Does Warly need a touch-up?

Warly  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Is Warly a good character?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would he be a good character without his spices and buff dishes?

• Yes
    • No

33 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Warly in shipwrecked gains 33% more stats from the first time eating the dish but also drains hunger 33% faster

Warly still loses hunger faster (and has never had any negative modifiers to damage received or sanity lost).

I agree that warly could use a touch up but nerfing his downside, the main (and imo the only) interesting feature that dictates his playstyle is exactly the wrong way to go about it.

I've said so before in a thread i made (where i think i was a little too hard on garlic powder) but i think warly needs to have his repeat diish timer increased to 3 or 4 days and have a scaling speed boost that increases depending on how many dishes he remembers (he could say something like "i've got a spring in my step" or whatever whenever he eats an unremembered dish). not only would it make him more interesting and play around his theme of variety; but it would also give him a boost towards kiting, making up for his difficulty healing in a manner similar to wormwood. The increased time spent gathering ingredients from a multiple of sources would be offset somewhat by him being able to get around much quicker. Having both a harsher punishment towards players who just repeat the same dishes as well as a reward for players who diversify their palate is much better at getting players to have a varied diet, whilst also giving warly more interesting upsides that better fit his gameplay theme, a field in which i feel he is somewhat lacking. Also it gives him a meaningful upside that only he can use, solving the switch character issue for those that care about that sort of thing.

it also helps me not die because i suck at kiting but we don't need to talk about that

Warly is still pretty fun to play and is in a WAY better position than Winona, since her main stick is catapults and fast crafting everything you need once before swapping.

If Warly had additional innate perks (aka perks that stayed with him), it would make a good character even better since it'd give an additional reason to stay as him rather than just mass craft spice foods and volt goat jelly.

I like how, according to the community, Wolfgang needed 2 entire reworks because he wasn't fun whereas Warly only needs a minor touch-up despite being one of the least played characters in DST. You can't convince me that's not at least a little unfair.

My man's only perk is only good for being bundled away to the characters you actually want to play, and those that stick around only do so because of either his aesthetic or the challenge. He really has next to nothing.

3 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

I like how, according to the community, Wolfgang needed 2 entire reworks because he wasn't fun whereas Warly only needs a minor touch-up despite being one of the least played characters in DST. You can't convince me that's not at least a little unfair.

My man's only perk is only good for being bundled away to the characters you actually want to play, and those that stick around only do so because of either his aesthetic or the challenge. He really has next to nothing.

I fully agree! I want a more fun Warly.. unfortunately I don’t have many fun ideas to suggest to make him more fun, but something other than everyone else’s personal Chef would be nice.

55 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

Wolfgang's only perk is killing bosses then swapping to the character you actually want to play. Looks like he needs a third rework. 

TLDR: warly could use losing the mill and seasoning requirement to craft, and could use more space-efficient items for meals. maybe additional use to seasoning powders.

i feel his real downsides are unlisted ones. Having to dedicate spots for a variety of different dishes in order to venture out is an issue.
With Wigfrid or Wolfgang or any other character, i can bring like 10 perogies, 2 meatballs and maybe like 8 potato puree. With Warly, i can make a bunch of separate dishes to equate to that, but unfortunately, that goes from having 3 recovery items in inventory, to somewhere like 8 items. Not to mention spoilage rates can get pretty fast with flexed dishes like banana pops.

i think perhaps an item exclusive to Warly like a tackle box but with refrigeration and only holding dishes or ingredients could help solve this.

another unlisted one being having to carry all the portable items (grinder and seasoning) if you actually want to utilize his upsides; basically additional craft stations. Like a parallels would be if wigfrid had to go to station if she wanted to craft her songs, or WX needing to be in a special station etc. It's also kinda lame u cant do interesting stuff with the ground up seasonings other than just add to dish for bonus effect. I would love if you could get super effective salt that works on dishes to restore their freshness too.

there used to be other unlisted downsides, but i really feel the Reap Sow update solved a lot of those RNG issues for warly, which was VERY NICE.

3 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Make Winona able to dismantle her buildings and set them up at will like Warly's crockpots

she needs more imo, only 2 buildings which one of them is to feed the other one is really bland

3 hours ago, Owlrust said:

i guess every character except wilson, wigfrid and wendy need a rework 

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Wolfgang's only perk is killing bosses then swapping to the character you actually want to play. Looks like he needs a third rework. 

You'd kill bosses more often than cook as Warly once in two-three game-years for 5-10 mins before swapping back.

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Warly still loses hunger faster (and has never had any negative modifiers to damage received or sanity lost).

Dst Warly loses it 20% faster and makes all stats of a dish decrease on repeat however for shipwrecked Warly the negative modifiers came from food not combat for example eating a food that boosted a stat and removed another would make it's positive effect go down and it's negative effect that removed stats increase on repeat eatting.

Honestly, the portal lives rent-free in too many people’s heads. Not that I don’t think early could use an extra perk, but people who use it as the goto argument against a specific subset of characters are exhausting at this point.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Really starting to consider making a poll should we remove the celestial portal since it seems to be negatively impacting so many people's play experiences.

Less so the portal and more so characters who are designed with only perks that can be used by anyone at a later time 

1 hour ago, b l a n k said:

Yes, the celestial portal was a mistake. It should be put into the world settings, and disabled by default.

So effectively no changes unless your on a Kiel server?

18 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

Less so the portal and more so characters who are designed with only perks that can be used by anyone at a later time 

Doubtful unless Warly gets something at the level of high tier perk(for example alarming clock) levels of impact or the portal gets removed people will still echo this statement it seems.

2 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Without the portal you can't switch to make use of those perks. And why does it even matter that you can switch characters to make use of more perks? That applies to literally every character. Switch to Warly to make some dishes then to Winona to make some catapults the to Wolfgang to fight a boss then to Maxwell to get some lumber then to Wes to look baller af. It isn't a problem with Warly's dishes, it's a problem with the portal. That is, if it is a problem at all, which I don't think it is.

Warly can get a 20, 50, 80, or even 200% damage bonus. He can do work actions faster. He can be immune to rain, cold, and heat without using a slot. He can emit light without using a slot. He can swap his health and sanity. He can do all of that and more all by himself. How on Earth does he have any problems? That is so much. 

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Really starting to consider making a poll should we remove the celestial portal since it seems to be negatively impacting so many people's play experiences.

It's not the Celestial Portal; it's how Klei designed characters without taking the Portal into consideration.

There are many characters where the main thing that characters have to them STAY with them and there are some where the Portal severs their perks entirely from them.

I don't really understand why Klei removed his bonus stats from foods.

You aren't rewarded anymore for eating unique foods, you are only punished for eating repeats dishes.

IMO that's all he really deserves to have.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Without the portal you can't switch to make use of those perks. And why does it even matter that you can switch characters to make use of more perks? That applies to literally every character. Switch to Warly to make some dishes then to Winona to make some catapults the to Wolfgang to fight a boss then to Maxwell to get some lumber then to Wes to look baller af. It isn't a problem with Warly's dishes, it's a problem with the portal. That is, if it is a problem at all, which I don't think it is.

Warly can get a 20, 50, 80, or even 200% damage bonus. He can do work actions faster. He can be immune to rain, cold, and heat without using a slot. He can emit light without using a slot. He can swap his health and sanity. He can do all of that and more all by himself. How on Earth does he have any problems? That is so much. 

I wouldn't say that it applies to every character. You can't be Wolfgang with Maxwell's puppets and the ability to use Abigail. You can be Wolfgang next to Winona's catapults while juiced up on some spicy chaud froid. That's not to say that it is a bad thing to be able to swap characters. Swapping characters is great, especially for solo players. I use it frequently when I get bored of character A and want to play as character B. I also love the upsides that both Warly and Winona have, and wouldn't want anything that they currently have to be removed. Frankly, it's more of an issue with Winona than it is with Warly since, as you've said, Warly is REALLY powerful.

The issue with Warly is that this incredible power comes at the cost of really needing to know your stuff. For veterans, it's not really a problem, but new players can't just pick up Warly and be fine. Learning both the character and farming is what rewards you with all of those nifty upsides you mentioned. There isn't any incentive to actually stick to Warly though. Playing as Wilson and swapping to Warly to make his stuff and then back to Wilson is better off than just playing Warly that whole time, because Wilson isn't challenging to manage and you still get all the benefits of having learned the character.

2 hours ago, lakhnish said:

It's not the Celestial Portal; it's how Klei designed characters without taking the Portal into consideration.

There are many characters where the main thing that characters have to them STAY with them and there are some where the Portal severs their perks entirely from them.

But it's the celestial portal that makes this a issue to people and there's nothing you can do but give the character a very powerful personal perk or remove the portal entirely to make people feel better it seems the issue at hand is that people don't like that Warly shares his perk even while not present therefore the way to fix it for them without adding fluff would be to remove the portal as it is the problem which is what this whole thing comes down to multiple people keep citing the portal as the issue they just don't want to lose the portal in the process. 

Archived