4 months in to 2024, 1 update

I really don't count that year of the dragon boat race an update.

How satisfied are you guys with the new update thats about to come out this wednesday?

I Really like the new chests, and the various qol changes. Not a fan of the scrappy werepig

• Like 2
  • Wavey 3

18 minutes ago, Well-met said:

this was explained by klei. they are taking it slower on purpose.

I know, but they also said that the quality of the updates weren’t going to change, which makes me sad.. because I was hoping taking 2-3 4 months apart between updates if we must we would get some substantial sized content updates.

Preferably content updates that don’t add more bosses..

Ive been playing “The Survivalists” in between DSTs content updates and this game has ALOT of the things I wish DST had, such as sailing to a hot volcanic biome/large island full of resources and mobs.. that requires the player to constantly cool themselves off by collecting & drinking water. There’s also a poisoned biome/large islands that requires strolling through in Moderation.

the hamlet dlc sort of has this too but man do I wish Klei would drop the over focus on bosses, go play the Survivalists… and then turn dst into the game I’ve always known it had the potential to be.. 

I don’t care if we gotta wait 6+ Months between updates, to get something that substantial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm liking the update so far (Im in the beta), I wish that we had one or two weeks more to give some more feedback because the "Klei removed lureplant cheese, god is dead" basically took all of the attention from the last beta update.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3
  • GL Happy 1

Year of the dragon was so lame...

But I'm getting wormwood buffs this patch so it has more than made up for it.

Other than that... I'm gonna wait a bit longer before I decide if it's been a bust or not. They can always be working on multiple stuff in the background. Only time will tell.

• Like 5

It's only 4 months! You can't not count the boat fly update either whether you enjoyed it or not, time went into it!

The current beta is absolutely bloody massive, there's been so many wonderful QOL changes and the new content is awesome and stuff folks have been wanting for years. I'm more than happy with them taking more time if we get more updates like this!

• Like 23

a lot of good changes, really liked it.

Spoiler

I hope we get an hat or something that let us have geometric placement without mods since we got horizon expandinator.

But I am not in a hurry. If it comes, i will be happy, if it doenst come, it is what it is

• Like 3

As a megabaser this update is HUGE. I'm planning to start another megabase world just for the chest upgrade alone.

As a content starved forumite this update is okay-ish. At least it has other QOLs not aimed at megabasers too, like the changes to moonstorms, the orb RNG, the siphonator recipe change.

I want to see the skins that'll come with this update and the short (which I think will come sometime in between this update and the next one?)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

and the short (which I think will come sometime in between this update and the next one?)

They already showed off what looks like an image from the upcoming short, so I imagine it’ll come out alongside the update

• Like 2

I'm okay with them taking it slower and having more infrequent bigger higher quality updates

But honestly this update feels like massive QoL for megabasers, and not really a whole lot for anyone else. 

I'd I was a megabaser I'd be thrilled with this update. For anyone else, yeah kinda disappointing for this to be the only update in 4 months. If they added 2 skill trees to this I'd call it solid, If they added one fleshed out one I'd still be okay with it. 

But to me it feels like it an update that added big chest and honestly, not really anything else.

Maybe some of the blame belongs on the way Klei communicated the new updates, because the expectations they set were much higher than this to me. 

I like Klei, I think they've generally done a good job. But if next patch is on par with this one, then my vote is go back to the way updates used to be. Because this doesn't seem like an upgrade to me 

Edited by Kwaik
  • Like 7

This update gave me a lot of hope for the next rift update simply because Klei almost nailed everything in this beta. So yeah, I'm really satisfied with new update.

I hope they continue the four months one update thing.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

I'll just say this first update is too early to judge since, well, it's only been one update. Let's maybe wait this year then consider if we like it. Personally? I like this pace. Slower, bigger packages. There's prolly much bigger things cooking for future updates.

• Like 5

So far this upcoming update feels more impactful knowing that the devs aren't nowhere as time constrained like last year. Personally I'm excited to see what skins the artists have been working on with this new schedule, you can't rush art.(Well maybe you can, but you shouldn't) :wink:

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 8:44 PM, nimzowitsch10 said:

i'm asking if ppl are satisfied with the update considering the 4 month development time

How bout we wait for the second one before starting the "I feel" and "I think", like, to have a pattern, cuz this right now has sorta spoiled kid energy tbh

Edited by Mr Giggio

hopefully as it is only the first update they decided to do a qol update first while they work on beefier content in the background.

If I were klei i'd really set my sights on releasing a moderately sized content update for sometime in the early summer that ideally either puts a dent in the character skill trees by releasing 3 or 4 of them at once, or an update to finish up the endgame rift content that they started, decided they might need more updates than 3, than got sidetracked with other stuff and have only minorly touched up since then.

I know they have lots of cool ideas for other stuff but they can wait honestly until some of this other promised content is finished. 

And please do not dedicate any scarce resources to Cawnival - the event is already fleshed out enough as is and would be a complete waste of development time imo. 

Edited by sudoku

I didn't want to post until the update actually launched.  I'd say this update shows why a longer stretch of work is a good idea.

In this update we didn't just get new content, which is essential for every update, but also a LOT of QOL things adjusted all around the game!  Including the oft-neglected console controls!  I don't like all of the new content details, but I can appreciate that this update covered a lot more ground and feels a lot more complete on release compared to the usual stint they did before.  I believe this is likely because the cycle of beta to prod takes roughly a similar time for a shorter stint as it does for a longer stint allowing them to focus on simply getting more done before their focus switches to bug fixes and fires on the way to prod.

I really appreciated having the Rhymes with Klei on the start and finish of the beta.  These are always great for introducing the patch and explaining some of their decision making.  I'm always glad to see the Dev's share their thoughts and efforts here.

Unfortunately this update is another one that doesn't quite hit my interest in the game.  I really hope to see some other directions explored rather than this ultra-scripted-combat focused boss fights and simply lag compensating QOL's.  Where is the late game creativity?  Where are the fun and interesting toys we can play with?  Where are the bosses we can actually explore and have fun with?  I used to get pretty excited by the updates and bought all the skin sets that were released with the updates b/c I was just so excited.  Its probably been since Wolfgang's re-work that I've bought any skin sets though...  Things just don't seem very exciting to me.  The only really good update for me was Willow's skill tree BUT she didn't even get a skin with it -_-  

• Big Ups 1

I would like to see if the rest of the year builds off Scrappy Scavengers' content before deciding how I feel about the scope of this update. If, say, the stuff in here ends up being foundation for future, ambitious ideas then I would be sympathetic to the idea you gotta lay some groundwork first. For now I would give Scrappy Scavengers the rating of  Fine™

I'm happy with the update and the time between updates

there are many things they addressed (there are also things I hope they touch on soon, we still haven't gotten any explanation as to where wifgrid, willow and sharkboi short went and how wigfrid's skill tree is still iffy)

but at the rate they're going with this, I'm satisfied