[Game Update] - Public Testing 543530

• Developer

image.gif

Hi everyone!

We’re ready to start public testing for our February 2023 Quality of Life update! 

This minor update includes bug fixes, new cosmetic skins and UX improvements for both the base game and Spaced Out! DLC.

We’ve added a search function to the build menu to make it easier to find exactly what you’re looking for. Buildings can be searched by name or by subcategory. Subcategory names, like Pipes or Sensors, appear when icons are organized in list view. 

The new Disconnect tool—inspired by the Pliers mod—lets you sever pipes, wires, Transit Tubes and Conveyor Rails yourself, freeing up your Duplicants to focus on more important tasks. 

There’s also new music in the Supply Closet, and two crates of new cosmetic skins ready to be claimed via the Klei Rewards website… including fresh inflatables for Balloon Artists to hand out! 

Please note that this public testing period might be shorter than usual: there’s a chance that the full update will be released on February 23rd. 

Bug reports and feedback can be posted here. Thank you to everyone who participates. Your insights are super helpful! 

Here’s what you’ll find in the update so far: 

Spoiler

Features

• All versions
    • Added search function to the Build Menu.
    • Added list view option to the Build Menu.
    • Added a new Disconnect tool.
    • Added Supply Closet music and new UI sfx.
    • Added new cosmetic skins.

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Drywall can now be rotated.
    • Dream Journals can now be stored in any storage that allows inedible solids. 
    • Mouse wheel no longer zooms in/out when not over the game window.
    • The link to the Klei Rewards website will now produce a warning if logged into a different account than is being used in the game.
    • Restyling a spawned-in Duplicant's outfit now initially opens up the "Duplicants" screen instead of the "Outfits" screen.
    • Updated data communications message inside the game.
    • Tool tooltips now display the tool's name.
    • Renamed Plan 1-15 and Overlay 1-15 as build menu category names and overlay category names respectively.
    • Modding:
      • Added additional body parts to the Personalities.csv.
      • Remove Klei Item clothing symbols from the Accessorizer. Klei Item clothing and suits now override animation symbols using the WearableAccessorizer. The default body slots are still on MinionIdentity; they have not been updated from the initial change in the Hot Shots update.
      • Increased tag bits to 320 as we've seen some reports of running out.
      • Fixed a freeze on start up caused by adding a modded story trait.
      • Fixed an issue which prevented modded story traits from spawning in worldgen.
      • Fixed a crash that could happen when loading a save with a modded story trait of a disabled mod. 

Fixes

• All versions
    • Equipping a suit at a dock no longer plays the yellow alert sound when the suit was previously marked as yellow alert.
    • Fixed a bug where sometimes critters would get stuck in their "Waiting to be Groomed" state.
    • Fixed a crash that could happen if a critter is being groomed and the room size changes.
    • Fixed OSX restarter.
    • Fixed an issue where the restarter would crash in some updates.
    • Geotuner
      • Fixed Geotuner listing uncapped geysers which have not been revealed yet.
      • Fixed a minor visual bug where switching geysers when not operational could cause geyser’s “going up” animation to snap back instead of rising smoothly. 
    • Rooms
      • Fixed missing Private Bedroom string when hovering over Morale.
      • Renamed Morale tooltip from “Bedroom” to “Luxury Barracks” to match the correct room name.
    • Mysterious Hermit
      • Fixed retrieve mail animation not playing correctly.
      • Improved robustness of knocking sequence from errors.
      • Updated Mysterious Hermit’s bio.
      • Mysterious Hermit completion popup no longer displays dead Duplicants.
      • Fixed a bug where on load, items stored in the Gravitas Shipping Container would not be listed in the resources list.
      • Duplicant knocking on the door no longer prioritizes knocking over dying.
    • Somnium Synthesizer
      • Fixed Pajamas looking incorrect when climbing ladders and sliding down fire poles.
      • Fixed the Pajamas disappearing as the Duplicant folds them.
      • Potential crash fix getting Pajamas from Pajama Cubby.
    • Critter Flux-o-Matic
      • Fixed a crash that could happen if a critter dies near the Critter Flux-o-Matic.
      • Critter Flux-o-Matic no longer crashes when scanning a Beetiny.
    • Tools
      • Empty Pipe tool now works with Conveyor Rails.
      • Empty Pipe tool now has an "All" filter.
      • Empty Pipe tool no longer queues up empty actions on empty pipes or conveyor rails.
      • Fixed an issue where using the cancel tool on a critter marked for capture would throw an error.
    • Fixed issue causing Printing Pod to stay selected after viewing the Choose a Duplicant screen.
    • Fixed a bug where Duplicants stored un-spiced food in Refrigerators marked as "Spiced Food Only" when loading a save with a Refrigerator previously marked as "Spiced Food Only."
    • Fixed missing space in the Repair Atmosuit option of Exosuit Forge.
    • Fixed a bug where a save seed shown in the escape menu in-game wouldn't include the story traits selected when the world was created.
    • Fixed a bug where some meters in some rocket modules would be left behind in place when a rocket is in mid-air, launching to space.
    • Fixed a bug where Oxidizer Tanks were having two meters (overlapping, therefore not visible except when one was left behind on Rocket launching) to display info about their storage. 
    • Fixed a bug where increasing the capacity of the Oxidizer Tank would not update the meter visually and would not create a refill chore until reloading the save.
    • Fixed a bug where Oxidizer Tanks that consumed a portion of their content in space missions would not initialize a refill chore request when the rocket returns. 
    • Fixed tooltip positioning errors caused by variable UI scales and/or screen resolutions. Adjusted some tooltip anchor positions.
    • Under-construction backwall tiles no longer count for the Private Bedroom's room requirement.
    • Fixed crash that could occur when opening Colony Summary screen after unlocking a new achievement.
    • Fixed visual masking issue for Colony Summary achievements.
    • Fixed a bug where some medical buildings displayed the wrong string when requesting a medicine supply. 
    • Removed deprecated buildings from database.
    • When a Duplicant no longer has the "Balloon Buddy" status item, the balloon they were holding should now disappear.
    • Reduced memory requirements for a few large textures.
    • Fixed issue where sensor side screen buttons would continue to modify values next time the screen was opened on the Steam Deck.
    • Fixed warning message on unbound controls appearing when using default controls.
    • Deleted the circle shape that was appearing on blank canvases.
    • Fixed Conveyor Meter animation playing too fast.
  • Base game only
    • Fixed an issue where sometimes the game would incorrectly try to load the Spaced Out! DLC when it is not installed.
    • Fixed main menu "Activate DLC" button's overly large hitbox.
    • Fixed Mission Control Station’s "No Eligible Rockets in Range" tooltip displaying the wrong string.
    • Unassigning a Duplicant to the Command Module now correctly cancels the errand of a Duplicant on their way to the module.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Worldgen: Squelchy Asteroid now starts with random geysers like the other Classic-style asteroids.
    • Fixed a bug where replacing one rocket module with another wouldn't return the materials of the replaced one.
    • Fixed a bug where other asteroids could be seen on the top edge of certain asteroids, under the red-lined world limit.
    • Fixed a bug where falling water occurring at the bottom rows of an asteroid could sometimes be visible in the top red zone of another asteroid.
    • Fixed missing Rocket Restrictions screen title, which is visible only when a rocket is launching.
    • Fixed Starmap Location Sensor automation port's strings using the Cycle Sensor's strings by mistake.
    • Fixed a bug where meteor shower background effects would also appear in other asteroids located below the one with the active event in the grid.
    • Fixed performance when a Solar Panel Module is selected.
    • Fixed a visual bug where some dig actions icons could be seen in the red zone of other asteroids. 
    • Fixed a visual bug where the red-lined world limit on some asteroids was misplaced, making it look as though objects could be built beyond the world’s limits.
    • Fixed Radiation build menu missing a shortcut.

What is public testing?

"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the public testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become a public tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the public testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

9 hours ago, JarrettM said:

two crates of new cosmetic skins ready to be claimed via the Klei Rewards website

Wasn't there an indication on the previous testing branch there was a "shipment" ready to be redeemed? Flashing, moving.. I don't remember but I thought there was something triggering you to click the shipment crate. I don't see anything this time around ( or I remember it totally wrong...)

image.png.28747c7a225b4a58f2a23e3c255053f1.png

Edit: Are outfit templates saved per pc? Or did they just got reset on this update? (I opened the game on a different pc than the one I made some outfits on. I would assume they would "transfer" if the closet is common and synced..?)

Edited by sakura_sk

13 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Worldgen: Squelchy Asteroid

For those who forgot what Squelchy Asteroid is. It's similar to terra but you start on oil swamp planet where dirt is barely exist and you need to rely on sluge press for a while.

Edited by SackMaggie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, el_fidel said:

I prefer to play it with a dupe task for disconnecting conduits :( It just makes more sense

IMO no task makes it more consistent with no task to join pipes. May be a powerful tool, maybe sightly too much, but I like it more that way.

If you prefer having errands to do this, I'm pretty sure it should be doable with mods

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Added list view option to the Build Menu.

With lists being added, can we have hide/expand feature for them? Eg: I'm not looking for tiles, so I can click "Tiles" list's name to hide it and make more space for other buildings in the menu. Or I can have all sub-categories hidden at all time, and then when I search for some specific building I just click on it's list's name to expand it and have only the buildings I need in the menu.

That would be pretty nice QoL and it feels missing when it is not there. Thx!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Fixed a bug where replacing one rocket module with another wouldn't return the materials of the replaced one.

it takes them 4 months to fix this bug, i'm a kind of rocket person who really like flying around planets and this bug is reason why i switched to another game. It's time for me to comeback the game i love most, ty devs 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JarrettM said:

image.gif

Hi everyone!

We’re ready to start public testing for our February 2023 Quality of Life update! 

This minor update includes bug fixes, new cosmetic skins and UX improvements for both the base game and Spaced Out! DLC.

There are encoding issues for some of the modified strings in the template file, e.g:

#. STRINGS.CODEX.JOURNALISTREQUEST.BODY.CONTAINER2
msgctxt "STRINGS.CODEX.JOURNALISTREQUEST.BODY.CONTAINER2"
msgid "<indent=5%>I don�t know how you pulled it off, but Stern�s office just called the paper and granted me an exclusive�and a tour of the Gravitas Facil
ity. I owe you a beer. No - a case of beer. Six cases of beer!\n\nSeriously, thank you. I know you're in a difficult position but you�ve done the right thi
ng. See you on Tuesday.</indent>"

This seems to be present for emails content strings. STRINGS.CODEX.JOURNALISTREQUEST.BODY.CONTAINER4, STRINGS.CODEX.MISSINGNOTES.BODY.CONTAINER2, STRINGS.CODEX.MYSTERYAWARD.BODY.CONTAINER2, STRINGS.CODEX.CRITTERDELIVERY.BODY.CONTAINER1 all have the same issue and I didn't finish checking all the changes yet.

Edited by krop
  • Thanks 1

So since i finally have my new Notebook i can play the Late Games again with ease. I have a special Feature request already and i belive some of you would agree too!

It's Perfect that you right now doing a QOL Update. It's something small that can make a huge diffrence. I never thought that Atmosuit Storing should belong in Supply/Store Section for Delivering Suits or Repair Atmo Suit in Fabricate alone because of their importance. I see it more as Life Support Task because without Atmosuits the Duplicants have a really hard time.

Another Idea for them: Maybe if the Suit get's damaged enough Dupes do not deequip it at first (Let's say 10% of Suit Health left) but they will change the Suit out if possible before wearing them again. That would end a big hole for them in my opinion and would them make smarter to use.

Edited by Sergadra
  • Like 1

It'd be nice if atmo suits could be repaired ("maintained") for 1 fiber when between 1% and 50% durability, along with a setting for docks to not accept suits between 1-50% (so they'd drop to the floor like 0% suits do now).

That way, dupes would stop getting on spaceships w/ suits that immediately break and jeopardize entire missions. Currently, I have to micromanage the docks at launch time, which is a pain, and makes the whole repair system more annoying than it needs to be.

• Like 5