Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

4 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

till now they still care and support the game

tbfh they care what the community was saying about klei leaving a game filled with bugs which isnt good publicity. I actually waited to buy griftlands because of that and when i bought it i first read the comments to see, among with being good, if have bugs or not

A lot of people say "interesting is more important than balance" and that's true, interesting indeed more important.

But I suspect most of them just equate interesting with as powerful as possible, equate balance with nerf.

No one would ever say such a thing to ask for nerf or don't buff something.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 1:57 AM, Juanasdf said:

Literally no one questioned this, but I'm actually curious

What things are unnecessarily complex? It's just such a vague "hot take" that I could agree or disagree completely lol

I had a late "mod approval" to my posts after I registered here, that'  why people didn't question me. My posts showed up when new pages were up.

I'll explain my hot take later. Unfortunately I can't do it right now because I'm on smartphone

You are better off not using chests and storing the majority of your items on the ground for the following reasons:

1) The ground is free. If you want to protect from lure plants, you can use lureplantproof turfs you can just dig up.

2) You don't have to fiddle with opening and closing a bunch of chests to look for the item you need or find the chest to put the item you are storing.

3) You can pick up and drop items while riding a beefalo. You cannot access chests from a beefalo.

38 minutes ago, GimplyGoose said:

You are better off not using chests and storing the majority of your items on the ground for the following reasons:

1) The ground is free. If you want to protect from lure plants, you can use lureplantproof turfs you can just dig up.

2) You don't have to fiddle with opening and closing a bunch of chests to look for the item you need or find the chest to put the item you are storing.

3) You can pick up and drop items while riding a beefalo. You cannot access chests from a beefalo.

Yes but so many things on the ground make me confused .

I do think that the black feather pen should be easier to use.

Edited by Dandefender

1 hour ago, GimplyGoose said:

Chests also actually don't really reduce lag. It looks tidy but in reality it gives the same amount of lags as just letting them on the ground.

Arguably more laggy since now the game has to render chests as well.

2 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Chests also actually don't really reduce lag. It looks tidy but in reality it gives the same amount of lags as just letting them on the ground.

Arguably more laggy since now the game has to render chests as well.

Ah, but you see, pretty chest skins go brrr, so your point is invalid.
(This is a joke. Chest do cause lag, but we don't really have a better way to store things neatly. It's sad, really.)

25 minutes ago, Pomato said:

Would only get you 6-7 green gems with the cost of every other gem you could find. Which is a shame because the other gems are important too

in long term worlds is way better to get few unbalanced green gems than letting rot 5848281 red, yellow, blue, purple and yellow gems

thanks to that perk i used many bundles of trash to get a stack of green gems

hot take: while i love green gems i also think klei should never have added them. Is hard to balance the cost of items when literally "more cost = less cost" 

New bosses are getting increasingly detached from the base survival experiences, 9 times out of 10 they have absolutely nothing to do with time passing or giving a constant threat of when they arrive; the only recent deviation from this I can think of is the corpse bosses. Which I do appreciate, but they're just additions to the bosses already there

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

New bosses are getting increasingly detached from the base survival experiences, 9 times out of 10 they have absolutely nothing to do with time passing or giving a constant threat of when they arrive; the only recent deviation from this I can think of is the corpse bosses. Which I do appreciate, but they're just additions to the bosses already there

we need new cave bosses atacking us plus weather/shadow cycle shenanigans outside of what the shadow rift is gonna add

• Like 2

I have been playing this game for over half a decade now so I have zero struggles with survival now. Because of this, I dont really mind fun, flashy toys that kinda take away from the survival aspect of the game (ex: Willow skilltree).

This sounds extremely weird considering im the founder of Uncompromising Mode, but people change I suppose. Current lead Dev @Scrimbles still(?) subscribes to a "DST is meant to be hard" mindset and while I agree to an extent, I've accepted the fact that there's not much you can throw at someone like me to make the game difficult AND fun without drastic changes to the game's core fundamentals - something that Klei isn't willing to change unfortunately.

This difference in ideology is why I retired from DST modding, sure I have the possibility to change the game how I see fit, but I feel like the game I want to play is different than what the base (DST) can supply no matter how many bells and whistles you add to or subtract from it.

Edit: Sure it makes sense to just go and find a different game, but there isnt any other game with a charm like Dont Starve. Even if the philosophies of the game has changed since the day I bought it, as long as I can enjoy it for even just a week after an update or something before slithering back to other games until the next one, I'm still getting my money's worth. Is this the outcome I wanted? Of course not, but I'm trying to stay optimistic while knowing quite literally everything there is to know about a game with its roots based on "difficulty = lack of knowledge".

Edited by Canis
Whoops, didn't do my research and saw that Scrimbles left the forums permanently. Guess I'll add my two cents on the topic.
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Canis said:

I have been playing this game for over half a decade now so I have zero struggles with survival now. Because of this, I dont really mind fun, flashy toys that kinda take away from the survival aspect of the game (ex: Willow skilltree).

This sounds extremely weird considering im the founder of Uncompromising Mode, but people change I suppose. Current lead Dev @Scrimbles still(?) subscribes to a "DST is meant to be hard" mindset and while I agree to an extent, I've accepted the fact that there's not much you can throw at someone like me to make the game difficult AND fun without drastic changes to the game's core fundamentals - something that Klei isn't willing to change unfortunately.

This difference in ideology is why I retired from DST modding, sure I have the possibility to change the game how I see fit, but I feel like the game I want to play is different than what the base (DST) can supply no matter how many bells and whistles you add to or subtract from it.

Edit: Sure it makes sense to just go and find a different game, but there isnt any other game with a charm like Dont Starve. Even if the philosophies of the game has changed since the day I bought it, as long as I can enjoy it for even just a week after an update or something before slithering back to other games until the next one, I'm still getting my money's worth. Is this the outcome I wanted? Of course not, but I'm trying to stay optimistic while knowing quite literally everything there is to know about a game with its roots based on "difficulty = lack of knowledge".

tbh, most of the buffs are combat buffs and that is easier to raise in difficulty

survival mechanic in the other hand, is hard. Making something not annoying that stays difficult is complicated 

1 hour ago, GhostyToasty said:

I don't think Maxwell should be as good as he is. 

Sure, he's the ex-king of the Constant and stuff, but you'd think that after thousands of years of being stuck on a chair, staring into the darkness, he'd have trouble even surviving in the first place

Theeeere you go

On 10/29/2023 at 8:36 PM, Sacco said:

Maxwell should have a 1% chance of breaking his spine when picking things

It mustn’t be healthy for anyone to be stuck sitting in one place for that long, no one can deny that

• Like 1

This may be hot or cold, I can't say for certain, but Wes isn't well designed at all and I hope he's given at least something when his inevitable skill tree arrives. A challenge character is good to have, and I actually like that Wes is one, but challenge for the sake of challenge with few, if any redeeming qualities is just horrid. He reminds me more of the unfair challenge characters you find in mods, not something that should be in the base game.

I hope his tree makes him more into a support character that has actual good aspects to what he offers, outside of some very minor balloons.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Raven Idol said:

I hope his tree makes him more into a support character that has actual good aspects to what he offers, outside of some very minor balloons.

But the whole point of Wes is that he has nothing going for him. That's why he's the only character who's odds of survival are "None" 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GhostyToasty said:

But the whole point of Wes is that he has nothing going for him. That's why he's the only character who's odds of survival are "None" 

That's kinda what I was trying to get at, he doesn't just have nothing going for him, he's an active detriment to himself for minor (albeit free) team buffs, and I just think that's an utter waste of the character. I'm not saying he should get giga-buffed, just some more benefits he can offer to himself and the team so he's just a bit better and more interesting to play. More varied and useful balloons, more ways to make his notorious bad luck work in his teammate's favour, basically crank what little he already offers up a few notches and he would be a much more solid pick while still being a challenging character. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raven Idol said:

just some more benefits he can offer to himself and the team so he's just a bit better and more interesting to play. More varied and useful balloons, more ways to make his notorious bad luck work in his teammate's favour, basically crank what little he already offers up a few notches and he would be a much more solid pick while still being a challenging character. 

Yeah, that's a good idea.