Does Warly need a touch-up?

Warly  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Is Warly a good character?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would he be a good character without his spices and buff dishes?

• Yes
    • No

I think we can all agree Warly is purly a pick and swap character, as there are no benifits directly to his character, instead only downsides. I dislike this and think he should be revisited in the future to make his gameplay more fun. As it stands Warly in DST differs from his SW counterpart in many ways:

* Unable to eat raw foods

* Less nutrition from crockpot foods (previously he had an extra 25% to all stats)

* Longer dish memory

* Chief pouch nerf

* Portable crockpot bugs

I think these make him very tedious to play compared SW warly. Sure he got a new support role in teams with his rework and his potential is higher but the changes above make Warly himself a tough pick, I for sure never play him outside of a breif stint to make his spices and dishes. I'm intrested to see what the community thinks. How do you like DST Warly?

4 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

* Less nutrition from crockpot foods (previously he had an extra 25% to all stats)

* Longer dish memory

= more interesting > sw's warly

2nd question makes no sense since food buffs and spices are his upsides

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

= more interesting > sw's warly

I really wanna know how. SW warly insentivises using crockpot dishes and learning the different recipes, and rewards you for doing so. DST just forces crockpot dishes, and punishes you if you can't. The less nutrition just makes his upkeep greater, and the extended dish memory makes the things i just mentioned worse.

Try and imagine Warly without his spices and buff dishes, would they be a good character? Would their gameplay be intresting?

19 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

I really wanna know how. SW warly insentivises using crockpot dishes and learning the different recipes, and rewards you for doing so. DST just forces crockpot dishes, and punishes you if you can't. The less nutrition just makes his upkeep greater, and the extended dish memory makes the things i just mentioned worse.

??? sw's warly was just a wilson with extra stats on dishes, it didnt made you want to learn more recipes since the frequently used ones were already more than enough. DST warly is who make you learn better recipes because you cant use taffy or cacti for sanity but needing stronger dishes like ice cream or salsa fresca, for hp you cant heal with blue caps so you need to know early game healing recipes and in more advanced stages of the game recipes like surf and turf in case the player needs a lot of healing for some reason like not having experience or doing a lot of fighting in a short period of time (ruins or several CC) and even then garlic solves by a lot this problem (my bundle only has piergoies and honey ham as healing foods..). The memory makes you rotate dishes instead of just spamming 1 all the time (sure you can spam meat stew but that would be even worst with your suggestion). How is that bad? with all the tools warly has you barelly need 1 or 2 healings per boss fight when you have some experience. Also warly has access to most of the healing options that wormwood players need to use just that jelly beans are easier to get as warly because of x3 damage and extra armor. Srly, i dont understand the complains

i imagine warly without spices and is way more interesting than sw's warly since his downside is actually noticeable and would change the way of playing instead of just spamming buterflies, carrots and blue caps in early and honey and pierogies in late. The truth is that maybe will happend like walter which has more punishment than reward in that scenario but will still better than having sw's warly. But you know what? food buffs are his upside so that scenario isnt real and if someone cares that much about the celestial portal can just ignore it and stop crying because every character can be used only for their upside, bringing this all the time with winona and warly is simply dumb. And if someone needs extra stats with a character that has between x1.8 and x3 buff, extra armor, extra working efficiency, weather inmunity, light and the best dishes stat wise in the game maybe that players should play another characters until they get used to the game and can try another more advanced characters

tbh these changes you suggest would ruin an interesting character for me, another one to dont be played ever again to the list. Not every character should be a faceroll, for that already exist wolfgang, wigfrid and company

31 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

* Longer dish memory

Dst Warly is way more fun than SW Warly, we don't need stuff like eating raw food and shorter food memory to make his downside matter less. 

Although, I do agree it would be nice to have his bonus stats from dishes back BUT if he gets that, he needs to have even longer food memory as well. 

19 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

Dst Warly is way more fun than SW Warly, we don't need stuff like eating raw food and shorter food memory to make his downside matter less. 

Although, I do agree it would be nice to have his bonus stats from dishes back BUT if he gets that, he needs to have even longer food memory as well. 

not only more time but harder % stat lose if that were included (which i doubt) since already eating 2 or 3 repeated foods have little penalty which is one of the reason i will never understand these topics

15 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if someone cares that much about the celestial portal can just ignore it and stop crying because every character can be used only for their upside

these changes you suggest would ruin an interesting character for me, another one to dont be played ever again to the list.

It's a comprimise. Warly is already close to never being played.

But you know what? food buffs are his upside

That's the problem.

I just want to add it still wasn't possible to spam any food raw or cooked with SW Warly anyway. the raw modifier was 0.7 to all stats and that applies with the repeat dish penalty.

52 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

I think we can all agree Warly is purly a pick and swap character

No no we can't infact I'm sure you'll find a large amount who disagree with this and what is that 2nd question why not just say if you remove character perks are they still good? Shipwrecked Warly once again had no real benefit aside from a different style of play btw you might just need practice with Warly with time you'll have less issues with his downsides.

42 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Try and imagine Warly without his spices and buff dishes, would they be a good character? Would their gameplay be intresting?

Try imagining any character with their main upsides removed would their gameplay be interesting? What your asking is hey try imagining Wendy without Abigail would she still be interesting? What she still had a sisturn right?

4 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

It's a comprimise. Warly is already close to never being played.

is that a problem when all the charts shows how people only play wigfrid and wendy?

5 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

That's the problem.

that is your problem with warly but not a warly problem

5 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

I just want to add it still wasn't possible to spam any food raw or cooked with SW Warly anyway. the raw modifier was 0.7 to all stats and that applies with the repeat dish penalty.

horrible and sw's warly didnt have as much tools as dst's warly so they made his downside more noticeable in exchange of having one of the best characters in the entire game

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

btw you might just need practice with Warly with time you'll have less issues with his downsides.

I have. He's boring.

Warlys "upside" is completely detached from his character.

19 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

Please explain this to me you would prefer a harder food management for a insignificant 1 time per food memory buff per dish?

2 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

I have. He's boring.

Warlys "upside" is completely detached from his character.

In your opinion facts disagree.

38 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Ok. This is like saying imagine wanda without her clocks would it be intresting? 

Also have you even played warly like atall? The points you mentioned sound bad on paper and in comparision to SW warly but ingame,its really not that bad. 

I am a half warly main(the other half is for the rest of the charecters.) i always make it a priority to farm garlic and pepper whenever i start a run with him. Extra dammage and protection is always great and with volt goat jelly he deals more dammage than any other charecter in a solo run.

I get what youre saying but i dont think its warlys fault. The celestial portal is kinda broken. Also i dont think many people switch charecters often, like you dont switch to wolfgang before every fight or switch to wx every time you wanna run around. I kinda like to stay the same charecter for atleast a year or two before changing. And warly is a good pick for those years. 

1 hour ago, kirihime said:

Is Wolfgang a swap character since you can just kill bosses as him then switch to someone else?

I don't get this "swap character" stuff

A swap character is a character whose benefits you can get while playing another character. You can't get wolfgang's damage bonus while playing another character. Hence he is not a swap character. You can get warly's damage bonus while playing another character. Hence he is a swap character.

Once you've made warly's buffs and bundled them, the celestial portal immediately renders him inferior to every other character except for wes, because every other character is (ideally) balanced around not having his buffs. One way to look at it is if a character is balanced at 0 with their downsides being -1 and their upsides being +1, Warly can confer his +1 to other characters, making them +1 whereas he is still 0. They effectively have every upside warly has with none of his downsides. Why play Warly at that point? As it is, there is simply no reason to play warly besides mindlessly cooking dishes and applying spices to them, which isn't very engaging gameplay. That's why I don't like swap characters. Same goes for Winona.

For this reason I would very much be in favor of either nerfing the Celestial Portal or giving warly an upside that cannot be conferred to other characters.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Please explain this to me you would prefer a harder food management for a insignificant 1 time per food memory buff per dish?

Yes I would. I do think Warly could use harder food management that would enforce using different dishes even more. Maybe instead of increasing food memory he could get harder penalties for repeating food. 

21 minutes ago, Frogzard said:

A swap character is a character whose benefits you can get while playing another character. You can't get wolfgang's damage bonus while playing another character. Hence he is not a swap character. You can get warly's damage bonus while playing another character. Hence he is a swap character.

Once you've made warly's buffs and bundled them, the celestial portal immediately renders him inferior to every other character except for wes, because every other character is (ideally) balanced around not having his buffs. One way to look at it is if a character is balanced at 0 with their downsides being -1 and their upsides being +1, Warly can confer his +1 to other characters, making them +1 whereas he is still 0. They effectively have every upside warly has with none of his downsides. Why play Warly at that point? As it is, there is simply no reason to play warly besides mindlessly cooking dishes and applying spices to them, which isn't very engaging gameplay. That's why I don't like swap characters. Same goes for Winona.

For this reason I would very much be in favor of either nerfing the Celestial Portal or giving warly an upside that cannot be conferred to other characters.

so?

2 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

dont blame it on warly, blame it on the players that use the moon portal

No, don't blame those players either, blame the system that incentivizes them to play that way. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

23 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

Yes I would. I do think Warly could use harder food management that would enforce using different dishes even more. Maybe instead of increasing food memory he could get harder penalties for repeating food. 

So what your saying is you want to make Warly a challenge character who actively punishes you for playing him the changes your suggesting only nerf Warly with zero benefit on the player's end for this change you'd have to be crazy to think the playerbase would support this change it wouldn't even encourage variety either unless you plan to nerf all the top hunger giving crockpot dishes or make his memory excessive like 5 to 6 days and I highly doubt anyone would support either.

45 minutes ago, Frogzard said:

Tbh at this point this just feels like a excuse by people who don't play Warly and don't care for his playstyle it's been said time and time again that the portal can be used in the same way for other characters the this whole idea is based on Warly not having anything amazing to show at other characters while ignoring his portable crockpot, faster cook speeds, buffs, and exclusive dishes are his things. Also Wolfgang is a swap character because I can just use his damage multiplier for a annoying fight then switch back to someone I want to play what Wolfgang did doesn't magically disappear just as what Warly cooked doesn't magically disappear you may not enjoy him but that's not a character flaw.

23 minutes ago, Frogzard said:

Don't you think it's an issue that you can spend 5 minutes to essentially make a character inferior to all the others?

no.

10 minutes ago, Frogzard said:

No, don't blame those players either, blame the system that incentivizes them to play that way. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

??? incentivizes to play in that way? i never played in that way and like me many other and even if was the case, who the hell cares? warly is a very fun character that can be enjoyed like everyone else, period

people dont play him that much cuz being less easy than others or/and having other characters that they enjoy more but that doesnt mean anything

Just now, Echsrick said:

yes it does, it effected me that i had to say this

how????? if you don't like the portal simply don't use it. There is no person behind you yelling you to use the damn portal because warly is a pick and swap character

Archived