What is the the Player?

1 hour ago, asurendra said:
  Hide contents

Player is the AI, a digital copy of the mind of Ms. Director, Dr. Jacquelyn Stern.

Thats clearly understandable of some notes and the fact that all vanilla ingame messages made by person identifying herself as women

This is slightly incorrect. The player is... 

Spoiler

a digital copy of a womans mind, but it's not Jackie. The director's employee code is A001: hers is... 

Spoiler

B111.

Unless It was retconned, I think It went like this.

Spoiler

You are Olivia, a bioengineering expert, friend of Jacqueline, a physicist and head of Gravitas. Jackie hires you to work on an old project you two thought about in the past, that if succesful could result in infinite free energy for mankind. But she doesn't reveal you all the details about It and about the... "correlated" projects.

Working there you start to find out that she has been deliberately hiding from you details that could have made you quit the job, since you still have a moral compass, while she doesn't. Not anymore.

You discover the DNA stealing, the mind reading, the experiments about cloning, involving animals first, then your colleagues. You witness the formation of neutronium during the time-energy experiments.

You get mad (reasonably) and decide to speak with her, without any result. She is adamant about her goal, while you are pretty sure that Gravitas will mean disaster for the world. 

Then one day disaster happens. Earth is destroyed. A copy of your consciousness gets slapped on a printing pod in order to control it. You also get a message, because sorry, It had to be done.

Then you build a sustainabile colony... And after many, many cycles, decide to shut yourself down.

Quite the happy ending for Olivia. :wilsondisapproving:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, 6Havok9 said:

Then one day disaster happens. Earth is destroyed. A copy of your consciousness gets slapped on a printing pod in order to control it. You also get a message, because sorry, It had to be done.

Some lore entries are deleted but as I was playing during first beta, there were a message from Jackie saying something like "I am sorry, it was only way to save you".

Also there was a message to turn hourglass upside down.
They also seems to change rats into rabbits in recent entries.

5 hours ago, 6Havok9 said:

Unless It was retconned, I think It went like this.

Reveal hidden contents

You are Olivia, a bioengineering expert, friend of Jacqueline, a physicist and head of Gravitas. Jackie hires you to work on an old project you two thought about in the past, that if succesful could result in infinite free energy for mankind. But she doesn't reveal you all the details about It and about the... "correlated" projects.

Working there you start to find out that she has been deliberately hiding from you details that could have made you quit the job, since you still have a moral compass, while she doesn't. Not anymore.

You discover the DNA stealing, the mind reading, the experiments about cloning, involving animals first, then your colleagues. You witness the formation of neutronium during the time-energy experiments.

You get mad (reasonably) and decide to speak with her, without any result. She is adamant about her goal, while you are pretty sure that Gravitas will mean disaster for the world. 

Then you build a sustainabile colony... And after many, many cycles, decide to shut yourself down.

Quite the happy ending for Olivia. :wilsondisapproving:

I don't think the lore in ONI is nailed down or set in stone.  We get little nuggets and hints in the log entries, enough to make the player's imagination go wild, just like the rest of the game.  I have never even seen those log entries in game despite inspecting everything I can find.

However, one thing that is present in every Spaced Out game has been brains in jars, especially now with the Somnium Synthesizer.  So is the player a brain in a jar?  Her brain in a jar?

4 hours ago, tuxii said:

However, one thing that is present in every Spaced Out game has been brains in jars, especially now with the Somnium Synthesizer.  So is the player a brain in a jar?  Her brain in a jar?

So this game is turning into Old World Blues?

So is the player a brain in a jar?  Her brain in a jar?

Spoiler

Surely not exactly her brain. Olivia was alive by the day everything blown, and it doesnt seem like anyone had time to do anything when reactor went brrrr...  Its copy of her personality. I think its just computer program, but its possible that it physical copy of her brain too. But it seems a bit illogical as living brain need complicated life support system, and gravitas was extremely concerned about free space in their rocket (they struggling to take anything with them)

Brains in ruins was part of normal gravitas facility and dont supposed to fly anywhere

5 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

it's an episode of lost.

But I pay attention to @QuQuasar. Any new builds to inspire with? I truly hope so...! :)

:) I have started a new spaced out build, but we're only on cycle 90 so things remain a bit of a mess. The True Tiles mod is a gamechanger for aesthetics, though. I've actually got to pay attention to what I build my tiles out of now.

Actually, I've got the timelapse images (and I remembered to set them to high res this time!), so maybe I can do a bit of a running commentary in another thread.

You being the printing pod sounds rather lame to me, even if it's suggested that's what you are. I don't understand why it has to be assumed that you have to be anyone or anything specifically at all. Since the game is over when all of the colony is dead, the 'you' part could just be assumed to be the collective minds of the duplicants of the colony, since that's what you're trying to keep alive overall as the core of the gameplay.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:21 PM, ZombieDupe said:

You being the printing pod sounds rather lame to me, even if it's suggested that's what you are. I don't understand why it has to be assumed that you have to be anyone or anything specifically at all.

Because we write log, and do it from first-person view

On 10/22/2022 at 10:21 PM, ZombieDupe said:

Since the game is over when all of the colony is dead, the 'you' part could just be assumed to be the collective minds of the duplicants of the colony, since that's what you're trying to keep alive overall as the core of the gameplay.

If you read message on lost colony, you are not dead, If everyone die you go to sleep, waiting for better conditions some time in a future

On 10/21/2022 at 1:06 AM, Notecja said:

They also seems to change rats into rabbits in recent entries

Not exact. In Spaced Out we find different version of our own log records about talk with Director. And animals changes. In our original word it was rats, but we found logs of same dialogue with rabbits, raccoons, etc. After that we understand about multiple versions of same universe having slightly different history details

On 12/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, Prince Mandor said:

Because we write log, and do it from first-person view

If you read message on lost colony, you are not dead, If everyone die you go to sleep, waiting for better conditions some time in a future

My point is, it doesn't have to be explained that way at all. You can just be nothing and the printing pod is just a printer. In the animated shorts for example, it's seemingly very clear the duplicants are making decisions as a colony all by themselves.

Archived