Winona needs Wortox-like tweaks in next character refresh

She is okay overall, but her spotlight is way too useless right now, beside she also lacks direct connection to her buildings, ultimately making 90% of her gameplay "Wilson with faster crafting speed". I don't think she needs any more gadgets though, but actual mechanic that affects her gameplay in everyday life? Definitely 

I think winona always suffered from “not very fun” itis. Its not that shes weak or unviable, her catapults are amazing. But they’re all she has. And if she makes machines just having a catapult is pretty lame. Shes got nothing that makes her actually fun to play is her real problem. Of course she could get power tooks for a gathering boost, or something simple like that, but that wont improve her play time, she needs something else that makes her unique. Preferably interesting machines, like a drill that randomly produces minerals in moderate quantities, including gems. 
just something she can do that other people cant. A way to make a portable generator and a weaker portable catapult would be nice as well.

4 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

I think winona always suffered from “not very fun” itis. Its not that shes weak or unviable, her catapults are amazing. But they’re all she has. And if she makes machines just having a catapult is pretty lame. Shes got nothing that makes her actually fun to play is her real problem. Of course she could get power tooks for a gathering boost, or something simple like that, but that wont improve her play time, she needs something else that makes her unique. Preferably interesting machines, like a drill that randomly produces minerals in moderate quantities, including gems. 
just something she can do that other people cant. A way to make a portable generator and a weaker portable catapult would be nice as well.

Fast travel machine will be good
Like train?

She has so much potential, but feels so dull to play as. The thing I feel most excited about while playing as her is to finish building what I want, to switch to another character. Which is a big shame since I like her quotes, skins and voice a lot. More tools (preferably mostly ones only she, and maybe WX with greatly lowered efficiency, can use) would be nice.

Some ideas (Mix and match any, I think all of these at the same time would be too much though):
- A way for her to tweak a generator, making it, and things in it's range more effective. Some things it could do:
Generators energy last longer.
Generators affect a greater range, allowing for it to reach structures further away.
Catapults within a tweaked generator range have greater range, and attack rate.
Spotlights affect a greater range, greater "movespeed", and have better AI (such as players that won't be attacked by Charlie have lower priority).

- A tool (maybe made with a green gem?) that allows her to repair broken things (maybe this tool can be fixed with her tape?). Things it could affect:
Burnt structures (which includes her character specific builds).
Moon stone.
Broken clockwork piles.
Boats.

- Changes to her spotlights would also be appreciated.
Maybe a change in the recipe? Fireflies are a bit expensive for what it does currently.
Maybe it doesn't need a generator to function? And it has its own battery that lasts a good while (10? 20? 40? days).
Allow Winona to socket gems into the spotlight, giving different hues, and special effects to players in the light (Red gives heat? Blue cools players down? Yellow greatly increases the light range? Orange grants a movespeed buff? Purple deals electric damage? Green increases crafting speed?), spotlight socketed with gems malfunction after a while (a day?) and fall off it, making so Winona has to go socket it again.

Point is, there's so much she could do. But instead she does very little, and of course, her presence isn't needed after everything is already built.

34 minutes ago, HiraaCaan said:

Fast travel machine will be good
Like train?

Oh oh, once in the the Don't starve Latinos Facebook community I saw a really cool artwork about Winona in a unicycle-motorcycle that was fueled with nitre, jaja it looked really cool. Wait, I just checked out, it wasn't a nitre generator, I was a G.E.M.erator.

I would like her to be able to re-pack her structures, so they become an item like Warly's portable crock pot. This means that you can carry and quickly deploy a setup whenever needed, which sounds more engaging than the build-and-forget system she has now.
Being able to re-pack and deploy her structures would be a Winona only thing, of course.

Also I think her spotlight should allow you to pick in what direction you want it to point, so it could act as a way to see further up when sailing at night. A bigger light radius and an on-off switch would help greatly too.

This could be controversial but a way to fix non-magical tools, armor and weapons with another of the same item would probably work for her, it means that if you have two 3% gold pickaxes, you can make a whole new one out of them. This means thematically a few things:

• You always need to craft or obtain new tools, armor or weapons, its not that they are eternal and you "duck tape them", because to fix one you need another of the same kind.
  • it would give purpose to the low durability weapons, armor and tools laying around
  • Winona would be more efficient at work, which is kind of her thing. In an indirect way its like giving her stuff a 50% extra durability.

Of course there is also room for new stuff for her to automate processes. But starting from the above changes at least to me, would feel like a lot more engaging, fun, and interesting to stay as the character.

2 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Tweaks definitely won't be enough. She needs more craftables and another innate perk. The same goes for Woodie and Willow. Winona contributed more to WX's utility than she has to herself. 

Walter could use another look as well as I feel he falls under the same category as woodie more fun than useful.

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

It's interesting how standards for good character keep rising with each rework. 

It is called power creep and if it contiues like this DST will end up pretty stale soon. Yes, Winona could definitely use a buff and some love, but please make it intelligent (long ago I gave a suggestion but I won't repeat it in this post).

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I mean yea the power creep has gotten crazy I mean look at Wickerbottom now even with how she turned out and some still being unsatisfied she's worlds above the earlier refreshed characters like Willow and Winona.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

It is called power creep and if it contiues like this DST will end up pretty stale soon. Yes, Winona could definitely use a buff and some love, but please make it intelligent (long ago I gave a suggestion but I won't repeat it in this post).

I dont think winonas particular situation would be a case of power creep. she is plenty powerful, shes just not fun. I do agree that theres a good bit of power creep going on in dont starve right now, but assuming that the characters will only be reworked once, it should slow sown a good bit. One feature that has definitely helped with power creep is the lack of a new “most powerful” equipment being added. Dark swords still do the most damage. They have glass cutters as competitors, but those arent prototypable, and additionally, they have lower durability, while giving the same amount of damage per swing. The strongest aspects of the game are honestly some of the older parts, with honey and meat farms being particularly overpowered. 

TLDR: theres a bit of power creep, mostly in the form of the new characters, but many characters actually have been nerfed in important ways. Winona is not op or weak, shes boring

17 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

TLDR: theres a bit of power creep, mostly in the form of the new characters, but many characters actually have been nerfed in important ways. Winona is not op or weak, shes boring

I disagree here the strongest power creep has come from the main cast refreshes and I can't think of a notable nerf outside of Wolfgang and i feel like he got a fair amount of buffs to compensate.

winona feels like she doesnt have enough tools for what her theme is, and with the light being so terrible and getting worse by the second (lux aeterna anyone?) she needs cooler gadgets, not more useful ones, just cooler and niche.

she should get a light that rivals current light related perks like wickers and WX

a perk that does something that no other item can do 

and an invention that can be call just for fun 

8 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

2 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

It is called power creep and if it contiues like this DST will end up pretty stale soon.

I disagree.

I personally had high expectations for Winona's rework and was utterly disappointed with the result (and I shared that opinion on the forums).

The catapults are the ultimate mob/boss farmer but don't require Winona after making them and since she had nothing interesting going for her, she became a pick-and-swap character and only became worse over time as other reworks/new characters were just more interesting than Winona.

They have now 2 years of experience with the reworks now, so I hope she gets another look since she 100% deserves it. The most amazing trailers in the game yet is one of the worst reworks.

Anything useful really, tweaks, more character crafts, she's just not worth playing long-term from my experience. It's not a good thing that when people hear the term "swap character", the first one they think about is her and her one useful structure anyone can use.

I was especially bummed out when JoeW mentioned she'd get some love but... just not in the form of gameplay, more on the lore side of things.

I really really WANT to like Winona. I like her instrument, I like her personality, I just don't like anything in game though. Giving her an actual downside would be wonderful, right now just (slightly hungrier) is simple and really boring. While I don't find Wickerbottom very interesting I did love the Refresh where they added so many more books.
Giving Winona more creations could be awesome and make damn good use out of various niche items. I remember in another post someone said Winona is a builder not an inventor which I understand but literally on her description page, it states "Invents her own gadgets".
I have no idea how you would give Winona a real impactful downside to the likes of Wormwood, Warly, Wanda, (or Wickerbottom's shadow spawn when insane). I personally love Kiss/Curse or fundamental game changing perks so the more the merrier in my eyes.

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

Didn't she invent Jimmy and revamp WX to have slots for circuits? 

No idea, in the WX short it showed she worked on WX but outside of that, idk if she did all of that. I wouldn't put it past her if she did though. She's one bright bulb.

46 minutes ago, Evelo said:

I really really WANT to like Winona. I like her instrument, I like her personality, I just don't like anything in game though. Giving her an actual downside would be wonderful, right now just (slightly hungrier) is simple and really boring. While I don't find Wickerbottom very interesting I did love the Refresh where they added so many more books.
Giving Winona more creations could be awesome and make damn good use out of various niche items. I remember in another post someone said Winona is a builder not an inventor which I understand but literally on her description page, it states "Invents her own gadgets".
I have no idea how you would give Winona a real impactful downside to the likes of Wormwood, Warly, Wanda, (or Wickerbottom's shadow spawn when insane). I personally love Kiss/Curse or fundamental game changing perks so the more the merrier in my eyes.

Ehhh maybe i am the person you are talking about :oops:?, i made a post not long ago about her but as i said in that post i used to main Winona even before the rework, and her original concept in game was just a girl with extracrafting speed, i dont like to see my girl as a copy of wagstaff like some people do, she deserves to be original! She is a builder that can make some really basic gadgets as generators and catapults, a handy woman yeah!

Archived