[Game Update] - 529754

• Developer

Changes

• Increased duration of Shadow Servants and Shadow Duelists.
  • Increased idle despawn timer for all Shadow Minions to 10 seconds.
  • Shadow Servants will no longer fight trying to shovel up stumps.
  • Shadow Servants will now try to pick up whole stacks of similar items at one go before returning.
  • Shadow Prison automatically despawns if the target is lost.
  • Maxwell now resists sanity drain from Dark Sword and Night Armor.
  • Shadow Duelists will go to attack if they are able to more often.
  • Added Maxwell’s idle animations to the Item Collection screen.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a crash with opening shadow containers.
  • Fixed a crash with reskinning Shadow Chester.
  • Fixed a crash with Shadow Prison not finding valid ground.
  • Fixed some targeting issues with Shadow Prison holding still shadow creatures, projectiles, and things that do not normally trigger traps.
  • Fixed bug with Shadow Minions following you through Worm Holes.
  • Fixed Beefalo trying to go to a Beefalo Bell if it was put into the shadow dimensional storage.
  • Fixed bundled items dropping to the wrong location when unwrapped in the shadow dimensional storage.

Notes for modders

• R25_REFRESH_WAXWELL release group has been added.
  • c_freecrafting() no longer ignores maximum sanity caps for Maxwell’s Shadows.

View full update

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Health 1

I do hope you guys are going to release more gameplay changing fixes tomorrow or next week. Yes the small changes today are nice, but there is still a lot of issues mentioned by many people. I do hope you consider our requests and proposals!

• Big Ups 2

Neat, glad to see some of those improvements. But I would really like to see the Duelists be viable.

It's clear they can't kite for manure, so why not just chuck that part of the ai out completely and replace it with the shadow creatures teleporting mechanic? It let's them attack continuously unless actually hit, and when they are they can avoid it. Would likely be on cooldown like the bone armor block, but it would make them far more useful.

Edited by blacknight7890
letter
  • Like 14

I think the shadow duelist are still too finicky to use. What if we can imbue the dark sword by sacrificing shadow duelisits and giving sword the extra damage. The duration of imbue will be dependent  on the number of duelists sacrificed. Forge shadow attack animation will be good for this.

Edited by eliza03
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, eliza03 said:

I think shadow duelist are still too finicky to use. What if we can imbue dark sword by sacrificing shadow duelsits and giving sword the extra damage. The duration of imbue will be dependent  on the number of duelists sacrificed. Forge shadow attack animation will be good for this.

I like this, this is cool!

11 minutes ago, Lemons Are Nice said:

Question for the people who tried the beta. Can other players use the nightmare top hat or is it only maxwell?

Only Maxwell can use the hat, but other characters can access the shared inventory through Shadow Chester or Magician's chests. 

The AI for the duelists are still too suboptimal and usually die before they get many hits in. Now that you can spawn 6, it can shred decently well until they drop, but at that point you sacrifice all your sanity and 30% of your codex for some burst DPS - wildly varying based on what you're fighting. If it has AOE like deerclops, dont even bother.

Would it be possible to code the AI to read the inputs of their target? ie when a mob is attacking, they run away. When they stop attacking, they go in to hit? Alternatively, maybe change their stats from a unreliable kiter to a tank of sorts? Sometimes taking aggro is just as effective as dealing damage.

• Like 1

Personally I think the team needs to decide if duelists are supposed to be spammed minions or strong actually supposed to survive for their whole duration minions.

As is they have the stats of cheap spam minions but cost a lot for what they can usually do to a boss

Either they should make it so we spawn more per cast for cheaper sanity and durability/let us spam even more minions out, and turn off them playing defensive at all

or make the minion cap lower and make them have damage resist/higher damage/improved ai/a cooldown based shadow dodge and possibly a way to command them

Edited by Joey9Baka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcwell said:

Shadow servants picking up items in stacks is a welcome change, but there's still a pretty big delay between picking up each item.

If they got the items faster and dropped stacks on the ground (if the maxwell is far away) it would be interesting.

• Like 2

It's wild to me that the main thing people have always complained about when it comes to maxwell did not get addressed in this rework; his shadow duelists. They shouldnt be confined to one area in my opinion especially considering they have a limited duration.

There should be a way to buff the duelists. Maybe it could be thru holding a dark sword or wearing shadow armor, strength depending on missing health, or even some late game item to be able to buff them. Anything we can do to make them viable please

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

Hello Klei

Could you please try to add the ability to choose which object to mine for shadows? Because it is not convenient when you have a lot of trees growing at your base, but some of them are young. Accordingly, in this case, playing for Maxwell, you have to chop the whole thing yourself, because the minions mine everything in a row. And it's not convenient, I guess

• Like 1