What change would you like to see in the QOL update?

There's a really neat thing that some trees do IRL, that'd be good to see in Don't Starve. Some plants, such as the lodgepole pine, Eucalyptus, and Banksia, have special cones or fruits that are sealed so well, that the seeds within can only be released by the heat of a fire. Effectively planting trees, by burning their cones or fruit. With that in mind, I would love to see this change:

• Tree seeds, after being set on fire and extinguished should be automatically planted.

Now that I think about it, we already had this in the game for over 9 years... Wonder why it isn't working anymore.

10 hours ago, Sanitar said:

What change would you like to see in the QOL update? I personally would like the ability to reload the ruins like in the DST.

you can if world jump via maxwell machine in other dlc, also the volcano is refilled too

i personally would love beefalo bell, coffee with a logical speed buff, animation cancelling for atacks and other task like in dst (fighting multiple enmies in DS is a pain), ancient herald fight revisited, buff to some ruins items like star caller staff, orange amulet or thulecite club  and smouldering added in the game instead of insta fire everywhere

i would ask for more like adding to sw the cutted clockworks, having an extra season in hamlet or something to make it feel less short and repetitive, etc but i dont expect huge changes

3 hours ago, KCDA said:

There's a really neat thing that some trees do IRL, that'd be good to see in Don't Starve. Some plants, such as the lodgepole pine, Eucalyptus, and Banksia, have special cones or fruits that are sealed so well, that the seeds within can only be released by the heat of a fire. Effectively planting trees, by burning their cones or fruit. With that in mind, I would love to see this change:

Now that I think about it, we already had this in the game for over 9 years... Wonder why it isn't working anymore.

based on your description, you seem to enjoy the mechanics as a reflection of reality much more than any fake video-game utility arised from putting an impossible amount of pinecones on top of eachother and then extinguishing them manually. Would you like it if acorns set on fire being planted was implemented, but now to act more in line with everything else, they don't plant unless there is adequate space for them to, so its functionally just planting them like normal?

2 hours ago, Primalflower said:

based on your description, you seem to enjoy the mechanics as a reflection of reality much more than any fake video-game utility arised from putting an impossible amount of pinecones on top of eachother and then extinguishing them manually. Would you like it if acorns set on fire being planted was implemented, but now to act more in line with everything else, they don't plant unless there is adequate space for them to, so its functionally just planting them like normal?

The Pinecone Bug is more than just a means of producing Logs. Before DST had Stagehands and Statues to act as "walls" we had walls of Burnt Trees. They have the same utility. You can't do that by normally planting Trees, because you can't get them close enough for it to work. The Pinecone Bug let you plant Trees anywhere you wanted, regardless of placing requirements. (You could even do silly things like Pinecone Bug inside your own inventory, drop the Pinecone on water, let the tree grow in the ocean, and then harvest with a Boat Cannon.)

Back to more practical talk, we've all had moments where we wanted to wall off a coastline right? You can't do it with just Walls, there would always be a gap. For 9+ years, we've filled that gap by dropping a Pinecone there, and using the Pinecone Bug. In DST, sure, make a Statue or an Antlion Boulder there. "Simple as that." But DS doesn't have those. Instead we have the older option: Pinecone Bug.

Enough about utility:

Additionally, it's been used as a decoration tool for AGES!  Want to really over-fill a "forest" aesthetic? Pinecone Bug. (Reminder, World Regrowth does not exist.) Ever wanted Trees right next to a Wall or structure? Pinecone Bug solves that problem. Bored to death in Summer, but too fearful of the world around you burning down, and need a way to pass the time? Pinecone Bug within Flingomatic range, and manually chop them.

Conclusion:

I've been playing DS since early Vanilla Beta, way back with the "circle island & bridge" world gen. I was weeks late, past the deadline to freely cross over from Google Chrome to Steam. I reached out the Klei, and they gave me a Steam copy anyway... I love DS, and I love Klei, but the only reason I could stay invested for basically a decade is by exploring DS's rich technical depth. To this very day, I'm learning new ways that the game works. People have describe Smash Brother Melee's mechanical depth as, "seemingly infinite," and I see that same rich flavor in Don't Starve, but as of yesterday, we lost two of our most fundamental deep mechanics, and heavens knows how many more will be lost by the end of the beta. Go on Youtube, and look up "dont starve fire farm" millions of views. Klei's known about it for years, seen our love of it, and left it alone, it's survived all of ROG, all of SW, all of Hamlet. It's been known for over eight years. And Klei just took it away.

DS just needs a little TLC, some bug fixes that people have wanted before Hamlet ended, before Hamlet started, before Home Sea Home, during SW. The go-to infamous example being the Season Bug. Small time bugs, and other annoyances... When Klei removed the Lantern Bug during Hamlet, we got Lamp Posts... When Klei patched the Backpack Bug, we got Merged Worlds, and later got Bundling Wraps ported over. If Klei has their hands tied, and needs to patch a bug people love, they find a way to replace it... But not this time.

6 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

New way to regen ruins since you can no longer world jump a different DLC to regen them.

Bugs are bugs no matter how much emotion people attach to them, but when big ones like that have stayed for a while I feel they should exist to some official capacity. Make the player earn it of course.

I added this in the main thread that JoeW made, but I thought it would be a good idea to add it here since the thread will most likely be swamped in replies. Full disclosure, this is a copy-and-paste job.

Spoiler

After playing this for a bit, the game definitely feels a lot more stable. Before this beta patch, I would get this really weird bug where the game would freeze everytime I left the caves. The only way to stop it was to save and quit and then log in again to continue playing in a stable manner.

Speaking of caves, I noticed that generating a cave no longer takes five minutes, which was weird, but it's gone now. The caves now generate in about 12-15 seconds. The massive slowdown that occurred when entering the caves is also gone. Speaking of world generation, they also patched that weird bug where the projector reel sound effect that played during world generation would continue playing when Maxwell introduced himself to you when starting a fresh world. World generation also had its loading time reduced immensely, and is now much shorter. It's very noticable on lower-end computer specs.

For Reign of Giants, I haven't been able to make the cave and overworld seasonal clocks get out of sync yet, so that's a good thing and a plus in my book. I have yet to start world hopping, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

I also have yet to crash the game by doing anything crazy.

As for the aforementioned QOL patch that may be coming later for Don't Starve, I'm hoping that it brings a few key features from Don't Starve Together. Namely...

- The ability to continue cooking stuff over a fire by holding down Mouse 1 instead of clicking constantly.

- The ability to drop items via holding SHIFT and then Left Clicking on it in my inventory.

- A big ask, but the crafting menu from DST. After going back to DS, I can definitely understand (And feel) how archaic and obtuse the old crafting menu was. It really did limit the scope of what new crafting tabs you could add to it, and having the new menu would be great to have. It might be a bit much to retrofit the old game to have the new menu, but I'd be okay with continuing to use the old menu (Though I chalk this up to being able to understand it after having played so much using it). Also, if the new menu were to be added to DS, I don't know if they would (Or should) add more crafting tabs to it. Imagine being to craft Volcano related items and not having to go back to the volcano after having prototyped them once.

- I would love to see Marble Shrubs and Marble Beans brought into DS. Having Marble be a rare resource is somewhat odd when I really only ever use Marble for making Checkerboard Flooring. I don't believe having easier access to Marble Armor would be that much of a gamebreaker, though I could imagine people saying that its downside is negated by Coffee and what have you. Movement speed in much more plentiful in DS.

As for other stuff for DS, I have yet to get to Hamlet, but I'm hoping that the bug where the BFBs legs continued to remain even after it left is patched. It happened to a friend of mine once when they were showing me their gameplay.

Lastly, I would like to see Baby Water Beefalo added in at some point. I remember them being shown in the teaser image for the 'Home Sea Home' update.

Spoiler

Home_sea_Home_forums.jpg

I also heard they have files in the games, as well as animations and are dummied out. I don't know how much they would change, but it would be nice to see them.

Anyways, thanks again for the beta patch and eventual push into the main branch. Hopefully, after this and the future QoL patch, the game will be much more stable and the team can move onto new things while knowing that this game is finished and in a much more comfortable state.

I'd like the ability that the player is able to switch character without resetting the world. The only current non-cheat method in an unmodded game is to activate adventure mode and beat it( so you changed your character to the one already on the throne). This is rather tedious and time-consuming.

Besides, I also want item & character skins added to singleplayer DS. We already have item skin in DST, and even in ONI, so why NOT in vanilla DS?

I thought of something else that I wanted to add. Whenever you come out of the caves or use the Seaworthy/Skyworthy, maybe give us a grace period when we arrive to another DLC for the Hounds/Crocodogs/Vampire Bats? If you haven't visited a world in quite some time or decide to travel to another world for the first time (For example, jumping from Reign of Giants to Shipwrecked), you'll always be expected to fight off a massive swarm as soon as you get there. I'd say either cut the waves in half and then restored to their usual wave size, or postpone the wave until the next one comes along (I can definitely see the latter being viewed as an exploit. Maybe have the postponed wave not be canceled out again until at least one instance of a DLC's wave is dealt with).

Also, tying into this, did you know that everytime you use the Shipworthy/Skyworthy, the Shadow Creatures that spawn from having low Sanity don't actually despawn and build up over time when traveling to other worlds? If you travel between worlds often enough and then approach either structure at low Sanity, you'll often be swarmed with a large amount of Shadow Creatures at once when you couldn't have known that they were there. Maybe just have the Shadow Creatures despawn when hopping between worlds.

Along with all of the general improvements to basic things such as attacking the right mob, quick drop, and being able to cancel any action that the player is making, I genuinely hope to see some balance around some mobs and items that have existed for so long but really have never went used.

This includes items such as the cork bat, captains' hat, insulated pack, and doydoy sail to name a few which I have never really seen that many people use outside of crafting it for the first time or for aesthetic purposes. There are even mobs such as Mants where it would be nice to get improvements to since befriending them takes so long, and even after you get all the needed materials you realize that they are DLC exclusive and pretty much outclassed by Pig Guards.

Although I don't believe this would happen, but it would also be neat if "clone" items (tropical fan/luxury fan, insulated pack/seapack) differed enough to have their own similar but slightly differing uses. It just feels a bit odd that hard to acquire loot doesn't really feel important when another item exists to fill the same purpose.

16 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

Whenever you come out of the caves or use the Seaworthy/Skyworthy, maybe give us a grace period when we arrive to another DLC for the Hounds/Crocodogs/Vampire Bats?

I would love if this could be applied to volcano eruptions in SW during Dry Season as well. I have seen people's bases being completely destroyed because of how easily it is to forget how close you are to having another volcanic eruption.

Personally, I hope they don't backport too many things from DST into DS. Where DST has strayed into a marginally different type of game with design decisions that I don't necessarily agree with, DS stayed in its own little time capsule that I come back to time and time again.

That being said, more bug fixes and general QoL I'd love to see (Wouldn't say no to a new DLC either! ;p).

DST's new crafting HUD divides me though, and if they're not planning on adding new content to DS that would require many more crafting recipes and such, I think I would prefer it to stay the way it is.

I know this sounds strange, but I'd love a cross-connection with ds and dst skins. Allowing single player dlc characters to wear outfits we earned in dst.

Oxygen not included is a single player game and the devs are allowing skins for the dupes in that game.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I know this sounds strange, but I'd love a cross-connection with ds and dst skins. Allowing single player dlc characters to wear outfits we earned in dst.

Oxygen not included is a single player game and the devs are allowing skins for the dupes in that game.

that would make the game way funnier. Just having access to the structure skins would make a huge difference

not having as much variety for designs and not having raid bosses as end game grind makes me fell bored of the dlcs after few hours played in a world

edit. maybe too late and probably would take maaany time to do but adding ds to the dst client would feel very attractive to people (a cheap game that brings many modes). Also it would create the problem of people asking 24/7 for SW and hamlet multiplayer...but one can dream

On 1/29/2023 at 12:00 PM, Pumking7 said:

and being able to cancel any action that the player is making,

Ah, most likely that won't be happening. Attack Cancelling in DST is a bug. It was patched during the DS Vanilla Beta, so at some point in 2013 probably. DST was built off a pre-caves version from the beta, AND before Attack Cancelling was patched. So it smuggled its way into DST.

Based on how the current bug fix beta has been going, don't be too surprised if this cherished feature is suddenly removed from DST. 

Just now, KCDA said:

Ah, most likely that won't be happening. Attack Cancelling in DST is a bug. It was patched during the DS Vanilla Beta, so at some point in 2013 probably. DST was built off a pre-caves version from the beta, AND before Attack Cancelling was patched. So it smuggled its way into DST.

Based on how the current bug fix beta has been going, don't be too surprised if this cherished feature is suddenly removed from DST. 

you can cancel actions before are perform unlike in ds even with the recent patch

if you are about to hit an enemy you can move away to cancel that atack so you dont get close to the enemy 

one thing is canceling the animation that is being performed and other is what people is suggesting to DS that is being able to cancel an action before it happens

better example is how you can fight multiple enemies in dst in a more smooth way than in ds. In DS, once you press F your character wont stop until it hits the enemy

Archived