Do you disable wildfires?

Do you disable them?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Do you disable them?

• I do.
    • I don't.

I'm having a hard time desiding if I should or shouldn't disable wildfires in my worlds. I wanna hear some community opinions about what their preference is.

Edited by Gi-Go

Depends on what you're going for in your playthrough for your world(s).

If you're going for something more fanciful and decorative across the world, and don't want to be stuck using non-flammable stuff or putting ice crystaleyezers everywhere to keep it reasonably maintained, by all means, turn 'em off. If that's what you're playing for, then you do you.
If that's not your speed and you prefer fighting to earn the right to make your place in the world, then they're another well-balanced hurdle to overcome.

Most people rollback a burnt-down base anyway. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, and I think you should come to your own conclusion rather than basically asking to be peer pressured, lol.

Though if you still want my personal opinion anyways, I like keeping them on. There's slowly becoming more ways of dealing with smoldering, and while some can seem unconventional, difficult, or inconvenient to work around, I think that's part of what makes it fun. Nothing quite gets me excited to maximize the potential of something like some balanced limitations. I'd likely never think of some of my base layouts if not for needing to maximize the range of flingomatics or above-average trees. Same goes for a lot of things in this game, you'd be amazed just how useful some seemingly useless things can be when given a chance.
I have fond memories of learning new ways to deal with old problems. Having limitations but multiple ways to work around them that reward individual ingenuity is something I'm always dying for more of in video games.

• Like 4

When playing alone I don’t disable them, but when playing multiplayer I turn them off (alongside the entire summer weather season)

The bottom line is that Unlike Winter, and even Spring, Summer is way way wayyyy too destructive to play with newbies.

Antlion Sinkholes, Fire Hounds, Wildfires, Animals Spontaneously Combusting, Cave Tunnel Collapses.

It gets Worse when you open Rifts.. cause ducking down into caves to escape surface shenanigans get far more deadly in Acid rain.

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

I have tried it a few times, giving in to the idea that I can turn off a feature I don't like and that the game will be better for it... but then a combination of things happen.

Guilt of turning off a "challenge" feature makes me question if I'm really excelling or just playing ez mode.

Its a good time to hit up the caves anyway, clear ruins / AG / AFW.

There are a LOT of ways to deal with it these days to where I rarely have a wildfire catch me.

I could see turning it off once hitting late game where I've already deal with wildfire for a few years, and have built a base beyond a realistic anti-wildfire setup BUT I usually don't play that far anyway.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

When playing alone I don’t disable them, but when playing multiplayer I turn them off (alongside the entire summer weather season)

The bottom line is that Unlike Winter, and even Spring, Summer is way way wayyyy too destructive to play with newbies.

Antlion Sinkholes, Fire Hounds, Wildfires, Animals Spontaneously Combusting, Cave Tunnel Collapses.

It gets Worse when you open Rifts.. cause ducking down into caves to escape surface shenanigans get far more deadly in Acid rain.

Arguably true but that is what makes playing around random players and saving them from fire demise by "pulling strings in the background" satisfying. xd And generally explaining and convincing them how to avoid hazards, lol.

After so many hours in the game I am appreciating wildfire hazards more and more. When they are turned off the summer is really a boring season. When then are switched on it makes me keep moving and running around the map or even go sailing.
Last public game I joined during late spring season I built a Boat with an Endothermic Firepit, Firepit, Crockpot and Lightning Rod without interacting with other players and managed to sail around and basically survive the whole season at sea (with a few minor landfalls) and even found a Walking Cane, Fashion Goggles and Thermal Stone in a Sunken Treasure (niceee). Meanwhile the other players mentioned in the chat that their Crockpots burned down. I don't understand why so many players want to stay in the same spot for almost for the whole duration of their playthroughs, hazards or not.

Spoiler

20240321223153_1.jpg.3cab2bc7e0dfd645848c3a6c99df6d58.jpg20240322010233_1.jpg.bf8a8db597a95940974eb04420dd1a62.jpg

• Like 2

I don't blame people who choose to go without, but I find the multitude of ways you can play around wildfires to be more engaging. Basing in the Oasis, basing in caves, exploring caves, staying away from a non-oasis base in daytime and planning out a schedule so I can do base chores and resupply at  dusk/night. But I do play almost exclusively solo. The point someone made that multiplayer makes wildfires harder to manage makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 3

I dont but i do build a base in the caves so i have something to do in summer when i dont feel like cleaning the ruins+kill fw for the 3746262th time.... we need more cave content...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Arguably true but that is what makes playing around random players and saving them from fire demise by "pulling strings in the background" satisfying. xd And generally explaining and convincing them how to avoid hazards, lol.

After so many hours in the game I am appreciating wildfire hazards more and more. When they are turned off the summer is really a boring season. When then are switched on it makes me keep moving and running around the map or even go sailing.
Last public game I joined during late spring season I built a Boat with an Endothermic Firepit, Firepit, Crockpot and Lightning Rod without interacting with other players and managed to sail around and basically survive the whole season at sea (with a few minor landfalls) and even found a Walking Cane, Fashion Goggles and Thermal Stone in a Sunken Treasure (niceee). Meanwhile the other players mentioned in the chat that their Crockpots burned down. I don't understand why so many players want to stay in the same spot for almost for the whole duration of their playthroughs, hazards or not.

Reveal hidden contents

20240321223153_1.jpg.3cab2bc7e0dfd645848c3a6c99df6d58.jpg20240322010233_1.jpg.bf8a8db597a95940974eb04420dd1a62.jpg

I have only one question, how did you keep your Boat from smoldering & catching fire? I am assuming you used Willows new fire sucking up skills.. but as any other Character attempting to go boating in summer sucks.

• Wavey 1

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah, my friend and I always have them off... as well as anything I can find to make the game easier.

Actually, it's a moot point since we never get to Summer anyways.

I've been trying to convince him for some time to just play the Vanilla experience with minimal changes, but the most he'll agree to so far is Endless mode instead of Relaxed (probably with all the bad stuff turned down (except for Spiders. I will turn them down, but he would much rather I left them at default or higher, for some reason. I turn them down because he's a noob).).

It's a matter of process. It takes time to accustom yourself to the idea of something burning off-screen. 

Just leave it on, play accordingly to the feature and see if it really messes you up mentally. Then just decide if you want it back or deal with it.

This also works for mods, just turn all off and then come back to turn on only the ones that you feel are game changing.

I don't turn them off, I just either base in the oasis or go to the caves every summer until I can get my hands on a ice crystaleyezer.

• Like 2

As other’s have mentioned, it really depends on what base you are going for. If you are sticking with a ~1 biome base, then it’s not too bad to deal with them with the current methods. It’s when you start expanding past that where it can start to become a serious issue.

My biggest gripe with them is the “best” way to cull wildfires globally relies on using a character specific book to do so, or an absurd amount of telelocator staffs. When you have builds spanning across the map, you usually can’t afford to settle for anything less than globally without lots of maintenance/working around builds because of the mechanic, which is when it becomes problematic in my opinion. I wish we got a universal character specific option to cast rain down, even if it was more expensive. Regardless, I don’t really have many gripes because you can just Casually turn them off when you do reach that point where it becomes more of a limitation of what you want to do with builds then an interesting challenge to work around.

37 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I don't, but if a fire starts in my base right outside of my screen view, i won't feel bad doing a rollback

Unless PC version has a different type of save system, Rollbacks will set you back by an entire Days worth of gameplay progress. So if you DO decide to Rollback, you will lose whatever progress you’ve made for an entire Day.

I feel like that alone, is punishment enough to Validate “Rollback”

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have only one question, how did you keep your Boat from smoldering & catching fire? I am assuming you used Willows new fire sucking up skills.. but as any other Character attempting to go boating in summer sucks.

It smolders from time to time. I simply extinguish it. Willow does so without any repercussions and fast on top of that. If the boat starts burning Willow's Lighter can snuff it out almost immediately. It used to be risky albeit usually not problematic (until the boat actually started burning). With the addition of skills and the ability to use lighter to put out fires it has become trivial and even a burning boat can be salvaged on the fly.

Other characters don't have this luxury. xd Although the fire mechanics in the game has been tweaked over time. Long ago any object catching on fire onboard was a complete disaster. Now it happens that a single objects burns and turns into ashes without igniting everything else, although it is still best to avoid cluttering the deck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

24 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Other characters don't have this luxury. xd Although the fire mechanics in the game has been tweaked over time. Long ago any object catching on fire onboard was a complete disaster. Now it happens that a single objects burns and turns into ashes without igniting everything else, although it is still best to avoid cluttering the deck.

The Luxury Fan extinguishes all fires/smoldering within it's range as well! I don't go sailing in summer without one, or at least an ice staff.

• Like 3

`Do you turn off wildfires?` 

It depends. I have it off in my 12000 day world. I have it on in my 1500 day. 

Regardless of either, if a fire comes sweeping in, you best believe I am SMASHING the hell out of that rollback button. Unless I get in with a watering can. Which I carry on me all the time.

4 hours ago, Uedo said:

The fact you're asking kinda highlights that you're looking for validation. I validate you. Turn it off and actually have fun :D

No that's not it. I just have reasons for both turning them off and keeping them, and I was curious what other people do.