Winona needs Wortox-like tweaks in next character refresh

19 minutes ago, Evelo said:

The way it is now Winona just isn't that much fun despite being useful so plenty of people feel obligated to swap to her for her catapults then swap back. Taking away that feature seems ridiculous to me so just make Winona fun so people who want to play her have more fun with her than they do now.

Seems like we both share a common point!

Even without her gadgets, she still isn't "fun" (in quotes cause I don't want this to loop back to the "what is fun?" thing from before).

My point is that the problem gets even worse because the stuff that Klei added to make her fun can be completely disassociated from her. I know you disagree with me on this, but for me, the portal HAS to be taken into account because for the reasons I mentioned before. 

3 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

My point is that the problem gets even worse because the stuff that Klei added to make her fun can be completely disassociated from her. I know you disagree with me on this, but for me, the portal HAS to be taken into account because for the reasons I mentioned before. 

Perfectly understandable. Hopefully Klei does something with her at some point so everyone is happy. Till then we just sit and wait. :juggling:

That argument about whether or not she actually invented her craftables from a while back brought up something important: what should the focus of Winona’s character be?

Wickerbottom’s rework showed that adding more craftables can absolutely work if thought out carefully. Wickerbottom’s set of perks was her items, so adding more items (and a downside relating her character to them) was enough to revitalize her. Theoretically, a Winona mini-rework could go down that path by adding new craftables and buffing her old ones; regardless of swap-character status, what she currently is not enough to make a toolkit that can serve as a play style.

I personally don’t think this is how Klei should handle a re-rework for her, though. At the moment, Winona is less significant than her tools—despite being a very significant character in the story—and her minimal inherent perks only serve to hide her very distinct and likable personality.

She’s a simple woman who’ll work herself to the bone until she does what needs to be done, but this is only shown through a perk that most people see as an annoyance

She has a huge presence everywhere but in-game, where it’s arguably most important. When it comes to somebody so important, this needs to change.

2 hours ago, Castaccio said:

That argument about whether or not she actually invented her craftables from a while back brought up something important: what should the focus of Winona’s character be?

Wickerbottom’s rework showed that adding more craftables can absolutely work if thought out carefully. Wickerbottom’s set of perks was her items, so adding more items (and a downside relating her character to them) was enough to revitalize her. Theoretically, a Winona mini-rework could go down that path by adding new craftables and buffing her old ones; regardless of swap-character status, what she currently is not enough to make a toolkit that can serve as a play style.

I personally don’t think this is how Klei should handle a re-rework for her, though. At the moment, Winona is less significant than her tools—despite being a very significant character in the story—and her minimal inherent perks only serve to hide her very distinct and likable personality.

She’s a simple woman who’ll work herself to the bone until she does what needs to be done, but this is only shown through a perk that most people see as an annoyance

She has a huge presence everywhere but in-game, where it’s arguably most important. When it comes to somebody so important, this needs to change.

As i explained before i think the focus should be her true unique ability. Idk if you played as Nona before her rework but back then she just had her extra craft speed(with no hungry penalty btw) and for some reason klei nerfed her lmao( i do believe they did this to make her more interesting), after that Winona became the catapults girl. Its a little sad to be honest, a perk as special as hers just got ignored by klei(they nerfed it lmao), instead of turning winona into the builder character that she essentially was from the start klei just gave her catapults and tried to turn her into wagstaff 2.0(according to some people). Right now i can just hope they dont nerf her again. xc

It's odd to say the least (the way I see it anyway) she's not really worth picking early on for her one good craft since it takes a lot of resources to set up a decent amount of catapults, and, at that point in the game I'm more focused on surviving. And by the time I've already established myself I probably upgraded the portal and at that point I'd only want to play as her to either build the catapults, bulk craft things, and.... make tape? I guess?

I don't know, I just want a good reason to play as her besides her personality. I'm honestly really surprised by the fact they haven't done anything else with her since her initial rework (in terms of gameplay). Besides adding miniscule things like having tape plug leaks in boats and identifying Wagstaff's tools.

(Both fit her but... aren't very useful since the recipe for boat patches was made better/easier and you can figure out the tool names after a few tries at the minigame). :wilson_dilemma:

Archived