[POLL] Wilbur in next update

Questions about Wilbur  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we are gonna get Wilbur as playable character for next update? Please write why.

• Yes, we are gonna get him in next one.
    • No, but we are gonna get it future updates.
    • I have no idea.
    • No we are not gonna get it ever.
  2. 2. Would you want to see him as playable character in next updates?

• YES, I want monke.
    • I'm undecided.
    • NO, not wanna monke.
  3. 3. If you picked second question "YES" , why is it? (Multiple choice)

• I think he have to much pottential for a DST porting rework.
    • I think he have great drawing, I like how is him look.
    • I think we need more monster characters like Wilbur.
    • I think he is gonna have great skins by looking to his vanilla look.
    • I just think we need a new character whoever it be.
    • I played w/ him in Shipwrecked and wanna taste that nostalgia again
    • I played w/ him in Shipwrecked and he is fun to play even without rework.
    • Another thing, I will reply it rn.
    • I picked "NO".
  4. 4. If you picked second question "NO" , why is it? (Multiple choice)

• I think he have NOT much pottential for a DST porting rework.
    • I think he have bad drawing, he looks bad.
    • I think we do NOT need more monster characters like Wilbur. Stay human.
    • I think he is gonna terrible skins by looking to his vanilla look.
    • I just think we do need new characters anymore. The one we have is enough.
    • I played w/ him in Shipwrecked and it was enough. Make him stay in SW.
    • I played w/ him in Shipwrecked and he is awful to play even a rework can fix his core.
    • We should get him as NPC.
    • Another thing, I will reply it rn.
    • I picked "YES".

We are definitely gonna get pirate monkeys, it might be kind of wave attacks that steals our stuffs. But I don't wanna discuss it in this post.

https://cdn.forums.klei.com/monthly_2022_06/silhouette_ooh_01.png.efe5ea6a7f96e2b07e5d1aa427fb13e4.png

Do you guys think this monkey update is gonna open a door or be the door itself for Wilbur in DST as a playable character? For those don't know who is Wilbur, he is a playable monkey character in don't starve shipwrecked.

image.jpeg.acec29241e91a01c39a50a2373eee8a2.jpeg

My thinking is:

Spoiler

As a person that really want to get Wilbur, I don't think we are gonna get it. Roadmap told us we are not getting a new character this year. But I highly believe we are gonna get him as NPC and he might be the king of the monkeys or something like that. Also want to mention that silhouette name is oooh which the only word that Wilbur can say. So I definitely can say it's about Wilbur.

We won't get Wilbur this year probably, both as a character and as NPC because he's a monkey king, not a monkey pirate captain, wouldn't fit well with the teaser sillhouette.

Although I would like to get him into DST, from obvious ideas, he would've got a nightmare form in his rework, and also, maybe, domesticated splumonkeys that would be an unique minion that would, uh, idk, maybe able to do more intelligent stuff than other minions like gardening/mass-cooking/gathering different stuff? But, if I'm not wrong, Klei somewhere said that they don't like porting singleplayer DS characters, so Wilbur is unlikely.

Wilbur: the pirate monkey king. 

Much like Antlion, he sends out swashbuckling primates to harass and plunder the survivors. The survivors must pay tribute to make the pirates neutral or defeat Wilbur. Should he be defeated, the pirate monkeys scatter and are weakened until Wilbur finds his way back.

The pirate monkeys could have small boats that shoot small non-lethal ammunition that primarily damages the boat or sails. And being monkeys, they can throw... fertilizer... at the survivors and crack open chests.

This idea needs more fleshing out and likely heavy revision from this Rose Appraiser.

I have the theory that the characters from the single player who are not in the game now will return as npc, so that new characters can come out that bring new elements to the story.

I'd still like to see wilbur on the character select screen, but I think he needs some new skills to work on a team.

tbh even if there was a chance for wilbur to be added in dst, main thing i would want it to happen not because gameplay(which would probably get reworked counting we already have wx as speed character and 4 different follower based characters) but because of his lore, i really want to know his story(which he laks a lot by having no quotes at all)

8 hours ago, KM_Harrowick said:

I feel like priorities should be finishing the character refreshes before any new characters.

Key word here is “New” characters, Wilbur is not new..

now to clarify that further: Warly was added to DST as a Character Rework, NOT a new Character.

Wormwood was added as a New Character but only because Xbox/PlayStation did not get Hamlet DLC until AFTER Wormwood was already added into DST for us (it gets confusing.. and I have no idea what determines if a character is “New” or “Reworked” but it is how Klei officially describes Warly/Wormwood.)

Would it be hard to port over Wilbur into DST? Absolutely not, in fact I’m pretty sure there are several mods for him already if your lucky enough to be on PC-

THIS is why the voting polls are so skewed: Because people on PC can just install a mod and They have playable Wilbur so obviously they’re going to vote “No” if they already can enjoy him.

Most of the animations for Wilbur are already done, so it wouldn’t be as time consuming as drawing/animating an actual brand new character from scratch.

Personally However, I would like to see new animations for Wilbur & add him into DST with a Unique trait no other character in the entire game currently has- the ability to dual wield items.. 

Thats it- One item in Hand Slot, one item in tail slot.. I can hold a lantern in my tail and chop wood at the same time, or I can hold an umbrella in my tail and use a sword (hopefully one I can steal from killing what appears to be pirate monkeys?) at the same time.

Trust me if WX78 can now have 2-3 different perks active at once- Suddenly a Dual Wielding Monkey doesn’t sound too hard to do.

rather get wilba than Wilbur, but having more island in the constant would make sailing more interesting so a monkey island with something to offer would be welcome, specially for the surface bananas and potencial base building 

I'd like to see a new island with monkeys and a killable Wilbur on it. No boss fight, nothing. He just wanders around with the same monkey AI as the others and you can kill him. Take his funny little monkey hat.

Am against him being added cause 1) I'd prefer to see something completely new rather than just re using old content and 2) wilbur really isnt that interesting, he's just a monkey, he doesnt say anything interesting (yes wes doesnt speak either but he still has a personality with his pantomimes and facial expressions) and he doesnt have any interesting/fun perks. He's really just the character you'd pick in singleplayer because he was good, thanks to his fast travel speed making RoG a breeze, and monkeys being some of the better minions out there.

I'm not against a reworked Wilbur being added to DST eventually, especially if he finally got Splumonkeys as allies or neutral mobs, since even in singleplayer he has zero synergy with any primate mobs other than the Shipwrecked monkeys and it seems like a massive missed opportunity. However, if we get a second Shipwrecked character added to DST in refreshed form and it's Wilbur of all people instead of Walani or Woodlegs getting to go first when both of them have ocean-focused mechanics and far more potential for interaction with the existing DST characters I'm going to flip a table.

10 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I'm not against a reworked Wilbur being added to DST eventually, especially if he finally got Splumonkeys as allies or neutral mobs, since even in singleplayer he has zero synergy with any primate mobs other than the Shipwrecked monkeys and it seems like a massive missed opportunity. However, if we get a second Shipwrecked character added to DST in refreshed form and it's Wilbur of all people instead of Walani or Woodlegs getting to go first when both of them have ocean-focused mechanics and far more potential for interaction with the existing DST characters I'm going to flip a table.

Walani's surfboard would need to turn into DST boats-like circle or square with x4 the size of normal surfboard for it to work properly with DST mechanics, and even then, people will just pick Walani once to craft the surfboards and never play as her again if she won't get additional perks.And Woodlegs, well, his sea legs would have same fate of needing to turn into DST boats-like thing.

So those two will be problematic. Especially considering that DST ocean is currently a bit empty for useful content, only lunar is visited often, the rest of biomes are almost forgotten and are a bit rare, while the rest of the sea is just filled with sea stacks.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Guys.. GUYS there is a Boomerang skin that turns it into a BANANA… do I really need to justify any other reason why Wilbur should be playable in the game?

nanarang

Archived