Nov 29 Hot fix!

Kevin

• Developer

Hey guys,

Just as one hand giveth, the other hand must taketh away if the game is to be balanced. To wit, I have busted out my Nerf™ cannon!

*pigs take longer to respawn from their houses

*gobblers spawn with a couple second delay

*grass tufts need manure to regrow

*pigs voraciously eat all food left on the ground

*golden tools are less OP (but still better than flint)

*red gems are a "sometimes loot"

*tallbird eggs aren't as filling/healing

*you can't place buildings and trees as close together, so that you can't build ad-hoc walls. You'll get real walls eventually, but for the meantime you'll probably want to invest in a pig-shield :)

*chests have no collision, because they're small, and chest fortresses are just plain weird

And, because software's gotta run, some fixes!

*fixed some disappearing backpack / item dupe exploits

*space bar won't attack non-hostiles by default (CTRL-spacebar will, though)

*fixed up some misc obscure lua crashes

*researching a red gem shouldn't crash

Yes, the grass nerf is very harsh, the others are fine. Imo just let grass regrow slower, i have about 120 of them stacked up next to my base, all on one heap. Its gonna be a PAIN to manure them all. Oh well, will try and hope that its not every single regrowth that requires manure but more like berries. Will report back irritations and/or sighs of relief ;)

RIP tree walls.

The grass nerf seems a little much. I agree with just making them take more time to grow again.

...Or perhaps making that change only effect grass that was replanted, to encourage more scavenging instead of making farms?

RIP tree walls.

The grass nerf seems a little much. I agree with just making them take more time to grow again.

...Or perhaps making that change only effect grass that was replanted, to encourage more scavenging instead of making farms?

Totally! I have never replanted any grass and now I am going to be punished same way as those who has thousand of them right next to their camp? :(

• Developer

You get three cycles of grass per poop.

I think that a good guiding principal is that nothing in the game should be free. Pre-nerf berry bushes and grasses were free, you just had to wait. Worse, you could consolidate them from all over the map to have an unending supply of food / burnables. By tying them to another resource (in this case poop), you have to actually do something to keep the cycle going. The fire hounds (and anti-wall stuff) are meant to make you think twice about putting everything all in one place.

At the high level, I'm trying to cut back on the steamroller of victory that goes on right now. The game should get harder as you get farther, not easier.

I'm going to make a post later in the day that will outline the game's roadmap to release, and I'll talk a bit about the end game. What we have planned for that will also help by providing a release-valve for people who get really stable in their first camp.

More later...

Interesting. I was curious about endgame since the game's description hints that there will be a way to win ("Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.").

Also, I had a semi-related question: Is beefalo breeding a planned change for the near future? I've been reluctant to kill any beefalo since they're a great source of manure and, as far as I know, they don't respawn. I'd rather not have to rely on pig poop.

Kevin has said, though indirectly, that there will be beefalo breeding.

Yeah, I was more curious about when it's planned rather than if it's coming at all.

I don't care if I have to work to convince them to... err... do their thing, but I'd love to be able to create a sustainable beefalo population.

Yeah, I was more curious about when it's planned rather than if it's coming at all.

I don't care if I have to work to convince them to... err... do their thing, but I'd love to be able to create a sustainable beefalo population.

Well he said the beefalo hat would serve a purpose.

theres two things i want to note, didnt think much of them at the time, that might be bugs.

1) The animal traps, the ones for the rabbits, some how are traping birds. I dont mean every now or then, i basicly catch about two or three birds for every rabbit with a normal trap. I dont even use bait and the birds seem to auto land on them all the time. I basicly dont even need the bird cage anymore.

2) Sometimes when i catch something with the traps i hit space bar to get it. But if i do it like that i get noting besides my trap back, sometimes not even that.

P.S. i put this reply here instead of the bugs section because maybe they got fixed. Didnt fully read all the other replys.

wow, that will make the game a LOT harder, though I am generally ok with it.

the gold tool nerf was indeed needed, though I admit, yesterday, I had to smash 24 rocks to get 6 gold nuggets... if you nerf the gold tools, you might want to enhance the gold droprate maybe alittle bit, because 1/4 seems really low if you consider that one tool needs 4 gold.

I have a chest nearly full of gold from the pig king, partially thanks to the sheer number of graveyards that spawned on my map, so I'm not particularly harmed by the nerf to gold tools.

Still, the change to grass concerns me. Wouldn't it further promote turtling/farming if the change effects all grass, not just the replanted kind? It'd be a lot easier to fertilize an organized farm of grass than to run around the entire map in an effort to smear poo over everything. If there were advantages to leaving the plants where they spawned instead of replanting them, it'd make a nomadic playstyle more viable.

• Developer
I have a chest nearly full of gold from the pig king, partially thanks to the sheer number of graveyards that spawned on my map, so I'm not particularly harmed by the nerf to gold tools.

Still, the change to grass concerns me. Wouldn't it further promote turtling/farming if the change effects all grass, not just the replanted kind? It'd be a lot easier to fertilize an organized farm of grass than to run around the entire map in an effort to smear poo over everything. If there were advantages to leaving the plants where they spawned instead of replanting them, it'd make a nomadic playstyle more viable.

Syd, that is an interesting idea. Let's see how the current changes affect people's playstyles. If it does turn out to be a big problem for nomads, I'm not against trying something like this out.

With game balancing, it's often best to overcompensate for problems on the first attempt to fix them, and then correct for it as the second step. You guys are invaluable in your feedback, both on the forum and through things like twitch and youtube.