Sure, grass is very common (probably an average of 500 per world), but that means you'll get a grand total of 1500 grass (not that much) before you have to collect 500 manure (a lot) to restock the grass.

Syd, that is an interesting idea. Let's see how the current changes affect people's playstyles. If it does turn out to be a big problem for nomads, I'm not against trying something like this out.

With game balancing, it's often best to overcompensate for problems on the first attempt to fix them, and then correct for it as the second step. You guys are invaluable in your feedback, both on the forum and through things like twitch and youtube.

Now that I am all for, make manuring needed for replanted grass only and you punish turtling and make exploring more attractive.

Pretty much all of my issues have been answered in one quick patch. You can't send an army of pigs to take down tentacles as easily, now that they eat that monster meat and morph (awesome solution). The grass nerfing was implemented great, though looking through comments I didn't know many players actually tried a nomadic approach (so i'd agree with not nerfing grass that hasn't been rerooted). The golden tool nerfing also makes that abundance of gold i've hoarded all less pointless. My thoughts have been answered and I thank you devs for your elasticity. Now, to see what exploits can be found in a nomad playstyle (though toads are still too easy to gather from).

How can you say 1500 grass is not that much? Also, there are alternatives to everything you listed as a use (sans rope and traps). Chests are essentially backpacks, and they're so cheap anyway. Campfires are a sort of last resort lighting when a permanent and safe stone campfire isn't available in time, as are torches (which are far less effective than mining helmets, since they don't even last half the night). Also, it limits the ease of traps (to a very nominal degree, might I add). Someone's being a bit melodramatic, here.

How can you say 1500 grass is not that much? Also, there are alternatives to everything you listed as a use (sans rope and traps). Chests are essentially backpacks, and they're so cheap anyway. Campfires are a sort of last resort lighting when a permanent and safe stone campfire isn't available in time, as are torches (which are far less effective than mining helmets, since they don't even last half the night). Also, it limits the ease of traps (to a very nominal degree, might I add). Someone's being a bit melodramatic, here.

Well when one is exploring, you generally don't make a fire pit each night, you either use a campfire, straw roll, or two torches. As for how torches are less useful than miner helmets, as fireflies are a limited resource, you can't use them forever. Same can be said for backpacks vs chests to those who don't stay in one place.

Though honestly, the nerf has zero effect on me, I was just mostly pointing out how skewed (and how overused in general) manure is, considering how tedious and grindy collecting a lot of it is. All I mostly used grass for pre-nerf was lighting a fire pit at night (since it only took 6-8 to last all night), but now I'll just go to using planks or charcoal instead.

When I play, I like to settle down in one spot. But now it seems to do that you now need to be near pigs or beefalo (for manure). So you'll have to explore to find them. It can take a while, and I'd prefer to start my camp right away.

Its just kinda a drag that we will be spending so much time playing with poop. Maybe Wilson should poop when he eats enough food or even better petals.

Hey guys,

Just as one hand giveth, the other hand must taketh away if the game is to be balanced. To wit, I have busted out my Nerf cannon!

*pigs take longer to respawn from their houses

*gobblers spawn with a couple second delay

*grass tufts need manure to regrow

*pigs voraciously eat all food left on the ground

*golden tools are less OP (but still better than flint)

*red gems are a "sometimes loot"

*tallbird eggs aren't as filling/healing

*you can't place buildings and trees as close together, so that you can't build ad-hoc walls. You'll get real walls eventually, but for the meantime you'll probably want to invest in a pig-shield :)

*chests have no collision, because they're small, and chest fortresses are just plain weird

And, because software's gotta run, some fixes!

*fixed some disappearing backpack / item dupe exploits

*space bar won't attack non-hostiles by default (CTRL-spacebar will, though)

*fixed up some misc obscure lua crashes

*researching a red gem shouldn't crash

Are you sure you nerf'd the pigman respawn rate? I'm still noticing them spawn once per day.

I tried to give him some meals but he didn't want my stuff. Then I tried to give it to him, while I was wearing the beefalo hat, because with that we look similar - didn't work. Hopefully it's not the mandrake. I'm curious what it could be and I'll try all the meals I've got yet. Thanks for your hint.

You are what you eat.;)

All of that sound great. But as some others im not sure the grass thingy is a good thingy. I agree with Syd, maybe the grass and bushes pre-relocating, should not require manure. But as Kevin said, will se how it plays first.

Another option could be that you have to create a certain plant soil/ground to be able to replant stuff. A sort of field. And then you put manure on this entire field, based on its size. rather than manuring each individual plant.

I swear Kevin was reading my mind whilst putting ammo in the Nerf Cannon. Pretty much everything that I ever thought "hrm, this might be a bit too good" about took a hit. This is good because it's going to promote more exploration and less Farmville-style play (read: do the same routine every day, build up stockpiles of resources).

I myself was falling into a Farmville routine, filling up entire chests with materials and crock pot food and farm veggies and all sorts of things; now, it's going to be tougher to do that because, for example, using up a stack of Grass is no longer a matter "no biggie, I can just spend a couple of in-game hours to get it all back and it'll regrow in a few days anyhow".

Anyway, the whole point is that it's going to be harder to reach an equilibrium with what you're consuming vs. what you're gathering, and even harder to tip the balance in your favor. All to the good. Now I just wonder what sort of goals we're going to have to meet to "beat the game" or escape or fight Maxwell or whatever it is the "endgame" is going to be.

Maybe someday this will be the "easy starting world" and after doing [things] we'll be thrown into increasingly hostile and barren worlds, where starving will be a real issue because resources are so scarce? That's what I'd like to see, personally - a game like this where you can "advance" to harder and harder worlds... if you want to.

Man... I started my entire game over for this update by starting a steam game, and I have to say that these two new updates with all the nerfing (especially of grass) is making it near impossible to survive long enough to put any research into anything.

Also.. is it just me, or have the fuel sources (especially logs) been nerfed severely as well? It's taking a good 4 or 5 logs to even build up my campfire to a blaze, and it dies down very quickly. This is starting to be more frustrating than challenging for me. I can go over onto the chrome page and play with all my items and it's not nearly as bad... but for a beginner its brutal; even a beginner who has experience playing. :(

Maybe someday this will be the "easy starting world" and after doing [things] we'll be thrown into increasingly hostile and barren worlds, where starving will be a real issue because resources are so scarce?

Yeah, that's what people want to play. Right there, that's it...

In its current state, Don't Starve really doesn't have much for people to go back and continue playing after dying in a game that lasted 100+ days. You spend hours and hours playing, yet what do you get to show for it? Going back and playing more is mostly just a waste of time.

Edited by Perfect Code

The nerf to grass tufts is a bad one.

Especially if the generated world you are given makes it monotonous to retrieve manure and flowers don't automatically regrow.

Edit: Also, please fix the Tall Birds. Getting near them, they chase the player for (about) an in-game day, and they chase the player "forever" if the the player steals its egg. It's quite stupid really.

Edited by Perfect Code

Boo this update will not make me enjoy the game more. Nerfing grass is bad enough, but making me having to actively restoring it with manure sounds anoying, make it regrow slower or something.

Everything dyeing on you all the time while you starve isnt always great. I want to get into situations where I can enjoy it more.

It seems you make too many decitions based on your hardcore survivor players, who wants everything to be hard and anoying.

I am concerned with the grass nerf. Given just how much I need the stuff and I assume others use it just as much.

The manure isnt as common as I would like- I feel rather silly stalking behind a herd of beefalo pushing them aside to see if they have done their business.

I am not sure how to work out the nerf for grass that would give a more balanced world. I just fear that the current nerf will cripple new players and whilst hobble the later game will cause so much strife that it will become the manure farm and no one will leave the poor beefalo alone (I feel bad for those who have killed all theirs).

I don't like the updates with the grass tufts and the gold tools. To my mind the gold tools were pretty fine, because you don't get gold from every stone and stones can't regrow. You also need gold for some other things, for example the neckglace (I hope that is spelled okay) or the miner's hat.

And putting manure on grass tufts also isn't that good, because I noticed that my biggest requirement is for poop and that's somehow weird... Now this requirement seems to be raised...

i agreed that the grass fertalize is a bit much, i mean i don't want to spend my whole day collecting poop and wonder which grass is fertallized =/ i would like it better if the time for regrowth get longer....=/

Question from an admittedly new player - why nerf Tallbird Eggs immediately after buffing Tallbirds? With how aggressive they are now, their eggs already seemed close to more trouble than they're worth; now I think I'll just be avoiding Tallbirds outright. No need to risk their wrath for a piddly snack that I can outclass with more easily-obtained sources of food.

I'll not comment on the changes until I've played at least 50 hours with them, but now that Manure is becoming more and more valuable of a resource, maybe how much is needed for farm plots should be reconsidered? 12 per farm plot + 1 per vegetable seems a bit extreme with berry bushes only needing 1 per 3 harvests. I suggest either reducing the initial cost, or make manure last for 3 harvest on farm plots like everything else.