Does Warly need a touch-up?

Warly  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Is Warly a good character?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would he be a good character without his spices and buff dishes?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Psychic Chicken said:

What if Warly's food spoiled inside bundling wraps (but lasted 5x longer compared to inventory) and you can only season food with a spoil timer? This would encourage staying as Warly without completely ruining the spoil times.

While we're on the topic of "swap characters", maybe every 20 days or so, Winona's generators stop functioning and Winona can fix it with no cost by clicking on it?

Those changes sound unnecessary and more of an annoyance than anything.

What if Warly's food spoiled inside bundling wraps (but lasted 5x longer compared to inventory) and you can only season food with a spoil timer? This would encourage staying as Warly without completely ruining the spoil times.

While we're on the topic of "swap characters", maybe every 20 days or so, Winona's generators stop functioning and Winona can fix it with no cost by clicking on it?

Speaking of character nerfs so the portal can live...

12 hours ago, Cheggf said:

What if you didn't use the portal if you don't like it? This would do literally nothing for the characters and just have you use slightly more purple gems. 

I don't dislike the portal, I was suggesting something for the Warly/Winona players who want the characters to be more viable to stick with but I guess that suggestion isn't going anywhere at this point.

35 minutes ago, Psychic Chicken said:

I don't dislike the portal, I was suggesting something for the Warly/Winona players who want the characters to be more viable to stick with but I guess that suggestion isn't going anywhere at this point.

What is up with everyone saying Warly isn't viable? He has the most upsides in the game. You guys love to talk about how nobody can play Warly because the portal is so strong, but in all my time on Klei servers most of the time the portal doesn't even get repaired and when it does people might use it like once. Not once have I ever seen someone switch to Warly, bundle a bunch of food, then switch off Warly. Just about every server I go on has at least one Warly join even if I don't count myself but nobody is ever doing these shenanigans you act like are mandatory and ever prevalent. It takes a ton of time and effort to mass up all the mats required for this. 

This is literally a made up and imaginary problem, it's only in your head. The vast majority of people are not repairing the postern, the majority of those who do are not abusing it, and only a portion of those who abuse it are going through all the effort to mass up Warly stuff (which, if you're at the point where you can spend a ton of time massing Warly stuff to then switch to and off of him, you're clearly far enough where there's nothing left to do so you having Warly food isn't this huge thing). Nearly nobody is doing that and those who do are choosing to. It is entirely their fault if they do it and then choosing to do it then acting like it's their only option is ridiculous. 

Your suggestion for Warly was a direct nerf to Warly and a potiental annoyance to Winnona players who play in multiplayer for the sake of the portal my big issues with these suggestions are ththe mindset that giving nerfs to these characters that might possibly stop people from using their perks when not playing them is better than removing the source of the issue this doesn't lead to a better experience for people who play them.

57 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

What is up with everyone saying Warly isn't viable? He has the most upsides in the game. You guys love to talk about how nobody can play Warly because the portal is so strong, but in all my time on Klei servers most of the time the portal doesn't even get repaired and when it does people might use it like once. Not once have I ever seen someone switch to Warly, bundle a bunch of food, then switch off Warly. Just about every server I go on has at least one Warly join even if I don't count myself but nobody is ever doing these shenanigans you act like are mandatory and ever prevalent. It takes a ton of time and effort to mass up all the mats required for this. 

This is literally a made up and imaginary problem, it's only in your head. The vast majority of people are not repairing the postern, the majority of those who do are not abusing it, and only a portion of those who abuse it are going through all the effort to mass up Warly stuff (which, if you're at the point where you can spend a ton of time massing Warly stuff to then switch to and off of him, you're clearly far enough where there's nothing left to do so you having Warly food isn't this huge thing). Nearly nobody is doing that and those who do are choosing to. It is entirely their fault if they do it and then choosing to do it then acting like it's their only option is ridiculous. 

low elo coment

you should know that you must pick an early game character unless you wanna be ganked by the enemy explorer making you be behind the whole game babysited by your logger, losing fights at dragon against wendy+wigfrid combinations which means that they will rush celestial champion and win

seems like people arent allowed to enjoy one of the best downsides, he needs more perks when already has maaany. Glad that klei seems to care about adding downsides as shown in wx refresh

so your idea to make warly worth is to ruin food storage with a "because potatoe" exception on how bundles work? warly players play him because is fun not because are expecting a nerf added with "shoehorn" so people who dont play warly are forced to dont use the portal

Here’s a TL:DR list of things I want for Warly.

Butchers Machete- Yields 2x Veggies (example if you had one full carrot & cook it in a campfire instead of 1 cooked carrot you’d have 2) can also be used as a Melee Weapon and if the player scores the final blow on a mob with Machete- Yields twice the meat/Mm/Leafy Meat/horns etc..

Foods cooked by Warly can be flavored with an “Irresistible scent” which lures mobs in to eat it similar to baiting a trap with carrot/Berry.

Also Bundling/Spoilage decreasing gear as starting spawn in items- He’s a professional chef, my Boy is gonna know how to keep his meals fresh longer.

Thats it. 

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Might I introduce you to the chef pouch?

Not good enough, you have to give up the coveted backpack slot for it, I was thinking he would likely have Suran Wraps or something to preserve his meats with.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Melee Weapon and if the player scores the final blow on a mob with Machete- Yields twice the meat/Mm/Leafy Meat/horns etc..

Hitting a mob with a 68 damage dark sword until I think they're frail enough to be finished with a 20 or so damage butcher's machete to get some better drops actually sounds pretty fun. Could also have a low durability (and somewhat high cost to craft if it works with things like horns) to really encourage skillful use of it. 

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not good enough, you have to give up the coveted backpack slot for it, I was thinking he would likely have Suran Wraps or something to preserve his meats with.

It's only 2 less slots than a backpack and and adds 5 extra days on a item that lasted 20 days or 2.5 days on one that lasts 10.

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Your suggestion for Warly was a direct nerf to Warly and a potiental annoyance to Winnona players who play in multiplayer for the sake of the portal my big issues with these suggestions are ththe mindset that giving nerfs to these characters that might possibly stop people from using their perks when not playing them is better than removing the source of the issue this doesn't lead to a better experience for people who play them.

I guess I worded it wrong but in the last sentence of my comment I was agreeing that my suggestion wasn't good.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:31 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and used to dont have many upsides in form of food buffs

Oh, I see, I just meant that the extra food stats was all I feel he needed in his current state, meaning he keeps what he has and gets that too.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, Cheggf said:

Which isn't an upside, it's just making his downside less impactful. Nobody is thinking "boy oh boy, I should pick Warly since this first pierogi I eat will give me a couple extra points of health but it will quickly become worse than normal!". It was just there to make his downside easier. 

But you benefited from eating a variety of foods.

If you are good enough to be able to make a variety of things you can min-max your stats and come out on top.

Sure, thats probably just worse than cooking a stack of perogies as other characters, but still, it gave him something unique.

5 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Oh, I see, I just meant that the extra food stats was all I feel he needed in his current state, meaning he keeps what he has and gets that too.

But you benefited from eating a variety of foods.

If you are good enough to be able to make a variety of things you can min-max your stats and come out on top.

Sure, thats probably just worse than cooking a stack of perogies as other characters, but still, it gave him something unique.

i dont think it will benefit eating a variety of foods unless the stat lose for repeating dishes gets highly increase because if in the current version you can kill bosses or clean the ruins with simply a couple pierogies or/and hunger dish health like honey ham, getting more hp from them wont make you look after high hp dishes. Why would i waste time to prepare surf and turf to get, lets say, 78hp when 2 piergoies would give me 52+40 more than enough taking in count that warly get bonus armor and ends up fights way quickly than any character without portal shenanigans or mob armies. Same goes for sanity dishes when you need to prepare ice cream if you wanna make sure to have enough sanity while fighting fw for arround 3 min when he could prepare some taffy and get almost 20+15 sanity. And all of this taking in count that you only get the stat bonus with the first dish

i get the point of giving an attached upside but i dont think it is neccesary neither i think bonus stats is the best solution at all. As i said, what can make him more """"worth""""" to stick playing would be bonus timer on his dishes so in that way all his upsides will last longer so, if used with other characters, will be less efficient. Idk, i really like to think about which dishes would be the best and bring variety of dishes when im not confortable with the fight than only eating 1 dish to receive a lot of healing, wont feel like a downside when now you are eating dishes like any other character but repeating them make them worst

People, changes are good, game is being constantly developed, it's evolving, don't be sentimental, maybe something better will emerge.

Reading this topic is like going back in time, when people absolutely didn't wanted any changes to Gazlow in Heroes of the Storm, it didn't matter he was outdated as heck, everyone said he's OP because 1% of top players had very high winrate with him, while only accounting for like 3% of total games in a month, lol.

Stop holding this game back, get creative. take off your blinkers(this things horse have over his eyes)

The concept of Warly is just genius, because this game had already plenty of cooking going on. Roleplaying perspective is also one of the highest among other characters, like for example, you go into "ruins" with friends, you setup mini base and the monkeys, there's even a couple of ponds nearby, you take out from one bundling wrap a complete set of kitchenware, and you just go mad, surf n turf, meatballs, Glow Berry Mousse times 3, you'r welcome, bon appetit, it's awesome. I think the biggest problem is the ammount preparation you have to made before getting any value from him, this is what makes him even more of a swap character, because you already have everything prepared beforehand, and now you get instant value from Warly.

That's why I think 2nd question shoudn't be "Would he be a good character without his spices and buff dishes?", but "Would he be a good character without investing time in farm plots?" Personally I think it takes too much time growing crops, for a chef that's supposed to cook food.

I welcome the Idea of Warly getting a few more chef recipes as the game updates and we get more dishes. To balance him not being too OP we can make some of the ingredients not as easy to farm. 

here's some of my idea's

Fig Soup - 1 fig, 1 fish, 2 veggie (Peppers?) - increases Walking speed

Pulled Pork Poutine -  1 Mole bat Nostril, electric milk/ Milky whites , 2 potatoes - Decreases Hunger drain by 25-50%

Tomato Watermelon (feta)Salad - 1 Toma Root, 1 watermelon, 1 Butter/Milk, 1 veggie Filler -  Mobs won't attack player unprovoked for 2 minutes

Those are just some I came up with now. If anyone else has some idea's I'd love to hear it!

Don't know if it makes sense but I would prefer for the food buffs  to be stackable. For example by eating 5 spiced foods at once you get the buff for 2.5 days instead of having to eat every 4 minutes to keep the buff going

4 hours ago, Teoretycznie said:

People, changes are good, game is being constantly developed, it's evolving, don't be sentimental, maybe something better will emerge.

Reading this topic is like going back in time, when people absolutely didn't wanted any changes to Gazlow in Heroes of the Storm, it didn't matter he was outdated as heck, everyone said he's OP because 1% of top players had very high winrate with him, while only accounting for like 3% of total games in a month, lol.

Stop holding this game back, get creative. take off your blinkers(this things horse have over his eyes)

The concept of Warly is just genius, because this game had already plenty of cooking going on. Roleplaying perspective is also one of the highest among other characters, like for example, you go into "ruins" with friends, you setup mini base and the monkeys, there's even a couple of ponds nearby, you take out from one bundling wrap a complete set of kitchenware, and you just go mad, surf n turf, meatballs, Glow Berry Mousse times 3, you'r welcome, bon appetit, it's awesome. I think the biggest problem is the ammount preparation you have to made before getting any value from him, this is what makes him even more of a swap character, because you already have everything prepared beforehand, and now you get instant value from Warly.

That's why I think 2nd question shoudn't be "Would he be a good character without his spices and buff dishes?", but "Would he be a good character without investing time in farm plots?" Personally I think it takes too much time growing crops, for a chef that's supposed to cook food.

You are asking for Gazlowe to be the best damage dealer and the best tank and also a really good jungler and healer without even needing to level up to get his perks. 

Warly is nobody without his dishes. He has no good upsides to prevent people from character swapping and it takes eternity to get good amount of ingredients for those like peppers so if you like warly for spices you could be better picking wormwood and switching to warly for a day.

1 minute ago, Wonz said:

Warly is nobody without his dishes. He has no good upsides to prevent people from character swapping and it takes eternity to get good amount of ingredients for those like peppers so if you like warly for spices you could be better picking wormwood and switching to warly for a day.

Just like you're better switching to Wolfgang for a boss fight or to Maxwell to get logs or to Wendy to farm spiders. You guys larp that this is the only way to play but I never see anyone do it. 

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Just like you're better switching to Wolfgang for a boss fight or to Maxwell to get logs or to Wendy to farm spiders. You guys larp that this is the only way to play but I never see anyone do it. 

Same as switching is someone being a first choice. You see lots of wendys wolfgangs and more maxwells than warlys in publics because they have something, warly is just a downside most of the time. You'd see people switch more in long lasting worlds which actually have florid postern upgraded, bundling wraps and volt goat farm which is source of the best buffing dish. When I'm switching I'm farming with wormwood for corn and spices. Then I switch to warly, bundle plenty of spicy froids and fill an iceboxes, corn gets turned into powdercakes to be spiced with honey and garlic, they last forever, then I go fight bosses as wolfgang.

1 minute ago, Wonz said:

Same as switching is someone being a first choice. You see lots of wendys wolfgangs and more maxwells than warlys in publics because they have something, warly is just a downside most of the time. You'd see people switch more in long lasting worlds which actually have florid postern upgraded, bundling wraps and volt goat farm which is source of the best buffing dish. When I'm switching I'm farming with wormwood for corn and spices. Then I switch to warly, bundle plenty of spicy froids and fill an iceboxes, corn gets turned into powdercakes to be spiced with honey and garlic, they last forever, then I go fight bosses as wolfgang.

You see a lot of Wendys because she's really easy but I see more Warlys than Maxwells and Wolfgangs. Maybe because Maxwell just gets logs and Wolfgang just fights bosses and gets logs while Warly fights bosses, gets logs, and has many more perks than just those two.

You clearly don't like Warly, so don't play him. Problem solved. 

Archived