[Game Update] - 560308

2 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

We still need to deal with earthquakes around structures. I like this change, think it’s a step in the right direction. But I also really like the pillar idea. They’d be sort of like cave lightning rods.

I can't really agree that this was a right step in any direction from what I've Been Told these are supposed to be new seasons of sorts and if that's the case this content has failed we got new tools to combat winter it didn't just stop happening after we got a McGuffin if we're going forward with the pillar mechanic it should require maintenance from the player. Also it shouldn't be from a resource we can place in base to harvest.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I can't really agree that this was a right step in any direction from what I've Been Told these are supposed to be new seasons of sorts and if that's the case this content has failed we got new tools to combat winter it didn't just stop happening after we got a McGuffin if we're going forward with the pillar mechanic it should require maintenance from the player. Also it shouldn't be from a resource we can place in base to harvest.

The pillar would be perfectly akin to a lightning rod in the analogy of seasons and counter measures.  There would be a tradeoff too b/c quakes bring resources, and I presume the pillar would stop them too - like they do in the archives - not just the boulders.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

The pillar would be perfectly akin to a lightning rod in the analogy of seasons and counter measures.  There would be a tradeoff too b/c quakes bring resources, and I presume the pillar would stop them too - like they do in the archives - not just the boulders.

Yeah plus pillars would be quite expensive like like 10 boards for wood and 10 cut stone for stone and like 15 marble for that 

20 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Yeah I understand the matanince thing but It should only let rain/acid In because I wouldn’t want someone’s base to get destroyed 

• Developer

Thanks for all the feedback guys!  We definitely plan to expand on the effects of the Rift openings more in future updates.  We also have plans to rebalance the new armor sets and bonuses, but that will likely come after this release.

For the Void Cowl face, unfortunately the main issue that cannot be solved easily is we don't have a layer behind the face that matches the hat animation in front, which would be needed to draw the black inside part of the hat behind the head.

Also, forgot to mention that the Void set should work with Maxwell's immunity to sanity drain.  That will be fixed before release.

Edited by V2C
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 9
  • Health 2

4 minutes ago, V2C said:

Also, forgot to mention that the Void set should work with Maxwell's immunity to sanity drain.  That will be fixed before release.

Wanda too, ya?

34 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I can't really agree that this was a right step in any direction from what I've Been Told these are supposed to be new seasons of sorts and if that's the case this content has failed we got new tools to combat winter it didn't just stop happening after we got a McGuffin if we're going forward with the pillar mechanic it should require maintenance from the player.

Man this sentence is so epic.

Edited by JazzyGames
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RonanMcQ said:

Yeah I understand the matanince thing but It should only let rain/acid In because I wouldn’t want someone’s base to get destroyed 

The cost of not maintaining your base has always been destruction why should that change now?

40 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Can't say I'm a fan of enabling content to immediately solve it and never worry about it again. Feels like it'd be the same as keeping it as is but with a additional step. I'm not even saying it should require some outrageous maintenance or that it should be common but I feel we should have to invest into that saftey.

To be more specific it could even be a maintenance cost of once a season or once every two seasons.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

Because the ceiling above it would be more stable?

I guess that might make sense if these are cave ins, I was under the impression they were earthquakes due to the shaking animation, but the surface never shakes, so I guess they aren’t.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, V2C said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!  We definitely plan to expand on the effects of the Rift openings more in future updates.  We also have plans to rebalance the new armor sets and bonuses, but that will likely come after this release.

More of this, please! This is the best, open communication will certainly go a long way with these updates. I appreciate every ounce of it!

• Like 16
  • Health 2

1 hour ago, V2C said:

For the Void Cowl face, unfortunately the main issue that cannot be solved easily is we don't have a layer behind the face that matches the hat animation in front, which would be needed to draw the black inside part of the hat behind the head.

Yeah this takes the edge off of for now at least.  Don't be afraid to throw out the current set bonuses if something actually interesting comes up.  Stat boosts are the least fun / noticeable boosts which leads them to become extreme just to qualify as "real" ie Wolfgang gets full 2x damage boost and is noticed but many neglect the "mild" boost Wigfrid gets.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

The cost of not maintaining your base has always been destruction why should that change now?

Has it?  b/c I don't think that has ever been a thing.  We had disease for a bit I guess, but considering it got removed and faced strong disapproval pretty much across the board I think that stands as evidence that our bases shouldn't decay from simple "lack of maintaining."

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Has it?  b/c I don't think that has ever been a thing.  We had disease for a bit I guess, but considering it got removed and faced strong disapproval pretty much across the board I think that stands as evidence that our bases shouldn't decay from simple "lack of maintaining."

To be fair there is lightning, but I think that it should require maintenance but it would only punish with rain, acid rain and earth quakes without boulders so that way it’s inconvenient but not base destroying.

Or just keep the current boulder system and only have them for decor  I mainly want them for that

25 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I mean what about wild fires, deerclops, and fire hounds yea you can techincally just leave base to avoid these threats but assuming you stay in base you need to actively combat these mechanics in one way or another on the surface. Though I guess it is kind of a stretch I'll admit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean what about wild fires, deerclops, and fire hounds yea you can techincally just leave base to avoid these threats but assuming you stay in base you need to actively combat these mechanics in one way or another on the surface. Though I guess it is kind of a stretch I'll admit.

Really only wildfires there. Deerclops and fire hounds; as you said; you just bugger off to deal with. Same with antlion's sink holes, but you can just kill her at the start of summer to deal with that. And the only other thing I can think of is lightning, which is definitely no-maintenance as long as you get the lightning rods put down.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Wildfire is the closest especially when we only had flingo's to handle it, but we've always been able to hit up the caves during summer in DST and we got tall tall trees now too.  Maybe I just misunderstand your meaning, when I hear "maintenance" I think like changing the oil in my car, its something I do to keep it going regardless of what else happens.  Compared to a dent in a fender b/c someone slammed their shopping cart into it, that's repair b/c something went wrong.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Wildfire is the closest especially when we only had flingo's to handle it, but we've always been able to hit up the caves during summer in DST and we got tall tall trees now too. 

I'm not particually against the idea of solutions like this but the key thing here is that in order to deal with wildfires your avoiding base, fueling the flingo, basing somewhere where it's not as much as a problem, or actively putting out the fires in every scenario to a extent your acknowledging the mechanic and finding a good way to work around it that's more so what I want.

34 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Maybe I just misunderstand your meaning, when I hear "maintenance" I think like changing the oil in my car, its something I do to keep it going regardless of what else happens.

This is actually more or less accurate regular activities like this to maintain can go a long way in a survival game and a major flaw dst has is we're not really encouraged to engage with the world and the world isn't really too impactful on our survival beyond situational upgrades after we grab everything that can be moved.

Leaving base because you want a better optional tool/optional food or leaving base to because you need something to protect your home carry a different weight and will see a different level of engagement among players right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I'm not particually against the idea of solutions like this but the key thing here is that in order to deal with wildfires your avoiding base, fueling the flingo, basing somewhere where it's not as much as a problem, or actively putting out the fires in every scenario to a extent your acknowledging the mechanic and finding a good way to work around it that's more so what I want.

Yeah I understand that I would want the pillars to act like a flingo where if your at base you have a way to stop the boulders but it requires upkeep, but if your not at base your shouldn’t worry about it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RonanMcQ said:

Yeah I understand that I would want the pillars to act like a flingo where if your at base you have a way to stop the boulders but it requires upkeep, but if your not at base your shouldn’t worry about it

I mean theoretically it would already naturally do that boulders spawn based on players

• Like 2

11 hours ago, V2C said:

Also, forgot to mention that the Void set should work with Maxwell's immunity to sanity drain.  That will be fixed before release.

Thanks a lot! 

Edited by Danila6300
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 9:47 PM, MostMerryTomcat said:

Or... have those (Antlion) Boulders not spawn at all? Perhaps replaced by some other more interesting, dynamic an lore-wise element, like some Horror Mites falling during earthquakes that player can actually fight for a small amount (x1) of Pure Horror? Maybe some Dreadstone-looking big fragments that shatter on impact and do area dmg to players (but not structures)? Plenty solutions that bring interactivity as opposed to solely punishment.

Yeah, I think I prefer more renewable rocks than fighting annoying critters every 5 minutes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lil K said:

Guys, just a small question, are we going to be able to turn the shadow rifts on through the settings?

I assume so. You can turn lunar rifts on/off via settings so the sames probably gonna be for the shadows 

• Like 1