Are you for or against adding Gorge content into dst?

RECYCLING GORGE  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Gorge assets to be introduced in the game on a separate island?

• YES!
    • no.

I was going to frame a poll to totally serve my agenda, but I'm interested in knowing why people literally wouldn't want recycled Gorge assets into the game. It adds to the experience without really taking away anything assuming Gorge content were put on an island away from the mainland.

For a precedent to advocate for Gorge content and not interacting with it if you don't like it, enter moon quay. Literally, in many cases, you'll see worlds that spend seasons on end existing and haven't bothered with even trying to interact with that part of the game. 
If you don't like Gorge, don't sail to it. 

The beauty of Gorge content being added into the game is that the art, animations, assets, etc, they're all in the game. The developers shouldn't really need to start from scratch and it just adds so much life.

As for the structures for cooking, a lot of them don't need to be crockpot 2.0
You can have ovens that serve to cook a lot of meat at once, cookpots can process bone and vegetables into stock to be used for normal crockpot cooking and also, come on, all the structures are beautiful and lying in waste. Klei at this point developed them for NOTHING. NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. The art, assets and animations exist to rot in obscurity. 

DST GORGE ESCAPED! New recipes, achievements, chests and more! - YouTube

image.jpeg.4f2c477a51b9f10351ac3f822314e63e.jpegimage.png.2c442d9523c3d0d722ed1be6bd5e3462.pngimage.png.593940e21e5efb7f22a0df29f75c4938.png

image.png.2c9a2f278a88a6933e1bd4b4a03f9f59.pngSugarwood_Memorial_Park.thumb.png.f4b5e946fca3b31ff2dc376527a29b58.png

All the hard work the developers did to create this should not be delegated to a game mode that is completely defunct.

If you voted no on the poll, I truly don't understand why you wouldn't want this. Please explain.

Lucky you made votes hidden!! I would've hunted down anyone who voted no Taken style...

No but seriously the Gorge was a super beautiful and fun game mode. I desperately want at least elements of it included in base DST someday, especially the Flora and Mumsy and Billy. I've asked for them as special NPC's you can trade with or do little quests for on many an occasion. 

"on a separate island?"

This is why I voted no. I love the ocean but islands are not the way to go I feel. Moon Quay Isle is not fun for me. Considering how impactful it is having only 1 location for something so important with no way to properly locate it is unfun. If there was a world generation overhaul then maybe I can agree with it because having our giant blob of a world which makes traversing one side of the ocean to another really aggravating and annoying. If we had a way to make canals of sorts so we can move boats through land I would be more open to it.

In general I think world size is too big for what is there. If the gorge stuff was added to the main land, sure, whatever I genuinely don't care. it is the separate island that I have an issue with, with regard to current world generation processes.

I wouldn't want a direct 1:1 port of the assets, but some of the ideas and mechanics could be introduced in a neat way.

I personally care about balance over all, and I think we have had an influx of redundant food choices (Figs, Stone Fruit, Banana Bushes), so making any food related content be impactful would be quite difficult.

It's not a simple yes or no question.

I voted yes because of gorge, not because of it being on a separate island, the ocean and sailing is garbage in DST and they abandoned it for a different arc so no good changes to it are coming any time soon, meaning, if gorge content was to be added it would be an entire rework and rebalance of food and cooking in most aspects, not as extra bloat in the game.

Same as Scrimbles. This is not a simple yes or no question.

Relocating them in the basic dst requires a lot of work, from the location of the biome and how the mechanism works to each item recipe and tech level, these issues can be dealt with in an infinite ways with infinite number of possible outcomes. A simple "adding Gorge content into dst" is too vague a description for me ,looks no different from the ill-considered whimsy of a player who has just played the game for two hours.

1 hour ago, Cassielu said:

Same as Scrimbles. This is not a simple yes or no question.

Relocating them in the basic dst requires a lot of work, from the location of the biome and how the mechanism works to each item recipe and tech level, these issues can be dealt with in an infinite ways with infinite number of possible outcomes. A simple "adding Gorge content into dst" is too vague a description for me ,looks no different from the ill-considered whimsy of a player who has just played the game for two hours.

It would also take mountains of work to make totally original assets, biomes, plants, mobs, structures, art and assets. At least with gorge stuff, the work is half done. 

And then what existed can be repurposed into the game in however klei sees fit.

Why I suggested another island, was because perhaps a challenge can be conquered native to island itself that sets itself apart from the mainland.

Integrating the maw in a way that is a bit different can work. 

It definitely is a yes or no question. Either you want the assets and art recycled or you don't. 

I simply don't see procedural generation making way for a gorge biome to be added to the mainland. It shakes up the status quo a bit too much, but if that's how it would make it in, I don't particularly care. As long as the assets don't go to waste. 

20 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It would also take mountains of work to make totally original assets, biomes, plants, mobs, structures, art and assets. At least with gorge stuff, the work is half done. 

That's true for assets, but they're new for gameplay.

These art assets are all great and I love them, but gameplay is much more important to me. If these assets are recycled and used to create good game content, my answer is yes, and if it's bad game content, then no, because that's not only bringing down the whole game, it's also tarnishing the assets -- which is an even worse waste.

3 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

These art assets are all great and I love them, but gameplay is much more important to me. If these assets are recycled and used to create good game content, my answer is yes, and if it's bad game content, then no, because that's not only bringing down the whole game, it's also tarnishing the assets -- which is an even worse waste.

It is not in any developer's best interest to make bad gameplay. If it's worked on, it's VERY safe to assume the developer intends to make good game content, always, but the problem is that sometimes, good content is subjective. 

4 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

Imagine if Powder Monkey had Billy's face, it would be hard for me to recall the good times in gorge without associating it with my bad experience of being robbed by pirates four times in one day.

I had taken a significant break from dst during powder monkey and moonquay, so I can only go by what I heard during that specific beta, but in the aforementioned beta, there were complaints about being robbed by monkeys at sea and it was nerfed, but there are still people who say that the nerf was a mistake and there was nothing wrong with it. Once more, subjective. 

But again, it is always in the developer's best interests to add content into the game that is a net positive. No developer goes in and says "Hm, how can I ruin this successful game franchise?"
It's also why we have betas. I truly believe that Gorge can be a VERY welcome addition and to ensure that, we've got beta testing to iron out the kinks. 

Klei fumbled the bag so hard by dropping the Gateway arc without as much as a crumb of the, obvious, connection that it could have with RoT.

I believe that Gorge is still the peak of dst environmental design that the devs haven't been able to replicate for the past 6 years, Moon Quay being the closest they've gotten.

They need to bring elements back from the Gorge. Yes, I know that RwyS was based on Gorge's farming and I know that Crustenshines use the same model as Pebble Crabs, but there is. So. Much. More. That could be done with the concepts that Gorge has introduced.

I mean, a year ago I made a suggestion on how and why Klei should add Mumsy and Billy into dst for crying out loud.

It would be a perfect way to also rework cooking and make it more complex

They could allow us to enter forge and gorge events on hosted servers through the ancient gateway after beating FW, giving some of the forge items (obviously rebalanced, perhaps adding durability but increasing damage in case of weapons) and some of the gorge decorations, possibly in addition to being able to cook some gorge dishes in the gorge cookware for completing those events. Not sure how it'd be implemented though, considering it'd either require a third shard or to put everyone currently in the caves into the event world.

8 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Lucky you made votes hidden!! I would've hunted down anyone who voted no Taken style... 

Personally I just don't think the assets fit into the base game in a way that would make sense. I guess I'd take them as skins sure, but you're more than welcome to hunt me down

More rewarding cooking mechanics would be amazing but I feel like the fact that there's so many crockpot skins would prove it tedious unless they make the new skin assets for the cooking buildings.

Then again I'd enjoy having the lot of food added as either more sanity restoration or new ways to utilize farming to make staple food that could last long. Public servers are always full of noobs that need to be fed and farms are only somewhat okay in feeding everyone. Meatballs are king but not everyone knows how to get meat. This is why I made the proposal for adding wheat into farming and adding actually long lasting food primarily made for keeping hunger high. Not made for health, maybe being fine for making sanity foods but hunger being main thought.

Other than that, generally if we could cook several dishes in one cooking station it would make much better experience over doing it over and over to each pot. If we won't get cooking stations for it then might as well we should get to train pigs as cooks or something.

I never got to play the gorge.. or the forge- these events were hosted on Klei official servers and the Xbox version of the game has never had access to those servers.

however from the photos and videos I’ve watched, the mobs, the biomes, the trees, plant life etc.. are all absolutely gorgeous. And between SW, Hamlet, Gorge & Forge assets.. DST could be a much bigger, much prettier game.

I doubt we will ever see that day come to light, and the most we can hope for is that Klei will see the popularity behind these arts/assets, and at the very minimal- give some item/belonging/etc skins to make our worlds look like them!

I mean.. we can Clean Sweep Stationary tombstones, Pet Dens and Wormholes now.. so the possibility is still there.

The gorge doesn't really fit I think as it represents a much more developed and different era than DST's more basic elements. It's not really tailored toward survival, and most elements within exist as something rather alien to the main game. Not to mention id rather Klei flesh out the behaviours and capabilities and such of pigs and merms rather than introduce swamp pigs or weird goat-merms. I'd honestly much rather Klei add some weapons that function similar to what the forge has, because combat is already a pretty important part of the game, and some weapon variety would be much appreciated.

I voted no. I haven't played Gorge but from the screenshots of the assets I think it has its own unique style that clashes with DST style. Most of the assets look out of place to me when I see builds with SW/Hamlet/Gorge/Forge structures and turfs being added to DST builds. 

I would rather have new DST assets designed specifically for this version of the game with all of its existing art in mind. 

What many people have already said already, I also think that the artstyle that Klei has used for the Gorge doesn't fit with the base DST in the slightest, not saying no to a cooking overhaul or more mechanics from that gamemode but a full on 1-1 port would be not only super lame but also would clash way too much with the DST artstyle, and if you think that is not important, well, the unique visual design of the game is like half the drive to play it lol, we don't need another tf2 situation where everything new is added so the game can be kept on life support and there's 0 care put into preserving the art style of the game, like, have you seen some of those new scream fortress XV cosmetics?

Now those are two different situations, but the death of an artstyle doesn't need to be so obvious as to just add stuff that doesn't fit completely, it can be a small little clash that starts the snowball effect.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:45 PM, chirsg said:

I was going to frame a poll to totally serve my agenda, but I'm interested in knowing why people literally wouldn't want recycled Gorge assets into the game. It adds to the experience without really taking away anything assuming Gorge content were put on an island away from the mainland.

For a precedent to advocate for Gorge content and not interacting with it if you don't like it, enter moon quay. Literally, in many cases, you'll see worlds that spend seasons on end existing and haven't bothered with even trying to interact with that part of the game. 
If you don't like Gorge, don't sail to it. 

The beauty of Gorge content being added into the game is that the art, animations, assets, etc, they're all in the game. The developers shouldn't really need to start from scratch and it just adds so much life.

As for the structures for cooking, a lot of them don't need to be crockpot 2.0
You can have ovens that serve to cook a lot of meat at once, cookpots can process bone and vegetables into stock to be used for normal crockpot cooking and also, come on, all the structures are beautiful and lying in waste. Klei at this point developed them for NOTHING. NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. The art, assets and animations exist to rot in obscurity. 

DST GORGE ESCAPED! New recipes, achievements, chests and more! - YouTube

image.jpeg.4f2c477a51b9f10351ac3f822314e63e.jpegimage.png.2c442d9523c3d0d722ed1be6bd5e3462.pngimage.png.593940e21e5efb7f22a0df29f75c4938.png

image.png.2c9a2f278a88a6933e1bd4b4a03f9f59.pngSugarwood_Memorial_Park.thumb.png.f4b5e946fca3b31ff2dc376527a29b58.png

All the hard work the developers did to create this should not be delegated to a game mode that is completely defunct.

If you voted no on the poll, I truly don't understand why you wouldn't want this. Please explain.

Everything for the Gorge was designed specifically with that gamemode in mind, I think it wouldn't make a lot of sense lore-wise or aesthetically to just drop it into a random island in DST. That being said, I love the Gorge and really want to see the gamemode brough back sometime. I just don't think this is the best way to go about it. And if it never does, I think it was a really fun experience, not everything has to implemented forever to be worthwhile. 

56 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

I think it wouldn't make a lot of sense lore-wise or aesthetically to just drop it into a random island in DST.

My favourite subject essay spm My favorite Teacher, loves the subject ...

That's the thing with opinions. You are bound to disagree. I suggest that if it's an island, you can elect not to interact with it. 

Also, the style of the Victorian/Gorge is the most popular among people to buy skins and it is modelled after the Gorge.

59 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

just drop it into a random island in DST.

That's a gross oversimplification and assumes that there wouldn't be a good explanation for it. I can think of one right now; lunar = enlightenment. Could turbocharge reasoning with whatever race is dominant on the land, but that's just one thing.

I'm sure klei could write something that is better than whatever I came up with literally 30 seconds ago.

Game mode can't really come back because it wasn't profitable as a game mode.

This once more will be subjective, but I'll speak my worthless opinion, but I truly do believe that Gorge and it's assets fit dst even more than anything in moon quay except for docks. That was a long time coming, but moonquay has an even bigger clash against the Tim Burton theme that even outsiders are familiar with. 

Gorge is right at home.

But hey, that's just like, my opinion man, same as you.

Archived