Don't Starve Together Mythbusters Series!

Don't starve has always been a game of experimentation for me  There is so many things you learn to do that you would never think of.
This is a compilation of some things I saw that were strange but not strange enough to put in their own video.
So I have decided to start up a special series that ties into my love of science and experimentation
and I shall call it the.
 Don't Starve Together Mythbusters series

Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 1
Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 2 Fire Edition
Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 3 Thermal Stone Edition!
Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 4 Totally Normal Edition!
Don't starve Together Mythbusters 5 Ai and Mobs Edition!
Don't starve Together Depth worms The Ultimate Farmer
Don't starve Together Maximizing The lureplant!
Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 6 Bosses Edition!
Don't Starve Together Mythbusters 7 Beefalo!
If you have any ideas you want to see tested go ahead and comment on the video  and I will take a look at them and give my seal of approval

Seal of approval.png

You should include all the usual myths (well-known to be myths among forumers) because playerbase outside of forums is much less informed.

Such as:

- in order to tame a beefalo one needs to maintain it's hunger (300 per day); [false]

- killing wee mac tusk prolongs respawn time for mac tusk (+ the same belief about tallbirds and their eggs); [false for mac tusk, true for birds]

- pig king wakes up in lights out world at the start of the day/at the start of full moon; [false]

- oasis desert makes everything immune to smoldering; [true, but only when you stand inside sandstorm]

- koalephant and volt goat can be contained as long as wall has gaps 1 wall units long or less; [true for koalephants, false for goats]

- moleworms destroy minerals they steal; [false]

- player can fight Twins of Terror in lights out for infinite amount of time; [false, they despawn at the start of the 3rd "day"]

- thermal stones and clothing stack; [false]

- gear with winter insulation negatively affects gear with summer insulation and vice versa when used at the same time; [false, unless gear specifically is made to reduce appropriate insulation, i.e. beards, Willow, Wes]

- water balloons can make mob wet; [false for everything except Dragonfly and players]

- barren turf (ground with removed turf) is immune to eyeplants; [false, hello eyeplants killing player at cave entrance]

Another category is what was possible in the past, but is impossible now:

- one can remove dangling debth dweller nests by burning object under it's invisible center; [false for DST]

- it's possible to find tumbleweed spawner using unplaced structure; [false for DST]

- stunlock strategies that used burning object under mobs and mob's panic; [needs testing; ewecus and spider queen are the most interesting examples to me]

- thermal stones in backpack are much more efficient than in the inventory (optionally don't need further maintainance) with other conditions being equal; [false for both DS and DST, but I heard that was a thing in DS at some point]

- moleworms steal thermal stones; [false for both DS and DST, but that was true at some point at least in DS]

- meat on drying racks doesn't spoil; [false, but I heard that was/is true for vanilla DS]

Also I'm not sure how widespread that is, but I encountered strategy based on false knowledge:

- to preserve meat as long as possible it's better to keep it raw as long as possible and cook last minute (with only ice box available to aid with food storage); [true, except for monster meat and any item that lasts more than 2 times longer in cook form compared to raw form; presence of salt box makes it true for monster meat]

Plus there is category that involves multiple items:

- list of structures/items that are able to burn;

- list of structures/items that sink into water;

- list of structures/items that can be eaten by lureplant.

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:
Spoiler

You should include all the usual myths (well-known to be myths among forumers) because playerbase outside of forums is much less informed.

Such as:

- in order to tame a beefalo one needs to maintain it's hunger (300 per day); [false]

- killing wee mac tusk prolongs respawn time for mac tusk (+ the same belief about tallbirds and their eggs); [false for mac tusk, true for birds]

- pig king wakes up in lights out world at the start of the day/at the start of full moon; [false]

- oasis desert makes everything immune to smoldering; [true, but only when you stand inside sandstorm]

- player can fight Twins of Terror in lights out for infinite amount of time; [false, they despawn at the start of the 3rd "day"]

- gear with winter insulation negatively affects gear with summer insulation and vice versa when used at the same time; [false, unless gear specifically is made to reduce appropriate insulation, i.e. beards, Willow, Wes]

- water balloons can make mob wet; [false for everything except Dragonfly and players]

- barren turf (ground with removed turf) is immune to eyeplants; [false, hello eyeplants killing player at cave entrance]

Another category is what was possible in the past, but is impossible now:
- koalephant and volt goat can be contained as long as wall has gaps 1 wall units long or less; [true for koalephants, false for goats]

- one can remove dangling debth dweller nests by burning object under it's invisible center; [false for DST]

- it's possible to find tumbleweed spawner using unplaced structure; [false for DST]

Also I'm not sure how widespread that is, but I encountered strategy based on false knowledge:

- to preserve meat as long as possible it's better to keep it raw as long as possible and cook last minute (with only ice box available to aid with food storage); [true, except for monster meat and any item that lasts more than 2 times longer in cook form compared to raw form; presence of salt box makes it true for monster meat]

Plus there is category that involves multiple items:

- list of structures/items that are able to burn;

- list of structures/items that sink into water;

- list of structures/items that can be eaten by lureplant.

Spoiler

- stunlock strategies that used burning object under mobs and mob's panic; [needs testing; ewecus and spider queen are the most interesting examples to me]
- moleworms steal thermal stones; [false for both DS and DST, but that was true at some point at least in DS]
- moleworms destroy minerals they steal; [false]

Thank you for the narrowing of ideas!  There are a few of these I have done already  and others that i feel deserve their own videos
I did split some of these up for categories though because some of what is suggested are ones that did exist  and was patched and
others are just old strategies from vanilla before they added reign of giants.

These are ones above I have already covered in some of my previous videos on My hitstun video and my moleworm creature facts video.

Spoiler

- thermal stones in backpack are much more efficient than in the inventory (optionally don't need further maintainance) with other conditions being equal; [false for both DS and DST, but I heard that was a thing in DS at some point]
- thermal stones and clothing stack; [false]

Thermal stones Are actually very detailed and totally deserve a video on their own. I remember there was a post here on the forums that actually went into full detail about the thermal stones and when insulation helps. I remember the consensus being that Thermals provide the most benefit when at max insulation. plus there is always a benefit to having both insulation and a thermal stone.

If the intent is to dispel disinformation you could address thermal stones not stacking with clothes, the alarming clock swinging slow enough where Wolfgang outdamages it, butterflies spawning based on players nearby rather than flowers nearby (so picking flowers has no impact on their spawning as long as you leave at least one there), and Maxwell being the fastest lumberjack with Woodie being the slowest.

If the intent is to show weird things you could show that you can smuggle slurpers to the surface if you wear them on your head. 

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If the intent is to dispel disinformation you could address thermal stones not stacking with clothes, the alarming clock swinging slow enough where Wolfgang outdamages it, butterflies spawning based on players nearby rather than flowers nearby (so picking flowers has no impact on their spawning as long as you leave at least one there), and Maxwell being the fastest lumberjack with Woodie being the slowest.

If the intent is to show weird things you could show that you can smuggle slurpers to the surface if you wear them on your head. 

Well a bit of both yeah. primarily this is for stuff that would not fit into a video on its own so I am kind of chunking it into pieces.
 Right now I got enough to do a fire related mythbusters. so im doing that right now.

There's one particular bug/myth that I encountered again two times recently, I don't know if anyone knows why, but lighting let's say 40 stacks of gunpowder next to a tentapillar won't damage the tentapillar. I don't know if it has to do with how old the world is, or if it's just random. So I always have to first light the gunpowder, then immediately hit the tentapillar and then back off, and using this method it will always take down the tentapillar. I love using gunpowder on tentapillars, so if anyone knows why this happens, or if detective Esai can figure it out, please let me know. :encouragement:

On 7/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, Pig Princess said:

oasis desert makes everything immune to smoldering; [true, but only when you stand inside sandstorm]

On 7/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, Pig Princess said:

water balloons can make mob wet; [false for everything except Dragonfly and players]

What the... I did NOT know this, first myths busted for me! (Although the second one seems a bit dumb, honestly, why would you not allow waterballoons to make mobs wet??)

8 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

What the... I did NOT know this, first myths busted for me! (Although the second one seems a bit dumb, honestly, why would you not allow waterballoons to make mobs wet??)

water balloons give a fixed ammount of wetness but everything except players and df lacks of a wetness meter so they arent affected

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

water balloons give a fixed ammount of wetness but everything except players and df lacks of a wetness meter so they arent affected

I remember showing up to a Fuelweaver fight with waterballoons like an idiot...

13 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Game would lag when it rained, especially frog rains, so they just made most things' wetness based on the wetness of the world. 

18 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

I remember showing up to a Fuelweaver fight with waterballoons like an idiot...

Honestly that's 100% on the game and not on you.

Since this mechanic is not explained at all and poorly showcased indicating that "oh yea i can wet bosses and enemies too" while it's just ONE boss that can be wetted with balloons but everything else cannot.

4 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Honestly that's 100% on the game and not on you.

Since this mechanic is not explained at all and poorly showcased indicating that "oh yea i can wet bosses and enemies too" while it's just ONE boss that can be wetted with balloons but everything else cannot.

I like how none of you questions if I had anything BESIDES waterballoons

5 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

Myth: Gems in the statues in the ruins can change. Or a gemless statue can get a gem. 

No idea if true or not, but I don't feel like it's true. I don't even know which stage of the nightmare cycle could do that.

that was a thing in DS when you closed and launched again the world so maybe some people still thinking that can happend in dst

Archived