A Little Drama + QOL + Hallowed Nights Next Week!

This is a pretty big update! Thanks KLEI!

What else can we expect this year? 1 QOL + 1 Character rework + 1 new game content update? Right? According to the roadmap

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

In addition, we will have some new Twitch Drops, Klei Rewards Link a login Bonus Item and toward the end of the month we'll have the Art and Costume submission event as well.

I very hope Wanda gets a skin from Hallowed Nights Collection! And also waiting new Hallowed skins for belongings

3 hours ago, Loonytoony said:

Nice new update coming. I also got a question. Will the stage be retrofitted into older worlds just like the moon quay island?

yes it will, it was said on the beta that the new set pieces will generate on already existing worlds. Pretty much all new content gets retrofeeded as new updates are released

I really love the QOL updates, honestly it is so much better to see this compared to new additions that i may visit once every playthrough, while i understand the idea behind populating the world and any new additions to the game are good on their own but they just can't hold a candle to QOL update that can give you more options on how you play the game.

When it comes to food changes tallbird eggs feel like they have the value they should and beefalo doesn't need to be starved anymore, eggs are a bit too strong though.

Refueling lazy forager is a step in the right direction but i would love to see this added to lazy explorer, i don't like that i spend majority of my playtime when it isn't 100% and it kind of bothers me.

Game preset "Relaxed" and recipe cards are good ideas. While we can all argue that survival games are fun because of the difficulty, let the player decide and some may enjoy that as it is always better to have easier difficulty if it means more players.

Server intention has been removed

I think this is a good move, cleans up the UI a little bit when creating a new world and looking at the server list. Good on you guys for being able to let go of things if you feel they're not contributing well to the game!

Would be nice if healing potions worked on wormwood since a potion should be different from food. 

Wigfrids recently got her diet relaxed to take more advantage of deserts.

I think Wormwood should be able to take full advantage of the hallowed nights festivities.

What will happen to old wilderness worlds? Will a florid postern just randomly appear somewhere in the map? I'm a little concerned as my gargantuan base span through a whole biome at this point. It would suck to just have it destroyed because of this update including the structures in it. Hopefully it doesn't corrupt my save file.

I hear Twitch Drop, I hear Login Bonus, but what Mr JoeW does not mention & it has me a little worried- is new Hallowed Nights skins.

I would prefer some appropriately spooky themed skins- Belongings, Character, & Weapons.

In literally every game I play that has Halloween events, I’m that one weirdo rocking the Halloween skins all year round. :) 

46 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

What will happen to old wilderness worlds? Will a florid postern just randomly appear somewhere in the map? I'm a little concerned as my gargantuan base span through a whole biome at this point. It would suck to just have it destroyed because of this update including the structures in it. Hopefully it doesn't corrupt my save file.

The qualities of the modes got translated into world settings- I assume they'll just automatically get set according to your world, but you might want to double check before launching your save.

1 hour ago, Kur0u said:

technicaly the portal is a set pice that even spawns in wilderness, you can tell it by a small green patch that somewhat looks like an "E" with 3 flowers on it, usualy sourounded by forest turf

Some of this I didn't expect you to actually implement, or to implement the way you have to be honest. Few tweaks I would suggest however.

* Change damage multiplier to be 50% less damage rather than 35%, keeps things simple, discrete and gives a clear indication to players. 35% might not even be noticeable enough to someone who has no idea about the game, even though it technically is significant, but with 50% damage reduction you know exactly what to expect, if that's indicated to the player beforehand.

* Turf-Raiser Helm, if not repairable, should be possible to repair either with a sewing kit or something else common enough, otherwise it's kind of just a wool resource sink and also, sadly, another pig skin resource sink.

* I would also suggest that you also make sewing kits both less expensive (otherwise it's 5 repairs for killing, on average, 32 spiders!) and give them a bit more durability. Less grind is always welcome.

* If you are looking to make further QOL improvements, one thing I would suggest is making the bundle wrap and not wax paper drop when a bundle is unbundled (that is a mouthful) as it's an annoyance to rebundle, and the grass, believe it or not, can be scarce for multiple reasons and it is a pain to keep restocked just for that very late into the game. Making grass itself abundant would be a gamechanger as well, it's insane that it is as scarce as it is, especially later into the game, though that may require some world regrowth/generation changes.

* Consider buffing the health, and/or sanity regeneration of some more common crock pot dishes, like meatballs, ratatouille and fist full of jam. Sanity regeneration from hats could also do with a fair buff to even come close to comparing to something like the tamoshanter, which is both good for keeping up sanity and retaining heat, and a cost reduction could also be less (12 flowers are better picked for sanity than making a garland thereafter, the process never really made sense, sanity regeneration from picking flowers alone just seems too good given it's 5 per flower picked by contrast).

Also well done on some UI improvements with the game mode selection. Even some of the stuff like all the theater stuff I'm not personally too interested in functionally, is remarkably high quality and fitting for the game aesthetically. Even though I do think there is a wrong direction you have taken over the course of the game and am not convinced will be shaken off any time soon (though that's a whole another extensive topic about Don't Starve's gameplay loop), with this one, well done, keep it up. Maybe this game has some hope, and after all these years, will get some more substance and QOL to play to have fun, not to grind for the hope of fun.

The Lazy Forager can now be repaired with nightmare fuel.

Finally.

That is all.

13 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

12 flowers are better picked for sanity than making a garland thereafter

But you have to pick the flowers to make the garland. I've seen this sort of argument for years and it never makes sense, how is it better to pick flowers for sanity than to make a garland if you HAVE to pick flowers to make a garland? :/

1 hour ago, sylvia wander o said:

But you have to pick the flowers to make the garland. I've seen this sort of argument for years and it never makes sense, how is it better to pick flowers for sanity than to make a garland if you HAVE to pick flowers to make a garland? :/

What? The point is that the whole sanity restoration method via garland makes no sense and works backwards. If you just pick the flowers, there is no point in making the garland. That is my point. The fact that garland restores very little and the fact that picking the flowers to make it already takes care of your sanity issues anyway, are two compounded reasons for why the item has been seen as trash. If picking flowers restored 1 sanity each, and then keeping the gardland on you restored like, I dunno, at least half the amount of sanity that the tamoshanter restores per second by default for example, you would strike balance just right on that, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

What? The point is that the whole sanity restoration method via garland makes no sense and works backwards. If you just pick the flowers, there is no point in making the garland. That is my point. The fact that garland restores very little and the fact that picking the flowers to make it already takes care of your sanity issues anyway, are two compounded reasons for why the item has been seen as trash.

one does not exclude the other. These two sources of sanity aren't in competition. In fact, they're the opposite, in tandem with one another. You pick 12 flowers for sanity, and then you squeeze just a little bit more sanity out of the flowers with the garland. I'm sorry, but its not that hard to wrap ones head around.

There is an argument to be made that ANY hat is better than Garland.

So you pick 12 petals to make it, already have your sanity, but wearing it above anything else (even a footballhat in case you get caught by surprise) is wasteful when there are so many better passive effects to choose from for a headslot.

Archived