Giant radiation bloom insta-kills duplicants within <1 cycle, integer underflow?

meekay
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: OSX Fixed

When running the new preview build, a radiation bloom over 2M rads appears on the map within less than a cycle and starts insta-killing duplicants. 

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Load the attached save file and start running at Slow (>) Speed.
  2. Look around at the various planetoids.
  3. A printer pod event will happen. Select something and keep going.
  4. By the end of the current cycle, a radiation bloom will appear somewhere on Oozilios. Your first indication may be a duplicant getting insta-killed by it. However the location within Oozilios has varied each time that I've reproduced it. The bloom has no apparent cause, but the number of radioactive contaminant germs at the center of it is suspiciously close to the maximum value of a 31-bit integer.

Although the save file references the Fast Tracks mod, I verified that the behavior is reproducible even with mods turned off.

image.thumb.png.93cf1451088abff60320dd13b9fbed72.png

Leaky Committee.sav

• Like 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

How frequently does this reproduce? Are there areas other than near the Natural Gas Generators where you've seen this bug?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

When I submitted the bug I reproduced it consistently 3-4 times in a row within a single cycle, shortly after the printer pod event.

At least two of the times the bloom appeared in the center of that planetoid, under the fish tank, near a battery and two turbines. The final time, when I captured the screenshot, it appeared further down and right by the natural gas plant.

After submitting the bug I switched back to the release branch and have not reproduced it since.

Edited by meekay

Share this comment

Just reproduced it again with the latest testing build (U45-544222-S), cycle 1219 now, all mods disabled. Less than 300 seconds of play. This time the bloom appeared in the Dense Puft oxylite ranch on Oozilios. The peak tile is the NE of the Grooming Station with 2,146,987,516 Radioactive Contaminant germs, with the Cycle Sensor also having 2,115,777,967 Radioactive Contaminant germs as shown in this paused screencap a couple seconds after I noticed it. The only network behind either of those buildings is an automation wire.

image.thumb.png.a6486f4782a20c211ab7f7e15f13fde3.png

Leaky Committee.sav

Player.log

Edited by meekay

Share this comment

Now reproduced with today's release. Curiously it lists the germs in the peak tile as being Slimelung this time.

All the other ones highlighted are Radioactive Contaminants though. The one two tiles above the storage bin is the second highest, with 1.9B radioactive germs.

Unfortunately this issue now means I'm unable to play, at least with this colony.

image.thumb.png.336322555e2ce69fc9fb38a4f49d096d.png

Share this comment

I'm seeing the same issue, with massive waves of slimelung germs. There's some other people on reddit discussing the same problem here's a few links. This is sure adding a new level of difficulty!

• Like 1

Share this comment

I don't generally use Reddit, so I appreciate the validation that this isn't just happening on my machine! I haven't seen anyone else discussing it on these forums.

• Like 1

Share this comment

We're currently investigating.

Anyone experiencing this issue please post your Player.log. We're wondering if this only happens on OSX or also other platforms.

• Ninja 1

Share this comment

59 minutes ago, EricKlei said:

Anyone experiencing this issue please post your Player.log. We're wondering if this only happens on OSX or also other platforms.

Reddit user from one of the posts mentioned by @codekitchen confirmed OSX and another replied Mac OS Monterey

Edited by mplusplus
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

Experiencing this bug with with the new update in macOS Ventura; slimelung germs propagating in the millions in unexpected environments.

Player.log

• Thanks 1

Share this comment