Year of the who again ?

Aww. And all it took to bring us all together...

...was to really freaking CONFUSE us.

(Freeze frame, laugh track, overly cheerful music as the credits roll)

...Notorious

(but seriously what does boating have to do with dragons and/or dragonflies)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(but seriously what does boating have to do with dragons and/or dragonflies)

Seemingly this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Boat_Festival

Problem is, that's not the same festival. Plus for what DST is concerned we're initially on a series of events that always affected their mobs, to a generous degree at times. Yikes !

Edited by ADM
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ADM said:

Plus for what DST is concerned we're initially on a series of events that always affected their mobs, to a generous degree at times. Yikes !

Always? Did the Year of Bunnymen event affect any of the mobs at all except just adding a stupid minigame that comes with "pre summoned" reskinned bunnymen to play with?

The lame boat race event that adds no changes to the mobs or enviroment and just has a Shadow npc spawning when event is initiated to play with you. Seems in the same ballpark.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, -Variant said:

I'm trying to not be super pessimistic but man, there is literally no Dfly content... it's upsetting.

The previous events all changed their respective mobs in some way, Hell, year of the Beefalo changed peoples playstyles entirely! It was super impactful!! 
I'm super bummed out that the boats don't have a lot to do with the Dragonfly, and that Dfly got nothing unique or new at all.

Something cool they could have also added was a dragonfly scale boat upgrade (applied to existing boats) which made your boat fireproof, and slowed the spreading of everything on the boat.

3 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Always? Did the Year of Bunnymen event affect any of the mobs at all except just adding a stupid minigame that comes with "pre summoned" reskinned bunnymen to play with?

The lame boat race event that adds no changes to the mobs or enviroment and just has a Shadow npc spawning when event is initiated to play with you. Seems in the same ballpark.

Year of the bunnymen was a cool event. I enjoyed the minigame so it was a really cool event. The pillows are fun to troll other players.

The ability to spin carrots now is funny though.

• Like 3

see u in 2036 for another chance of dragonfly year. hope this time we wont get any boating with monkey but a real event with dragonfly herself:eagerness:

btw this event might be really fitting for year of monkey. while we got monkey pirate that literally spawned and race boat with us. sadly KLei did a terrible decision. what a waste of opportunity. 

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

ok well i didnt expect it to be this that would have me dragged back out of the woodworks to post a comment on this forum, but i just need to say two things.

1: the only lunar new year events so far that have touched up something that already existed were year of the pig king, which added the wrestling minigame, year of the beefalo, which did a whole slew of things to make beefalo riding enjoyable, and lastly year of the catcoon, which made it so items catcoons picked up get placed in their respective stump.
That's three out of seven lunar new year events where something was actually touched, with the most substantial one probably being year of the beefalo in terms of changes. As much as I'd love to have seen touch ups for dragonfly, I never really hold my breath for it because whether or not something that already exists gets changed is never set in stone and I don't think that just because there aren't any dragonfly changes in this update, that it would entirely rule out the possibility of changes coming at all. Not to mention that even if we did get any changes regarding dragonfly, who's to say it would have been anything substantial? Making changes to bosses is a fickle endeavor because if you entirely overhaul the boss in question, you could run into the issue of people potentially not liking what's being done, whilst making small changes can feel underwhelming. No changes at all can also be disappointing, but at least speaking for me personally, I vastly prefer seeing an event update which adds something new and cool and is actually able to flesh things out fine enough, over an event update that is basically a boss rework and an at best semi fleshed out minigame. Nobody had any qualms over the year of the bunny update not touching too much upon bunnymen, or the year of the carrat update not touching much about carrats, and while I get that dragonfly is a boss and thus feels a bit more special, that doesn't immediately mean we should have expected tweaks for dragonfly when most of the lunar new year events left base game content mostly untouched. At the end of the day this is just an event update, if anything the bigger updates planned for this year should be the place where we should expect changes, tweaks or reworks of things, not the small for fun minigame update. And don't get me wrong, I love seeing tweaks to things as much as the next person, if this update did have tweaks that would have been great! But just because it didn't have them doesn't mean that we should make a fuss about it, especially when arguably only 2 of the lunar new year events so far even had any substantial changes that made it to the basegame in the first place.

2: as for the second point i see people complain about, namely the boating having nothing to do with dragonfly, i'd like to point out a few things. While the boating itself isn't involving dragonfly herself in any way, so many people are so quick to say that this has literally nothing to do with dragons as a whole, when this couldnt really be more incorrect. The lunar new year events in dst are basically stand ins for chinese new year, or also commonly referred to as spring festival, and while like @ADM pointed out this festival and the dragon boat festival are two distinct holidays, I think it's still a neat idea to reference it within this event, given the theme of dragons. Which, speaking of dragons, makes even more sense if you consider that in chinese culture, dragons are usually NOT attributed to being related to flames or heat, but are rather mystical water creatures inhabiting large bodies of water. Obviously dragonfly isn't a classic depiction of a dragon from chinese folklore, and nor is she water related, rather going for the european/american angle of a fire spewing dragon, even down to hoarding gold and gems which we get when killing her. HOWEVER, despite that I actually think going for the (at least within the western parts of the world) less common association between dragons and water is not only interesting to subvert expectations, but absolutely fitting for this type of event and a really cool idea which (evidently) none of us really expected.
Plus, as much as I think it'd have been neat if the event involved dragonfly herself, I do have to wonder what could have realistically been done with a boss for this type of event. Much less a raidboss. Making it tied to dragonfly herself isn't a good option, since bosses as a whole are not the most ideal candidates for a friendly little minigame event that will likely draw in a lot of newer players or ones that havent played the game in a while. Even if it'd have been funny to see dragonfly stop fighting you and instead beginning a parade or something, it probably would still lead to a lot of issues in terms of destructiveness and player deaths.
The closest stand in would have been a lavae, and even those seem a bit too volatile to really do much with, without just essentially giving up and making a second version of that specific mob that behaves differently, JUST for an event. Even broodlings would have been awkward to do things with because in order to even obtain one, you'd have to kill either dragonfly or klaus and just hope you get lucky and get an egg, and then hatch it, just to freeze and kill your extra adorable lavae for the drop. I genuinely think the angle that the developers chose to go with is probably the overall best approach for an event update like this.

• Like 5
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Nettalie said:

Snippy

For the most I want to agree ! Only I do have a difficulty to get over the fact that an event like this was distributed to make the world shrug over it when it could have something memorable, I see you reckon with that too, naturally.

I won't be elaborating on what I wished for exactly... but myself I left earlier some food for thought of what it could have been, roughly, and I happened to read some other players ideas too. From this I do believe players weren't hoping for something to last outside of this event, but definitively wanted to have a good time with Ms. Dragonfly while it is here.

Undoubtedly Year of the Beefalo will keep the cake in terms of what it forever added to the game, but even without that we are many to have enjoyed to play and re-enable the Year of the Varg just to get these cool canids in our world, or the Carrat year to craft little friends and give them fabulous tails.

This time ? Yeah we get to make fancy boats and you bet I will remake them at some occasions. But this should have been either some base lunar new year content (like the different Lucky Beast parts yknow) or do something different altogether. I didn't really want a Year of the Saladmander but I would have preferred it if it meant the mob remains the focus. I do really like your observations related to dragons and the elements but I don't think this can be of concern when we take a look at what creatures of Don't Starve were the past years candidates, still that could have been a great source of inspiration for a water themed combat against Dragonfly, heh !
But oh well, what's done is done. :) No harm in that, just, confusion.

• Like 6

You guys do know you can “Deconstruct” the Pillows from the Year of Bunnyman update to get their resources right? Since these updates can be turned back on at any time you feel like playing them again- Their now Permanent Gameplay Features.

Same with this Year of Dragonfly stuff, anytime you want Dragonfly boat stuffs- Turn the event on, build the Shrine & boom there it is.

That said… Im still disappointed that bouys are used in a racing mini game instead of just being natural spawning items in the ocean leading towards certain areas out at sea..

In my head I picture a few bouy’s stuffed with Bananas players can follow to more easily locate Moon Quay & perhaps in between finding these Bouys banana peels can appear floating in the water similar to kelp.

I heavily feel like Klei’s Development team are just so exhausted on doing free content updates to DST, that they’ve lost a lot of motivation to be truly creative.

And in my opinion that’s the wrong kind of outlook to have an game development, because If Klei was to EVER make a Dont Starve Together 2 (or whatever) it’s these kind of new ideas that they’d hopefully want to bring to the table.

• Like 1

This, like the skilltrees, screams lazy to me. So many opportunities, all of them wasted. I don't disagree with the fundamental idea of the event, boat racing could be fun, but it's not even dragonfly that races you. Probably because Klei is too lazy to make new animations? I can't think of any other possible reason why. Again feels like Klei is rushing an update. Doesn't bode well for the 2024 roadmap...

• Like 3
  • Wavey 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

SPOILER_image.png?ex=65d826bb&is=65c5b1b
Ugliest of my sketches but I imagined the DF could that way join us

Now i wanna see Dragonfly using the boat as a surfboard and riding the waves

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, ALCRD said:

wym

Year of the Bunnymen added the best mechanic of all

carrot speeeen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

For me, the Year of the (Blank) things don't have to be monumental, or make real, permanent changes to the game's content and/or mechanics....but it should have SOMETHING. ANYTHING. to do with the animal it's purportedly named after. Even in cases like the Year of the Rat, where they had to scramble and put a rat-like creature into the game shortly before it to even have a rat available, at least it still had something to DO with those carrats.

I don't need fancy. I just want the creature the year is named after, to be actually involved somehow--and not just namechecked in the background. This feels like one of those "In Name Only" things, like, when someone makes a COMPLETELY unrelated movie, but gives it the name of a popular franchise, to get butts into the seats that would not have otherwise been there? (Example: The "Final Fantasy" movie.) This event feels like:

"Well, we had this boat race idea lying around...OH SH*T. It's almost Lunar New Year. Um, uh...put that boat race content out now, as the Year of the Dragon content, and say it's good enough?"

They have so little to do with each other, it really does feel like they just took any old stuff they had in the pipe that hadn't been put in the game yet, and used that.

ANY connection to the actual Dragonfly, even something as flimsy as a freaking Dragon picture on a new sail skin for the boats, would make me change my mind. But as it is...

Spoiler

Edit: And yes, I am now aware of the concept of the Dragon Boat races.
But the DST boats don't look anything at all like dragons.
No, a scaley pattern on a sail isn't good enough. Actual Dragon Boats _are SHAPED like dragons_. Well, the front part anyway.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, ThymeSpirit said:

They should have called it Year of the Saladmander (they are dragonfruit creatures, so it fits) and make it about players training pet saladmanders to fight against each other pokemon style.

I want that!

Or the dragonfly spawns Broodlings in summer that travel peacfully in the desert biom, they burn tumbleweeds to eat the ash.

If you feed these guys ash you can befriend them (1000 health/ 40 damage) to **** up other creatures.

The are also a bit bigger then the critter variant.

6bmy3Qh.gif.6e816fd06651ec0cdc216fe964343cd1.gif

Edited by Wander89
  • Like 1

An item that helps fight Dragonfly larvae would be cool as a reward in exchange for lucky gold nuggets, as well as encouraging fighting without walls. I like to imagine that it could be a mini "ice staff", similar to Wickerbottom's pen, but the opposite.

Edited by Castiliano
  • Like 5
  • Sanity 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Notecja said:

SPOILER_image.png?ex=65d826bb&is=65c5b1b
Ugliest of my sketches but I imagined the DF could that way join us

I think i could imagine this Event  "boat racing" with and actual dragonfly above us trying to make waves or any ways to makes to boat racing more entertaining (with Klei animation potential it could look so good), also i could imagine lavae droping 1 lucky nugget from Dragonfly fight or a chance to get "lavae blueprint for a structure" 

Anyways we could also have Year of Saladmander (dragon fruit) with just farming related i think

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, Nettalie said:

ok well i didnt expect it to be this that would have me dragged back out of the woodworks to post a comment on this forum, but i just need to say two things.

1: the only lunar new year events so far that have touched up something that already existed were year of the pig king, which added the wrestling minigame, year of the beefalo, which did a whole slew of things to make beefalo riding enjoyable, and lastly year of the catcoon, which made it so items catcoons picked up get placed in their respective stump.

Carrat also added new ways to obtain carrats, as well as cosmetic changes to carrots based on the seeds you feed them. Even the gobbler one, as forgettable as it was, did have a game-changing mechanic: Making gobblers neutral and stop eating your berry bushes.

Plus, as much as I think it'd have been neat if the event involved dragonfly herself, I do have to wonder what could have realistically been done with a boss for this type of event. Much less a raidboss. Making it tied to dragonfly herself isn't a good option, since bosses as a whole are not the most ideal candidates for a friendly little minigame event that will likely draw in a lot of newer players or ones that havent played the game in a while. Even if it'd have been funny to see dragonfly stop fighting you and instead beginning a parade or something, it probably would still lead to a lot of issues in terms of destructiveness and player deaths.

This is a bit of a reach. It's so rare to even see lunar new years content in pub servers, since it's mostly a waste of time. I highly doubt anyone who's not familiar with dfly already would get their first experience in a random pub server lunar event.

I do agree overall that dfly as a boss fight should not be changed, unless it's in a way that extends beyond the lunar event itself, but a way that makes her neutral for a specific event, which can be controlled, would work. You can even overcome the potential issue of deceiving new players by making one of her drops be the item you need to trigger her "fun" event, just like how you use the pig belts with pig king.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 6:49 PM, cybers2001 said:

Carrat also added new ways to obtain carrats, as well as cosmetic changes to carrots based on the seeds you feed them. Even the gobbler one, as forgettable as it was, did have a game-changing mechanic: Making gobblers neutral and stop eating your berry bushes.

Those two things are true, but to my knowledge stayed within their respective event updates. You can't actually get carrats from beefalos or give them a color unless you specifically enable year of the carrat in your world, and gobblers likewise stay the same they always have outside of their event. My point was less about how there was literally nothing that was done in prior years, but rather about how a lot of past lunar new year events had not added anything permanent to the base game itself. Probably could have worded it better, but that was what I meant.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:49 PM, cybers2001 said:

This is a bit of a reach. It's so rare to even see lunar new years content in pub servers, since it's mostly a waste of time. I highly doubt anyone who's not familiar with dfly already would get their first experience in a random pub server lunar event.

I do agree overall that dfly as a boss fight should not be changed, unless it's in a way that extends beyond the lunar event itself, but a way that makes her neutral for a specific event, which can be controlled, would work. You can even overcome the potential issue of deceiving new players by making one of her drops be the item you need to trigger her "fun" event, just like how you use the pig belts with pig king.

I could certainly see it happen. You might not see the event content all the time in pubs, but if she was involved in the event itself the odds would certainly not be negligible in my opinion. But being concerned about new players was only part of why I don't think getting dragonfly directly involved would have worked.

These event updates are, at least to my understanding, primarily meant as small updates for fun, and thus every event's content is just available to players from the start of any world if the event is active. If you look at the past lunar new years, you see how a lot of them are made as accessible as possible, with beefalos being given a bell to immediately befriend them for the contests, carrats spawning on the main island and the year of the bunnyman skipping out on involving bunnymen themselves and instead electing to spawn a separate version, so players don't even need to have caves enabled, much less venture down there to find them.
With most things involving dragonfly, not only is there the issue of dealing with an entire raidboss in one way or another, but there would also be possible weirdness with player coordination. It'd be really annoying if the fun minigame was gated behind a whole boss, or similarly if someone had killed the boss that was required for it, forcing everyone who wants to do it to wait for over 2 hours of real time just to get a chance at starting a minigame. And going the year of the rabbit route would also be weird because while a mob such as a bunnyman isn't too "important", dragonfly is a bigger deal and just unceremoniously plopping down a second dragonfly that's friendly or adding a summer dragonfly would feel out of place in my opinion. Plus with the summer one specifically we have the issue of wait time again since pubs tend to start in autumn and not really last much past the first few days of winter.
No matter how I look at things, getting dragonfly directly involved in any sort of way would bring a ton of issues with it that probably just wouldn't have been worth the trouble, and would feel very weird in the context of the rest of the game and events. 

• Potato Cup 1