Year of the who again ?

I think we're all on the same consensus if I say that this isn't really what anybody would have hoped or pictured from a "Year of the Dragonfly".

While I'm kind of a sucker for ocean content, this came in short supply. Not that we should be expecting a lot from these themed year events but damn... this is essentially a smaller boat and excessively cheap seafaring kits. There's nothing Dragonfly about that but some esthetic bits. This is a first in the history of these events that were getting for the most better and better. :(

Actually, I'm not exactly bothered by the features of it. I like the buoys, having a smaller boat has its perks, and I can't say I care about the recipes costs as they're for a seasonal event that is totally up to someone's mood to participate with, it's the spirit !

Just... yeah where is the Dragonfly into all that ? Even before noticing that there is a shadow Prime Mate participating in the minigame I thought : wait isn't there a Monkey year in the Chinese calendar ? Doing a boating event with the actual monkey pirates, decorations all over the Moon Quay... this would have been sooo much on point ! Nah instead let's waste that token on the Dragonfly without even inviting this boss to the party.

I don't wanna make a big deal out of all that but I'm profoundly confused about the direction taken for something that had such a wide spectrum of possibilities now made irrecoverable (again for an event, no problem if a boss is affected momentarily, that's what made Winter's Feast so cool).

• Like 44
  • Spool 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 3

The thing i liked the most of the year of events was the mini touchups to the featured mobs that sometimes came. (E.g catcoons and beefalo). Year of bunnymen did let us spin a carrot at least which is funny.

It would be neat if dragonfly got a new pernament attack or something to spice her up.

• Like 11
  • Big Ups 2

The Year of No-Dragonfly. Maybe it could make sense if Dragonfly wasn't a pun on dragonfly, which is a bug that flies over water to hunt other insects... I think boat racing could be used for any other event, maybe like in Midsummer Cawnival? It feels summer-like to chill or race on boat.

• Like 12

I hope at least due to this update being so lackluster in comparison to the other Chinese New Year events and pretty low effort that it will contribute in some degree to them releasing higher-quality good content in the game this year...

Edited by . . .
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 5

I think something as simple to add as another enraged dragonfly going after you during summer, and dropping triple green and yellow gems and gold if you kill it, or some fortune event if you appease it (EG: rain during 10 days) would work.

The new boats are cool though

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 5
  • Sanity 1

19 minutes ago, . . . said:

I hope at least due to this update being so lackluster in comparison to the other Chinese New Year events and pretty low effort that it will contribute in some degree to them releasing higher-quality good content in the game this year...

That.. reminds me, the roadmap says we have a total of 4 big updates to look forward to this year.

And I just want to know if this Boat Racing thing counts as one of those 4 updates?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think something as simple to add as another enraged dragonfly going after you during summer, and dropping triple green and yellow gems and gold if you kill it, or some fortune event if you appease it (EG: rain during 10 days) would work.

The new boats are cool though

That would have been such a nice return of that summer threat haha.

More random too late ideas:

Could have got an offering to leave to the Dragonfly that would make her want to play a game around the whole arena, rules and gameplay could be involving the lava ponds, lavaes, tumbleweeds… the desert has tons of cards in the bowl to pick from and make nifty activities. Based on the score she awards you the coins, and hey, she even trust you to stay around for a bit…

Or something Year-of-the-Varg-ish where we had different hunts when a torch was in the shrine: Her combat is made different with different attacks, patterns or minions, during which you get the coins. Definitely could use a fancy new lunar year look !

Last but not least, my friend Notka was thinking about a way to evolve your Broodling critter in this event, and grow it into some bigger follower with perks ! Would have surely meant to allow to tame multiple critters cause I wouldn’t abandon my current ones just for that tho :p

• Like 5

I'm trying to not be super pessimistic but man, there is literally no Dfly content... it's upsetting.

The previous events all changed their respective mobs in some way, Hell, year of the Beefalo changed peoples playstyles entirely! It was super impactful!! 
I'm super bummed out that the boats don't have a lot to do with the Dragonfly, and that Dfly got nothing unique or new at all.

• Like 15
  • Sad Dupe 2

6 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I'm trying to not be super pessimistic but man, there is literally no Dfly content... it's upsetting.

The previous events all changed their respective mobs in some way, Hell, year of the Beefalo changed peoples playstyles entirely! It was super impactful!! 
I'm super bummed out that the boats don't have a lot to do with the Dragonfly, and that Dfly got nothing unique or new at all.

I’m going to remain positive on this one, the update is delayed until probably Monday or later for console players.. I'm not understanding why though if it’s just some boat racing stuff. Maybe the new skins? Idk..

But what I would at least like to think is going on here is that since the event released early for PC players, that they have more stuff that’ll probably be patched in when the console version of the update drops.

(small stuff, like tweaks to Dragonfly, or maybe even giving people the option to buy or weave or even just get as a limited time log in bonus: The Bearded Dragon GlomGlom skin.)

Anything like that though: I’d think they’d want to save till both Pc & console can experience it.

Then again, perhaps I’m just wishful thinking.

I feel like - I like the boat race.  I like DST boating and really feel like there just aren't good reasons to boat / the risks are too great.  This adds to the "something to do" list.  imo it fits well with things like bunny pillow fights, pig wrestling, or rat racing.  Its a fun little thing to do with friends, even friends who aren't super great at DST.

I don't get how this ties to Dragonfly at all though...  The colors for the boats are just generic Chinese New Year colors, nothing really feels dragon fly about it.  I wasn't actually expecting much to happen with the boss - secretly I hoped nothing would happen to it b/c its one of the better old bosses - but I would think it would at least have a better tie in...

1 hour ago, . . . said:

Sadly this is 2 now.  Willow + Wig update was practically a bust.  We got the skill trees, but they were rushed, over-nerfed, and still feel buggy to use.  They didn't get new skins or a trailer to go with them.  Then Year of the Boat...

idk, is Klei even doing anything right now?  Maybe they're working on planar v2.0 already where we get a new thing that floods our base every 4 days and requires a QTE mini game to fend off, and new survival threats like global constant damage that is joyfully mitigated by wearing a full body covered sprite and all character traits are negated while wearing it.  Also new bosses that instant kill you if you're not wearing the new gear.  Plus a collab with Dark Souls.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

im still VERY dissapointed about it....year of the DRAGON like...HELLO?!? my profile picture cecks out, and then it to be nothing about dragon alikes but just boats....like...that REALY is not realy cool at all, and just like the willow and wigfrid update with a movie that has NOTHING to do about these 2 and feels very much like a halloween kinda thing....like what? something weird must of happend or why else does it feel...like kind of rushed even?

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

I'm glad Klei didn't put much effort into this one time, non-recurring event, assuming that means they're putting more effort into the actual content updates. I honestly couldn't care less about the seasonal events, especially the "year of x" events.

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1

5 hours ago, -Nick- said:

At the very least Dragonfly couldve been the one racing you in the boat race.

If the Dragonfly was chasing me across the ocean, I'D feel like "racing", too! :P

But no, seriously, can't it at least have something to do with things directly associated with Ms. Fly? When I think "Dragonfly from Don't Starve", I don't think ocean. I think quite the OPPOSITE, in fact--desert! Desert, heat, fire, summer...something flamey-themed would've worked for dragons in general. Not actual flames, because those don't stay put and tend to destroy everything in range, but I dunno...if you must have boats, maybe flames you can paint on the boat like on a hot-rod car? (Well, maybe not a cookie boat, they're too flat. It would work on the Shipwrecked ones, though. Flame-pattern SAIL, then.)

You can't even race so fast, it leaves behind flame trails to show how fast you're going, because WATER! I...I...what is even...

Well, party in the desert at my place--as soon as I _find_ the desert. It's a fairly new world and I haven't explored it much yet. We can celebrate by eating cactus and trying not to get munched by dogs. :P

...Notorious

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

If the Dragonfly was chasing me across the ocean, I'D feel like "racing", too! :P

But no, seriously, can't it at least have something to do with things directly associated with Ms. Fly? When I think "Dragonfly from Don't Starve", I don't think ocean. I think quite the OPPOSITE, in fact--desert! Desert, heat, fire, summer...something flamey-themed would've worked for dragons in general. Not actual flames, because those don't stay put and tend to destroy everything in range, but I dunno...if you must have boats, maybe flames you can paint on the boat like on a hot-rod car? (Well, maybe not a cookie boat, they're too flat. It would work on the Shipwrecked ones, though. Flame-pattern SAIL, then.)

You can't even race so fast, it leaves behind flame trails to show how fast you're going, because WATER! I...I...what is even...

Well, party in the desert at my place--as soon as I _find_ the desert. It's a fairly new world and I haven't explored it much yet. We can celebrate by eating cactus and trying not to get munched by dogs. :P

...Notorious

I actually like idea of chase with DF, but DF also uses boat, like sit on tiny boat and uses it's huge arms to swim.

Lol. XD Nah, she can fly. DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Like, dude, if you had to turn the Year of the Dragon into the Year of the Boat, then...how about a SEA dragon?! Sea serpent! Sea monster! Big scaly long thing with coils that pop ominously out of the water if you get too close--but if you're carrying the right thing, it's actually friendly and gives you Lunar New Year loot? I dunno, I'm spitballing he-

Wait.

WAIT.

Dragon.
Dragons love gold.
Each Lunar New Year in the game always has those "Lucky Gold Coins".

DUDE THE DRAGON CAN BE SLEEPING ON A PILE OF THEM LIKE THEIR HOARD LET'S GOOOO.

Sea dragon, on an island, sleeping on a pile of lucky coins. BAM! I just made it way more Dragony, and also kept the boat thing. You're welcome. :)

...Notorious

• Like 4

Even if it's giving the dragonfly a new skin, I can highly praise it. But these things have nothing to do with dragonflies. Even if it is called the year of saladmander, or even the year of dragon fruit, there is no sense of discord.

• Like 5

Yeah the gameplay aspect is seriously lacking here. The main menu music and art is cool, but reskinning things we already have and adjusting a couple numbers is pretty lazy design-wise. I suppose they are taking a break for the new years and focusing on the larger update? 

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That.. reminds me, the roadmap says we have a total of 4 big updates to look forward to this year.

And I just want to know if this Boat Racing thing counts as one of those 4 updates?

This counts as last years roadmap.

• Like 1